5/3/1 program vs stronglifts 5x5

most viewed right now
OT ESPN: The Worldwide Leader In Letting Deez Hoes Know W..
65 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside Breaking News: Everyday Struggle W Joe Budden & Akademiks Won't Be Back..
70 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
90 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside Details in Child Sex Complaint Against Rapper 6ix9ine Contradict His ..
274 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #1
21074 pageviews
27 comments

ajymerced 
space
space
space
$260 | Props total: 0 0
5/3/1 program vs stronglifts 5x5

Which program is better for strength training and making gains? 5/3/1 or Stronglifts 5x5?

27 comments for "5/3/1 program vs stronglifts 5x5"

5 years ago '06        #2
richardgil 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$831 | Props total: 87 87
if you are new, 5x5 IMO. once you start to plateau, jump to madcow.

by the way, you will get 1000 different responses, even though its only 2 options. good luck with whatever you decide on.
 5 years ago '11        #3
ajymerced  OP
space
space
space
Well I'm already doing 5/3/1. But I'm tryna decide if I should try something new like 5x5 or just stick with it.
 08-27-2012, 04:35 PM         #4
tech5c 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
How long have you been training for? What are your numbers like?
 5 years ago '11        #5
ajymerced  OP
space
space
space
 tech5c said:
How long have you been training for? What are your numbers like?
As of right now, squat is 275, bench is 215 , military press is 120. And i haven't been getting my deadlift form right so I'm starting off light with that(maybe gonna lift 185 to start with to learn the right form.) I've been on 5/3/1 for about 10 months
 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM         #6
tech5c 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ajymerced said:
As of right now, squat is 275, bench is 215 , military press is 120. And i haven't been getting my deadlift form right so I'm starting off light with that(maybe gonna lift 185 to start with to learn the right form.) I've been on 5/3/1 for about 10 months
Any prior training experience before 5/3/1?

Do a 5x5 or 3x3 or 3x5 beginners program and reap those beginner linear progression benefits.
 5 years ago '04        #7
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,116 | Props total: 597 597
SL 5x5 = 3 sessions / full body / squat every session

5/3/1 = 4 sessions / upper-lower / variation in a.ssistance work

Assuming you squat below parallel, spot doesn't help you on bench/ touch chest, and don't cheat/push presses for military I'd suggest setting your number 10% lower.
 5 years ago '08        #8
iPunish901 12 heat pts12
space
space
$13,358 | Props total: 272 272
not to hijack thread, but....

ive been doing 5x5, not to the T, but ive been doing it. for some reason last night i finally decided to actually stay with the time limits pertaining to waiting 90 seconds between sets and 3 minutes between exercises. seemed like my workout was wayyy longer and i was wasting time. ive been use to getting in and out. whats the best thing to do during those wait periods? stretch? or does waiting even matter?
 08-27-2012, 08:28 PM         #9
tech5c 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 iPunish901 said:
not to hijack thread, but....

ive been doing 5x5, not to the T, but ive been doing it. for some reason last night i finally decided to actually stay with the time limits pertaining to waiting 90 seconds between sets and 3 minutes between exercises. seemed like my workout was wayyy longer and i was wasting time. ive been use to getting in and out. whats the best thing to do during those wait periods? stretch? or does waiting even matter?
If you can complete the listed reps with a shorter rest time then do it.

Heavy weight + shorter rest = more growth
 5 years ago '11        #10
ajymerced  OP
space
space
space
 tech5c said:
Any prior training experience before 5/3/1?

Do a 5x5 or 3x3 or 3x5 beginners program and reap those beginner linear progression benefits.
Yeah about 2 years of Useless weightlifting(workout program was just awful). Does that count?
 5 years ago '11        #11
ajymerced  OP
space
space
space
 enetblazin4eva said:

Assuming you squat below parallel, spot doesn't help you on bench/ touch chest, and don't cheat/push presses for military I'd suggest setting your number 10% lower.
I wanted to do that, but you think it'd be okay to cut it down to lifting twice a week? I want to add a day just for ploys and I can't commit as much time in the gym when I get back to school
 5 years ago '06        #12
niceguy954 31 heat pts31
space
space
$5,371 | Props total: 135 135
5/3/1 till I die n*gga
 5 years ago '04        #13
bibbyboi 25 heat pts25
space
space
$11,222 | Props total: 2219 2219
 niceguy954 said:
5/3/1 till I die n*gga
I thought you were a crossfitter? Not dissing, just wondering if crossfit incorporates some 5/3/1 type of stuff.

Also as a side note i just started doing 5/3/1 today. Not sure what to think of it yet.
 5 years ago '11        #14
ajymerced  OP
space
space
space
 enetblazin4eva said:

I meant to say that do you think it would be okay to cut the lifting for bill starr 5x5 to twice a week and add in plyos from VJB for a workout day? My goal is to increease my vertical
 5 years ago '06        #15
niceguy954 31 heat pts31
space
space
$5,371 | Props total: 135 135
 bibbyboi said:
I thought you were a crossfitter? Not dissing, just wondering if crossfit incorporates some 5/3/1 type of stuff.

Also as a side note i just started doing 5/3/1 today. Not sure what to think of it yet.
yes we do 5/3/1 MWF (deadlift, over head press/bench, and squat) then we do our WODS. That why I can't understand why people think crossfitting is a joke..
 5 years ago '11        #16
ajymerced  OP
space
space
space
Can anyone answer my question
 5 years ago '04        #17
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,116 | Props total: 597 597
 ajymerced said:
I meant to say that do you think it would be okay to cut the lifting for bill starr 5x5 to twice a week and add in plyos from VJB for a workout day? My goal is to increease my vertical
Why don't you just follow VJB for both weights & plyos?

Another option for strength training:

Modification #2: I'm a busy guy and hitting the gym four times a week is tough. Any lower frequency ideas that still yield gains?

"I get this a lot, and I have a kick-ass answer. Move everything to two times a week and do the following:

Week 1:

Monday: Squats 5/3/1, leg press 5 x 10, stiff leg deads 5 x 10, abs

Thursday: Bench press 5/3/1, dumbbell press 5 x 10, dumbbell row 5 x 10, biceps curls (yes, curls).

Include three days of hard conditioning (hill sprints) on nonconsecutive days.

Week 2:

Monday: Deadlift 5/3/1, safety bar squat 5 x 10, good mornings 5 x 10, abs

Thursday: Overhead press 5/3/1, chin-ups 5 x 10, dips 5 x 10, biceps curls (no, the joke isn't on you, biceps curls).

Include three days of hard conditioning (hill sprints) on nonconsecutive days.

That's it.

I've advised a lot of busy guys to follow this routine and virtually all got bigger, stronger, and in better shape faster — and for longer — because there's so much less potential for burnout."

With the reduced frequency, Wendler says there's no need to deload, and each training cycle now goes six weeks instead of the usual four.
 5 years ago '05        #18
ArKane 17 heat pts17
space
space
$2,019 | Props total: 1036 1036
5x5

to answer the question, but it depends on you really, id give both a try, 6 months of each and see what you like best

i prefer 5x5 i get better gains
 5 years ago '11        #19
ajymerced  OP
space
space
space
 enetblazin4eva said:
Why don't you just follow VJB for both weights & plyos?

:
Because VJB doesn't include strength training for upper body
 5 years ago '11        #20
ajymerced  OP
space
space
space
Aite so I think ima tryout SL 5x5. But I really don't wanna start with the bar since I've had previous experience. What should I start with?
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Who is she!!
32 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ugly niggas watch ya step
95 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Throwback: Teen Gangbangers On Jenny Jones Show
63 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
21 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside T-Mobile about to save us from Comcast, Time Warner & AT&T
56 comments
1 day ago
@tech
most viewed right now
If it bleeds, you can now kill it in Ghost Recon: Wildland’s new free DLC.
40 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
151 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
199 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy