Steve Smith rips Cam Newton

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
27 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
176 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
77 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
87 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #1
7853 pageviews
96 comments

PTC 138 heat pts138
space
space
space
$9,068 | Props total: 1551 1551

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Carolina Panthers receiver Steve Smith says he "lit into" Cam Newton about his actions on the sideline when the young quarterback was replaced late in the fourth quarter of Thursday night's 36-7 blowout loss to the New York Giants.

Smith said he was upset when Newton sat sulking on the bench instead of getting up to watch backup Derek Anderson and trying to learn from his own mistakes.

I lit into him because I thought it was an opportunity for him to see and understand what was going on. This is more than about playing football. It's about becoming a man and understanding what this is.

-- Steve Smith, on Cam Newton's actions late in Thursday's game

As a team captain and the elder statesman of the team, Smith felt something needed to be said to the 23-year old Newton about the importance of remaining positive and better handling adversity.

"I don't want to be passive and not do it because if I don't do it, who will?" Smith said. "The same way with my son, I can't expect somebody else (to do that). So yeah, I lit into him because I thought it was an opportunity for him to see and understand what was going on. This is more than about playing football. It's about becoming a man and understanding what this is."

Newton declined comment through the team's public relations staff. The team said he isn't speaking until next Wednesday.

Players have the weekend off.

Coach Ron Rivera lifted Newton in the fourth quarter against the Giants after his third interception with Carolina trailing by 26 points. Rivera said he took out Newton because the game was out of hand.

After Newton was replaced by Anderson, Smith spoke to Newton on the bench because he felt he was sulking over the impending loss.

"I said, 'Get up and learn from this,'" Smith said. "I watched DA (Anderson) and Jimmy (Clausen) observe from the sidelines the last 20-something games and try to get mental reps. This is an opportunity for you to get some mental reps. Don't just sit on the bench and sulk. I know you feel bad, but that isn't going to help us."

It's the second straight year teammates have questioned Newton's demeanor on the sideline.

Last year offensive linemen Ryan Kalil and Jordan Gross both spoke to Newton in private about the importance of not getting down during a game.

"It's about not missing an opportunity to give him some advice that maybe I didn't listen to (when I was young) or maybe nobody told me," said the 32-year-old Smith.

Smith said former Panthers wide receiver Ricky Proehl "did it to me a few times and maybe he was more subtle than I was. But you know what, if I sit back and say, 'Oh look at Cam over there sulking,' or 'look at this, or look at that' that's not going to do anything. I told him this is an opportunity for you to learn from this."

Rivera said he'll probably have a talk with Newton but wouldn't discuss what the conversation will be about.

Rivera knows Newton is an emotional player and said there's a "fine line" to walk between maintaining his burning desire to win and keeping his emotions in check.

"You look at things like, well, if something positive happens do you want to hide the emotions? And if something negative happens do we want to hide the emotions?" Rivera said.

Gross, a longtime teammate of Smith's at Utah and with the Panthers, said he doesn't have a problem with Newton's demeanor. And he didn't think anything needed to be said about Newton outside of the locker room.

"Cam wears his heart on his sleeve and you know how he's feeling based on his actions," Gross said. "He wants to win as much as anybody, and when we don't he takes it to heart. I would like any of my teammates, if they're upset about things, to talk it out with us in the locker room, and know that we're all in it together."

Smith knows he might take some criticism for calling out Newton, but doesn't care. Smith said he hopes the lesson will pay off for Newton down the road when he's retired and the quarterback is setting NFL records.

"If this is something wrong for saying that, well, I'd rather be wrong and one day during his long career he goes, 'Ah, I hated to hear that, but maybe that's what Smitty was talking about,'" Smith said.

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Carolin Panthers wide Steve Smith unhappy with quarterback Cam Newton - ESPN

96 comments for "Steve Smith rips Cam Newton"

5 years ago '09        #2
JewsusChrist 211 heat pts211
space
space
space
$17,406 | Props total: 74 74
he didnt rip him u idiot can u even read? was giving him advice
 5 years ago '10        #3
USC 79 heat pts79
space
space
$21,523 | Props total: 9898 9898
Double S dropping that knowledge

Get ya big a.ss up and watch the game nicca
 5 years ago '10        #4
SwooshWonder 13 heat pts13
space
space
$25,317 | Props total: 8298 8298
for steve smith spitting that real
 5 years ago '11        #5
X_WunderKind_X 909 heat pts909
space
space
$42,257 | Props total: 17710 17710
That body language yo....Steve wanna win as much as cam do...but he knows you gotta persevere...Hopefully Cam takes it the right way
 5 years ago '10        #6
Blkboipurp 
space
space
$15,374 | Props total: 9645 9645
Thats my favorite WR
 5 years ago '09        #7
TriniSoldier 64 heat pts64
space
space
$49,102 | Props total: 22560 22560
"the same way with my son"

5 years ago '11        #8
Kingpin 313 104 heat pts104
space
space
space
$19,222 | Props total: 2617 2617
Steve acting like cam his son telling him what being a man is
 5 years ago '06        #9
datnolaboy 8 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,668 | Props total: 1371 1371
what's crazy is this dude Cam calls old teammates still at Auburn and tells them the same thing. He needs to follow his own advice.
 5 years ago '05        #10
Micheal C. Will 18 heat pts18
space
space
$28,230 | Props total: 15788 15788

[pic - click to view]

I hope he don't want to end up like this guy....
 5 years ago '06        #11
RAZAH CUTS 5840 heat pts5840
space
space
$54,077 | Props total: 18895 18895
Smith needs to chill... period.

He isn't a coach, he's a teammate..

Newton wasn't in his grill criticizing his dumbass after he got into that scuffle f!ght with kiwanuka or whoever during the actual game..

he's on his way out though, and doing sh*t like this, acting like a prick and you king sh*t, when you're really just an aging veteran on a bad team isn't gonna get you locker room points..

he has a history of not really knowing how to be a good teammate or how to lead tho.. I remember a couple of training camps ago when he broke a rookies nose for no fu*king reason...

he's just another short guy with a Napoleon complex... Cam shouldn't worry bout him.
Lurker gave props

5 years ago '11        #12
maxnn 129 heat pts129
space
space
$12,180 | Props total: 1034 1034
Cam Newton and Jay Cutler are the two QBs that just come off as unlikable.
 09-21-2012, 03:25 PM         #13
Braz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Stevie better watch out...that man is an entertainer and an icon
 5 years ago '04        #14
killadre 229 heat pts229
space
space
$20,504 | Props total: 16332 16332
 maxnn said:

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '12        #15
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,768 | Props total: 22155 22155
Only person I respect on that team
 5 years ago '11        #16
PTC 138 heat pts138 OP
space
space
space
$9,068 | Props total: 1551 1551
 AzulineAzure said:
he didnt rip him u idiot can u even read? was giving him advice

Try clicking on the link and looking at the title...

My n*gga asking me if I can read when I bolded all the important quotes

Why so angry tho?

Looks like someone got butt a.ss hurt cuz his idol got yelled at like he did by his dad that touched him in the b00ty hole when he was younger.

09-21-2012, 03:28 PM         #17
Braz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 maxnn said:
Those are the only 2 that come to mind?

5 years ago '10        #18
Infamous2o1x 23 heat pts23
space
space
$12,245 | Props total: 103 103
Giants up by over 20 what is Eli doing? studying for the next drive and working with the OC and Carr...

camera shows Cam sitting there sulking during the same situation...
 5 years ago '11        #19
maxnn 129 heat pts129
space
space
$12,180 | Props total: 1034 1034
 brazidee said:
Those are the only 2 that come to mind?

What other QB are you talking about?

My mind is blank
 09-21-2012, 03:33 PM         #20
Braz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 maxnn said:
What other QB are you talking about?

My mind is blank
Home      

most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
102 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
91 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
86 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
188 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New Pictures Of DG Yola In Jail
70 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
joie chavis
32 comments
1 day ago