The Verdict Is In: Good kid, M.A.A.D city is...

most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
36 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
234 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
58 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
audio inside Jeezy - Pressure (Official Album Anticipation/Discussion Thread) 12/15
248 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #81
Kingpin 313 104 heat pts104
space
space
space
$19,222 | Props total: 2617 2617
 skillahmang said:
Ask a rapper named Nas about going gold off his first album.
You think this album is as good as illmatic?

This album not a classic quality or impact wise
 5 years ago '10        #82
Ant McQueen 16 heat pts16
space
space
$12,541 | Props total: 5872 5872
 Kingpin 313 said:

I'm not saying this album is better than Illmatic. I'm just playing Devil's Advocate here. What makes Illmatic better than this album?
 5 years ago '04        #83
psylence2k 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$12,807 | Props total: 1830 1830
 Ant McQueen said:
You know what? I actually agree with a lot of your sentiments regarding the judgment of albums. The word " classic " gets thrown around way too often to the point that the word has almost became devoid of any meaning that it once had.

As far why people poke fun at you... it's not because of your opinions, but because it seems rare that you'll post a comment that speaks about something favorably. No offense, fam, but you and Kingpin (more so Kingpin than anyone, LOL) are like The Grinch That Stole BX.

It's like, " What do you like you? "

Just saying.

Well damn, I hope I dont come off that pessimistic

the last "new" artists to REALLY impress me were probably Lupe , Budden, and Kanye ( probably missing someone but that's off the top.

Last album to really impress me was The Cool, I also thought MBDTF and Life is Good were really solid tho. ( once again I think I might be missing an album or two)

but let's be honest, there really hasn't been anything spectacular in Hip-Hop these past few years, so maybe that's why it seems like you might see alot of critical statements from me. There's alot of threads where I want to give an opinion (positive or negative, praise or criticism) but I just pass, so usually it's mostly when I feel strongly that I just have to give my opinion, and when it come into threads like this or the GKMC thread where over 90% of the thread is calling the album spectacular and a classic , I'm sitting there thinking I downloaded the wrong album or I'm listening to a fake leak or something.

so of course if there has been wayyy more garbage in the game than quality for the past few years, wouldn't it make sense to hear more criticism from me than praise, especially when there's alot of bandwagon hype for some of the garbage ??

nobody out of the new generation of artists the past couple years has really impressed me, from Krit to Cole to Kendric to whoever.

and it gets more and more disappointing to the point of irritation when you keep giving these new cats multiple full listens of their albums and you keep getting let down over and over again, then to come into whatever new leak day thread and see over 90% of BX'ers calling it classic just has me like

I seriously feel that the general audience has lowered their standards.

As praise giving goes, I feel I do that ALOT in here , I dont know how you miss it ?? but it is usually for "appreciation" threads of older work. Only thing in the last year that I was probably enthusiastic about just a little was Life is Good.

Last edited by psylence2k; 10-18-2012 at 12:59 PM..
 10-18-2012, 01:04 PM         #84
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 psylence2k said:
It's not that, if you looked at that 9/11/01 thread a bunch of dudes said they were in 2nd grade n sh*t. lots of young bucks on bx, 80's babies are out numbered.
 5 years ago '05        #85
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
People need to stop calling things classic hours after they leak
 5 years ago '11        #86
Giovanni Cassa 48 heat pts48
space
space
$3,829 | Props total: 219 219
How's this compared to Section 80?
 5 years ago '10        #87
trex 16 heat pts16
space
space
space
$2,783 | Props total: 195 195
great, cohesive project...way too early to talk about 'classic'.
 5 years ago '10        #88
Ant McQueen 16 heat pts16
space
space
$12,541 | Props total: 5872 5872
 psylence2k said:
Well damn, I hope I dont come off that pessimistic

the last "new" artists to REALLY impress me were probably Lupe , Budden, and Kanye ( probably missing someone but that's off the top.

Last album to really impress me was The Cool, I also thought MBDTF and Life is Good were really solid tho. ( once again I think I might be missing an album or two)

but let's be honest, there really hasn't been anything spectacular in Hip-Hop these past few years, so maybe that's why it seems like you might see alot of critical statements from me. There's alot of threads where I want to give an opinion (positive or negative, praise or criticism) but I just pass, so usually it's mostly when I feel strongly that I just have to give my opinion, and when it come into threads like this or the GKMC thread where over 90% of the thread is calling the album spectacular and a classic , I'm sitting there thinking I downloaded the wrong album or I'm listening to a fake leak or something.

so of course if there has been wayyy more garbage in the game than quality for the past few years, wouldn't it make sense to hear more criticism from me than praise, especially when there's alot of bandwagon hype for some of the garbage ??

nobody out of the new generation of artists the past couple years has really impressed me, from Krit to Cole to Kendric to whoever.

and it gets more and more disappointing to the point of irritation when you keep giving these new cats multiple full listens of their albums and you keep getting let down over and over again, then to come into whatever new leak day thread and see over 90% of BX'ers calling it classic just has me like

As praise giving goes, I feel I do that ALOT in here , I dont know how you miss it ?? but it is usually for "appreciation" threads of older work. Only thing in the last year that I was probably enthusiastic about just a little was Life is Good.
Understandable. I was the same way for a minute (I relapse every now and then, LOL). What I've realized is that it usually isn't the artists themselves that make me not like them, but their fans. The people who make outlandish claims about everything being " classic ", " Top 5 ", or " GOAT "... you just have to ignore them or take what they say with a grain of salt. If you pay them too much mind it can rob you of the experience that you could have had with the music.

As far as standards are concerned you have to consider the ages, experience, and knowledge of most of these people (especially on here) that are sharing their opinion. You seem like a pretty knowledge dude; when it comes to Hip Hop so you might not be as impressed with something as someone who could be considered a novice to this Hip Hop sh*t. Kendrick, Cole, etc might be the first taste of " lyricism " that a lot of these teenage dudes get so they're going to treat it like it's the Holy Grail. To you, they're " just another rapper ", " been there done that ".

To address the album: After listening to the album I'll say this... it isn't a classic (time must pass to see if it holds up or leaves a mark), but it's a solid throughout. You can tell he took the time and put tons of energy into creating this project. In my opinion it's well crafted.

All in all, try not to let detractors fu*k up your experience with the music.
 5 years ago '09        #89
JewsusChrist 211 heat pts211
space
space
space
$17,406 | Props total: 74 74
itll be waaaaaaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaay to hard to make an album that will impact a society at this time

i really dont think a freshman rapper can do that anymore

50 did it by bringing that real gangsta sh*t

eminem did by making white ppl fit in rap

i dont even remember the last debut album that had a big impact

i dont think we can say that fits into a classic album anymore
 5 years ago '09        #90
thegoldenhero 3 heat pts
space
space
$36,242 | Props total: 19349 19349
 AzulineAzure said:
itll be waaaaaaaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaay to hard to make an album that will impact a society at this time

i really dont think a freshman rapper can do that anymore

50 did it by bringing that real gangsta sh*t

eminem did by making white ppl fit in rap

i dont even remember the last debut album that had a big impact

i dont think we can say that fits into a classic album anymore
College Dropout was the last classic debut to make a big impact can't think of another
 5 years ago '06        #91
hooligun 12 heat pts12
space
space
$20,301 | Props total: 538 538
3.5/5
 5 years ago '11        #92
Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
 thegoldenhero said:
College Dropout was the last classic debut to make a big impact can't think of another
TM101 a year later...
 5 years ago '11        #93
Kingpin 313 104 heat pts104
space
space
space
$19,222 | Props total: 2617 2617
Tm101 the last classic with impact
 5 years ago '07        #94
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17 OP
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
 Kingpin 313 said:
Tm101 the last classic with impact
explain the impact and how that changed the face of ra?p??
 5 years ago '12        #95
DoMieD 5 heat pts
space
space
$46,986 | Props total: 1251 1251
TM101.. Negative
 5 years ago '04        #96
RoyceDa59 240 heat pts240
space
space
$14,967 | Props total: 4679 4679
fu*kin great, been on loop all morning at work since 7
 5 years ago '12        #97
DoMieD 5 heat pts
space
space
$46,986 | Props total: 1251 1251
 Legit1 said:
Kendrick my n*gga but I guarantee A$AP Rocky's debut will be better than his

Yall see

Based off what?

Idiot.

ASAP fu*king sucks and I doubt you have heard his debut so I don't know what your guaranteeing
 5 years ago '07        #98
KnicksLost 17 heat pts17 OP
space
space
space
$47,257 | Props total: 1609 1609
 Kingpin 313 said:

let me ask u something what impact did the last album u called a classic had???

only holy grails transform the landscape of rap or change the conscious plane of how rappers spit.
 5 years ago '04        #99
pandemon 8 heat pts
space
space
$10,400 | Props total: 376 376
is this a joke thread?

do yall even know what classic means??

sh*t has to stand the test of time to be deemed a classic dumbfuks
 10-18-2012, 02:46 PM         #100
Kreemy 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
not sure if this has been brought up yet... someone on a different forum gave a write-up about the album's concept
1. Kendrick is about to meet up with this girl called Sherane. He takes his mother's van to meet her and he bumps into two guys. If this was a movie it would cut.

2. You then realize track 1 was a flash-forward, and this is the actual first track. At the end of this track, Kendrick's homies pick him up.

3. Self explanatory, he does a freestyle in the backseat whilst they're driving.

4. Once again, fairly self explanatory, they cruise around, smoking blunts, drinking and rob someone's house and almost get caught

5. They then talk about meeting up later at 10.30, cause Kendrick has to go meet up with the girl Sherane and fu*k her. This is somewhat a "filler" song for the album, and just gives a bit more insight about how they're all chasing money.

6. This is where we meet with track 1, Kendrick take's his mother's van and borrows it and meets up. Kendrick talks about bad bi*ches in this, and Sherane is definitely one of them. At the end of THIS song, we hear the same melody we heard in track 1 and it flashbacks in to the two guys asking where the fu*k Kendrick is from.

7. They beat the fu*k out of Kendrick and in this song he even says "they will never respect the good kid maad city".

8. Kendrick is mad as fu*k for being beat up, once again another "filler" track but at the end of this track, he meets up with his homies and they're helping him recover and give him some liquor drink since he's just been beaten the fu*k up.

9. Talks about the liquor abuse, following on from track 8 and then at the end of this song, they see the guys that fu*ked up Kendrick and shoot at them. They shoot back and k!ll one of the homie's brother. (NOT kendrick's brother)

10. Flash forward to present day and it's no longer in the story. The first two verses are from the perspective of the friend (the one who's brother died) and how he feels about the whole situation. It's revealed that he wasn't happy with Section 80's Keyshia's Song since that was actually based on his sister. He talks further about it and says that his story isn't going to change sh*t on the streets. Throughout the whole song the chorus is "promise that you will sing about me". Towards the end of the verse (from the perspective of the friend) he says that he'll never fade away, and it is somewhat true, the memory will never fade away, but the friend actually passed away, HENCE why Kendrick didn't have him do the verse himself. From here we can see that Kendrick feels complete guilt for the death of his friend's brother and it seems that when he did a song about his friend's sister (keyshia) it didn't help the situation. However, he still was friends with Kendrick and asked Kendrick to promise to tell the story of his brother.

11. We cut back to the story and the boys wanna go and k!ll the guys that shot Kendrick's friend's brother, they are confronted by a lady of the church who convinces them. Kendrick then receives a phone call from his mother about him taking it seriously and going to the studio since he got a phone call about it.

12. I a.ssume this is an epilogue of Kendrick and how he progressed and made it out of Compton to get studio time with Dr. Dre.

Last point is kind of a reach but overall I think this is the narrative of the album
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
27 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
53 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
62 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
207 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
83 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
149 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
88 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy