Why do sample-based producers get more credit?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
38 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
15 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NFL RIGGED & SCRIPTED SPORTS | Ryan Shazier injury, Pittsburgh Steelers & Supe..
33 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
36 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #1
8148 pageviews
112 comments

Martel 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,818 | Props total: 2623 2623
Why do sample-based producers get more credit?

Than people who compose their own music? I understand that sampling is more "hip-hop" but it is also usually more easier and takes less talent. I was looking at the 5 producers who made a difference thread and it's crazy how sampled based producers were supposedly more worthy of being called good over cats like Mike Will, Sonny Digital, etc. Don't get me wrong there are great samplers but nobody I know is really chopping anymore except for Exile. I know Freddie Gibbs "The Hard" was chopped up crazily but most of these beats out nowadays is just loops.

I'm not trying to knock sampling but it's funny how people can say folks like Mike Will aren't more diverse than call someone who ONLY samples more diverse as if Mike Will never sampled. The only reason for that diversity is because you're stealing other people's music. Sampling started in hip hop because of the lack of instruments. You can now have a computer generated band on a PC for only 300 dollars. Ain't it time to stop this sampling bullsh-t or at least stop praising it so much?

112 comments for "Why do sample-based producers get more credit?"

5 years ago '05        #2
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,237 | Props total: 9640 9640
so who is your example of someone who composes their own music from scratch with no samples AND is dope
 5 years ago '07        #3
Playa 70 heat pts70
space
space
$22,834 | Props total: 194 194
Double standards
Thats why mannie is the goat
But even most drum patterns r samples
 5 years ago '04        #4
bony 37 heat pts37
space
space
$2,363 | Props total: 319 319
every hip hop producer samples.. swizz, timbo, dre... get over it.. sampling IS hip hop... go listen to some country music if you dont like it.... or become a producer and change it all
 5 years ago '05        #5
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
 bony said:
every hip hop producer samples.. swizz, timbo, dre... get over it.. sampling IS hip hop... go listen to some country music if you dont like it.... or become a producer and change it all
pretty much. you can be the greatest non-sampling producer of all time, but do you make beats better than the sampled ones? if you are, then where are you?
 5 years ago '05        #6
Martel 18 heat pts18 OP
space
space
Sampling once in a while is cool and I have no problem with people sampling all the time. I just think it's ridiculous to act like it takes more skill. I don't know about GOAT but Mannie Fresh definitely deserves to be top 10, maybe even top 5. Harry Fraud is dope when sampling but his all original beats are fu*kin terrible. He doesn't have any more talent than Lex Luger, Mike Will, Sonny Digital.

@WCIB I personally like the Neptunes. of course Mannie. Danja/Timbaland. N.O. Joe/Mike Dean. Organized Noize. People who can sample but they don't rely on it.
 5 years ago '05        #7
Martel 18 heat pts18 OP
space
space
Madlib's dope you can tell he samples for the love of hip hop rather than because he needs to. His jazz stuff is good.
 5 years ago '12        #8
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
$12,460 | Props total: 12977 12977
I get what the OP is saying. The reason Artists who sample get more credit is because the vibe and sound of the track. Just think about it. To many people, alo tof the best an most creative music came out in the 70s,80s. As far as producers who sample, take justice league for example:

You think people would rather listen to:

"no lie"
"back 2 the basics"

or

"Done it all"
"maybach music 3"

Alot of people rather listen to the sampled smooth/mellow/feel-good type sh*t over the heavy bass music . Look at Jayz. His biggest hits have all been sampled. YES, the ones who dont sample are more creative and original but people get a better vibe off the vintage stuff. In my opinion, I think Artists like Mike will, young chop, etc should get more credit but in reality, most are conditioned to believe other wise. As a matter of fact, artists would dont sample should have the most expensive beats cause they came from scratch but I dont think thats how it goes today.

But honestly, I'd rather listen to sampled music. Just sounds better to my ears.

Last edited by daman729; 11-01-2012 at 10:56 AM..
 5 years ago '05        #9
THEINFAMOUS 19 heat pts19
space
space
$47,180 | Props total: 11743 11743
 Vin Steezel said:
has Martel heard ANY of the rap in the past 3 or 4 years?

ANYWAY, MADLIB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Any living producer
RZA died?
 5 years ago '04        #10
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,387 | Props total: 6420 6420
they both can be equally hard

flipping a sample thats been run down to death a new way that people haven't heard of is difficult.

making something from scratch is difficult also but if you already have the beat in your head it makes it a little bit easier
 5 years ago '05        #11
RNOTY 53 heat pts53
space
space
$21,432 | Props total: 9 9
(in defense of sampling)

To be technically (and an as*hole) is not Lex Luger, Shorty Red, 808 Mafia, and all them other trap beat producers not "sample-based producers". let's define a sample first...

websters said:
3: an excerpt from a musical recording that is used in another artist's recording
Now how many times has Lex actually played a bass-guitar, piano or other ACTUAL bass equipment?
Now how many times has Shorty Red ACTUALLY play a drum snare, or a bass drum?
Now how many times has 808 mafia ACTUALLY played a REAL piano?

Basically ALL of them producers are sample producers, the difference between let's say "Young Chop" and "9th Wonder" is their direction, vibe and feel.

EVERYTHING (Mostly in rap) is sample based, a keyboard you purchase from Guitar Center is filled with Samples of real instrumentation.

A MPC, Maschine, E-mu is a sampled based music production system, the only time you aren't "sampling" is when you play live instruments, and to be honest.... even those are (in essence) sampled based instruments because when you get down to the raw data, all instruments create sound by the vibration of air molecules, they are not creating air molecules, they in essence sampling the surround air molecules and speeding them up or slowing them down to make sound.
 5 years ago '04        #12
pocketchange 149 heat pts149
space
space
space
$12,396 | Props total: 11887 11887
Hip-hop is based on sampling. There aren't too many people actually going to the studio and record each sound individually.

That's what's wrong with these new n*ggas. They think that just because they press a button and it make a sound they are original.

Last edited by pocketchange; 11-01-2012 at 10:51 AM..
 5 years ago '05        #13
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
 ronin said:
(in defense of sampling)

To be technically (and an as*hole) is not Lex Luger, Shorty Red, 808 Mafia, and all them other trap beat producers not "sample-based producers". let's define a sample first...

Now how many times has Lex actually played a bass-guitar, piano or other ACTUAL bass equipment?

Basically ALL of them producers are sample producers, the difference between let's say "Young Chop" and "9th Wonder" is their direction, vibe and feel.

EVERYTHING (Mostly in rap) is sample based, a keyboard you purchase from Guitar Center is filled with Samples of real instrumentation.

A MPC, Maschine, E-mu is a sampled based music production system, the only time you aren't "sampling" is when you play live instruments, and to be honest.... even those are (in essence) sampled based instruments because when you get down to the raw data, all instruments create sound by the vibration of air molecules, they are not creating air molecules, they in essence sampling the surround air molecules and speeding them up or slowing them down to make sound.
while you're 100% right, on EVERYTHING YOU SAID, he means sampling like how the producer of 'Can't Touch This' or how Just Blaze sampled Rick James' 'Super Freak.'

I personally think Just Blaze puts more time and artistry into his beats, which use a LOT of samples for the most part, than any of these same sounding trap beats that claim to be original beats...
 5 years ago '04        #14
space
space
space
 ronin said:
(in defense of sampling)

it's getting ridiculous and they are trapped in a matrix because the people are now sampling the samplers. And the samplers are getting offended because someone sampled their song which is sampled.
 5 years ago '05        #15
RNOTY 53 heat pts53
space
space
 WCIB said:
while you're 100% right, on EVERYTHING YOU SAID, he means sampling like how the producer of 'Can't Touch This' or how Just Blaze sampled Rick James' 'Super Freak.'

I personally think Just Blaze puts more time and artistry into his beats, which use a LOT of samples for the most part, than any of these same sounding trap beats that claim to be original beats...
naw I dig that, and know what the OP meant but my views on sampling is just that. it's hard to say 1 producer isn't a sampler and the next 1 is when NONE of these producers are actually playing ANY of the instrumentation represented on their beats. now to be honest, some do, but it's very few and I've only seen it on a few youtube videos of producers who sample but they also play some live instrumentation on their cuts.

pocketchange said:
it's getting ridiculous and they are trapped in a matrix because the people are now sampling the samplers. And the samplers are getting offended because someone sampled their song which is sampled.
I def understand that.
 5 years ago '07        #16
Damagegadget 492 heat pts492
space
space
$35,385 | Props total: 16063 16063
 bony said:
this... its called versatility.. Ive met these cats who try to act like they are playing 5th symphony's and isht but can't flip a sample if they life depended on it..

mind you all the sounds in audio hardware or software programs .are samples so GTFO
 5 years ago '07        #17
Damagegadget 492 heat pts492
space
space
$35,385 | Props total: 16063 16063
 pocketchange said:
thats pete rock B only dude I heard say somethin..and he is notoriously a batch... dude tried to hate on mad villain cause they was callin madlib a better producer than he was
 11-01-2012, 11:09 AM         #18
the synthesis 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the greatest rap albums have samples

composed beats are cool, but they sound lifeless synty
 5 years ago '04        #19
space
space
space
Sampling music is just like writing a research paper. People like Lex and those trap rappers are creating a synthesis of sampled sounds. While people like Just Blaze usually sample the original source. And then those original songs were influenced by the songs at the time.

But now you have some of these sampled records that are getting old and you have people sampling records that were originally sampled themselves. But I get what the threadstarter is getting at.

Until a producer actually get in the studio and play their own sounds you can't really argue because technically they are both sampling, no one is playing their own sounds.

And playing your own sounds is only ONE thing, now you have to play something ORIGINAL.

Last edited by pocketchange; 11-01-2012 at 11:12 AM..
 5 years ago '05        #20
RNOTY 53 heat pts53
space
space
 Damagegadget said:
thats pete rock B only dude I heard say somethin..and he is notoriously a batch... dude tried to hate on mad villain cause they was callin madlib a better producer than he was
naw it's not only Pete Rock getting mad, he's just more recent and did it to Lupe which no one understood because it's fu*king Lupe, n*ggas usually be happy Lupe took a beat, but any-hoo

the anonymity of sampling isn't like it was back in the 90's, example, the n*gga ?uestlove said he put together an entire team of individuals to search and dig records all day just to find out which samples J-Dilla used, not so he could tell the world but just for his own piece of mind and knowledge.

J-Dilla was a sampling kat, HEAVY, but how and what he sampled was done in a way that you either had to be there or know the cut's he was sampling to ID em, now n*gga's got an entire site to exposing the sample you used. is it good or bad??? it's both, but DJ Premo touched on it on "The Owners" lp where he talks about n*ggas snitching and revealing what he was sampling.

it's all pre-madonna sh*t really.
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
226 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
46 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish