Jay-Z Wanted His Ownership Percentage Of Nets Kept Under Wraps

most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
135 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Michael Blackson comes for Kevin Hart, t.i. Comments
133 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA CHARLES BARKELY JUST PUNCHED SHAQ AND RAN FOR HIS LIFE :mjlmao:
21 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 NBA LeBron James Covered His Mouth While Talking To Lonzo Ball After The Game ..
26 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-28-2012, 02:18 PM         #1
13974 pageviews
164 comments

s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jay-Z Wanted His Ownership Percentage Of Nets Kept Under Wraps

[pic - click to view]

by Kazeem Famuyide (@RealLifeKaz) August 28, 2012, 15:12pm

A few weeks back in the New York Times, a pretty revealing piece was released on Jay-Z that had to do with how well the rapper/mogul maximized his minimal investment in the Brooklyn Nets. Among the facts revealed was that the $1 million investment Jay-Z orginialy gave to the Nets amounts to just one-fifteenth of one percent of the franchise.

It was also revealed that someone at the NBA didn't think the Nets' black jerseys would look good on black people, and that the Barclays Center will have a Rocawear store, a 40/40 Club, and a champagne bar that sells his Armand de Brignac (Ace Of Spades, for you rappity rap guys).

Although the piece came out pretty glowing for the Carter Administration, it was revealed by David Halbfinger, the reporter of the story, that Jay-Z wanted absolutely nothing to do with the story. "I didn't pitch them about wanting to know how much he owned. It was clearly one of the questions I had but it was not like I was leading with my chin," said Halbfinger.

"I wasn't like, 'Hey, I'd really like to ask Jay-Z exactly what his partnership stake is and while you are at it can you tell me his address and phone number?' I would argue with you on the notion of whether it undercuts his right to brag. In a way, you could brag that you had a larger piece of the Nets or you could brag that you've turned so much less of a piece of the Nets into so much more in perception. The judo involved in image-making and promotion and perception is reality that he has achieved with such a little percentage is something more to brag about than just putting on a larger chunk of change or having a larger percentage."

As Halbfinger explains, Jay-Z invested $1 million and that was out of a $300 million purchase price. That's one-third of one percent. A percentage that was even lowered with Mikhail D. Prokhorov purchase of the Nets. It essentially squeezes down the 100 percent of all the other people into 20 percent. Don't know what you call that in the business world, but in hustling that's called making a dollar out of 15 cents.

[pic - click to view]

Jay-Z Wanted Ownership Percentage Of Nets Kept Under Wraps | Hip-Hop Wired

164 comments for "Jay-Z Wanted His Ownership Percentage Of Nets Kept Under Wraps"

08-28-2012, 02:24 PM         #2
deLeet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
the % was well known when he became an owner years ago..... Its been so long i guess, anything jay-z content sells
 08-28-2012, 02:26 PM         #3
s7venwords  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 GameTheory said:
Yeah right.

He knew damn well he didn't want to be exposed for flexing.

Dude is still winning though. That expose must have been a shot to his ego though.
Hell yeah it was a blow, owning one-fifteenth of one percent is not owning the team it's going in with a sh*t load of other people. He got caught as you said flexin' his minor investment. I laughed when I found out it was only one-fifteenth of one percent.
 08-28-2012, 02:34 PM         #4
J-Dogg  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hov is smart, though, he'll flip it and talk about making something out of nothing.......I thought it was always widely known that he only owned a small sliver of the Nets, though?
 08-28-2012, 02:41 PM         #5
s7venwords  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 J-Dogg said:
Hov is smart, though, he'll flip it and talk about making something out of nothing.......I thought it was always widely known that he only owned a small sliver of the Nets, though?
Of course it's smart to diversify your $. But he was talkin' like he owned the team.
 08-28-2012, 02:52 PM         #6
Dos-effect  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Regardless of his ownership he was the one who moved the team to Brooklyn.....his pecentage might be small but his influence is apparently priceless.
 5 years ago '07        #7
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,840 | Props total: 4823 4823
 s7venwords said:
Of course it's smart to diversify your $. But he was talkin' like he owned the team.
1 15 of a % is still a percent.he always was and will be a minority owner.and just investin that 1 mil,he will turn his profit much quicker bein that he has a 40/40,and a rocawear store in there.thats winnin big time in business
 08-28-2012, 03:04 PM         #8
the synthesis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Kanye thought Jay owned 50% and could drop Kim's ex from the team...

Jay mustve have been frontin for Ye to believe that
 08-28-2012, 03:05 PM         #9
Sam Rothstein  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 08-28-2012, 03:20 PM         #10
the synthesis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Flying Jesus said:
he's still the face of the nets .....while the russian guy handles the real business behind the scenes.

but he is an important factor in the grand scheme of things...i mean how many people are net fans now just because they think jay owns the team ?

and those brooklyn new eras and jerseys are gonna sell like hot cakes because of him.
Jay doing all the hardwork while the Russians get paid, he should get a 30% stake at least

White Manz World
 5 years ago '06        #11
Big Bear 20 heat pts20
space
space
$32,959 | Props total: 13581 13581
Nas..

is it tru he own rock the bells
 5 years ago '06        #12
Big Bear 20 heat pts20
space
space
SSorry but we know you can't have a jay z thread with out bringing up Nas name
 5 years ago '06        #13
Big Bear 20 heat pts20
space
space
 the synthesis said:
Kanye thought Jay owned 50% and could drop Kim's ex from the team...

Jay mustve have been frontin for Ye to believe that
I would think Mr.west knew
i think he didn't think the public knew
and he was just being funny with rap
 5 years ago '08        #14
JetsLost 18 heat pts18
space
space
$7,028 | Props total: 261 261
 the synthesis said:
Jay doing all the hardwork while the Russians get paid, he should get a 30% stake at least

White Manz World
Jesus Christ. You can't be that dumb.
 5 years ago '05        #15
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,242 | Props total: 9646 9646
This is BS. I've known for years how much he owns of the Nets and so did many other people...
 5 years ago '11        #16
XxHeAtMaKeRxX 30 heat pts30
space
space
$4,843 | Props total: 269 269
Lucky I ain't have Jay drop him from the team
 5 years ago '06        #17
Big Bear 20 heat pts20
space
space
 WCIB said:
This is BS. I've known for years how much he owns of the Nets and so did many other people...
I didn't and nobody i know didn't also.
we don't research things that doesn't matter. i didn't know till this article came out.

i would guess most people out of message boards didn't know this

indeed
 5 years ago '04        #18
bigjoshi2002 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$1,047 | Props total: 87 87
It sounds better to say he's part owner of the team instead of saying he's just a token black they use to promote the nba to the hip hop culture.
 5 years ago '04        #19
GarySanchize24 239 heat pts239
space
space
$55,720 | Props total: 13114 13114

the boxden nets fans have more say over the Nets than Jay
 08-28-2012, 03:59 PM         #20
tommyg  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 bigjoshi2002 said:
It sounds better to say he's part owner of the team instead of saying he's just a token black they use to promote the nba to the hip hop culture.
. Jay-z not even a small player though. He's a huge name with much influence to the masses. More so than any of the other owners. His stake might be pinched, but his influence is greater than the rest
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
61 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
24 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
51 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside The Backshots would be crazy
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
78 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Robert Griffin III, sets the record straight.
87 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
202 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
150 comments
23 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy