1LynguisticMind's Review Of Kendrick Lamar's "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" (4.2/5)

most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
113 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
47 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
101 comments
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
52 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '07        #1
5566 pageviews
50 comments

1LynguisticMind 177 heat pts177
space
space
$24,901 | Props total: 1146 1146
1LynguisticMind's Review Of Kendrick Lamar's "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" (4.2/5)

Many have called it the most anticipated album of the year. For 3 years now Kendrick Lamar has slowly been building a solid base of fans who along with some critics, swear he is the future of rap. Unique, talented and young K Dot brings a welcomed, fresh sound to the game. And after a long wait, and BX f-ggot wilding out, the album finally leaked.

1.“Sherane AKA Master Splinters Daughter”: Right off the bat Kendrick flexes his story telling ability. While he is no Nas, its pretty fu-king evident hes got the creative gift. Beat is perfect for the song. 4/5

2.“Bi-ch Dont k!ll My Vibe”: Smooth Track. If his voice didn’t sound so much like an alien on the hook I could probably fu-k my girl to this. Nice sound, a great track to drive around in the whip in. His flow switch ups are flawless. 4/5

3.“Backseat Freestyle”: Not feeling this hook, verses are decent. The beat of course is flames. Hit Boy is part of an elite group of producers who cant make whack music right now. 3/5

4.“The Art Of Peer Pressure”: Classic fu-king song. The beat has a great old school feel. Kendrick is speaking on that unfortunate truth right here. This is a perfect description of the horrible mentality these young kids have, the wasted youth. Yet whatever class we were born in, we can relate to the concept of the song. I’m going be bold here and call this one of the best songs of the year. 5/5

5.“Money Trees” feat Jay Rock: Another great song. This hook is catchy as fu-k and the beat is perfect for riding around. Kendrick speaks on some sh-t here. Jay Rock came through with a nice flow and verse. We all chasing the money….ya bish 5/5

6.“Poetic Justice” feat Drake: Oh no. Why did we have to have the Cupcake King aka the COAT make an appearance on this album? The beat is amazing though, and that Janet Jackson sample is perfect. This sh-t really is a smooth track. Now to the COAT…well he was tolerable, I wish he would have had Cole on here instead, that same Drake flow is played out, we off that. It would be wise of Kendrick to release this as a single and shoot a vid, females will eat this joint up. 4/5

7.“Good Kid”: Sorry Pharrell , I’m not feeling this beat. Kendrick is speaking on the traps of life in this one. The verses are great lyrically and flow wise, the beat just ruins this song for me, I’m just not feeling it. 3.5/5

8.“M.A.A.D City” feat MC Eiht: The beat change up is god damn brilliant. Kendrick is painting a dark picture of the City of Angels here. There are some quotable bars for sure on this joint. His voice is a little “accent-ish” on this. But that second BEAT. MY GOD THIS sh-t IS EPIC. God I miss this type of beats image. This song is violent though, and MC Eihit came so hard with the delivery with that verse. 5/5

9.“Swimming Pools (Drank)”: I’ve been feeling this song since the moment it came out. A mainstream track with substance? Yep America is infatuated with alcoholism. T-minus k!lls it like always, hes got 2/3 of my two favorite producers in it. If only we could also have had that dude Harry Fraud on this album. bi-ches are eating this sh-t up here in Michigan. 4.5/5

10.“Sing About Me, Dying Of Thirst”: Another Hook that I just cant vibe too. This beat is cool, love the piano. The concept is great though. Kendrick again flexes that story telling ability. Most rappers are just spitting bars, Kendrick is spitting knowledge without coming off to Lupe/preachy ish. This dude is just a great story teller and hes only 25. 4.5/5

11.“Real” feat Anna Wise: Again a weak hook. The fu-k is wrong with him and this alien voice. The concept is great but idk. The beat is decent, his flow and voice are kinda irritating over this beat though. One of my least favorite tracks on the album. 2.5/5

12.“Compton” feat Dr. Dre: Love this beat. We need more of this sh-t, these drums are flawless and that sax sound gets you entranced. Dre with his ghost written verses was not bad. I can get down to this song, good pre-gaming/partying song. Game should hop on the remix of this. 5/5

13.“The Recipe” feat Dr. Dre: Easily top 20 songs of the year. His marketing really dropped the ball on this one, this needed to be promoted more. What the fu-k happened to that video? Friends of mine who aren’t into music as much as myself were all over this joint. This is the closest thing to a hit on this album, it really is unfortunate they didn’t capitalize on this song. Even though Dre probably didn’t do anything their chemistry is undeniable. 5/5

14.“Black Boy Fly”: This beat is so dark. This song and “Art of Peer Pressure” are my favorite songs on the album. Kendrick is spitting his heart out on this sh-t. Homey’s got that emotion going on this one, its like he took a page from our savior Joe Budden. Matter of fact he needs to get the god Budden on a remix. 5/5

15.“Now or Never” feat Mary J Blige: Definitely not feeling this joint. Its just a little too corny for my taste. With the hook and these verse he might as well had Alex Da Kid do the beat. This song is just all ham and cheese. Kendricks flow is great, the song is just cliché and corny. 2.5/5

All in all this was a very very good studio debut. K.Dot is one of the best rappers of his generation. The album was cohesive and gave those who dont know him to well a good idea of what he is about. The skits at the end of every song were a little too much, he should have cut some of those down. I also think Kendrick needs to step up his hook game. Alot of lyricists have trouble with writing a good hook, and after listening to this album i can say Kendrick definitely struggled with a few of his hooks. His voice is different, but what do you expect him to sound like? Kendrick sounds like Kendrick just like Wayne sounds like Wayne and Banks sounds like Banks, i can understand how some people might not like it, but i have no problem with it when hes rapping normally, sometimes he does accents that kind of suck a.ss though. I think this will end up in my top 5 of the year. I hope he sells well because hip hop of this caliber needs to be recognized. "The Recipe" video/single would really help IMO. Great album.

4.2/5

rounded up it would be a 4.3/5

Last edited by 1LynguisticMind; 12-11-2012 at 11:30 PM..

50 comments for "1LynguisticMind's Review Of Kendrick Lamar's "Good Kid, M.A.A.D City" (4.2/5)"

5 years ago '07        #2
1LynguisticMind 177 heat pts177 OP
space
space
didnt hear "Collect Calls" tho

jukebox?
 5 years ago '07        #3
space
space
weird it hasnt leaked yet
 5 years ago '07        #4
space
space
 berzerkerguts said:
Good read sir
 5 years ago '04        #5
certifiedplaya1 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,365 | Props total: 162 162
Agreed with everything up until Real. The way it ties up the story is amazing and hearin his mom and dad at the end sayin im sorry bout ur homie gettn k!lled dnt worry bout my dominoes or the van...jus come back home...was epic.
 5 years ago '07        #6
space
space
 certifiedplaya1 said:
Agreed with everything up until Real. The way it ties up the story is amazing and hearin his mom and dad at the end sayin im sorry bout ur homie gettn k!lled dnt worry bout my dominoes or the van...jus come back home...was epic.
yeah like in the review i said i liked the concept, but that hook

and the way he rode that beat (which i wasnt feeling) put me off to the song.
 5 years ago '10        #7
jt satan 79 heat pts79
space
space
$3,666 | Props total: 172 172
i still think the recipe is just an average song
 5 years ago '11        #8
Donthate707 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,928 | Props total: 908 908
backseat freestyle is dope as fu*k atleast a 4/5 and real just had a lame hook
 5 years ago '12        #9
woscoe 
space
space
$298 | Props total: 6 6
is schoolboy q and ab soul not in this album?
 5 years ago '11        #10
case sensitive 
space
space
$3,607 | Props total: 321 321
you crazy for not liking that Sing About Me Hook. that song itself is amazing.

this n*gga is rapping about sh*t only Nas and a few other cats would rap about but not sounding preachy like Lupe or on some smart dumb sh*t like Nas just glancing over huge concepts.

i didnt like the album a whole lot on first listen but im on my 5th or 6th spin and this sh*t is crazy. 4.5/5 to me so far.
 5 years ago '11        #11
case sensitive 
space
space
$3,607 | Props total: 321 321
 woscoe said:
is schoolboy q and ab soul not in this album?
they dont spit verses but Schoolboy is heard in the background of Mc Eiht's verse and i think somewhere else. Pretty sure thats Ab Soul on the Compton hook.

When the tracklist leaked i think it said his name too and everybody went crazy because Ab is from Carson. I could be mistaken tho.
 5 years ago '04        #12
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
$16,986 | Props total: 4330 4330
Good write-up... Did you factor the bonus track scores into the final score though?

Edit: Never mind... 4.2 when you only take into consideration those 12 tracks.
 5 years ago '06        #13
backtrack 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,765 | Props total: 451 451
Good review.
 5 years ago '07        #14
space
space
 JFamis said:
Good write-up... Did you factor the bonus track scores into the final score though?

Edit: Never mind... 4.2 when you only take into consideration those 12 tracks.
its 4.16 with the bonus joints, i rounded it up to 4.2
 10-19-2012, 05:28 PM         #15
K dot 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
The whole album is HOT! If you disagree that's you're own opinion, but to me I like it.
 10-19-2012, 05:41 PM         #16
kevante 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Most overhyped album ever. I knew I was going to be disappointed, but I'm not feeling it that much. Guess I just don't like Kendrick's style too much I'll give it another listen before I condemn the album though
 5 years ago '04        #17
jerzyboy 
space
space
$1,736 | Props total: 8 8
any one notice the albums it pretty much him rapping about one day pretty sick in my opinion 5/5 classic
 5 years ago '07        #18
space
space
 one2remember said:
nah lames just wasnt invited...and its fire too

[pic - click to view]

an anime avy calling me a lame
 5 years ago '07        #19
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,790 | Props total: 14597 14597
 kevante said:
Most overhyped album ever. I knew I was going to be disappointed, but I'm not feeling it that much. Guess I just don't like Kendrick's style too much I'll give it another listen before I condemn the album though
That's your fault for feeding into the hype. Hype is what you make it you can choose to ignore it. I think the album is easily a 4 or higher.
 5 years ago '04        #20
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,412 | Props total: 3477 3477
The album is dope..

A lot of replay value. it's a solid 4-4.5/5 for me.
Home      

most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
81 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
83 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
78 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
85 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
29 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
95 comments
18 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Hugh Jackman Clarifies Disney-Fox Merger & Wolverine Joining the Avenge..
25 comments
2 days ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy