Oct 15 - Website Sued for $6.6 Million for Posting Lyrics to 528 Songs

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
31 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
135 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
99 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
154 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '06        #1
6443 pageviews
63 comments

SM 38189 heat pts38189
space
space
$127,975 | Props total: 67567 67567
Oct 15 - Website Sued for $6.6 Million for Posting Lyrics to 528 Songs

Man, this is horrible. This website, LiveUniverse, is currently in the midst of a legal battle that may wind up costing them over $6 million dollars. Why? Because they posted lyrics to over 500 different songs.

What it comes down to is that a judge is saying that this site posted lyrics without the permission of the labels, publishers or songwriters Ė and at a fine of $12,500 per song X 528 songs, you now have a major issue. A 6.6 million dollar issue.

From what I can gather, the gist of it is that Itís not the act of posting the lyrics, but the money that the site was making off of the content. When youíre making money, that becomes a legal issue of copyright infringement.

[pic - click to view]

Website Sued for $6.6 Million for Posting Lyrics to 528 Songs | THEHIPHOPUPDATE.com

63 comments for "Oct 15 - Website Sued for $6.6 Million for Posting Lyrics to 528 Songs"

5 years ago '10        #2
kiddrocay 27 heat pts27
space
space
$19,659 | Props total: 4495 4495
wait this is some bull ish
 5 years ago '10        #3
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,732 | Props total: 19628 19628
Wow. RIP to OHHLA.
 5 years ago '04        #4
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,433 | Props total: 6487 6487
you get sued for posting lyrics now?

the fuk?

one day interscope is going to sue some headphones company saying "you don't have the right to have our music listen to by these headphones. only beats by dre"

Last edited by justinjones; 10-15-2012 at 01:25 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #5
gimmethat 1 heat pts
space
space
$11,483 | Props total: 2722 2722
$12,500 per song
wtf ?

i remember reading that alot of sites received threats from labels a few years ago...this is crazy
 5 years ago '11        #6
NewEra21 14 heat pts14
space
space
space
$356 | Props total: 4 4
thats why i dont mind downloading albums for free, fu*k the labels.
 5 years ago '09        #7
TraV 77 heat pts77
space
space
$21,091 | Props total: 1824 1824
 justinjones said:
you get sued for posting lyrics now?

the fuk?

one day interscope is going to sue some headphones company saying "you don't have the right to have our music listen to by these headphones. only beats by dre"

Word.

They trying to have a monopoly on LIFE out here.
 5 years ago '10        #8
BBhiphop 523 heat pts523
space
space
$17,052 | Props total: 20263 20263
 5 years ago '06        #9
datnolaboy 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,668 | Props total: 1371 1371
Think about it, it's like posting the an entire book w/o the author's permission and making money off it. That's illegal. This lawsuit is going down that same path. People forget songs have writers. You can't take a writer's work from ANY artform (poetry, books, scripts, lyrics) and post it and make money off it. If it was just lyrics with no money involved this would be a stupid lawsuit.
 5 years ago '11        #10
Kid Cunner 400 heat pts400
space
space
$5,682 | Props total: 2 2
So why would they go after this site and not a huge one like RG?
 5 years ago '07        #11
ttime236 38 heat pts38
space
space
$10,133 | Props total: 18 18
Some of yall didnt read, its not cus they posted lyrics but because they profited off posting lyrics

Still tho, fu*k the music industry and its greedy ways
 5 years ago '11        #12
does any 1 care 19 heat pts19
space
space
$5,653 | Props total: 419 419

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '10        #13
kiddrocay 27 heat pts27
space
space
 ttime236 said:
Some of yall didnt read, its not cus they posted lyrics but because they profited off posting lyrics

Still tho, fu*k the music industry and its greedy ways
if they are profiting off web traffic then how could u blame them?

this a bunch of bull ish and bullying
 5 years ago '11        #14
space
space
 datnolaboy said:
Think about it, it's like posting the an entire book w/o the author's permission and making money off it. That's illegal. This lawsuit is going down that same path. People forget songs have writers. You can't take a writer's work from ANY artform (poetry, books, scripts, lyrics) and post it and make money off it. If it was just lyrics with no money involved this would be a stupid lawsuit.
They aren't selling you the lyrics tho, it's not like you're buying a lyric book. It's the same concept of, buying the artwork but getting a free CD when DJ's sell mixtapes in stores. The site provides a service, they post lyrics for you to read. Sites make money from traffic, and ads, they're not making it from selling you lyrics.
 5 years ago '11        #15
space
space
This is the same sh*t as people suing for samples on mixtape songs, claiming you make money off the snog cause you perform it live which is ridiculous. The industry will do anything for a lawsuit these days.
 5 years ago '06        #16
datnolaboy 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,668 | Props total: 1371 1371
 Kid Cunner said:
They aren't selling you the lyrics tho, it's not like you're buying a lyric book. It's the same concept of, buying the artwork but getting a free CD when DJ's sell mixtapes in stores. The site provides a service, they post lyrics for you to read. Sites make money from traffic, and ads, they're not making it from selling you lyrics.
My n*gga tell that to the prosecutors I was just explaining for the non reading muhfuccas talking bout 'how they get sued for posting lyrics?'. I don't think it's right but I see where they're (the music companies) coming from.
 5 years ago '11        #17
space
space
 datnolaboy said:
My n*gga tell that to the prosecutors I was just explaining for the non reading muhfuccas talking bout 'how they get sued for posting lyrics?'. I don't think it's right but I see where they're (the music companies) coming from.
I mean of course I know prosecutors are gonna spin it any way they can to make it look the opposite way, that sh*t is just insane though. If I had a blog where I just posted pics of random sh*t, I could sued cause I have an album cover posted somewhere on there, and they could claim all the money my site made was due to this one picture. Like at what point does it become ridiculous you know?
 5 years ago '10        #18
kiddrocay 27 heat pts27
space
space
 datnolaboy said:
so you are suggesting that they give the music companies some of the profits although they are not making any money off the lyrics themselves??

I could understand if they were charging people to view the lyrics but this is some bull ish

America is the only place some ish like this will take place

they post full live episodes, books, etc. from other countries and you wont hear of one damn lawsuit brewing about
 10-15-2012, 02:10 PM         #19
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
this been around since like 2000, publishers have always tried to sue lyric websites.
 5 years ago '06        #20
"SS" 28 heat pts28
space
space
$10,241 | Props total: 4831 4831
half the lyrics on thise lyrics websites be wrong as hell anyway guess they gonna sue youtube next for lettin folks post videos with lyrics in em
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
65 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
105 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Bannon looks like a DISHEVELED DRUNK that wondered on stage
15 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
26 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
61 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
114 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
152 comments
1 day ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy