Nov 3 - Illiterate Ethiopian kids given Motorola Zoom tablet PCs, hacked 5 months later

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
189 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
44 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
49 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside The 10 Worst Jay-Z Songs Of All Time
127 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 11-04-2012, 01:21 AM         #21
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sabotage said:
sure are typing like you grew up there
 5 years ago '12        #22
Boo The Fool 12 heat pts12
space
space
$16,390 | Props total: 5651 5651
 Windy said:
should of air dropped their ashy a.sses some johnson and johnsons
YOOOOOOO
[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

11-04-2012, 01:59 AM         #23
kevante 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This is amazing. I study language development in children, and what they're capable at a very young age is insane. From the time they're born to about age 12, their brain is a supercomputer which absorbs and disects different languages. All you need to do to teach a kid a language is expose them to it and they will figure out the rest. This doesn't surprise me at all. This should be done way more often
 5 years ago '06        #24
davon4204 34 heat pts34
space
space
$16,172 | Props total: 1613 1613
some tablets really? I hope they were conducting a survey. Cause these kids could use alot more then some Motorola tablets.
 5 years ago '06        #25
nightmare 429 heat pts429
space
space
$13,073 | Props total: 37 37
 Nyuzi said:
There are actually native forms of writing throughout Africa but barely anyone takes the time to research them. It's likely that these kids have heard and may know some english or that someone in their village does. Many people in Africa know numerous languages.
 11-04-2012, 07:33 AM         #26
ROFLSTOMP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Amazing that an article highlighting the astounding human capacity for learning could be met with such negativity.

The whole point is that they gave these tablets to people way out where, as untouched by the modern corporate world as is possible. If they dropped them off in fu*king Lagos where people are literate and living a 'modern' life it would tell us nothing, because people in Lagos are familiar with the technology.

How you can even get from this article that they're trying to make Africans look helpless is beyond me. It seems that while out-of-the-way villagers in Ethiopia can hack a Motorola Zoom in 5 months, Americans on the other hand are unable to accumulate knowledge of the outside world, despite many decades of opportunity.
 5 years ago '07        #27
Jae_Mike 25 heat pts25
space
space
$4,382 | Props total: 1054 1054
 5 years ago '08        #28
el bundy 27 heat pts27
space
space
$6,518 | Props total: 104 104
 ROFLSTOMP said:
Amazing that an article highlighting the astounding human capacity for learning could be met with such negativity.

The whole point is that they gave these tablets to people way out where, as untouched by the modern corporate world as is possible. If they dropped them off in fu*king Lagos where people are literate and living a 'modern' life it would tell us nothing, because people in Lagos are familiar with the technology.

How you can even get from this article that they're trying to make Africans look helpless is beyond me. It seems that while out-of-the-way villagers in Ethiopia can hack a Motorola Zoom in 5 months, Americans on the other hand are unable to accumulate knowledge of the outside world, despite many decades of opportunity.
exactly. people just like to bi*ch for the sake of it, but this is incredible.
 5 years ago '09        #29
Toss 
space
space
space
$7,110 | Props total: 1651 1651
seriously this was one of the best article i read on boxen and I'am amazed to still se ignorant comments
 11-04-2012, 11:21 AM         #30
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ROFLSTOMP said:

How you can even get from this article that they're trying to make Africans look helpless is ldrbeyond me. It seems that while out-of-the-way villagers in Ethiopia can hack a Motorola Zoom in 5 months, Americans on the other hand are unable to accumulate knowledge of the outside world, despite many decades of opportunity.
Props to the children.....but it does sound like lab rat,trading places type bullsh*t.........and while good came from it...the whole operation of how they provided the tablets was condescending and arrogant....Just because the children did not pass the western societies idea of litteracy......does not mean they were dumb.....the proper observation would have been to simply test the children's compentcy skills.......in a manor that was not derrived from as*hole logic
 11-04-2012, 11:37 AM         #31
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Lan Imbu said:
They got free fu*kin androids b
Just giving my opinion b.......
 11-04-2012, 12:39 PM         #32
ROFLSTOMP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dos-effect said:
Props to the children.....but it does sound like lab rat,trading places type bullsh*t.........and while good came from it...the whole operation of how they provided the tablets was condescending and arrogant....Just because the children did not pass the western societies idea of litteracy......does not mean they were dumb.....the proper observation would have been to simply test the children's compentcy skills.......in a manor that was not derrived from as*hole logic
For sure you can argue whether it's ethical to use unsuspecting people as lab rats for a social experiment, I can see that - whether you should be interfering with practically isolated peoples is a hot topic - but I don't think it's any part(in this case) of some larger effort to misrepresent the African continent, as some others have suggested. It's not as if this is something that doesn't happen in Western countries, not the same experiment, but similar. The line between what's morally acceptable and what isn't is pretty vague. Giving tablets out in an Ethiopian village isn't acceptable, but some similar learning experiment involving kids in Norway isn't objected to. It seems a couple of responses(not yours) in my opinion is a case of the boy who cried wolf, sometimes a spade is just a spade and there's no ulterior agenda.

The media do tend to focus on the 'worst' of Africa. Even with good intentions, people paint Africans as helpless imbeciles who need western intervention to save them, but this story/experiment I don't think is a case of that. If anything the narrative of this study is look, humans are innovative knowledge-seeking heavyweights, with or without formal education, western or otherwise - We have the capacity to achieve great things and learn without help and we can do it at a remarkable rate.

It could be I'm just positively biased. I've learnt so much myself with the internet and really believe in organisations like One Laptop Per Child, and the power of computing, so I find it hard to look at harmless experiments like this with pessimism. The sooner every poor child on this earth has the #1 learning tool on planet earth, the internet, the better, imo. Computers will go down in history as the greatest contributor to upwards mobility and education that there has ever been, I believe.
 5 years ago '06        #33
BCB 15 heat pts15
space
space
$2,548 | Props total: 113 113
"Miles from the nearest school, a young Ethiopian girl named Rahel turns on her new tablet computer. The solar powered machine speaks to her: "Hello! Would you like to hear a story?"
She nods and listens to a story about a princess.
"
How you nod to respond to a tablet? Camera feature? or the app just waits a few seconds to make the kids think they are interacting with the tablet? lol
 5 years ago '10        #34
Staszy 11 heat pts11
space
space
space
$2,425 | Props total: 3 3
 hurricanegamePZ said:
aAFRICA iS WaY BEtTER THAn THeY SHOw oN TVVv I USED TO LIVE THERE AFRICA IS THE BEST OUT OF ALL THE UNITED NATIONS
And you are telling me kids like this were able to hack a tablet? FOH
 11-04-2012, 01:21 PM         #35
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Staszy said:
And you are telling me kids like this were able to hack a tablet? FOH
So how is that reading thing working out for you?
 11-04-2012, 01:30 PM         #36
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ROFLSTOMP said:
For sure you can argue whether it's ethical to use unsuspecting people as lab rats for a social experiment, I can see that - whether you should be interfering with practically isolated peoples is a hot topic - but I don't think it's any part(in this case) of some larger effort to misrepresent the African continent, as some others have suggested. It's not as if this is something that doesn't happen in Western countries, not the same experiment, but similar. The line between what's morally acceptable and what isn't is pretty vague. Giving tablets out in an Ethiopian village isn't acceptable, but some similar learning experiment involving kids in Norway isn't objected to. It seems a couple of responses(not yours) in my opinion is a case of the boy who cried wolf, sometimes a spade is just a spade and there's no ulterior agenda.

The media do tend to focus on the 'worst' of Africa. Even with good intentions, people paint Africans as helpless imbeciles who need western intervention to save them, but this story/experiment I don't think is a case of that. If anything the narrative of this study is look, humans are innovative knowledge-seeking heavyweights, with or without formal education, western or otherwise - We have the capacity to achieve great things and learn without help and we can do it at a remarkable rate.

It could be I'm just positively biased. I've learnt so much myself with the internet and really believe in organisations like One Laptop Per Child, and the power of computing, so I find it hard to look at harmless experiments like this with pessimism. The sooner every poor child on this earth has the #1 learning tool on planet earth, the internet, the better, imo. Computers will go down in history as the greatest contributor to upwards mobility and education that there has ever been, I believe.
I agree with you......to an extent...but the only language being English.....and no instructions......just seems kinda a.ssholish....and you know the tablets are secretely monitored......watching the children's every step.......sh*t is kinda creepy if you ask me.......there are better ways to go about it.....
 5 years ago '07        #37
wtr1906 45 heat pts45
space
space
$17,724 | Props total: 4479 4479
WOW, if its true this is pretty amazing.....
 11-04-2012, 02:26 PM         #38
ROFLSTOMP 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dos-effect said:
I agree with you......to an extent...but the only language being English.....and no instructions......just seems kinda a.ssholish....and you know the tablets are secretely monitored......watching the children's every step.......sh*t is kinda creepy if you ask me.......there are better ways to go about it.....
I'm surprised they used English, not because it's a.ssholish(don't get me wrong, i'm not saying it's not lol), but because if I wanted to be extra certain that the technology and language was foreign to the community, I'd give them a Motorola in Indonesian or something

You're right though morally it is a grey area. The circumstances of how the tablets were dropped off is what makes that contentious, for me. If they spoke to an elder with a translator, outlined what they were doing and why, had permission and had the community agree to try it, then I can say I'd have zero qualms with it.

If they sort of dropped a box off without informing as the article reports then I don't know about that. The language bit I don't mind because the non familiarity with the language is important, if they could read everything on the tablet it wouldn't be that impressive where i'm sat
 11-04-2012, 04:12 PM         #39
THNKS 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
we have known this forever! you give african children anything; they will figure it out! if you come from nothing you only have something to work towards...

but on a serious note...do you all not see what they are doing here???

this is just another conversion/brainwashing technique that these elites are using to colonize to their liking!!
you may say otherwise...but at the foundation of this bullsh*t, theres a "white savior" concept being programmed in them for the future! hope they stick to their roots/culture man!!!
 5 years ago '04        #40
Zirov 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,457 | Props total: 420 420
 Toss said:
seriously this was one of the best article i read on boxen and I'am amazed to still se ignorant comments
same here bra, i just posted it on facebook, first time ive shared some boxden "news" with my regular fam and friends, people on there love this article ;) Everyone here is finding things to nit-pick and bi*ch about, stop the hate god damn...
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
13 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
53 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
13 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Rick Rossí Longtime Manager Black Bo Has Died
47 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
33 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
63 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
78 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy