Zoe Saldana Still Facing Criticism For Nina Simone Role

most viewed right now
May 19 - African Americans lead other minority groups in terms of spending pow..
59 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Someone get F.B.I. Director James B. Comey on the line now!
35 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside This nigguh Don Q is a midget..No cap!!
101 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11-22-2012, 12:50 PM         #1
7136 pageviews
108 comments

s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

By Henna Kathiya

Zoe Saldana was captured at a newsstand checking out magazines amidst the growing controversy of her new role as Nina Simone in the upcoming biopic. When the 34-year-old actress revealed that she would be playing Nina Simone, controversy began, with critics questioning Saldana as the choice for lead actress.

Many claim that the "Avatar" actress (who is Dominican and Puerto Rican) is not “dark skinned enough” to play the legendary jazz singer the Daily Mail reports.

It seems as if Zoe has embraced the role, judging from pictures on set. The actress was captured wearing a short Afro wig and what looks like a prosthetic nose. She also looked like she had slightly darker make-up on in the pictures.

In response to these pictures, a petition has surfaced online asking filmmakers to cast someone more suitable for the role.

Even songstress India Arie wrote on her website: "YES they should have chosen someone who LOOKS like Nina Simone, ESPECIALLY since her RACE played such a PIVOTAL role in WHO, WHAT and WHY, she was. THAT ASIDE for a second, this just looks WEIRD, it looks like a person in Black(er) face with a fake nose … REALLY?!!!!" via Global Grind.
Many people are questioning Saldana’s Dominican and Puerto Rican background and wondering if she is the right choice for this role.

[pic - click to view]

[video - click to view]

108 comments for "Zoe Saldana Still Facing Criticism For Nina Simone Role"

5 years ago '11        #2
xo xo xo 85 heat pts85
space
space
space
$5,431 | Props total: 438 438
Yea I keep hearing about this. Some people want Lauren Hill or Angie Stone to play Nina Simone. Plus it's not even an authorized film.
 5 years ago '09        #3
That Guy Fly 21 heat pts21
space
space
$67,286 | Props total: 13529 13529

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '04        #4
One-O-One 14 heat pts14
space
space
$10,198 | Props total: 8933 8933
 Fly 2ndComing said:

[pic - click to view]

i wont be watching off principle.
 11-22-2012, 08:09 PM         #5
FreshBoideuce  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Fly 2ndComing said:

[pic - click to view]

:ohhellnonas:
 5 years ago '10        #6
Nautilus O 18 heat pts18
space
space
$16,079 | Props total: 11951 11951
Let's think about this, Charlize Theron is beautiful and won an Oscar for playing an ugly woman. Zoe's a better actress than any of those mentioned.

Sound like hate to me
 11-22-2012, 08:55 PM         #7
Games Addict  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
shut the fu*k up... its about acting isn't it? If she can act then what the fu*k is the problem? A little make up should fix the skin color issue... I'm not saying that should cast a white chick to play this role, but Zoe ain't white. Even at a glance you can see she has black lineage. Who cares you fu*king babies. She's a good choice.

this is not an issue of performance.

this is about blackface
But she is part black

Last edited by Games Addict; 11-22-2012 at 08:57 PM..
 5 years ago '10        #8
Alerts 222 heat pts222
space
space
$15,631 | Props total: 5617 5617
I was listening to this on NPR and this is stupid, hire a light skin Latino to play a darker skin African American just to put a fake nose and dark make up on her.
 5 years ago '09        #9
WasabiTuna 20 heat pts20
space
space
$6,763 | Props total: 8903 8903
LMAO at the racist white guys from the news section showing up. and even bigger LMAO at Zoe Saldana being a better actress then Charlize Theron.
 5 years ago '09        #10
WasabiTuna 20 heat pts20
space
space
$6,763 | Props total: 8903 8903
 Games Addict said:
shut the fu*k up... its about acting isn't it? If she can act then what the fu*k is the problem? A little make up should fix the skin color issue... I'm not saying that should cast a white chick to play this role, but Zoe ain't white. Even at a glance you can see she has black lineage. Who cares you fu*king babies. She's a good choice.

But she is part black
black latina maybe but there isn't any african american in that ho.
 5 years ago '10        #11
Alerts 222 heat pts222
space
space
$15,631 | Props total: 5617 5617
All this PR, the movie will do numbers and her career will take off; but who made this dumb a.ss decision to cast this actress
 5 years ago '11        #12
xo xo xo 85 heat pts85
space
space
space
$5,431 | Props total: 438 438
I think the casting directors just wanted a known name for this movie. It's just like the movie A Star Is Born. Where they had Beyonce playing the lead role. Luckily she dropped out of that film.

[pic - click to view]

Adepero Oduye looks more like Nina Simone.
 5 years ago '11        #13
UrbanGAAWD 209 heat pts209
space
space
$7,296 | Props total: 1074 1074

[pic - click to view]

Not gonna watch this and will down this sh*t hole movie to anyone that will listen
 5 years ago '06        #14
Stupid Fresh 188 heat pts188
space
space
$25,097 | Props total: 7256 7256
sh*t aint never coming out
 5 years ago '11        #15
1andonlyKingP 108 heat pts108
space
space
$13,547 | Props total: 5285 5285
This sh*t is dumb as hell. It's not that big of a deal.

The funny part is that they originally wanted Mary J. Blige to play Nina. And she looks nothing like Nina either and ain't much darker than Zoe.

The problem is that people seem to think Zoe ain't Black. Which is bullsh*t. Zoe has been casted as a Black women before and has admitted many times that she is Black. She has always said "Yo soy una mujer negra". Literally mean "I am a Black women".

But you have ignorant and uninformed people that really think that if you speak Spanish, you can't be Black We came from African slaves as well. Some of us are just as Black as your average AA/West Indian. Spanish is just a language. Stop treating it like it's more than that.

Just another example of how Afro-Latinos have it worse than any other Black people.
 5 years ago '09        #16
Jacc Blacc 56 heat pts56
space
space
$25,849 | Props total: 9382 9382
 Fly 2ndComing said:

[pic - click to view]

couldnt they have just found out a dark skinned nappy haired actor instead of getting a sleek haired domican and nappying her up with black paint
 5 years ago '09        #17
That Guy Fly 21 heat pts21
space
space
$67,286 | Props total: 13529 13529
They could have gotten several other actresses to play this role, especially when there are many who act and sing. I understand they needed the big name for recognition and to draw people to the box office but this is so fu*king wrong.
 11-23-2012, 02:15 AM         #18
lifeundthescope  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jacc Blacc said:
couldnt they have just found out a dark skinned nappy haired actor instead of getting a sleek haired domican and nappying her up with black paint
Is your white a.ss serious? Gtfo bruh you're a fu*king jackass.
 5 years ago '07        #19
carltouss619 8 heat pts
space
space
$9,451 | Props total: 670 670
 1andonlyKingP said:
This sh*t is dumb as hell. It's not that big of a deal.

The funny part is that they originally wanted Mary J. Blige to play Nina. And she looks nothing like Nina either and ain't much darker than Zoe.

The problem is that people seem to think Zoe ain't Black. Which is bullsh*t. Zoe has been casted as a Black women before and has admitted many times that she is Black. She has always said "Yo soy una mujer negra". Literally mean "I am a Black women".

But you have ignorant and uninformed people that really think that if you speak Spanish, you can't be Black We came from African slaves as well. Some of us are just as Black as your average AA/West Indian. Spanish is just a language. Stop treating it like it's more than that.

Just another example of how Afro-Latinos have it worse than any other Black people.
shut the fu*k up, its rare and i mean rare when a black latino embraces their african roots. Most of the time they too busy denying it talking about they are this and that blah blah. Too busy kissing the whiteness of the spanish and brainwashed like no other. fu*k out of here
 11-23-2012, 08:00 AM         #20
s7venwords  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
No disrespect to Zoe but... casting her is disrespectful to the memory of Nina Simone.

Great video of Nina explaining her fellings in songs.

[video - click to view]

Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside The Deep Dark Web
103 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Giving out da ehroll and the wet noodle🍲
24 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside When you pretend her jokes are funnier than they are so you can smash
29 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Playboi Carti gets exposed
139 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Cardi B Speech But She Only Makes Weird Noises
50 comments
20 hours ago