Smush Parker fires back after Kobe Bryant’s ‘worst’ slam: ‘What I don’t like about him is the man th

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
136 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
58 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
63 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside January Rose
10 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '06        #1
9128 pageviews
116 comments

nightmare 429 heat pts429
space
space
$13,073 | Props total: 37 37
Smush Parker fires back after Kobe Bryant’s ‘worst’ slam: ‘What I don’t like about him is the man th

On Thursday, BDL Editor Kelly Dwyer brought you the story of Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant — now part of perhaps the best starting five in the NBA this season — speaking, shall we say, unkindly about the somewhat lesser teammates with whom he once shared the Staples Center's stage. While several players caught freewheeling insults, the Black Mamba reserved his most poisonous venom for former starting L.A. point guard Smush Parker, whom Bryant said was "the worst," "shouldn't have been in the NBA" and was allowed to "walk on" to the Lakers because "we were too cheap to pay for a point guard."
Basically, Kobe — from his comfortable perch at/near the top of the NBA — took great glee in throwing rocks down at the head of Parker, who hasn't played in the NBA since the 2007-08 season and to whom scarcely any NBA fans have given more than a "Hey, remember that guy?" thought over the past four or so years, all of which, of course, seems completely necessary and not at all ridiculously petulant.
After Bryant's remarks became a topic of much sports-talk discussion on Thursday, Parker had an opportunity to respond, joining the Blog Talk Radio program Hard2Guard Radio to discuss not only the direct insults of his ability, but also his general perceptions of Kobe from the two seasons Smush spent playing alongside him. Parker has spoken out of both sides of his mouth on this issue in the past, calling him "a great guy" and "a great teammate" back in 2007, but describing playing with Bryant as "overrated" two years later.
Now 31, having played overseas since 2009, Parker showed respect for Bryant's game and accomplishments in the 35-minute interview, but made it clear that he's not too big a fan of Kobe as a person. Larry Brown Sports transcribed portions of the interview:
"You can't knock the man's legacy, you can't knock what he's done in basketball. His work ethic is tremendous. There's not an ounce of hate in my blood whatsoever. The guy can play basketball — you've seen that throughout his career.

"What I don't like about him is the man that he is. His personality. How he treats people. I don't like that side of Kobe Bryant."

That side, according to Parker, prevents anybody without a certain established level of accomplishment and bona fides from even speaking to Bryant:

"Midway through the first season, I tried to at least have a conversation with Kobe Bryant — he is my teammate, he is a co-worker of mine, I see his face every day I go in to work — and I tried to talk with him about football. He tells me I can't talk to him. He tells me I need more accolades under my belt before I come talk to him. He was dead serious. [...]
"We're teammates, we talk basketball on the court. [Our talks were] about getting him the ball pretty much."

Well, now, that just sounds ... um, well, that sounds about right, actually. That kind of passes the Black Mamba smell test. If I was not some kind of legendary talent or someone absolutely instrumental in ensuring Kobe Bryant's success, I could totally see him not having much use for me in conversation, and I could certainly see whatever conversations we might have specifically relating to whatever use he might have for me in ensuring success. Then again, a lot of my conversations tend to involve stuff like that pretty good 2005 Babyshambles record and whether it'd be better for robot voices to have a variety of tones and timbres, like fleshies, or if they should all sound like Auto-Tune, so we know them upon first hearing. So maybe I'd deserve it.
And, to some degree, maybe Smush deserved it, too. After all, Parker's a man who, as Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Times puts it, was "known to have a surly attitude [during his playing career] and his professionalism often came into question, including the time he missed a team plane because he overslept." For someone like Kobe, for whom winning is ostensibly the only thing worth waking up to do, having to rely on a player on whom you didn't really know you could rely (let alone a couple of them) was probably maddening. Then again, working day in and day out with someone who basically views you as little more than a detestable pile of carbon probably isn't the most fun thing in the world, either, which makes Smush seem somewhat sympathetic here.
Other chunks of the interview involve Parker that he wasn't actually a surly dude, but was rather "misunderstood" during his career, which, I don't know — some folks, like Metta World Peace, who shares a home borough with Parker, co-sign him, and others, like ex-NBA beat man Ross Siler, who covered the Kobe-and-Smush Lakers for the Los Angeles Daily News, don't. Parker answers Bryant's "didn't belong in the league" criticism by noting that he was "top three in all the categories" on the Lakers' stat sheets during his two seasons with the team, which would be a great point if Kobe's initial argument was something besides, "The rest of my teammates then were terrible." Smush might've checkmated himself with that one.
A relatively reasonable perspective on all of these seems to be to acknowledge that Kobe is right that Smush was significantly less than a perfect backcourt partner on those mid-Aughts Laker teams, that Kobe probably isn't the easiest guy to get along with, that Smush probably didn't make it that easy for a hyper-competitive guy to get along with him, and that Kobe doesn't need to be spending too much time before the start of what should be a title-contending season talking about a roughly replacement-level player he played with five years ago. Does that seem fair to everybody? That about sum it up?

[pic - click to view]

Smush Parker fires back after Kobe Bryant’s ‘worst’ slam: ‘What I don’t like about him is the man that he is’ | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo! Sports

damn kobe an as-hole image

116 comments for "Smush Parker fires back after Kobe Bryant’s ‘worst’ slam: ‘What I don’t like about him is the man th"

5 years ago '04        #2
Explicit 239 heat pts239
space
space
$10,090 | Props total: 2389 2389
He shouldn't have been like Aziz Ansari worrying about pizza

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '10        #3
SoulOnIce 67 heat pts67
space
space
space
$13,759 | Props total: 940 940
I want to see kobe and smush catch that fade
 10-12-2012, 10:59 PM         #4
Throbbin' Thicke 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Is anyone really surprised by this?
 10-12-2012, 11:01 PM         #5
Lannister 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
in b4 mj was like this too

5 years ago '05        #6
Based_One 79 heat pts79
space
space
$9,701 | Props total: 6924 6924
Really? Who didn't know Kobe was an as*hole I remember back in high school n*ggas used to always say that n*gga didn't have no friends.
 5 years ago '11        #7
Loso Luciano24 227 heat pts227
space
space
$14,486 | Props total: 8380 8380
"You can't knock the man's legacy, you can't knock what he's done in basketball. His work ethic is tremendous. There's not an ounce of hate in my blood whatsoever. The guy can play basketball — you've seen that throughout his career."

5 years ago '06        #8
nightmare 429 heat pts429 OP
space
space
$13,073 | Props total: 37 37
 Based_One said:
Really? Who didn't know Kobe was an as*hole I remember back in high school n*ggas used to always say that n*gga didn't have no friends.
damn i aint kno that
 5 years ago '10        #9
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
$21,490 | Props total: 9774 9774
He ain't lyin
 5 years ago '11        #10
MakeItHappen456 41 heat pts41
space
space
$6,198 | Props total: 1609 1609
 Based_One said:
Who cares ? He is about his paper and rings. smush hasn't never accomplished nothing in life, and must really be hurt from the neglect. Time to get over it and move on.
 10-13-2012, 09:08 AM         #11
SmooveDude 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MakeItHappen456 said:
Who cares ? He is about his paper and rings. smush hasn't never accomplished nothing in life, and must really be hurt from the neglect. Time to get over it and move on.
Making it to the league is an accomplishment n*gga
 5 years ago '09        #12
Axl Rose 21 heat pts21
space
space
$23,391 | Props total: 5095 5095
He tells me I can't talk to him. He tells me I need more accolades under my belt before I come talk to him. He was dead serious.

kobe is a as*hole
 5 years ago '06        #13
Mr Kush 32 heat pts32
space
space
$2,500 | Props total: 906 906
 MakeItHappen456 said:
Smush was a scrub but still... You don't live vicariously through Kobe dude. Smush being a millionaire and making it to the NBA is still more than you will ever accomplish
 5 years ago '11        #14
Brolicballer13 1 heat pts
space
space
$2,499 | Props total: 1123 1123
Dang Kobe just lived and breathed competition he don't even want to talk to his teammates, this guy is like addicted to basketball and focused on winning
Time to get that sixth
 5 years ago '09        #15
The Bully 350 heat pts350
space
space
$48,316 | Props total: 34669 34669
At the end of the day, despite all Kobe's accolades.... we all know he's a uncle tom snitch who gotten manhandled by reggie miller and chris childs, and has more respect for the Mexican community than the black community. Millions in the bank can't buy the shame's he given to his people. And all of yall who idolize his fame, salary and rings are worse than the white bi*ch who he r*ped in the a.ss.
 5 years ago '07        #16
INFAMOUS 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$35,778 | Props total: 2740 2740
[email changed - confirm acct by email]
 5 years ago '11        #17
superdrunken 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,849 | Props total: 82 82
 Brolicballer13 said:
Dang Kobe just lived and breathed competition he don't even want to talk to his teammates, this guy is like addicted to basketball and focused on winning
Time to get that sixth
 5 years ago '11        #18
royman04 18 heat pts18
space
space
$12,301 | Props total: 4569 4569
fu*k smush he was getting a Nba.check to play basketball for a living and he whinin about kobe's personality? Man u playin in LA if u trash they will let u know, and that boi is trash. Maybe if he had a different mindset then he could have grown in the Nba instead of wasting a roster spot
 5 years ago '07        #19
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,828 | Props total: 4801 4801
 royman04 said:
fu*k smush he was getting a Nba.check to play basketball for a living and he whinin about kobe's personality? Man u playin in LA if u trash they will let u know, and that boi is trash. Maybe if he had a different mindset then he could have grown in the Nba instead of wasting a roster spot
u do understand kobe is tha 1 whining about smush?well,nomu probaly dont
 5 years ago '07        #20
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,828 | Props total: 4801 4801
 The Bully said:
At the end of the day, despite all Kobe's accolades.... we all know he's a uncle tom snitch who gotten manhandled by reggie miller and chris childs, and has more respect for the Mexican community than the black community. Millions in the bank can't buy the shame's he given to his people. And all of yall who idolize his fame, salary and rings are worse than the white bi*ch who he r*ped in the a.ss.
this right here
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
67 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
1 day ago