R.i.p. Emanuel Steward

most viewed right now
Video inside Migos run up on Joe Budden and Akademiks
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
77 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rap in the 90's vs rap today
55 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL RIGGED & SCRIPTED SPORTS | Ryan Shazier injury, Pittsburgh Steelers & Supe..
82 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #1
9153 pageviews
109 comments

CentsCuZ 19 heat pts19
space
space
$11,002 | Props total: 771 771
R.i.p. Emanuel Steward

EMANUEL STEWARD PASSES AWAY

Sadly, f!ghtHype.com has been informed that famed Hall of Fame trainer and HBO analyst Emanuel Steward has passed away. The 68-year-old had been dealing with health problems for the past couple of months. He was in the hospital reportedly recovering after surgery to treat diverticulitis. Jonathan Banks, who has worked with Steward and was tabbed to replace him during his absense from the corner of Wladimir Klitschko, confirmed the news via Twitter when he wrote, "He's gone but NEVER!! will be forgotten. You fought a good f!ght you finished your course. With tears i'm saying.. R.I.P. Emanuel steward."

The Kronk Gym founder is best known for guiding Detroit boxers Thomas Hearns and Hilmer Kenty to world titles, as well as his work with heavyweight champions Lennox Lewis and Wladimir Klitschko. He has also trained a number of current and former world champions, including Wladimir Klitschko, Miguel Cotto, Cornelius Bundrage, and Oscar De La Hoya, Evander Holyfield, Wilfred Benitez, Prince Naseem Hamed, and John David Jackson to name a few. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

[pic - click to view]

EMANUEL STEWARD PASSES AWAY || f!ghtHYPE

109 comments for "R.i.p. Emanuel Steward"

5 years ago '04        #2
wheezyfbaby 9 heat pts
space
space
$4,410 | Props total: 29 29
R.i.p
 5 years ago '12        #3
Fearless Genius 72 heat pts72
space
space
$4,255 | Props total: 740 740
sad news. r.i.p.

147 - 42 STRK: 5 w in a row WIN PCT: 77% 19 (0) 
  Career: | Aug 17: 97-57, Rank #29 | Aug 16: 2-0, Rank #224 | Aug 14: 11-8, Rank #285 | Aug 13: 1-0, Rank #480 *
 5 years ago '04        #4
killadre 229 heat pts229
space
space
$20,470 | Props total: 16285 16285
Wow. I was hoping he was pulling through ok after not hearing any updates. Terrible lost to his family and ppl of the boxing world.

RIP
 5 years ago '05        #5
ChickzNKickz 100 heat pts100
space
space
$10,984 | Props total: 10681 10681
mid rumors circulating among the boxing fraternity that legendary Kronk Gym trainer and manager and boxing Hall of Famer Emanuel Steward had died or was on life support today, his sister Diane Steward-Jones refuted the fact.

"Emanuel is still with us," Steward-Jones told the Detroit Free Press this afternoon. "He hasn't left his room. There is no shade over his head."

Steward, 68, who guided such Detroit boxers as Thomas Hearns and Hilmer Kenty to world titles, has been in poor health for several months. He is believed to be in a Chicago-area hospital, although his family will not disclose details.

Steward-Jones said her brother, in fact, had had a Reiki -- a palm healing or hands-on-healing alternative-medicine procedure -- treatment today "to give him more energy."

Added Steward-Jones, who is with the f!ght icon at his hospital: "He's certainly had better days, but he is still here on planet Earth."

Steward-Jones said her brother believed in using alternative medicine in conjunction with traditional medicine.

Some reports printed in the past couple of months have suggested that Steward is suffering from colon cancer, although his sister maintains he was operated on recently for diverticulosis, a serious stomach ailment.

Close friend Jackie Kallen, who worked with Hearns at the Kronk on McGraw Street in Detroit and later managed world champion James Toney, said, "I pray to God it's a false rumor. I just hope reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated."

Anita Ruiz, executive director of the Kronk Gym Foundation and a close companion of Steward, was shocked at hearing the rumors.

"Oh, my God, I don't know anything," she told the Free Press. "I can't comment further."

10-25-2012, 08:31 AM         #6
Vincent Vega 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
R.I.P. To a legend in the sweet science
 5 years ago '05        #7
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,879 | Props total: 8396 8396
so its not true? i dont want it to be
 5 years ago '10        #8
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
$21,493 | Props total: 9785 9785
Say it ain't so
 5 years ago '07        #9
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,835 | Props total: 4814 4814
i dont think this is true either.not on any major news site or sports site
 5 years ago '07        #10
Pistol Peter 33 heat pts33
space
space
$26,679 | Props total: 15 15
false until tmz confirms it
 5 years ago '04        #11
wheezyfbaby 9 heat pts
space
space
$4,410 | Props total: 29 29
Wait, it's not true?
 5 years ago '06        #12
Maddog345 3 heat pts
space
space
$7,867 | Props total: 261 261
I haven't seen it on any of the major sport sites. I won't believe it until someone official reports it.
 5 years ago '04        #13
killadre 229 heat pts229
space
space
$20,470 | Props total: 16285 16285
It's confirmed unfortunately
 5 years ago '04        #14
DPGUNIT 1 heat pts
space
space
$10,247 | Props total: 4 4
Damn man rip.
 5 years ago '04        #15
Outlawfromabove 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,557 | Props total: 753 753
hes alive its bs
 5 years ago '05        #16
MidNiteBlues 32 heat pts32
space
space
$7,644 | Props total: 3575 3575

Thread got me confused as fu*k...is my man dead or alive?!
 5 years ago '12        #17
MischiefTooReal 139 heat pts139
space
space
$11,577 | Props total: 5034 5034
Haven't seen it on ESPN. sh*t would have been breaking news.
 5 years ago '06        #18
KingK 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$15,250 | Props total: 747 747
Wait wtf is he alive or what?
 10-25-2012, 03:38 PM         #19
s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  

[pic - click to view]

By Mike Brudenell
Detroit Free Press Sports Writer

Kronk Gym boxing icon Emanuel Steward died today, his sister, Diane Steward-Jones, told the Free Press.

Steward, who had been in a Chicago-area hospital for several weeks after undergoing surgery for what was termed diverticulitis, died at 2:46 p.m. Detroit time, Steward-Jones said. He was 68.

Steward-Jones, who handled business and public relations for Steward, said she and several family members were by his side.

“He has passed – he’s gone home,” Steward-Jones said by phone. “He was in no pain, and we sang to him, as well as did the doctors present. He had loved ones around him.”

Steward-Jones said even toward the end her brother tried to recruit male nurses and other medical staff to box for him.

“They loved him,” Steward-Jones said. “He’d tell them to lose some weight and f!ght for him.”

Steward-Jones said she was trying to stay busy by tidying up Steward’s hospital room.

“He gave it his all,” she said. “But he’s been called away now.”

Steward nurtured and guided the likes of Thomas Hearns, Hilmer Kenty and Milton McCrory to world titles in the 1980s at the Kronk Gym on McGraw in Detroit.

Born in Bottom Creek, W.Va., Steward at age 12 moved with his mother to Detroit, where he became a street-smart kid with a short fuse and quick fists.

In a life-changing move away from the gangs in the hood, Steward joined the Brewster Recreation Center and began an amateur boxing career, winning the 1963 Golden Gloves tournament in the bantamweight division.

With his family needing his financial support, Steward became a lineman with the city before he and his half brother James began coaching at the Kronk, a hotbed for young amateur f!ghters.

Steward took the Kronk and its f!ghters to dizzying heights, transforming a skinny Hearns into one of the most devastating punchers in the history of the ring and mentoring a gallery of supporting champs over the years, including Jimmy Paul, Duane Thomas, Dennis Andries, Steve McCrory, Michael Moorer, Lennox Lewis and present-day heavyweight king Wladimir Klitschko.

Although the original Kronk Gym, which was housed in the basement of the Kronk Recreation Center, was closed in 2006 by the City of Detroit because of financial hardship, Steward was able to relocate the heart and soul of Kronk to a small building on East Warren, a few blocks west of Southfield Road, where champions and street kids still train shoulder-to-shoulder.

Steward, who worked for years as an HBO color boxing commentator, was relentless in his charity work around Detroit, establishing the Kronk Gym Foundation to help endangered young boys and girls get an education and shot at a normal life.

He never turned a boxer or someone in need of a meal or a chat away from his home in Rosedale Park or from his Kronk Gym.

Earlier in the day, Frank Garza, a leading Michigan f!ght referee and close friend of Steward’s, said: “Emanuel was Mr. Boxing in Detroit. He was like Gordie Howe is to Detroit hockey and Al Kaline to Detroit baseball.

“He loved to live and he loved to give. He was a down-to-earth guy when you were with him. As a trainer, he was a brilliant strategist. If you ever wanted to win a f!ght, you just listened to his advice.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He was such a great teacher for Detroit boxers and boxers as a whole.RIP
 5 years ago '05        #20
FlamboyantOne 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,582 | Props total: 9 9
RIP Manny......yeah, he passed on
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
36 comments
2 days ago