GameStop Set To Close 200 Stores, Blames “The Longevity of the Current Console Cycle”

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
119 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
56 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
34 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
88 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #1
6152 pageviews
80 comments

Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
GameStop Set To Close 200 Stores, Blames “The Longevity of the Current Console Cycle”

[pic - click to view]

I really don’t know what to make of this news. On one hand, GameStop has been outclassed recently by Best Buy’s trade in offers and Amazon’s sales, with them still not offering enough of a discount on used titles. On the other, it means that a lot of people will be out of jobs.

Either way, Gamestop announced at their Q3 earnings that they will be shutting down 200 stores out of their over 6,000, due to a sales drop of 8.3%. Don’t feel too bad for them though, they still made $1.77 billion during their third quarter.

They didn’t say which stores would be closing and at what time, but the CEO of Gamestop, J. Paul Raines, did attribute the drop to “the longevity of the current console cycle and the difficult comparison of major new software titles released during the third quarter of 2012.”

[
[pic - click to view]

Source 1
[pic - click to view]

/
[pic - click to view]

]

80 comments for "GameStop Set To Close 200 Stores, Blames “The Longevity of the Current Console Cycle”"

5 years ago '07        #2
Nothavingit 53 heat pts53
space
space
$5,737 | Props total: 1136 1136
well damn
 5 years ago '11        #3
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
Hopefully those people can get back on their feet, we only have a month left until christmas.
 5 years ago '10        #4
shadydre85 34 heat pts34
space
space
$9,407 | Props total: 2356 2356
bout time fu*k those crooks
 11-17-2012, 11:14 AM         #5
IronMaiden 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Blame your gouging and sh*tty business practice.
 5 years ago '04        #6
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602 OP
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
 shadydre85 said:
Their crooks because people choose to accept their prices... Stop trading games into them and their prices will go up...
 5 years ago '10        #7
shadydre85 34 heat pts34
space
space
$9,407 | Props total: 2356 2356
 Da Ill One said:
Their crooks because people choose to accept their prices... Stop trading games into them and their prices will go up...
thats not what i was told from a friend who works at gamestop he said there using this ression to there advantage by giving you little bit of money for sh*t you should get doubble fo,r like right now if you trade in a 360 they give you $30 and then they re-sell it for $130. fu*kin r*pe! fu*k them hope they go down in flames!! i seen soo many people get riped off by them its not even funny.

Last edited by shadydre85; 11-17-2012 at 12:17 PM..
 11-17-2012, 11:22 AM         #8
IronMaiden 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Da Ill One said:
Although i agree with the if you don't like it don't shop/trade there, i still feel 0 sympathy for the franchise and i am glad more stores are closing because maybe this will be a fu*king wake up call.

Do i feel bad about the employees? Sure, it sucks to lose a job but these giant franchises like Wal-Mart, Gamestop etc. that put local establishments out of business only to fu*k over people makes it really hard for me to feel any type of sympathy for them. If Gamestop adopted a better consumer model like giving FAIR trade ins and not selling used games for $55 i guarantee more people would trade and more people would buy. Take Best Buy for example, although their trade-in system isn't the best they almost ALWAYS have 100% trade in, i can trade in a.ssassins Creed 3 right now for $40, Gamestop gives what? $20? $25 if you are a power up reward member? You might get $45 on craigslist for AC3 so that is a great trade in deal.

I know Gamestop does the trade back first week or whatever on some big titles where you can return it in 7 days and get $40 but their whole model of low-balling is just sickening at times not to mention they try to press opened games as new to most people. I don't care if that disc was never played, once that seal is broken and that disc leaves that case? It's fu*king used. It's not NEW.
 5 years ago '11        #9
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
That offer actually runs for the first month. As for the whole "not new" argument, just get the game sealed.
 11-17-2012, 11:29 AM         #10
One Gud Cide 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I've had sealed games with scratches, and in the N64 games I had carts with saves on them. You know they reshrink the games in the back right because employees are allowed to "rent" them?
 11-17-2012, 11:29 AM         #11
IronMaiden 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jesszman said:
That offer actually runs for the first month. As for the whole "not new" argument, just get the game sealed.
That not new argument is valid when they say "this is the only copy we have"

And the fact a lot of parents and kids go in and pay $65 for an open game is bullsh*t and it shouldn't be legal for a company to sell something opened as new.

One Gud Cide said:
I've had sealed games with scratches, and in the N64 games I had carts with saves on them. You know they reshrink the games in the back right because employees are allowed to "rent" them?
Another example i completely forgot about, how the fu*k is this even legal?

I remember buying pokemon platinum NEW from them and it had a 30 hour save on it. Nobody can defend this sh*t. It's a scumbag practice.
 5 years ago '09        #12
Acid Rap 78 heat pts78
space
space
$9,302 | Props total: 71 71
I don't sympathize with Gamestop but I do their employees. Having the fear of being laid off at any time, especially Christmas time is no joke. My luck, I got blindsided by a layoff the same day the PS3 originally launched, Nov. 17, 2006 I think it was, and it was terrible. Talk about depressing. Changes everything. Unemployment only goes so far for so long.
 5 years ago '09        #13
DrizzyJT 12 heat pts12
space
space
$6,912 | Props total: 65 65
fu*k them
 5 years ago '09        #14
Acid Rap 78 heat pts78
space
space
$9,302 | Props total: 71 71
 IronMaiden said:
That not new argument is valid when they say "this is the only copy we have"

And the fact a lot of parents and kids go in and pay $65 for an open game is bullsh*t and it shouldn't be legal for a company to sell something opened as new.

Another example i completely forgot about, how the fu*k is this even legal?

I remember buying pokemon platinum NEW from them and it had a 30 hour save on it. Nobody can defend this sh*t. It's a scumbag practice.
I refuse to take a 'new' open box copy of a game any more. They got me on that sh*t with Arkham Asylum GotY Edition. sh*t was beat up already and missing the 3D glasses; which they couldn't even find after I called and complained. That policy is definitely the worst.
 5 years ago '09        #15
TriniSoldier 64 heat pts64
space
space
$48,949 | Props total: 22222 22222
 shadydre85 said:
cosign
 5 years ago '04        #16
kulabear 23 heat pts23
space
space
$10,755 | Props total: 1383 1383
Sucks for the employees but to hell with gamestop. I haven't bought anything from the company since I had a problem with frozen throne expansion for wc3. I bought it from gamestop and battlenet said the key was already in use. They wouldn't do anything, and said that I probably used the key. I was hella pissed and said I'd never buy from them again, so far so good.
 11-17-2012, 11:47 AM         #17
IronMaiden 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Acid Rap said:
I refuse to take a 'new' open box copy of a game any more. They got me on that sh*t with Arkham Asylum GotY Edition. sh*t was beat up already and missing the 3D glasses; which they couldn't even find after I called and complained. That policy is definitely the worst.
Yeah it's fu*king dumb.

When XCOM came out they tried to force an open copy on me and i just walked out.
 5 years ago '10        #18
walker2781 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,826 | Props total: 4 4
Damn I didnt know BestBuy was taking trade ins. Well after all this awesome info, I will be taking my business to BestBuy.
 11-17-2012, 11:50 AM         #19
IronMaiden 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 walker2781 said:
Damn I didnt know BestBuy was taking trade ins. Well after all this awesome info, I will be taking my business to BestBuy.

They are currently giving 100% trade in on ALL games. Just look at the trade in value on the site and double it. Halo 4 is $40, AC3 is $40, BLOPS 2 is $40, BL2 is like $36 i think. Sometimes they do 100% on console trade ins which isn't bad. That is ONE thing i will give gamestop is sometimes they will have a great console trade in deal. like 50-75% trade in +$100 or whatever.
 11-17-2012, 12:07 PM         #20
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the CEO won't take a hit to his check book so fu*k the little guy, fu*k you little guy!

These guys make a fu*king k!lling raping uninformed consumers and they top it off by firing their pushers. fu*k these guys.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
82 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
27 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Dec 10 - Putin: America Is Godless, Has Turned Away from Christian Values
132 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
48 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
297 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty “Ice Tray” (Joe Budden Diss)
76 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Eminem's First Week numbers for every album ranked
51 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
215 comments
1 day ago