Apple screws you over again: Can't upgrade RAM in new 21. 5 inch iMacs

most viewed right now
Well Damn NEW VIDEO: (Preview/Snippet) Migos “Ice Tray” (Everyday Struggle)
92 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA The Original Charlotte Hornets Logo
35 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
101 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
110 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #1
7238 pageviews
90 comments

UrbanGAAWD 209 heat pts209
space
space
$7,295 | Props total: 1071 1071
Apple screws you over again: Can't upgrade RAM in new 21. 5 inch iMacs

[pic - click to view]

*Looks good but can't upgrade RAM is a major point against it, they are trying to figure out if the same thing is for the hard drive

The iPad mini might have stolen the show at Apple’s (AAPL) Tuesday event, but the new redesigned iMac easily comes in second. With 5-millimeter thick edges and a 60% boost in graphics performance, the new iMacs make desktops computers look very attractive again. There’s just one thorn in the 21.5-inch iMac’s side: upgrades.

To get the iMac to such a thin profile, Softpedia notes that Apple chose to remove the optical drive and laminate the glass face to the LCD panel. That’s great and all, but the ability to pop off a few screws and add more RAM to the 21.5-inch model is now gone. Sure, 8GB of RAM is more than sufficient for many users, but if you want to add more RAM down the road, it’s impossible to do so.

The only options are to either buy a 21.5-inch with 16GB of RAM and future-proof your iMac at checkout or buy the more expensive 27-inch iMac that does have user-serviceable RAM modules.

The 21.5-inch iMac now joins the MacBook Air and 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display as computers with soldered RAM. Having soldered RAM in a notebook was already pushing it, but Apple’s decision to do the same on the desktop is a little bit unsettling, especially since desktops are replaced less frequently.

The iPad mini might have stolen the show at Apple’s (AAPL) Tuesday event, but the new redesigned iMac easily comes in second. With 5-millimeter thick edges and a 60% boost in graphics performance, the new iMacs make desktops computers look very attractive again. There’s just one thorn in the 21.5-inch iMac’s side: upgrades.

To get the iMac to such a thin profile, Softpedia notes that Apple chose to remove the optical drive and laminate the glass face to the LCD panel. That’s great and all, but the ability to pop off a few screws and add more RAM to the 21.5-inch model is now gone. Sure, 8GB of RAM is more than sufficient for many users, but if you want to add more RAM down the road, it’s impossible to do so.

The only options are to either buy a 21.5-inch with 16GB of RAM and future-proof your iMac at checkout or buy the more expensive 27-inch iMac that does have user-serviceable RAM modules.

The 21.5-inch iMac now joins the MacBook Air and 13 and 15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display as computers with soldered RAM. Having soldered RAM in a notebook was already pushing it, but Apple’s decision to do the same on the desktop is a little bit unsettling, especially since desktops are replaced less frequently.

[pic - click to view]

Apple iMac non-upgradable RAM: 21.5″ model sealed, 27″ upgradable | BGR

90 comments for "Apple screws you over again: Can't upgrade RAM in new 21. 5 inch iMacs"

5 years ago '05        #2
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,081 | Props total: 10757 10757
pop off a few screws to upgrade the RAM ? Gross fu*king understatement. sh*t's a mission to get these iMac's open
 5 years ago '04        #3
quintosis03 4 heat pts
space
space
$4,181 | Props total: 975 975
 P-Hill said:
pop off a few screws to upgrade the RAM ? Gross fu*king understatement. sh*t's a mission to get these iMac's open
those things are a pain to get open. tried to get one of those things open took me a long fu*king time.
 5 years ago '06        #4
bobdigi 
space
space
space
$849 | Props total: 14 14
Get one with 8-16gb of ram and not worry about such things.
 5 years ago '05        #5
Daddy Black 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,728 | Props total: 2215 2215
And apple stans will still support they a.sses. This is a major fu*k you to anyone who is a mac person. the fu*k is the point of soldered ram anyways?? someone explain.
 5 years ago '07        #6
mrfreak76 700 heat pts700
space
space
$7,145 | Props total: 1362 1362
That's why you can order it with 32GB of RAM preinstalled.
 5 years ago '06        #7
realgunta 703 heat pts703
space
space
$20,491 | Props total: 16255 16255
8 gb of ram is MORE than enough for MOST ppl

if not then just get the 16 gb version

(only few will need more than 16, and dont give me no bullsh*t excuse, bc unless you doing some high level pro sh*t, u WONT need more than 16)

then there is always the 32 gb version

so yeah just choose wisely
 5 years ago '11        #8
UrbanGAAWD 209 heat pts209 OP
space
space
$7,295 | Props total: 1071 1071
 realgunta said:
8 gb of ram is MORE than enough for MOST ppl

if not then just get the 16 gb version

(only few will need more than 16, and dont give me no bullsh*t excuse, bc unless you doing some high level pro sh*t, u WONT need more than 16)

then there is always the 32 gb version

so yeah just choose wisely
You fail to get it...it's a matter of principle and what if I was to change out the ram or hard drive....and the 32 gb one is extremely overpriced as fu*k
 5 years ago '10        #9
FrankAndBeans 27 heat pts27
space
space
$3,990 | Props total: 5678 5678
 Daddy Black said:
This is a major fu*k you to anyone who is a mac person.
No it ain't. How many people you think upgrade they sh*t beyond 8gbs of ram? Apple builds for the masses, not the niche. And most people prefer a beautifully designed computer over a spec-friendly one.

Daddy Black said:
the fu*k is the point of soldered ram anyways?? someone explain.
It's in the article dude...

To get the iMac to such a thin profile, Softpedia notes that Apple chose to remove the optical drive and laminate the glass face to the LCD panel. That’s great and all, but the ability to pop off a few screws and add more RAM to the 21.5-inch model is now gone.
I fu*ks with iPhones and iPads, but I hate Macs. Windows > ....but I recognize Apple's smart business plan. I just expect more from my cpu than Apple offers.
 5 years ago '05        #10
Daddy Black 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,728 | Props total: 2215 2215
 FrankAndBeans said:
No it ain't. How many people you think upgrade they sh*t beyond 8gbs of ram? Apple builds for the masses, not the niche. And most people prefer a beautifully designed computer over a spec-friendly one.

It's in the article dude...

I fu*ks with iPhones and iPads, but I hate Macs. Windows > ....but I recognize Apple's smart business plan. I just expect more from my cpu than Apple offers.
I get it, spend more for what you want now. I guess im one who dont care for design over spec and upgradability when it comes to my computer. My thing is leave that sh*t for the tablets and phones, why make the computers like that too, aint got to sacrifice everything damn.
 5 years ago '07        #11
sittinpretti 79 heat pts79
space
space
$3,206 | Props total: 2684 2684
 P-Hill said:
On the older 21 inch its not hard to upgrade the ram it's 2 screws on the bottom by the speakers
 5 years ago '04        #12
PushaT5050 
space
space
$1,696 | Props total: 25 25
Whats the point of getting the 21.5" anyway?
 5 years ago '10        #13
FrankAndBeans 27 heat pts27
space
space
$3,990 | Props total: 5678 5678
 Daddy Black said:
My thing is leave that sh*t for the tablets and phones, why make the computers like that too, aint got to sacrifice everything damn.
Because that's Apple's niche. That's what separates them from a PC. They got over a 100 Billion cash in the bank so hey, it's workin
 5 years ago '04        #14
mr_underground|m 1965 heat pts1965
space
space
$22,746 | Props total: 28401 28401
 mrfreak76 said:
That's why you can order it with 32GB of RAM preinstalled.
At a super expensive price...you know what premuim RAM cost to upgrade:

5 years ago '05        #15
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,081 | Props total: 10757 10757
 sittinpretti said:
On the older 21 inch its not hard to upgrade the ram it's 2 screws on the bottom by the speakers
the newer ones are a pain... gotta fu*king get suction cups to pop the screen off... then unscrew, then pray to Steve Jobs, then aircan the screen, etc

When I upgraded my baby moms' pops' iMac's harddrive, I was in pure anger
 5 years ago '04        #16
Venom 29 heat pts29
space
space
$14,130 | Props total: 784 784
n*ggas really justifying this sh*t
 5 years ago '06        #17
Special Edd 167 heat pts167
space
space
$26,608 | Props total: 8879 8879
i dont own anything apple but 8gbs is more then enough for the standard facebook/oovoo/schoool work

it looks better to have at work stations instead of big towers i can see where it would be neat in a job setting. thats just me

price is alot no point to complain apple always and for ever will be expensive they can price it at 3k and will still make a k!lling off of it.

some loyal fans some new some bandwagon ppl wanna cop let them cop. back to my goat android threads tho :)
 5 years ago '08        #18
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,105 | Props total: 23320 23320
but if you could upgrade it how would apple r*pe you?
 5 years ago '11        #19
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,374 | Props total: 4270 4270
 Venom said:
n*ggas really justifying this sh*t
It doesn't need to be justified at all. If you want an iMac, you will not be able to upgrade your RAM it's that simple. If you want to upgrade your RAM either buy a Mac Pro or a Dell and keep it pushing. n*ggaz in here whining and bi*ching like they was going to buy an iMac until they heard that the RAM couldn't be replaced.
 10-24-2012, 09:42 PM         #20
Lannister 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
then don't buy it lmaoo
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
62 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
24 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
284 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
121 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rap in the 90's vs rap today
78 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
52 comments
23 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
88 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside 10 Songs That Biggie Recorded But No One Has Found
63 comments
19 hours ago