Ex-Def Jam Rapper Airs Out Label: "Most Of The Things They Wanted Me To Do Were Gay"

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
194 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
44 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
49 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside The 10 Worst Jay-Z Songs Of All Time
129 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 09-10-2012, 04:48 PM         #41
dOwnByLaw310 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Where is he from? I never heard of this guy
 5 years ago '10        #42
M2CEO 29 heat pts29
space
space
space
$4,251 | Props total: 2639 2639
 KeithClark said:
He didn't come into the game with a hit...you can't expect to stay without one. - Keith Clark
How did he get his deal if he didnt have a hit? isnt that what major labels look for?
 5 years ago '10        #43
ARosary 47 heat pts47
space
space
$9,762 | Props total: 2856 2856
& you would think all the people & money some of these labels have, would get a clue to STOP trying follow a damn formula. Its not a formula if its not solving problems. A lot (disregard to the sheep solely mainstream listeners) of consumers have voiced their dislike over these artist making 'commercial/pop' songs, even if it is to 'grow' their fanbase. Thats where they lose more than win... they need to start pleasing the core-fan bases. Them 'commercial/pop' fans is as fickle as hits, why are you trying to please them?? (& no the answer/solution is not for More Business). Why wont a label take the initiative to say fu*k the formula, we going with actually skillset & ORIGINALITY (which seems like a foreign word these days in entertainment) ...fu*ka major
 09-10-2012, 05:05 PM         #44
ballin1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TYT said:

this the single that def jam wasnt feelin

that video chick....
def jam isnt the only one

tybg for the mute button
 09-10-2012, 05:06 PM         #45
Ednyce 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
never heard of him, but def not surprised at what hes saying. the industry is ruined, will never be the same. its not about the music anymore its about the money.
 09-10-2012, 05:06 PM         #46
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
never heard of him but all those quotes sounded real as fu*k so I'll be checking for him.
 5 years ago '04        #47
Rillest 5 heat pts
space
space
$457 | Props total: 63 63
 marcusaka50 said:
pretty much if you can't sell your own sound then they are going to make you a carbon copy and if you don't sell as a carbon copy then you are fired.

Indie= 100% control.

Major= not

its simple.
True...Each situation do have its pros and cons though. On majors they give you everything you need, just do your thing, make numbers, pay em back and you're straight (and in most cases do a bit of selling out). Indies, you gotta do all that work yourself, meaning put up your own bread to do everything and its just harder all around to get out there.

Indies, its possible to retain your true sound and creative control though like you said. But it depends on the reasons that particular artist got into the game for.

Most of the popular longevity artists at some point had to sell out to some degree though, in order to keep on being relative within the game.
 5 years ago '10        #48
BBhiphop 523 heat pts523
space
space
$17,052 | Props total: 20262 20262
how is this airing out a label btw...is there still anyone left in 2012 that doesn't know that this is exactly what happens with all artists on big labels, at least if they haven't got a goodworking gimmick themselves?

this dude is stupid for signing the deal...shouldn't even complain afterwards
 5 years ago '04        #49
zhiggeman 4 heat pts
space
space
$15,080 | Props total: 3875 3875
i think he really means they had him doing some gay sh*t.. russell was and is still known for having them gay getaways in the hamptons with your favorite rappers.. swinger parties with nothing but dudes
 09-10-2012, 05:24 PM         #50
GOD999 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I ain't heard of that, but n*ggaz at this day and age need to understand it ain't what YOU want it's what THEY want at the end of the day. Exactly what happened with Joe Budden @ Def Jam Pt. 2

Some rappers can successfully cover all/most audiances and still put out that raw that fans know that rapper for. Some n*ggaz just better off doing what they do and should stay indie longer until you really what you're up against when making the major transaction.
 5 years ago '05        #51
Martel 18 heat pts18
space
space
$14,814 | Props total: 2614 2614
 TYT said:

that video chick....
it all makes sense.
 5 years ago '06        #52
marcusaka50 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$29,619 | Props total: 8548 8548
 Rillest said:
True...Each situation do have its pros and cons though. On majors they give you everything you need, just do your thing, make numbers, pay em back and you're straight (and in most cases do a bit of selling out). Indies, you gotta do all that work yourself, meaning put up your own bread to do everything and its just harder all around to get out there.

Indies, its possible to retain your true sound and creative control though like you said. But it depends on the reasons that particular artist got into the game for.

Most of the popular longevity artists at some point had to sell out to some degree though, in order to keep on being relative within the game.
true major or indie its a gamble either way. But the way things are today for most part rappers you have to have a some fan base before you can even think about major.

its better for artist to go indie first and if they somehow do get a major at least if they flop major they still have some fan base to fall back on.
 5 years ago '10        #53
TheGift 1 heat pts
space
space
$9,836 | Props total: 8172 8172
 SM said:

West Coast rap newcomer Wax has opened up on Def Jam Recordings recently releasing him after signing a contract last year and his internal problems with the iconic label.

According to Wax, his creative freedom got compromised while at the Def Jam empire.

"I'd been signed to them for a while, and I've been working on songs. They really wanted me to make a radio single. You know, I gave them songs I thought were singles, but the last batch of songs, they didn't believe in. So they dropped me," he explained in an interview. "They were putting me in with songwriters that were known to make hits. The songs I was making with these people was stuff they would write for some 16-year-old pop star kid. Most of the things they wanted me to do were gay. I just wasn't into it." (LA Weekly)

He also stressed the music industry's reliance on copying a pop formula.

"When was the last time you paid for an album? It's getting harder and harder to make money. You don't need a major label if you're not Rihanna or Lady Gaga. You can get the word out yourself," Wax added. "The labels really need you to be a huge pop success, and they just follow the formula from the last hit. Everyone is operating off fear. Fear of being fired because something failed. So they go the safe route. They tried a song of mine, and it didn't work. So, it's not totally their fault. It's my fault, too." (LA Weekly)

Last month, Wax released a video revealing his disassociation from Def Jam.

"After a while, everything you do is so put under a microscope," Wax explained. "All the songs that you make are put under a microscope by 20 people. The point is, after a while, you second-guess yourself to the point where you don't trust your own instinct anymore. Your instinct is really what gets you to that place in the first place." (Wax & Her Balt)

Back in March 2011, the rapper made headlines after inking his major deal.

Wax has been signed to Def Jam in what has been described as a joint venture between Wax's label imprint, Scrublife and the legendary Hip Hop label, Def Jam which will allow him release his debut album via "Scrublife/Def Jam". To coincide with the announcement, Wax also released his long-awaited DJ Skee-presented Scrublife mixtape to serve as a precursor to his major label debut album. Wax first came on my radar in 2008 via his collaborative album with Virginia-based producer EOM titled Liquid and Courage

That's some real sh*t and thats why the music industry is so fu*kin stale and plummeting at a fast rate. Theres no more risk takers. Once the labels here's some sh*t one n*gga makes thats a hit, they expect the next n*gga to follow that formula also. That sh*t iz corny. I was fu*kin with an A&R at a label(Will not mention the label) and everything that came out his mouth was. I need a drake record or can u get somebody to sing like bruno mars on the hook? it'll make it catchy and poppy!Huh? fu*k iz u talkin bout? do i look like a pop artists to u n*gga? I understand U wanna make money and sh*t but everybody cant sound like drake or have dis n*gga or dat n igga on a hook. Played this n*gga joints that if it had the right push, it would be certified bangers. U cant make hip hop pop.Well u can but it comes off corny. Sometimes if you take a chance and develop street bangas, it can turn into mainstream success. BMF wasnt at all a pop record but it crossed over because it was catchy.Also the streets fu*ked with it so much that, the mainstream consumers had to fu*k with it. Also another formula is, putting out singles that relate to your movement. U cant put out a street single one moment then a pop single right after. It throws the consumer the fu*k off. Not saying that formula cant work for nobody but, certain artist dont adapt well to it. We need more risk takers in the music industry that will push artists for what they are and not what corporate america wants them to be. Not to sound racists but We need to take our music back into our own hands and stop letting the White ceo's behind the big corporations dictate to us was hot and whats not. Mafu*kas be liking bruce springsteen music and got the nerve to tell me what's hot and whats not? fu*koutta here. And, yea im mad because another talented artists bites the dust because of some f*ggot in a suit!

Last edited by TheGift; 09-10-2012 at 05:30 PM..
 5 years ago '10        #54
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$49,864 | Props total: 13648 13648

Pimp C been spoke on the f*ggotry thats rampant and "cool" in the rap game
 5 years ago '05        #55
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$36,986 | Props total: 1312 1312

[video - click to view]

Thes.lut in this video is s3xy as fu*k damn
 5 years ago '10        #56
TheGift 1 heat pts
space
space
$9,836 | Props total: 8172 8172
 TYT said:

that video chick....

On second thought, Maybe def jam was right dropping this n*gga!
 5 years ago '09        #57
minnesota763 6 heat pts
space
space
$1,752 | Props total: 8 8
 joblakthe1 said:
On second thought, Maybe def jam was right dropping this n*gga!
say what you want, he puts out some chill a.ss joints. year old, but it never gets old.

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '10        #58
BiZz 67 heat pts67
space
space
$5,444 | Props total: 6 6

[video - click to view]

People sleep on Wax, This song alone has more meaning than anything the whole mainstream has put out in the last 5 years.
 09-10-2012, 05:59 PM         #59
PLATAOPLOMO 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ballin1 said:
hes white so he means gay as in he doesnt like or agree with it, not gay as in a night of clubbing with p diddy
BAHAHAHA (lol) YEAH ... GAY as in LAME .. NOT GAY as in 2 DUDES doing it DOGGYSTYLE so they can BOTH watch THE LIFETIME MOVIE of the WEEK @ the SAME TIME

P.S anyone got a LINK or RECOMMENDATIONS to some GOOD SONGS or MIXTAPES by WAX ?? I NEVER heard of DUDE but I wanna check him out ... PAUSE ...
 5 years ago '06        #60
RAZAH CUTS 5835 heat pts5835
space
space
$54,024 | Props total: 18792 18792
this is no surprise whatsoever tho...

all major labels are trying to get up on that Bieber money, that Minaj fame... they want their artists on the radio b/c that equals notoriety and endorsements as well as a national profile if the hit is big enough...

it's always been this way.. except now muthafu*kas are hungrier to turn everything into a pre-packaged, pop music piece of sh*t..

I've never heard of this cat Wax, but if he shoulda been known Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons' Def Jam is long gone, hell, it ain't even the Def Jam it was under Lyor Cohen or L.A. Reid's incompetent a.ss...
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
14 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
13 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
53 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Rick Rossí Longtime Manager Black Bo Has Died
47 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
33 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
70 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
63 comments
2 days ago
@gear
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy