Aug 29 - Bill Nye The Science Guy Rips On American's Who Teach Creationism To Children

most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
96 comments
@games
most viewed right now
 NCAAF Georgia LB Natrez Patrick was arrested for this amount of weed
19 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
39 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 NBA KD is easily the best player in the NBA
27 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #1
8337 pageviews
260 comments

Andrefrbk 1067 heat pts1067
space
space
$22,888 | Props total: 5125 5125
Aug 29 - Bill Nye The Science Guy Rips On American's Who Teach Creationism To Children

[video - click to view]

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Scientist and children's television personality Bill Nye, in a newly released online video, panned biblical creationism and implored American parents who reject the scientific theory of evolution not to teach their beliefs to their youngsters.

"I say to the grownups, 'If you want to deny evolution and live in your world that's completely inconsistent with everything we've observed in the universe that's fine. But don't make your kids do it,'" said Nye, best known as host of the educational TV series "Bill Nye the Science Guy."

The video, titled "Creationism Is Not Appropriate for Children," was posted on Thursday by the online knowledge forum Big Think to YouTube and had netted more than 1.3 million views as of Monday.

In it Nye said widespread public doubt in the scientific concept of evolution -- which holds that human beings and all other forms of life developed from a process of random genetic mutation and natural selection -- would hinder a country long renowned for its innovation, intellectual capital and a general grasp of science.

"When you have a portion of the population that doesn't believe in (evolution) it holds everybody back, really," he said.

According to a Gallup poll that surveyed 1,012 adults in May, 46 percent of Americans can be described as creationists for believing that God created humans in their present form at some point within the last 10,000 years.

Education advocates have argued for decades over what children should be taught in public schools in regard to the formation of the universe, life and humans.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 1987 that requiring biblical creation to be taught in public schools alongside evolution was unconstitutional as a violation of the First Amendment separation between church and state.

In April, a law was passed that protects teachers in Tennessee who wish to critique or analyze what they view as the scientific weaknesses of evolution, making it the second state, after Louisiana, to enable teachers to more easily espouse alternatives to evolution in the classroom.

Nye said that while many adults may believe in creationism, children should be taught evolution in order to understand science. Absent a grasp of evolution, he said, "You're just not going to get the right answers." And he called evolution the "fundamental idea in all of life science, in all of biology."

Teaching children the building blocks of science is essential for the country's future, he added, saying, "We need them. We need scientifically literate voters and taxpayers for the future."

Nye's popular show, produced by Disney's Buena Vista Television, aired from September 1993 to June 1998 on PBS and was also syndicated to local television stations.

[pic - click to view]

Bill Nye, The Science Guy, Says Creationism Is Not Appropriate For Children (VIDEO)

Pure ether... How can you call yourself an educated person if you ignore evolution. All the physical evidence that debunks the bible's explanations. Yet for some reason modern nation like America STILL there are people that argue against evolution. WTF.

It pains me when people say "how can we come from monkeys..."

Sigh, i really just face palm. We dont come from monkey's they are ancestors. Simply means genetically we are very similar to the apes. We branched off, eventually forming what you see today, Homo sapiens. Human = hominoids

260 comments for "Aug 29 - Bill Nye The Science Guy Rips On American's Who Teach Creationism To Children"

5 years ago '04        #2
NaMeLeSs- 83 heat pts83
space
space
$9,302 | Props total: 3607 3607
wow he still looks exactly the same

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '05        #3
Andrefrbk 1067 heat pts1067 OP
space
space
 NaMeLeSs- said:
wow he still looks exactly the same

[pic - click to view]

Yeah i said the samething... Dude tapped into the fountain of youth. No wrinkles nuttin... Da fuk.
 5 years ago '06        #4
nightmare 429 heat pts429
space
space
$13,073 | Props total: 37 37

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '06        #5
space
space
@ some of the youtube comments, ppl really think this creationism sh*t is a science, this one jackass wrote this:

"Life on earth has adapted. However, there IS NO EVIDENCE that chemicals "somehow" came together to form that life. How life was created is still subject to debate. However, to believe that DNA, which is the basis of all life on earth, could have evolved all by itself is science "fiction" at its best! For Bill Nye to discount CREATIONISM (whatever that intelligence means) as a possible scenario proves he is not a true scientist. No book was ever printed by an explosion at the Printing Press."

5 years ago '05        #6
space
space
 nightmare said:
@ some of the youtube comments, ppl really think this creationism sh*t is a science, this one jackass wrote this:

"Life on earth has adapted. However, there IS NO EVIDENCE that chemicals "somehow" came together to form that life. How life was created is still subject to debate. However, to believe that DNA, which is the basis of all life on earth, could have evolved all by itself is science "fiction" at its best! For Bill Nye to discount CREATIONISM (whatever that intelligence means) as a possible scenario proves he is not a true scientist. No book was ever printed by an explosion at the Printing Press."

Oh my fuking fuk... These n*ggas have no fuking sense. They need to take a intro to evolution course in a community college or sumtin. PURE IGNORANCE!
 5 years ago '08        #7
tdnupe3 9 heat pts
space
space
$6,108 | Props total: 12390 12390
Believing that a "guy in the sky" snapped his fingers and created humans is just a silly notion. It sounds like a bedtime story to explain human origins to a small child.

On the other hand, to believe that life on earth came about as some cosmic accident is just as silly. Things are too perfect for there to not have been a "designer".

Just my $.02
 5 years ago '07        #8
pete jr 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,952 | Props total: 1144 1144
Can intelligent design and evolution and coexist?
 5 years ago '05        #9
space
space
 Jayg36 said:
I believe we were all created by God. I believe evolution is apart of God's design. So one can believe in creationism and evolution at the same damn time.

Why does it always have to be a case of, "I'm right and you're wrong?" The universe is so much more complicated than what one single theory can explain at this time. So why not tie in multiple theories that don't negate one another?
Well the bible said the earth was what? 6k years old? So god created all this in 6k years?

Evolution is a very very slow process, that takes MILLIONS of years. Species branching constantly to form different species. Humans are the same way, the bible did not mention any of our "Homo" ancestors from millions of years ago. How can god create man, and forget to mention their ancestors? Its impossible to believe evolution, god, and creationism. They conflict far too much.

Also, its unusual that religious text fails to mention the dinosaurs, and their extinction. Id imagine if god created man, he also created dinosaurs, yet some how prophets etc. never mentioned it.

There is no mention of the earliest form of life that would eventually become us.

The reason why living things exist on this earth is because billions of years ago a single cell organism was formed, the conditions were just right. Providing all the necessary elements for the components of life. Carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, phosphorous, and the many many others.

Simply put there is absolutely no WAY the bible can be factual. If you think the bible is factual then i feel very sorry for you and others my friend.

parting large bodies of water with their hands, healing people with touch, creating everything you see in 7 days? Really though? 4-5 billion years of evolution, created by a god in 7 days. Oh wow that's impressive. Shiit goes against proven laws of physics, and medical science. Adam and eve? REALLY REAAAAALY!? Absolutely no evidence of this.

Let there be light... Where are the dinosaurs that ruled the earth for a billion years? It would be helpful if god's prophets told us how they became extinct. So we can confirm or reject the big bang theory. That a meteor wiped them out.

To those religious people out there, plz do the world a favor drop it. Create your own guide lines on how you want to live your life, your own morals and standards. Dont let some book with tons of crap turn you into a ignorant fool.

Last edited by Andrefrbk; 08-29-2012 at 10:14 AM..
 5 years ago '08        #10
Ven0m 12 heat pts12
space
space
$3,948 | Props total: 979 979
 Jayg36 said:
I believe we were all created by God. I believe evolution is apart of God's design. So one can believe in creationism and evolution at the same damn time.

Why does it always have to be a case of, "I'm right and you're wrong?" The universe is so much more complicated than what one single theory can explain at this time. So why not tie in multiple theories that don't negate one another?
bravo
 5 years ago '05        #11
space
space
 tdnupe3 said:
Believing that a "guy in the sky" snapped his fingers and created humans is just a silly notion. It sounds like a bedtime story to explain human origins to a small child.

On the other hand, to believe that life on earth came about as some cosmic accident is just as silly. Things are too perfect for there to not have been a "designer".

Just my $.02
I dont believe in design, but i do believe in random occurrences.
Shiit happens, randomly. Throughout the universe shiit is constantly happening. Planets throughout the universe are being created, and destroyed. It may seem like its designed. But its more like chemistry. ALL OF THE ELEMENTS NEEDED FOR LIFE CAN BE FOUND THROUGHOUT SPACE.

Hundred's of billions maybe trillion of years gasses in space mixing, all the various elements... Eventually a planet like earth is created. Its a RANDOM occurrence, we are very lucky to have a planet with all the right elements to create life. Its like winning at the slot machine probably every 100000000000000 years lol.

The fact that its probably so rare to see a planet like ours, means that another "earth" would probably be very very far away, and we will probably never know. But a.ssuming humans and survive for another 2 billion years. Maybe, who knows. We might make contact, or another earth like planet might make contact.

Jayg36 said:
Your problem is that you're using the bible as your reference to God. I know you're from Western culture, but that doesn't mean that Christianity should be your only reference to God.

The Bible was written by a group of individuals who had very specific motives in mind. Don't allow their actions to cloud your judgement.

If you want to understand God, you first need to understand yourself. Then you can start to understand your environment. You don't need a book to tell you what to do, but the books do help if you need a point of reference.

AND PLEASE STOP CONFUSING RELIGION WITH THE EXISTENCE OF GOD. GOD EXISTED LONG BEFORE THE CONCEPT OF RELIGION BEGAN.
If there was a "God(s)" wouldn't everyone have a common notion that god exists? There is no evidence of god existing. If something is real, you cant deny its real. Because it is...

To think that there is some kind of "man, woman, entity" creating life, environments, and the universe is a little out there. No evidence of this.

If i said there is a possibility that that the universe is in a patri dish, and that we were created by these beings as an experiment. They added all the elements, built the universe, and they are watching over us, testing us. Would i sound crazy? I mean there is no proof of this, but would i be crazy to believe it? Why wouldn't you believe it?

Last edited by Andrefrbk; 08-29-2012 at 10:33 AM..
 5 years ago '05        #12
space
space
 Jayg36 said:
So what would be sufficient evidence for you?
evidence (ˈɛvɪdəns)

— n
1. ground for belief or disbelief; data on which to base proof or to establish truth or falsehood
2. a mark or sign that makes evident; indication: his pallor was evidence of ill health
3. law circumstantial evidence See also direct evidence matter produced before a court of law in an attempt to prove or disprove a point in issue, such as the statements of witnesses, documents, material objects, etc
4. turn queen's evidence , turn king's evidence , turn state's evidence (of an accomplice) to act as witness for the prosecution and testify against those a.ssociated with him in crime
5. in evidence on display; apparent; conspicuous: her new ring was in evidence

— vb
6. to make evident; show clearly
7. to give proof of or evidence for

My mom said to me, how can you not believe in god, "God talks to me..." I told her, sounds like evidence of a psychotic disorder. Its not uncommon to hear voices in your head, many people have this experience. Especially during near death, sickness, and other moments.

Schizophrenia... Comes to mind also.

Talking to god = talking to yourself in your head most likely.

Last edited by Andrefrbk; 08-29-2012 at 05:20 PM..
 5 years ago '10        #13
SickaMorStyle 402 heat pts402
space
space
$3,994 | Props total: 1 1
You all have to visit the knowledge corner more often
 5 years ago '06        #14
space
space
 Andrefrbk said:
Well the bible said the earth was what? 6k years old? So god created all this in 6k years?

Evolution is a very very slow process, that takes MILLIONS of years. Species branching constantly to form different species. Humans are the same way, the bible did not mention any of our "Homo" ancestors from millions of years ago. How can god create man, and forget to mention their ancestors? Its impossible to believe evolution, god, and creationism. They conflict far too much.

Also, its unusual that religious text fails to mention the dinosaurs, and their extinction. Id imagine if god created man, he also created dinosaurs, yet some how prophets etc. never mentioned it.

There is no mention of the earliest form of life that would eventually become us.

The reason why living things exist on this earth is because billions of years ago a single cell organism was formed, the conditions were just right. Providing all the necessary elements for the components of life. Carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, phosphorous, and the many many others.

Simply put there is absolutely no WAY the bible can be factual. If you think the bible is factual then i feel very sorry for you and others my friend.

parting large bodies of water with their hands, healing people with touch, creating everything you see in 7 days? Really though? 4-5 billion years of evolution, created by a god in 7 days. Oh wow that's impressive. Shiit goes against proven laws of physics, and medical science. Adam and eve? REALLY REAAAAALY!? Absolutely no evidence of this.

Let there be light... Where are the dinosaurs that ruled the earth for a billion years? It would be helpful if god's prophets told us how they became extinct. So we can confirm or reject the big bang theory. That a meteor wiped them out.

To those religious people out there, plz do the world a favor drop it. Create your own guide lines on how you want to live your life, your own morals and standards. Dont let some book with tons of crap turn you into a ignorant fool.

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '06        #15
space
space
 Andrefrbk said:
[B]evidence (ˈɛvɪdəns)

— n
1. ground for belief or disbelief; data on which to base proof or to establish truth or falsehood
2. a mark or sign that makes evident; indication: his pallor was evidence of ill health
3. law circumstantial evidence See also direct evidence matter produced before a court of law in an attempt to prove or disprove a point in issue, such as the statements of witnesses, documents, material objects, etc
4. turn queen's evidence , turn king's evidence , turn state's evidence (of an accomplice) to act as witness for the prosecution and testify against those a.ssociated with him in crime

— vb

My mom said to me, how can you not believe in god, "God talks to me..." I told her, sounds like evidence of a psychotic disorder. Its not uncommon to hear voices in your head, many people have this experience. Especially during near death, sickness, and other moments.

that last part is some huey freeman sh*t
 5 years ago '04        #16
GodsFavorite 101 heat pts101
space
space
space
$8,889 | Props total: 2949 2949

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '04        #17
getyagameup 24 heat pts24
space
space
$4,044 | Props total: 27 27
 nightmare said:

hope...it's the quintessential human delusion that is the source of our greatest strength and also our greatest weakness.

I read that and have NO IDEA what the fu*k this man is talking about.

i quoted that to say that religion preys on people's hopes and beliefs. people are quite ignorant if they believe words in a book over logic, reasoning and facts.

Jayg36 said:

i agree that someone of something of great power either made us a long time ago and we've just been here for a minute or that we have evolved from monkey some how. the whole concept of two people populating the world is horse sh*t.

Andrefrbk said:
I dont believe in design, but i do believe in random occurrences.
Shiit happens, randomly. Throughout the universe shiit is constantly happening. Planets throughout the universe are being created, and destroyed. It may seem like its designed. But its more like chemistry. ALL OF THE ELEMENTS NEEDED FOR LIFE CAN BE FOUND THROUGHOUT SPACE.

Hundred's of billions maybe trillion of years gasses in space mixing, all the various elements... Eventually a planet like earth is created. Its a RANDOM occurrence, we are very lucky to have a planet with all the right elements to create life. Its like winning at the slot machine probably every 100000000000000 years lol.

The fact that its probably so rare to see a planet like ours, means that another "earth" would probably be very very far away, and we will probably never know. But a.ssuming humans and survive for another 2 billion years. Maybe, who knows. We might make contact, or another earth like planet might make contact.

If there was a "God(s)" wouldn't everyone have a common notion that god exists? There is no evidence of god existing. If something is real, you cant deny its real. Because it is...

To think that there is some kind of "man, woman, entity" creating life, environments, and the universe is a little out there. No evidence of this.

If i said there is a possibility that that the universe is in a patri dish, and that we were created by these beings as an experiment. They added all the elements, built the universe, and they are watching over us, testing us. Would i sound crazy? I mean there is no proof of this, but would i be crazy to believe it? Why wouldn't you believe it?
even random occurrences have constants....especially in math, which is usually part of the equation. a lot of things "can't be explained"......for example, you can't see someone's "life force" or "qi" in them but that's how you know people are alive. when they are dead, that force is gone. you can't explain it except as a thing. medical science can't find it or define it, it just is, or it isn't. life, death. so like i stated earlier, i can't say where we came from initially however we didn't come from adam or eve and ur theory of all the particles of the universe creating a random occurrence called human beings is just as far fetched.

Andrefrbk said:

this is possible. you ever heard of Reiki?? You channel your Qi through your hands to give healing energy to another person. a lot of people don't believe it until they feel the energy and warmth from someone else. hey, i used to be just like you when i was younger. if i can't see it and touch it, it's not real. scientists themselves say that we only use 10% of our brains....and look at what we've been able to accomplish with that. the other 90% got have some off the wall sh*t in there. i don't believe everything i see and read and hear yet i don't doubt everything either.

Andrefrbk said:
evidence (ˈɛvɪdəns)

— n

— vb

n*gga, i hope your mom is on bx, see's this and slaps the bejesus outta you!!!!!!

hahahahahahaahhahahahahaahahahahahhahahahah

i fell the fu*k out when i read this....real sh*t. my mom come to me with that jesus sh*t but when you ask about the dinosaurs.........crickets.

now, this too might be possible. she might be more in tune with that other ninety percent. some sh*t doesn't have explanation and is so. try explaining "balance" to a kid. you can tell him 'how' to ride a bike till you grey in the face. he has to "get" balance for himself for him to be able to ride.

if she hear voices, ask her to listen out for the mega millions fairy!!!!!
 5 years ago '05        #18
TheInevitable24 12 heat pts12
space
space
$5,464 | Props total: 0 0
Evolution is just as improbable as religion
 5 years ago '10        #19
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
space
$27,749 | Props total: 16554 16554
 Jayg36 said:
I think it's possible, but you have to separate "organized" religion from the equation.

I think in the future as people seem to get smarter and science furthers itself, it's very possible that the the fairytale nature of organized religion will become it's own worse enemy.

I believe in God and Evolution. Organized religion makes me uncomfortable tho.

I just hate when you ask somebody who's big on religion about stuff like dinosaurs and they tell you some sh*t like

"The devil time traveled and planted fossils to place doubt in the mind of man and test our faith"..

You gotta just look at em like
 5 years ago '04        #20
Screwhead|m 194 heat pts194
space
space
$14,976 | Props total: 278 278
Can anyone prove God exists?

No.

Can anyone prove God (or a God) doesn't exist?

No.

Everyone needs to chill the hell out, and let people live their lives.
Home      

most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
85 comments
21 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
41 comments
19 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
21 comments
22 hours ago