Oct 15 - Website Sued for $6.6 Million for Posting Lyrics to 528 Songs

most viewed right now
NBA LaMelo could be the youngest NBA player ever at 16?
22 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Nas got the last laugh
81 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Pierre Bourne says he's responsible for Birthing Tekashi 69 Rap Career...
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake prepping new LP with another new accent
49 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #41
GrindPOWER$ 389 heat pts389
space
space
$19,266 | Props total: 12523 12523
ohhla is throwback i used to jump on that joint back in the day
 5 years ago '12        #42
DreamChasers 87 heat pts87
space
space
$6,899 | Props total: 777 777
 10-16-2012, 12:13 AM         #43
Twelve 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 SickaMorStyle said:
Entertainment companies are mad that the internet crippled profits because they didn't adapt to the changing times. Now movies are bootlegged and that new music cd thats set to drop next week; you get early because some dude uploaded it and now everybodies got it. Now their throwing tantrums suing people over petty sh*t.

I bet if people just went to the movies instead of downloading them or if people actually bought music, they wouldn't be fu*king with this petty sh*t.
That's really what they're mad about.

They think suing everybody is going to scare people into buying stuff again, which it's not. We're back to the same discussion about the movie and music industry pushing formulated quantity over unique quality. When things are worth buying and affordable, the majority will go out and spend money on it.

And how the fu*k am I suppose to know what max b's saying if I don't have a lyrics site to go to?
 5 years ago '12        #44
Ragobeer 41 heat pts41
space
space
space
$2,021 | Props total: 1700 1700
If i were them i would just say that the sole purpose of our website is to allow deaf people to still be able to read what their favorite artists are saying in their songs.
 5 years ago '11        #45
box5 
space
space
space
$2,989 | Props total: 14 14
So let a equal make chipper jones off something you put time and doe into, especially with all these flops, damn right they can sue. I'm a cheap muthafucca but I got no qualms with this, come out the paypa equals they gave muthafuccas 2 years notice. How come you muthafuccas don't cry when they come and take the rappers sh*t lol.

Bottom line if our favorite artist weren't flopping this wouldn't have happened, and I thought the NBA was coming down hard on flopping yell™
 5 years ago '06        #46
KFrizzle 296 heat pts296
space
space
$5,859 | Props total: 143 143
Gotta love Big Government!!!

5 years ago '08        #47
EMER1TUS 11 heat pts11
space
space
$34,750 | Props total: 12177 12177
Some of yall can't read...its not the issue of posting the lyrics...the site is actually making money off the music. I know yall smarter than that to realize the big boys gonna come get you if they know somebody getting a cut off music they had nothing to do with.
 10-16-2012, 09:42 AM         #48
escay_muzik 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
yup...record labels gotta find ways to get money...since sales aint been the same since the early 2k...fu*k that....n*ggas need to boycott the majors and n*ggas need to stay independent...no need for us to make these rich fu*ks any richer...
 5 years ago '06        #49
datVAkid 37 heat pts37
space
space
$13,455 | Props total: 2648 2648
 datnolaboy said:
My n*gga tell that to the prosecutors I was just explaining for the non reading muhfuccas talking bout 'how they get sued for posting lyrics?'. I don't think it's right but I see where they're (the music companies) coming from.
No your explanation was idiotic... books and music are too different forms of media and with different types of regulation. A book gets publish for the sole purpose of reading. The author gets paid by people reading they book. And artist gets paid for people to listen to they music. Written words is not music, its lyrics. If I get ye lyrics and perform them and make profit then yeah I should be sue, but if u put up lyrics for reference and learning reasons then you should be allow to. And he gets paid from traffic not selling the lyrics. That's like me getting sued cause I have a song playing in my store while n*ggaz are shoppng
 5 years ago '04        #50
Khazano 
space
space
$2,396 | Props total: 109 109
 SM said:

It’s not the act of posting the lyrics, but the money that the site was making off of the content. When you’re making money, that becomes a legal issue of copyright infringement.

There is some logic to that thinking...
 5 years ago '04        #51
getyagameup 24 heat pts24
space
space
$4,044 | Props total: 27 27
 case sensitive said:
they might as well sue the entire internet. youtube needs to be taken down this second if a lyric site is fu*king the game up.
this is the same thing that i'm thinking. why haven't they sued google yet then? they have MULTIPLE videos for every song ever. they should have to pay out their a.ss then. but i guess because they are google, its ok. go after the little guys with a little bit of bread but they aren't going to touch google because their lawyers would eat them alive.

this is fu*king bullsh*t. they aren't actually selling the lyrics then this is not a case. they are making money off of the rest of the site which doesn't have anything to do with them and the lyrics.

i wonder how much they are going to start charging for air we breathe and if they are going to differ from clean air and polluted air and how much of a premium minorities are going to pay for it.
 5 years ago '05        #52
Martel 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,818 | Props total: 2623 2623
 Mike Nitty said:
Some of yall can't read...its not the issue of posting the lyrics...the site is actually making money off the music. I know yall smarter than that to realize the big boys gonna come get you if they know somebody getting a cut off music they had nothing to do with.
we can read but we still don't agree with it. this has been going on for years. if labels care so much why don't they make their own website with official lyrics so THEY get the money? I see no point in targeting websites who take the time to jot down lyrics of the songs they like and put it on their own website they're paying for. and 6.6 million are you serious? i highly doubt the site made even close to that. just close down the websites and move on but trying to make them pay insane amounts of money is disgusting.

to be honest i dont think they deserve anything because they didn't think of profiting on the lyrics like liveuniverse did. since liveuniverse came up with the idea why should they have to give it all up? if it wasn't for them these labels woulda made 0 because they didn't think of it in the first place.
 5 years ago '04        #53
Tic Toc 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,165 | Props total: 874 874
 Mike Nitty said:
Soooo..how much do apps like Pandora, Slayer & Spotify have to pay?

and they actually play the entire songs
 5 years ago '05        #54
hustlehard365 
space
space
space
$3,362 | Props total: 885 885
 justinjones said:
you get sued for posting lyrics now?

the fuk?

one day interscope is going to sue some headphones company saying "you don't have the right to have our music listen to by these headphones. only beats by dre"
u sell advertisements on your site because u tell an advertiser i bring in 10,000 hits an hr so the advertisers says ok ill pay xyz amount to put an ad on your site and give u .0001 a hit so u do that with 5 or so other sponsors and there u have it a fully profitable site built off of popular content u dont pay for...alot of the time its user submitted lyrics on these site so they dont pay for the lyrics, dont pay for the person's time transcribing the lyrics and then sell hits to advertisers...sorry i can't cry for the "little guy" here
 5 years ago '05        #55
white-chocolate 124 heat pts124
space
space
$15,497 | Props total: 1357 1357
 Se7en said:
Good. They're profiting off it so they deserved to get sued
if this is the case i don't care

i know
[spoiler - click to view]

and
[spoiler - click to view]

don't charge you to use their site but i'd believe they still make money from the traffic to them..
anyone think they will be targeted next?
 5 years ago '06        #56
datnolaboy 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,668 | Props total: 1371 1371
 datVAkid said:
No your explanation was idiotic... books and music are too different forms of media and with different types of regulation. A book gets publish for the sole purpose of reading. The author gets paid by people reading they book. And artist gets paid for people to listen to they music. Written words is not music, its lyrics. If I get ye lyrics and perform them and make profit then yeah I should be sue, but if u put up lyrics for reference and learning reasons then you should be allow to. And he gets paid from traffic not selling the lyrics. That's like me getting sued cause I have a song playing in my store while n*ggaz are shoppng
n*gga you're an idiot. First off "too" and "two" are TWO different words. Secondly, do you know why writers are listed on albums? Because writers get paid. Written words dumbass. It's called intellectual property and if you write a song you get money.

If you read I said the lawsuit is going down the same path of the book thing I didn't say it was the same. I'm not the lawyer, I don't agree with the lawsuit but I'm not going to be closed minded like you. All I said was I understand what the prosecutor was trying to say. They'll probably lose (I hope so anyway) but don't come at me when you didn't understand what I was talking about.

Lastly, yea you COULD get sued for having a song playing in your store. It depends but that's why there's muzak. That elevator music, yea people get paid for that. When NBA teams play "Jump" before a jump ball yeah people get paid off that. It's called licensing. Go read a book a get off my jock n*gga.
 10-16-2012, 02:34 PM         #57
billieskeet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Tic Toc said:
Soooo..how much do apps like Pandora, Slayer & Spotify have to pay?

and they actually play the entire songs
Article here says Pandora pays .102 cents per song played, but who actually knows. I know they ain't getting away with it for free.

5 years ago '04        #58
dat_boi_tj 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,406 | Props total: 679 679
fu*ked up but I can see why they would get sued, making money off other other peoples works, but 6.6 mill tho??
 5 years ago '11        #59
Deuterion 2 heat pts
space
space
$4,374 | Props total: 4264 4264
 hustlehard365 said:
u sell advertisements on your site because u tell an advertiser i bring in 10,000 hits an hr so the advertisers says ok ill pay xyz amount to put an ad on your site and give u .0001 a hit so u do that with 5 or so other sponsors and there u have it a fully profitable site built off of popular content u dont pay for...alot of the time its user submitted lyrics on these site so they dont pay for the lyrics, dont pay for the person's time transcribing the lyrics and then sell hits to advertisers...sorry i can't cry for the "little guy" here
Thank you!
 10-16-2012, 03:08 PM         #60
*Missy* 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
154 comments
1 day ago