GTA V File Size May Need More Than Two Discs on Xbox 360

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
147 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
86 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
77 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
133 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #1
7073 pageviews
92 comments

Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
GTA V File Size May Need More Than Two Discs on Xbox 360

GTA Vís second trailer has definitely brought thunder to gamers and critiques. As expected, theories have sprouted from all four corners of the gamingsphere and the most interesting ones weíve uncovered is all about GTA Vís file size requiring multiple discs for Xbox 360.

Data Mining

Before we delve deeper on the discussion, it would be interesting to data mine first all the facts we needed on settling the argument ó like, the number of discs required for GTA IV and Rockstarís two recently published titles: L.A Noire & Max Payne for Xbox 360.

GTA IV: Needs 1 disc For Xbox 360 while 2 discs for PC (at least 16GB of storage required)
L.A Noire: Needs 3 discs For Xbox 360 (for single player, multiplayer and cutscenes) while 2 discs for PC (at least 17GB of storage required).
Max Payne: Needs 2 discs for Xbox 360 and 4 discs for PC (at least 35GB of storage).

(PC storage requirement based from Rockstar Support Page)

GTA V With More than Two Discs Is Possible, IfÖ

Using the data we have above, we can get a good scenario on how many discs will GTA V require.

First, weíll try to quote G.Iís cover for GTA Vís map size stating it would be bigger than GTA IV + San Andreas + Red Dead Redemption combined. Does bigger map size equates to bigger environment? Of course. But does that equate to bigger file size? Not necessarily if, Rockstar would hire script-kiddies to compress Vís textures, audio and other elements ó a similar move done by Bethesda to Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

But we should remember, Rockstar Games ainít Bethesda.

This is the part where we can use the data above. As you can see, it shows Rockstar donít really like to do any compression for its games. Take a look at GTA IV eating 7GB of space for 1 DVD then it jumped to two disc for PC; while Max Payne 3 required 2 DVDs (a total of 15-16GB of space) then it jumped to a whopping 35GB of file size on PC. The only exception here is L.A Noire, which was compressed when it was ported to PC, simply because it was mainly developed by Team Bondi and, you canít really expect PC gamers to buy six DVDs for a single game.

Another Important Thing

GTA Vís engine is different from L.A Noire. The latter used Team Bondiís facial capture technology that really put a toll on calculating its total storage; Meanwhile, the former is expected to use a technology similarly with GTA IV although itís still debatable if itíll go ala Max Payne 3 style where single-layer and multiplayer are separated on two different discs.

Results

Based from Rockstarís history, L.A Noire is the only published game that required 3 Disc for X360. But since GTA V wonít be using facial recognition technology, it would be safe to a.ssume the sandbox title will require 2 DVDs at least. Then again, a possibility may arrive wherein the company will separate the cutscenes or bonus content to a third DVD.

Interestingly, thereís also a similar discussion here wherein players are debating about Vís file size and disc requirement. But one thing is fore sure though, the game wonít require four disc for Xbox 360 simply because it would increase the cost of its production and wonít meet the $60 line for a triple-A title.

So how many discs do you think GTA V will require on Microsoftís box? Show your interesting comment below.

[pic - click to view]

GTA V File Size May Need More Than Two Discs on Xbox 360 (Analysis) | Pinoytutorial Techtorial

I'm guessing 3 discs sounds reasonable. Hoping it'll be available for download though.

92 comments for "GTA V File Size May Need More Than Two Discs on Xbox 360"

5 years ago '04        #2
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
$30,668 | Props total: 523 523
Shut up jizzman.
 5 years ago '04        #3
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
if LA Noire was three this will be at least three...maybe four
 5 years ago '04        #4
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
 Da Ill One said:
if LA Noire was three this will be at least three...maybe four
That's an extremely short-sighted and elementary way to look at it.
  1. The two games are using two completely different engines. Bondi's facial capture engine might take a lot more disc space -- Rockstar North isn't using that engine or anything similar.
  2. Team Bondi's compression techniques might not be as good as Rockstar North's.
  3. People said the same thing about SA on the PS2 when they found out how much bigger it'd be than GTA3 and Vice City.
I'm not saying this game will be one disc, but don't just talk out of your a.ss like that.
 5 years ago '12        #5
dingbat 11 heat pts11
space
space
$1,784 | Props total: 4 4
Thread would be a little better if you actually owned a 360.

11-15-2012, 09:30 AM         #6
LaRy BLanco 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
360 version is still gonna sell more

and who cares

max payne 3 was 4 discs on PC and thats the best version of all three

keep losing jizzmen
 5 years ago '04        #8
space
space
 e G o Maniac said:
  1. The two games are using two completely different engines. Bondi's facial capture engine might take a lot more disc space -- Rockstar North isn't using that engine or anything similar.
  2. Team Bondi's compression techniques might not be as good as Rockstar North's.
  3. People said the same thing about SA on the PS2 when they found out how much bigger it'd be than GTA3 and Vice City.
I'm not saying this game will be one disc, but don't just talk out of your a.ss like that.
Good points but it's not really talking out of my a.ss... The facial technology took up alot of space yes...but Rockstar also helped with LA Noire, they didn't sit back and publish it they also helped make and fine tune the game...so to think that Rockstar would let Team Bondi's "Inferior" compression technique be used is elementary and short sighed way to think as well... it's almost guaranteed to be two disks if Halo 4 is... Which I know one disc is MP and the other is SP for Halo so considering the size and scope of GTA V, it's a pretty good chance it will at least be two discs I personally think it will be three discs...
 5 years ago '12        #10
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,762 | Props total: 22144 22144
roflmfao
 5 years ago '06        #11
coolio 57 heat pts57
space
space
$18,375 | Props total: 9 9
Then again, a possibility may arrive wherein the company will separate the cutscenes or bonus content to a third DVD.

hold up, so the cutscenes would be on a completely different disc? how would that work? is that how it was for L.A. Noire?

anyways it's clear that the ps3 will definitely have the better version..the game's being developed on the ps3 and it's only one disc
 5 years ago '04        #12
space
space
 coolio said:

hold up, so the cutscenes would be on a completely different disc? how would that work? is that how it was for L.A. Noire?

anyways it's clear that the ps3 will definitely have the better version..the game's being developed on the ps3 and it's only one disc
Well the disc with the cut scenes would be installed on the HDD and you owuld play off another disc, so whenever the cut scenes kicks in it would load off the HDD instead of the disc...
 5 years ago '04        #13
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
 Da Ill One said:
Well the disc with the cut scenes would be installed on the HDD and you owuld play off another disc, so whenever the cut scenes kicks in it would load off the HDD instead of the disc...
This would be the most ideal solution. Microsoft should have been showing more developers how to use the second disc for pure content installation ever since they made installation possible. EA kinda got it right with the BF3 texture pack, but hopefully more developers code their multi-disc games to work this way.
 5 years ago '06        #14
coolio 57 heat pts57
space
space
 Da Ill One said:

ok i figured it was something like that..would suck for those who dont have much space on their xbox tho
 5 years ago '04        #15
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
 Da Ill One said:
Good points but it's not really talking out of my a.ss... The facial technology took up alot of space yes...but Rockstar also helped with LA Noire, they didn't sit back and publish it they also helped make and fine tune the game...so to think that Rockstar would let Team Bondi's "Inferior" compression technique be used is elementary and short sighed way to think as well... it's almost guaranteed to be two disks if Halo 4 is... Which I know one disc is MP and the other is SP for Halo so considering the size and scope of GTA V, it's a pretty good chance it will at least be two discs I personally think it will be three discs...
Which Rockstar studio helped on LA Noire? Can't find any info on that. All I remember reading is that Rockstar (the publisher) absolutely hated working with Team Bondi and that they'd likely never do it again (which came true since the studio was shut down). Rockstar funneled more money into the project to make it work, but I don't see anything to suggest that any of Rockstar's studios helped with the game at a deep level. Rockstar North or San Deigo (their best studios, and the ones working on GTA 5) don't seem to be connected from what I can see. And even if they did help Bondi, who's to say their compression techniques were used for LA Noire? With a completely different and unique engine and file structures that Rockstar probably never had to deal with they were more likely to be forced to use Bondi's compression (or lack thereof). There's more to it than what you're letting on. Neither of us knows in which way, exactly. My main point was that you shouldn't make those types of broad a.ssumptions. It's not some "A squared + b squared = c squared" type deal.

Last edited by EGO; 11-15-2012 at 11:01 AM..
 11-15-2012, 11:00 AM         #16
LaRy BLanco 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 coolio said:
ok i figured it was something like that..would suck for those who dont have much space on their xbox tho
stop actin like a hdd aint required to play ps3 games

ps3 has to rely on hdd more than the 360 does
 5 years ago '06        #17
coolio 57 heat pts57
space
space
 LAwLB15 said:
stop actin like a hdd aint required to play ps3 games

ps3 has to rely on hdd more than the 360 does

yeah but ps3 doesnt come in versions with only 4GB

hardly having any space then needing to install a disc that consists of nothing but GBs of cutscenes? real life?
 5 years ago '05        #18
TattooedMPsz 50 heat pts50
space
space
$25,379 | Props total: 8057 8057
 e G o Maniac said:
one thing i can agree with u which is truth packers fans still are <<<<<< on bx
 5 years ago '05        #20
TattooedMPsz 50 heat pts50
space
space
$25,379 | Props total: 8057 8057
 KRCROOKSNY said:
Is that really dude?
yea thats him hes a clown, troll, idiot etc etc.
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
147 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
89 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
78 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
95 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
71 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
297 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snippets of American Dream-Cole ft. Kendrick
45 comments
2 days ago