Sep 22 - Heineken Gives Its Bottle a Makeover

most viewed right now
NBA Old tweets from NBA players :jayhah:
73 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 Image(s) inside Ahhhh Larry Wilmore kept it 100 to the end, calls Obama "my nigga"
8 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Charlamagne With the Chess Move. Petty level:100 :dead:
95 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside You can use this site to type in your address and see how screwed you ..
44 comments
@wild'ish

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 09-22-2012, 06:38 PM         #1
6770 pageviews
69 comments

Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Sep 22 - Heineken Gives Its Bottle a Makeover

[pic - click to view]

Heineken NV HEIA.AE +1.95% is giving its green bottle a face-lift in the U.S., hoping it will help its flagship Dutch lager and one-time leading beer import stand tall again after years of market-share losses.

A slimmer green Heineken bottle with a longer neck is arriving this week in New York City bars and restaurants, ahead of a national rollout by the Amsterdam brewer in January. Heineken, the first foreign beer to reach U.S. shores after Prohibition ended in 1933, had long stuck with a squat green bottle.

The world's third-largest brewer by volume also increased the advertising budget of its namesake lager by roughly half in the U.S. last year, and is banking on a marketing lift this fall from James Bond, more known for ordering vodka martinis.

Welcome to the bottle wars. Anheuser-Busch InBev NV, ABI.BT +0.16% the leading brewer in the U.S., launched Bud Light Platinum earlier this year in a cobalt-blue bottle to try to stand out on crowded store shelves and in bars after a new Budweiser can last year sported large red bow ties.

No. 2 U.S. brewer MillerCoors LLC TAP -0.11% introduced a "punch top'' can with a second tab this year for Miller Lite, promising a smoother pour after earlier rolling out an aluminum pint bottle with a wider opening and resealable cap. Coors Light has won over customers in recent years with "cold-activated'' cans and bottles that turn blue after being chilled.

Heineken lost its long-standing title as the top-selling import beer in 1997 to Corona Extra, marketed by Grupo Modelo GMODELO.MX -0.03% SAB of Mexico. While Heineken remains the No. 2 import brand, U.S. shipments fell for a fourth straight year in 2011, pushing its share of the beer market by volume below 2%, according to Beer Marketer's Insights, a data service. Shipments of the flagship lager have risen this year, but not as fast as many rivals.

AB InBev has widened distribution of Belgium's Stella Artois and its German Beck's brand, while MillerCoors stocks grocery stores with beers such as Italy's Peroni and the Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell. Hundreds of small-batch, domestic "craft'' brewers with bold-tasting brews also have swiped drinkers from established brands.

The new Heineken bottle is 1.25 inches taller than the old bottle, with a longer, narrower neck the brewer believes makes it look more modern. A thumb groove is designed to improve the grip and encourages drinkers to hold the bottle lower down, keeping the beer colder. A strong shoulder aims to convey an air of "masculinity and pride,'' according to Heineken.

"As we are trying to bring a new generation into the brand, we feel this is a tangible way of revitalizing it,'' said Dolf van den Brink, the 39-year-old president of Heineken USA. The beer itself won't change, he added. "Since 1873 we've never touched the recipe.''

The new bottle scored well in consumer tests across roughly a dozen U.S. cities, including among younger so-called Millenials, a key recruitment target, he said. The company began rolling out its new bottle in other countries last year.

Some industry trackers question whether Heineken has a long-term growth recipe for a brand that is still more expensive than most beers but is no longer exotic. In recent years, after sticking to lager, many U.S. drinkers have experimented with less-known brews such as India Pale Ales, fruit-infused wheat beers and oatmeal stouts.

"If they take pricing or reduce investments, what will happen to that brand?" said David Belaunde, a beer analyst at Morgan Stanley.

Heineken is betting new recruits will come back for more. An outdoor Heineken ad in major cities this year touts the company's beer as "imported, which is rare for an import,'' in a jab at rivals such as AB InBev, which began brewing Beck's in St. Louis this year. A handful of other foreign brands, including Japan's Kirin, Australia's Foster's and Jamaica's Red Stripe, also have moved production to the U.S. in recent years.

Heineken also is hoping to create buzz with a global marketing campaign tied to "Skyfall," the latest James Bond film, being released in November. A new television ad starring Daniel Craig, the actor who plays James Bond, will begin airing in the U.S. and elsewhere this week. "Skyfall" also will feature a scene in which Mr. Bond drinks a Heineken, although he also finds time for his trademark martini that is shaken, not stirred, according to the film's producers.

[pic - click to view]

http://online.wsj.com/art .. 505512938.html

top in section
750 comments
top in sports
top in section
97 comments
top in hiphop
top in section
58 comments
top in wild'ish

4 years ago '06        #2
"SS" 16 heat pts16
space
space
$9,122 | Props total: 274 274
why fu*k wit a good thing

4 years ago '04        #3
deziking 54 heat pts54
space
space
$16,597 | Props total: 178 178
Yea long necks looks better the othet looks midget. I like my water chilled at 20 degrees goes down like water. Drooool

4 years ago '06        #4
Special Edd 130 heat pts130
space
space
$20,875 | Props total: 460 460
why change it? well i dont drink beer but whatever

4 years ago '08        #5
foestacks 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$5,086 | Props total: 5 5
Marketing

4 years ago '04        #6
Barcode 7 heat pts
space
space
$3,116 | Props total: 4 4
Is a bottle change really gonna change peoples minds?
Ima miss the short necks.

4 years ago '11        #7
darealvelle 86 heat pts86
space
space
$6,009 | Props total: 197 197
still its gonna taste skunky with that green bottle.

4 years ago '09        #8
Jet Jagu4r 15 heat pts15
space
space
$2,137 | Props total: 9 9
I like they currents ones better.. actually a lot I used to think they were better cause they werre different.

09-23-2012, 04:22 PM         #9
Throbbin' Thicke 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Is it gonna get me drunker?

4 years ago '12        #10
BaconGod 8 heat pts
space
space
$3,858 | Props total: 59 59
 Hare Krishna said:
LONGER HANDLE FOR BAR f!ghtS

4 years ago '06        #11
MyStYlEaRt 
space
space
$3,498 | Props total: 41 41
I hate when companies have great products and decide to change it. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

4 years ago '09        #12
jasperfect 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,511 | Props total: 1 1
 "SS" said:
why fu*k wit a good thing
You would've looked smarter if you put a funny didn't read gif.

4 years ago '09        #13
jasperfect 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,511 | Props total: 1 1
I haven't had Corona in a minute. Mostly my Hispanic friends drink it I never realized how popular it was. I think Heineken would be better of making some new brews instead of a new bottle shape.

4 years ago '11        #14
GangGreen227 42 heat pts42
space
space
$2,717 | Props total: 5 5
 MyStYlEaRt said:
I hate when companies have great products and decide to change it. If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!
i guess its broken cuz corona is blowing them out the water
didnt even knew corona was so popular

09-23-2012, 06:02 PM         #15
KingoBling 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Pacifico > Corona

Stella Artois > Heineken

i bet InBev spent millions for some marketing company to get hammered of heine's, and then come up with a "new bottle design.

did they ever think that people

a> dont like them because they bought budweiser

2. dont wanna spend 4-5 bucks more a 6 pack in a recession.

4 years ago '05        #16
MyZ28 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,754 | Props total: 59 59
Bud Light Platinum.... FTW

09-23-2012, 06:52 PM         #17
lifeundthescope 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I hate Heineken

4 years ago '06        #18
imthatinfamous 34 heat pts34
space
space
$6,282 | Props total: 130 130
i like my beer bottles like i like my women....long neck

4 years ago '10        #19
Ambassador 444 heat pts444
space
space
space
$18,648 | Props total: 1 1
I like the current ones

4 years ago '04        #20
Bossalinie 
space
space
$4,737 | Props total: 3 3
heineken always coming out with a new gimmick every couple years
that sh*t is garbage and overpriced anyway

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Wayne really dgaf
136 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Kylie Jenner shows her fat monkey in racy selfie
46 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Why Luxury Cars Are Expensive To Fix
46 comments
24 hours ago
@rides
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Do Indian women have an ass?
103 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Marvel Universe - Is It About To Get BIGGER?
74 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Apr 29 - This Cold-Blooded 11-Year-Old Shot a Burglar Then Mocked Him o..
116 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Drake finally speaks on Tory Lanez beef
90 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Apr 28 - 17 y.o Black student arrested for sexting 16 y.o White girl.
75 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy