Ex-Def Jam Rapper Airs Out Label: "Most Of The Things They Wanted Me To Do Were Gay"

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
64 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
18 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
84 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA Read Westbrooks lips to Embiid
68 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '06        #1
12393 pageviews
136 comments

SM 38199 heat pts38199
space
space
$128,021 | Props total: 67738 67738
Ex-Def Jam Rapper Airs Out Label: "Most Of The Things They Wanted Me To Do Were Gay"

West Coast rap newcomer Wax has opened up on Def Jam Recordings recently releasing him after signing a contract last year and his internal problems with the iconic label.

According to Wax, his creative freedom got compromised while at the Def Jam empire.

"I'd been signed to them for a while, and I've been working on songs. They really wanted me to make a radio single. You know, I gave them songs I thought were singles, but the last batch of songs, they didn't believe in. So they dropped me," he explained in an interview. "They were putting me in with songwriters that were known to make hits. The songs I was making with these people was stuff they would write for some 16-year-old pop star kid. Most of the things they wanted me to do were gay. I just wasn't into it." (LA Weekly)

He also stressed the music industry's reliance on copying a pop formula.

"When was the last time you paid for an album? It's getting harder and harder to make money. You don't need a major label if you're not Rihanna or Lady Gaga. You can get the word out yourself," Wax added. "The labels really need you to be a huge pop success, and they just follow the formula from the last hit. Everyone is operating off fear. Fear of being fired because something failed. So they go the safe route. They tried a song of mine, and it didn't work. So, it's not totally their fault. It's my fault, too." (LA Weekly)

Last month, Wax released a video revealing his disassociation from Def Jam.

"After a while, everything you do is so put under a microscope," Wax explained. "All the songs that you make are put under a microscope by 20 people. The point is, after a while, you second-guess yourself to the point where you don't trust your own instinct anymore. Your instinct is really what gets you to that place in the first place." (Wax & Her Balt)

Back in March 2011, the rapper made headlines after inking his major deal.

Wax has been signed to Def Jam in what has been described as a joint venture between Wax's label imprint, Scrublife and the legendary Hip Hop label, Def Jam which will allow him release his debut album via "Scrublife/Def Jam". To coincide with the announcement, Wax also released his long-awaited DJ Skee-presented Scrublife mixtape to serve as a precursor to his major label debut album. Wax first came on my radar in 2008 via his collaborative album with Virginia-based producer EOM titled Liquid and Courage

[pic - click to view]

Ex-Def Jam Rapper Airs Out Label: "Most Of The Things They Wanted Me To Do Were Gay" | SOHH.COM

136 comments for "Ex-Def Jam Rapper Airs Out Label: "Most Of The Things They Wanted Me To Do Were Gay""

5 years ago '12        #2
SLiP 35 heat pts35
space
space
$4,013 | Props total: 1333 1333
Wax is dope, he should just stay underground.
 5 years ago '10        #3
Rebirth46 59 heat pts59
space
space
$3,998 | Props total: 987 987
I was just talking bout majors last night and how they get down I understand it thats why its best to go independent cause most majors just living off their name..time to make your own name without their help
 5 years ago '10        #4
Delbert Mengel 28 heat pts28
space
space
$20,552 | Props total: 199 199
sounds like an immature use of the word "gay"
 5 years ago '07        #5
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,842 | Props total: 4829 4829
 Delbert Mengel said:
word.but u know somebody will run wit it
 5 years ago '11        #6
PotheadFocker 169 heat pts169
space
space
$33,337 | Props total: 8506 8506
 Delbert Mengel said:
Like ZOMG that was sooooooo gay

I'm expecting Wanda Sykes to come out and yell at this muh fu*ka for dropping the "g-bomb" on some NBA PSA bullsh*t
 09-10-2012, 01:40 PM         #7
ballin1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
hes white so he means gay as in he doesnt like or agree with it, not gay as in a night of clubbing with p diddy
 5 years ago '10        #8
SwooshWonder 13 heat pts13
space
space
$25,317 | Props total: 8298 8298
People really still arguing over the use of he word "gay"? Really ain't that serious
 5 years ago '11        #9
PotheadFocker 169 heat pts169
space
space
$33,337 | Props total: 8506 8506
 sm00vb0iiw0nder said:
People really still arguing over the use of he word "gay"? Really ain't that serious
^ something a gay would say
 5 years ago '10        #10
SwooshWonder 13 heat pts13
space
space
$25,317 | Props total: 8298 8298
 PotheadFocker said:
^ something a gay would say
You just made zero sense bi*ch n*gga
 5 years ago '12        #11
Ricky Retardo 43 heat pts43
space
space
$5,984 | Props total: 13779 13779
 sm00vb0iiw0nder said:
it really is, its like using your birth name to describe something negative or something most would find joy in being used to spread negativity. Gay should not be used to describe negativity, especially since the dictionary definition means happy, the total opposite.
 09-10-2012, 02:15 PM         #12
FASTLIFE 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
hes about to get blackballed or k!lled
 5 years ago '12        #13
Melle 52 heat pts52
space
space
$3,926 | Props total: 2667 2667
 ballin1 said:
hes white so he means gay as in he doesnt like or agree with it, not gay as in a night of clubbing with p diddy

damn near every thread has race war potential!!!

Wax isn't just white, he mixed with other races.... couple yrs back i had a convo with him, real chill & talented guy
 5 years ago '08        #14
supervillain 244 heat pts244
space
space
$13,157 | Props total: 8 8
the immaturity of bx strikes again...you cant get through the first page without motherfu*kers derailing it, on some dumb sh*t...you motherfu*kers make me sick...lets talk about the issue at hand, how def jam is treating their ppl, not the context of a fu*kin word...eventhough his words were taken out of context..
 5 years ago '11        #15
KeithClark 10 heat pts10
space
space
$4,458 | Props total: 122 122
He didn't come into the game with a hit...you can't expect to stay without one. - Keith Clark
 5 years ago '12        #16
OrangeSoda 98 heat pts98
space
space
space
$14,611 | Props total: 5639 5639
if it dont sell then u are of no value to the label.
 5 years ago '12        #17
noverum 
space
space
$2,876 | Props total: 1654 1654
This interview is a great insight into the degradation of the music industry.

supervillain said:
the immaturity of bx strikes again...you cant get through the first page without motherfu*kers derailing it, on some dumb sh*t...you motherfu*kers make me sick...lets talk about the issue at hand, how def jam is treating their ppl, not the context of a fu*kin word...eventhough his words were taken out of context..
Don't blame Boxden. The thread is being derailed by the madness of political correctness; trigger words like 'gay' take precedence ahead of entire paragraphs of valuable knowledge and information.
 5 years ago '06        #18
marcusaka50 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$29,690 | Props total: 8650 8650
 grapedrank said:
if it dont sell then u are of no value to the label.
pretty much if you can't sell your own sound then they are going to make you a carbon copy and if you don't sell as a carbon copy then you are fired.

Indie= 100% control.

Major= not

its simple.
 09-10-2012, 03:04 PM         #19
Minister 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KeithClark said:
He didn't come into the game with a hit...you can't expect to stay without one. - Keith Clark
keith fart got his lube ready
 5 years ago '10        #20
BiZz 67 heat pts67
space
space
$5,444 | Props total: 6 6
They probably tried to get him to do actual gay sh*t like kiss Justin Bieber for a album cover.
Wax is dope, deal or not.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
112 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
139 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
167 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
130 comments
2 days ago