Nov 5 - Why 40% of Americans Won't Vote for President

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
145 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
84 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
77 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
131 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '06        #1
5995 pageviews
74 comments

nightmare 429 heat pts429
space
space
$13,073 | Props total: 37 37
Nov 5 - Why 40% of Americans Won't Vote for President

The United States may be an iconic democracy, but every year many Americans don't bother voting at all—regardless of lower turnout caused by events like Hurricane Sandy.
The United States ranks 120th of the 169 countries for which data exists on voter turnout, falling between the Dominican Republic and Benin, according to a January 2012 study from the Institute for Democracy and Electoral a.ssistance. (Not all countries ranked were democracies, a factor that could skew the results.)
About 60 percent of eligible voters will likely cast ballots Tuesday (Nov. 6), a lower percentage than in most other Western democracies, said Michael McDonald, a political scientist at George Mason University.
Experts say the low turnout results from how often Americans conduct elections, the inconvenience of voting and the reality that each individual vote doesn't count for much.

Voting inconvenient
"Part of the issue is we have too much democracy," McDonald said. "We're just voting a lot in the U.S."
With state, local and national races, as well as mid-term elections, most Americans have a chance to cast a ballot about once every year. Other Western democracies may only have an election every five years, McDonald told LiveScience
That frequency makes voting a hassle, he said.
Other democracies, such as Argentina and Australia, have mandatory voting and small fines for those who skip the polls. Policies like this, that create a social norm for voting, can boost participation, he said.
And most countries with higher voter turnout automatically consider national citizens voters.
"They don't really even have voter registration. Their national registration card serves as their voter registration," he said.

Little impact
But beyond the inconveniences, there's another reason many people in the U.S. may skip the polls: an individual's vote doesn't count for much, because the opposing party can stymie the president's political party, said Lyle Scruggs, a political scientist at the University of Connecticut.
"The chance that your vote determines the outcome one way or another is very, very small," Scruggs told LiveScience.
While that's true in any large democracy, it's even more characteristic of the United States, he said.
Only a fraction of candidates are up for re-election every cycle, and a Democratic president's agenda may be sidelined by a Republican Congress, or vice versa. In a parliamentary system, by contrast, the person who wins the prime minister position is part of the majority party and consequently has more power to enact a political agenda. That means a winning vote has more political impact, he said.
Choosing the president through the Electoral College, rather than via popular vote, may also reduce turnout, he said.
Because only a few states are competitive, most presidential campaigns dump money into 10 swing states and spend almost no time campaigning in the other 40, Scruggs said.
"If we had a popular-vote election of the president, where which state you lived in didn't matter, you would likely see many more national campaigns trying to mobilize a much more national constituency," he said

Boosting turnout
When lines keep voters waiting several hours, it's easy to see why many people skip the whole ordeal.
But states are increasingly adopting more convenient methods for voting, such as mail-in ballots, same-day voter registration and early voting, McDonald said. Most of these efforts improve turnout by a few percentage points, he said.
The best hope for changing turnout long-term is to get young people voting, Scruggs said. If teenagers get used to casting ballots from the get-go, they are likelier to become lifelong voters, he said
"Voting is sort of a habit," he said. "We should be out in the high schools trying to convince people that it's a really great habit to vote."

[pic - click to view]

Why 40% of Americans Won't Vote for President - Yahoo! News

74 comments for "Nov 5 - Why 40% of Americans Won't Vote for President"

5 years ago '08        #2
slimdogg3325 1 heat pts
space
space
$5,872 | Props total: 723 723
Ancient Greeks called ppl who didnt vote idiotes.
 5 years ago '06        #3
eLLz 1 heat pts
space
space
$18,562 | Props total: 1 1
 slimdogg3325 said:
Ancient Greeks called ppl who didnt vote idiotes.
the irony

That no impact sh*t is such bullsh*t though, if everyone thought in that retarded frame of mind there would be ZERO votes at the end of the day.
 5 years ago '10        #4
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
space
$27,749 | Props total: 16554 16554
I live in a state that has never once been red or voted Republican. I still make sure to vote. Just being a black man, in America, I appreciate the privilege.

Also, state-wide referendums are important to me. A lot of people think if they aint directly affecting who goes to the white house then it doesn't matter.

Not true. How can you ignore the things going on right in your own back yard?
 5 years ago '06        #5
eLLz 1 heat pts
space
space
$18,562 | Props total: 1 1
 TheMindOf said:
I live in a state that has never once been red or voted Republican. I still make sure to vote. Just being a black man, in America, I appreciate the privilege.

Also, state-wide referendums are important to me. A lot of people think if they aint directly affecting who goes to the white house then it doesn't matter.

word.

depending on where you're at it's a couple hours max to vote (for me it's less than 45mins) & it's only once every 4 years. youre talking about 0.00000001% of my time during a 4 year period. of course i'm gonna vote despite being in a Liberal a.ss state where I know Obama is gonna come thru regardless. It's one of the greatest privileges that we have.
 5 years ago '08        #6
slimdogg3325 1 heat pts
space
space
 eLLz said:
the irony

That no impact sh*t is such bullsh*t though, if everyone thought in that retarded frame of mind there would be ZERO votes at the end of the day.
would be interesting to see what would happen if nobody voted. would someone pick for us?
 5 years ago '06        #7
nightmare 429 heat pts429 OP
space
space
$13,073 | Props total: 37 37
 slimdogg3325 said:
would be interesting to see what would happen if nobody voted. would someone pick for us?
the electors would vote and u would still get a president
 11-06-2012, 04:17 AM         #8
ManWithoutFear! 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
After a whole year of watching just the weird a.ss retarded sh*t being said & done on the republican side ALONE its a wonder why any respectable "human being" let alone American would even want to vote.
Im still tryna get over the birth certificate thing. Embarrassing. A fun year of L's we had here in the states.
 11-06-2012, 05:46 AM         #9
ROFLSTOMP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"Part of the issue is we have too much democracy," McDonald said. "We're just voting a lot in the U.S."
OR, part of the issue is that there is no real democracy and people have no time for sham elections.

These politicians and think-tanks are always coming up with magical, far-out explanations for why people look at politics in the same way they'd look at sh*t on the bottom of their nikes.
 5 years ago '08        #10
slimdogg3325 1 heat pts
space
space
 ManWithoutFear! said:
After a whole year of watching just the weird a.ss retarded sh*t being said & done on the republican side ALONE its a wonder why any respectable "human being" let alone American would even want to vote.
Im still tryna get over the birth certificate thing. Embarrassing. A fun year of L's we had here in the states.
 5 years ago '08        #11
Chief Dee 6 heat pts
space
space
$10,703 | Props total: 134 134
Voting is a sign of trust, it's 2012 and people still trust the government? I stopped several years ago. Today is a free day. No lines and no voting for meeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!
 5 years ago '10        #12
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
space
 Chief Dee said:
Voting is a sign of trust, it's 2012 and people still trust the government? I stopped several years ago. Today is a free day. No lines and no voting for meeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '09        #13
ill 800 64 heat pts64
space
space
$9,089 | Props total: 269 269
 eLLz said:
the irony

then they would have to rethink the election system...which would be a good thing.

your presidential vote doesnt count for much of sh*t.
 5 years ago '11        #14
GetuOne 73 heat pts73
space
space
$4,475 | Props total: 6 6
 TheMindOf said:

Me too.
 5 years ago '11        #15
Gatorfan2611 8 heat pts
space
space
$4,255 | Props total: 1574 1574
voting is not a privilege. its a right. and i dont get cats who dont vote. its not just the presidents on the ballots.
 5 years ago '04        #16
knowughetto 9 heat pts
space
space
$11,430 | Props total: 11 11
 Chief Dee said:
 5 years ago '08        #17
slimdogg3325 1 heat pts
space
space
 Gatorfan2611 said:
voting is not a privilege. its a right. and i dont get cats who dont vote. its not just the presidents on the ballots.
whats there not to get. some ppl vote some ppl dont. its ALWAYS been that way. ppl who dont vote shouldnt be a concern to you as lomg as you believe in what you're doing...
 5 years ago '07        #18
Ham Rove 3511 heat pts3511
space
space
$55,224 | Props total: 19982 19982
I think more ppl would vote if it was easier, seems like they are trying to make this harder. 5 hr waits? that is absurd.
 5 years ago '10        #19
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
space
 Gatorfan2611 said:
Exactly.

I think its because a lot of n*ggas don't know how voting works. They think you walk in there and they hand you a piece of paper with just the Presidential candidates on it.

Felt good voting in favor of allocating money to fix sidewalks and potholes in my city. Also to build more facilities at the local college. THOSE are the kinds of things people should be worried about.

n*ggas would rather be complaining than doing what they can do to fix the issues...

Sad, really..
 5 years ago '07        #20
Ham Rove 3511 heat pts3511
space
space
$55,224 | Props total: 19982 19982
 J-Schmoove said:
Outside of making my cereal for breakfast voting was probably the easiest thing I have done all day.
me too, but in lots of states there is lines for hours.
Home         

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
142 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
89 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snippets of American Dream-Cole ft. Kendrick
45 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
94 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
77 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
297 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
70 comments
2 days ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy