Apple Says Scratches and Chips are "Normal"

most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
152 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Akademiks low-key proved he lurks here
45 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside LMAO: Boskoe 100 SPAZZED OUT On Joe Budden!!
61 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Suavementeee Besameee
20 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '12        #1
5731 pageviews
95 comments

eCity 420 21 heat pts21
space
space
$9,257 | Props total: 837 837
Apple Says Scratches and Chips are "Normal"

[pic - click to view]

In an interesting twist to Scuffgate, Apple’s marketing boss Phil Schiller has admitted that the iPhone 5′s susceptibility to scuffing is… “normal.” Furthermore, it would seem that Apple is fully aware that the iPhone 5 is easy to scuff — and yet it knowingly proceeded to manufacture (and sell) record breaking numbers of the new device.

Phil Schiller’s comments come from an email response to a customer, who had contacted the vice president to ask about some “scuffs, scratches and marks” on the chamfered edge that surrounds the phone. Schiller’s reply, in full, is below:

Any aluminum product may scratch or chip with use, exposing its natural silver color. That is normal.

A little unbelievably, this seems to be the only official Scuffgate response from Apple. The email is very short (17 words!), so we’re loathe to read too much into it — but it does seem to give off a feeling of condescension, or perhaps nonchalance. The original email also asks Schiller if there is any plan to fix the scuffing issue, but Schiller ignores that in his response, which could well mean that Apple doesn’t plan to replace or recall damaged iPhone 5s.

Aluminium is soft

In our original Scuffgate story we analyzed the iPhone 5′s anodized chassis, as that seemed to be the underlying cause of the scuffs and scratches. Anodization can significantly add to aluminium’s durability, but only if it’s done properly — and it would seem that Apple either forgot to seal the anodized coating, or it simply didn’t make the anodized layer thick enough to prevent scratching. imageimage

Schiller’s response complicates things, as it suggests that the aluminium itself is the underlying cause. It’s possible that Schiller, being a marketing guy, doesn’t understand the interplay of aluminium and anodization on the iPhone 5′s back and sides — but really, if that’s the case, should he really be replying to scuff-related emails in an official capacity? Still, for the sake of argument, let’s a.ssume that the scuffing is actually caused by some intrinsic failure of aluminium.

Apple chose aluminium for the iPhone 5 chassis because it’s a lot lighter than stainless steel, which made up the bulk of the iPhone 4 and 4S chassis. Per cubic meter, aluminium is a third of the weight of stainless steel (2600kg vs. 8000kg). In exchange, though, aluminium is much softer than steel — it is quite easy to bend or dent aluminium with minor pressure, while steel is very tough. Aluminium is so much lighter than steel that the usual solution is to simply use a thicker layer for more strength — but this doesn’t make it any harder. A fat block of butter is no harder to dent than a thin block of butter.

Still, I don’t see how the inherent softness of aluminium makes the iPhone 5′s back and sides more likely to “scratch or chip.” Schiller must be referring to the fact that anodization simply isn’t strong enough to withstand everyday use. We know this isn’t the case, though, as anodized aluminium is very well understood and used in a massive gamut of applications — including military, where the anodized coating certainly doesn’t just scratch off.

[pic - click to view]

Apple responds to iPhone 5 scuffs, says scratches and chips are ‘normal’ | ExtremeTech

image thought these phones were of quality

95 comments for "Apple Says Scratches and Chips are "Normal""

5 years ago '05        #2
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,061 | Props total: 10743 10743
Phone cases
 5 years ago '06        #3
coolio 57 heat pts57
space
space
$18,375 | Props total: 9 9
sucks

another loss for apple stans..the one thing they always used to say was "apple only releases quality products"..now with iOS 6 being sh*tty and not working well and the iphone quality being sh*tty and cheap, there goes their main argument
 5 years ago '12        #4
eCity 420 21 heat pts21 OP
space
space
 P-Hill said:
Phone cases
if these phones got scratched up shipping in a cardboard box.. a case will probably scratch and chip it when u put it on
 5 years ago '11        #5
UrbanGAAWD 209 heat pts209
space
space
$7,295 | Props total: 1071 1071
This should just further show fans of apple products that they don't care about sh*t but getting money from you...it reminds me of when antennagate was going on about dropped signals and Steve jobs basically was like yeah it loses signal if you hold it normally, just don't touch that spot.....like n*gga what the fu*k?

fu*k apple for this and even stans have to admit that's an bullsh*t excuse and pathetic on apples part
 5 years ago '06        #6
Yung Dilla 1478 heat pts1478
space
space
$54,865 | Props total: 25625 25625
Damn homie!!
 5 years ago '10        #7
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
I don't know if that's asking for too much. Durability and good looks. May as well ask for a diamond huh?
 5 years ago '11        #8
XxHeAtMaKeRxX 30 heat pts30
space
space
$4,843 | Props total: 269 269
Android stans up in this thread celebrating

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '04        #9
fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323
space
space
$9,568 | Props total: 2714 2714
 XxHeAtMaKeRxX said:

[pic - click to view]

n*gga quit trolling... you're up in every thread talking this 'android stan' nonsense. This is the main section so expect every to comment in every thread and stop posting the same gif. Apple lost... you're parents lost...decent apple fans lost
 5 years ago '11        #10
space
space
 fat_boyy21 said:
n*gga quit trolling... you're up in every thread talking this 'android stan' nonsense. This is the main section so expect every to comment in every thread and stop posting the same gif. Apple lost... you're parents lost...decent apple fans lost
funny you say that cause i see the same Android stans in every iPhone thread celebrating and popping bottles

im just pointing out facts brah

if youre not in every iPhone thread then it shouldnt bother you

find me an iPhone thread without an Android stan having orgasms about how much he loves his phone or how much the iPhone sucks..

[pic - click to view]

just like it bothers you to see one person in every thread talking sh*t, how about a 20+ ppl in one thread talking about how much the iPhone sucks..

Android stans catching feelings out here

stay in your lane lame

Last edited by XxHeAtMaKeRxX; 09-26-2012 at 01:12 PM..
 5 years ago '12        #11
eCity 420 21 heat pts21 OP
space
space
 XxHeAtMaKeRxX said:

[pic - click to view]

i like how u ignore the article tho.. even if the iphone gave u aids on contact you would still defend it.. lol f*ggot n*gga
 5 years ago '11        #12
space
space
 eCity 420 said:
i like how u ignore the article tho.. even if the iphone gave u aids on contact you would still defend it.. lol f*ggot n*gga
this is you in an Apple thread talking about football

eCity 420 said:
How did the Cowboys do in Seattle last weekend???

Sonics Back
i see your username and sig elsewhere and all that comes to mind is "Android stan"

fall back Stanley
 5 years ago '05        #13
P-Hill|M 26 heat pts26
space
space
$37,061 | Props total: 10743 10743
 XxHeAtMaKeRxX said:
funny you say that cause i see the same Android stans in every iPhone thread celebrating and popping bottles

im just pointing out facts brah

if youre not in every iPhone thread then it shouldnt bother you

find me an iPhone thread without an Android stan having orgasms about how much he loves his phone or how much the iPhone sucks..

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '11        #14
space
space
 P-Hill said:

iPhone owners lounge

and even there i can find threads where Androids have gone in lol its impossible. Android stans cant stay out of Apple threads if their lives depended on it.. FACT

Last edited by XxHeAtMaKeRxX; 09-26-2012 at 01:26 PM..
 5 years ago '06        #15
coolio 57 heat pts57
space
space
$18,375 | Props total: 9 9
because angry reactions like urs are very satisfying
 5 years ago '11        #16
space
space
This thread isn't a Android vs Apple vs Windows or anything like that...it's a thread where a company is pushing lackluster products on their fans and the fans should be up in arms and pissed...that's all

apple fans and stans dont be mad at anyone but apple for pushing a product that has scratches and dents...shiiitt if i paid 200-700 bucks for a iphone 5 and it wasn't a 100% perfect in terms of no dents or dings then i'd bi*ch at the apple store for a new one and a case for my troubles
 5 years ago '11        #17
space
space
 urbangatsby said:
This thread isn't a Android vs Apple vs Windows or anything like that...it's a thread where a company is pushing lackluster products on their fans and the fans should be up in arms and pissed...that's all

apple fans and stans dont be mad at anyone but apple for pushing a product that has scratches and dents...shiiitt if i paid 200-700 bucks for a iphone 5 and it wasn't a 100% perfect in terms of no dents or dings then i'd bi*ch at the apple store for a new one and a case for my troubles
so why is it full of Android fans?
 5 years ago '06        #18
xFMx ALCHEMiST 262 heat pts262
space
space
$11,124 | Props total: 1331 1331
it's a forum, standroids/isheep can post whatever they want.

Fact is, Apple aint giving replacements and that the iPhone 5
will look sh*tty after a few months if u dont take care of it.
HTC has this chipping problem with the International One S
The dents from Apple tho that's unacceptable

Last edited by xFMx ALCHEMiST; 09-26-2012 at 01:52 PM..
 5 years ago '11        #19
space
space
 adulel08 said:
it's a forum, standroids/isheep can post whatever they want.

Fact is, Apple aint giving replacements and that the iPhone 5
will look sh*tty after a few months if u dont take care of it.
HTC has this chipping problem with the International One S
The dents from Apple tho that's unacceptable

Thank you it's like only certain people can enter an apple thread or whatever...people need to be pissed at Apple if there's any anger...and let people post whatever they want
 5 years ago '06        #20
JCSIII 72 heat pts72
space
space
$6,990 | Props total: 144 144
Its an outdated phone so why not add some wear and tear to match.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
33 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
286 comments
24 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Is Harlem World a Classic?
148 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
65 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
74 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Jayson Tatum’s stats for the month of December so far
54 comments
19 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
46 comments
24 hours ago