Nov 7 - Legalizing Marijuana Is A 'Conflict That's Going To be Huge' In The Workplace

most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
84 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Benzino Speaks On Joe Budden's Opinion Of Eminem's Music
67 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
44 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Man is thrown 45 feet off bridge for intervening in couple's ..
47 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11-07-2012, 08:03 PM         #1
7150 pageviews
81 comments

Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nov 7 - Legalizing Marijuana Is A 'Conflict That's Going To be Huge' In The Workplace

The pro-pot movement won a huge victory on Tuesday when Colorado and Washington became the first states to legalize marijuana for recreational purposes.

But what does this mean for the professional world? Will it be legal for employers to fire their workers for smoking pot?

We'll have to wait and see.

The new law makes it OK for people to smoke in the privacy of their own homes, and there's no telling what impact that could have on the workplace.

"It ultimately comes down to what the company policy says," Lori Adelson, a labor and employment attorney and partner with law firm Arnstein & Lehr, told us.

Many who have required drug tests in the past will decide whether to continue to do so, but Adelson advised all employers in Colorado and Washington to immediately draft up a company policy so that there's a clear understanding of what's expected from their workers.

For example, if an employee decides to smoke before coming into the office and is later terminated for being high on the job, Adelson said the employer may "have a stronger position" if the case goes to court because federal law still deems pot as illegal.

"I think it's going to be pushed and it's going to be troubling," Adelson said. "You'll end up seeing this in the Supreme Court."

Since pot is illegal in federal laws, if you're an employee who receives any federal funding, you should carefully consider smoking at all, Adelson said. Even if you're smoking at home, traces of marijuana remains in the body for a long period of time, and you can still be considered "high" on the job if you're tested positive for pot.

This is also true if you're a business owner renting office space in a low-income, government-owned property.

The marijuana referendum only allows smoking in private, so publicly smoking on your work break is still banned, but Adelson said it's unknown how this will affect workers who have been prescribed marijuana for medical purposes since this could violate the Americans with Disability Act.

"This [issue] will definitely be tested in court, but, no, I don't think [marijuana] will ever be acceptable in a workplace environment."
Read more:
[pic - click to view]

Legalizing Weed Will Affect Work - Business Insider

81 comments for "Nov 7 - Legalizing Marijuana Is A 'Conflict That's Going To be Huge' In The Workplace"

5 years ago '04        #2
TheGreatDane 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,458 | Props total: 367 367
I just asked that sh*t yesterday.
 5 years ago '12        #3
wiz kantinflas 103 heat pts103
space
space
$4,551 | Props total: 456 456
At least we're taking steps...big steps
 5 years ago '08        #4
slimdogg3325 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,871 | Props total: 719 719
 11-07-2012, 09:42 PM         #5
CS35  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 5 years ago '10        #6
SickaMorStyle 402 heat pts402
space
space
$3,994 | Props total: 1 1
some companies might or might not continue their policies, but I bet the one that dont care will be more productive because of happier employees, high while working or not. Then what about insurance companies, im sure they have some policies that frown pot.
 5 years ago '07        #7
S0ap 19 heat pts19
space
space
$2,424 | Props total: 291 291
how is it an issue? treat it the same as being drunk on the job - problem solved.
 11-07-2012, 10:15 PM         #8
Mariah Carey  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
things movin foreward. might actually see this sh*t legalized across the country in my lifetime. never thought I'd say that.
 5 years ago '08        #9
d3athb4dishonor 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,469 | Props total: 561 561
 S0ap said:
how is it an issue? treat it the same as being drunk on the job - problem solved.
Yeah but what if I just smoke strictly away from work? Unfortunately if they give you a drug test its gonna say positive.

I'm happy we passed Amendment 64 but I was wondering how other would affect the work place.
 11-07-2012, 10:24 PM         #10
StatisticZ  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Honestly all this is gonna prove is it can't work, lol.. I'm not anti-marijuana but it's really going to complicate things in these states. It'll probably start off like most jobs alcohol policy; "you should not consume any alcoholic beverages within 7 hours of work" and so on.
 11-07-2012, 10:26 PM         #11
ManWithoutFear!  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This kid at my job stay high. You know muthafuhkas who smoke weed just have this uncontrollable urge to tell every goddamn body that sh*t. Hes the kid that pushes the cart with the mail & the printing paper & sometimes takes lunch orders & sh*t. He aint doin nothin too hard so it is what it is. I got febreeze on my desk just for that cat. Im honestly surprised he still gotta gig. That weed smell strong as hell when he around. Lol
 5 years ago '04        #12
cledee23 
space
space
$853 | Props total: 4 4
it will be like alcohol, if your boss, has suspicion, you can be sent home, or fired,
 5 years ago '10        #13
shoeprano27 23 heat pts23
space
space
$5,723 | Props total: 46 46
hopefully, this gets that synthetic bullsh*t off the streets. sh*t be k!llin people.
 5 years ago '11        #14
GetuOne 73 heat pts73
space
space
$4,475 | Props total: 6 6
You Dems are like children f!ghting mom and dad about what time you can go to bed and when you can have dessert. I love how defying rules and regulations and taking an allowance from your government, like children, is your idea of progressive. Don't put baby in a corner, that's your modo.

Since when was not doing what your told, like a spoiled child, considered progressive. Taking the foundation of this country apart brick by brick.

All the family and friends that I know who move to Colorado or California are lost souls with no structure in their lives to begin with. It doesn't make since we're using Colorado as a beacon for change and a model for the future America.

Last edited by GetuOne; 11-08-2012 at 02:19 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #15
Damagegadget 492 heat pts492
space
space
$35,398 | Props total: 16088 16088
if they start these kind of tests..as with any drug..they should be testing to see if people are on pain pills and isht at work..afterall the excuse would be that it impairs judgement etc..so test those mo suckies on all them pills too
 5 years ago '04        #16
LordBlanco|M 50 heat pts50
space
space
$35,044 | Props total: 19868 19868
well you cant drink on the job.... so dont smoke.... whats so hard?

and its embarrassing that it took this long while alcohol remained legal.... seriously..

bottom line...... drug tests should only be for hard drugs... not fu*king weed.... getting laid off even though you were a good worker because you showed up positive for weed and negative for everything else? That's some shameful sh*t.

Last edited by LordBlanco; 11-08-2012 at 02:06 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #17
CadillacVyse 944 heat pts944
space
space
$27,668 | Props total: 16923 16923
I thought weed heads knew how to beat that sh*t?
 11-08-2012, 02:23 PM         #18
popesucks561  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 CadillacVyse said:
I thought weed heads knew how to beat that sh*t?
 5 years ago '06        #19
Yung Dilla 1478 heat pts1478
space
space
$54,884 | Props total: 25666 25666
I smoke weed and my job only test of you give them reason too. I smoke a j before work and get my sh*t done!!
 5 years ago '07        #20
Damagegadget 492 heat pts492
space
space
$35,398 | Props total: 16088 16088
 TanstA! said:
well you cant drink on the job.... so dont smoke.... whats so hard?

and its embarrassing that it took this long while alcohol remained legal.... seriously..

bottom line...... drug tests should only be for hard drugs... not fu*king weed.... getting laid off even though you were a good worker because you showed up positive for weed and negative for everything else? That's some shameful sh*t.

thing about reefer is how long it stays in system tho... I guess perhaps they should have some kind of intoxication meter like a breathalizer for herb
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
71 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
35 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
288 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
95 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
93 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
129 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
242 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
55 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy