Jury Finds in Favor of Apple in Apple vs. Samsung Trial, Awards More than $1 Billion in Damages

most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
55 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Unseen 50 & Yayo footage in 2000 for cash money Tour!
22 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
306 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Frequent Flier Series: Brazil
2 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-24-2012, 09:35 PM         #61
xeduran 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Big win for Apple. The bad thing about this are the pinch to zoom and double tap patents being uphold. Freaking juries, I swear. All Android devices are in jeopardy concerning those two patents as they all use those features. Android may have to remove both those features in future updates.

I cannot wait until Google gets granted those notification bar patents. Then maybe we will get cross licensing between IOS and Android devices. Cross licensing deals will be what is best for all consumers.

At least now Samsung has to get rid of that ugly Touchwiz. They should have never used it in the first place. That is the one thing I do agree with the jury on. Touchwiz is a blatant attempt to make Android OS look more like IOS. For that very reason I never liked it. If I wanted my phone to look like IOS I would get an Iphone. Samsung could have done without it.

Last edited by xeduran; 08-24-2012 at 09:37 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #62
hockeythug 66 heat pts66 OP
space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
 DEDOS said:
yo i need to somebody to answer this question what does this mean in regards to the samsung s3 ?!?!!?!??!
wasn't included in this lawsuit.
 5 years ago '04        #63
fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323
space
space
$9,570 | Props total: 2715 2715
 DEDOS said:
yo i need to somebody to answer this question what does this mean in regards to the samsung s3 ?!?!!?!??!
it's not directly affected by the lawsuit but like xeduran mentioned the pinch to zoom and double tap to zoom [patents being upheld, it makes them stronger in court. so apple could go after every android phone, BUT this will go through an appeal process where I believe a jury wont be included (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that)
 5 years ago '11        #64
Kadillac87 225 heat pts225
space
space
$17,495 | Props total: 6665 6665
 DEDOS said:
Nothing as of yet. These are the devices that were named in the lawsuit that infringed on patents

Captivate
Continuum
Droid Charge
Epic 4G
Exhibit 4G
Fascinate
Galaxy
Galaxy Ace
Galaxy Prevail
Galaxy S
Galaxy S Showcase
Galaxy S 4G
Galaxy S II (AT&T)
Galaxy S II (T-Mobile)
Galaxy S II (unlocked)
Galaxy Tab
Galaxy Tab 10.1
Gem
Indulge
Infuse 4G
Mesmerize
Replenish
Vibrant
 5 years ago '04        #65
hockeythug 66 heat pts66 OP
space
space
$19,303 | Props total: 846 846
 DEDOS said:
ok these fu*ks better give me my money back if this effects it any way
don't worry. There will be another lawsuit for the III, note, and note 2.
 5 years ago '07        #66
jamega2f 80 heat pts80
space
space
$1,307 | Props total: 31 31
 fat_boyy21 said:
it's not directly affected by the lawsuit but like xeduran mentioned the pinch to zoom and double tap to zoom [patents being upheld, it makes them stronger in court. so apple could go after every android phone, BUT this will go through an appeal process where I believe a jury wont be included (someone correct me if I'm wrong on that)
this could be dangerous since every android phone uses those zoom effects, when apple push for the ban for this and if its allowed that would be crazy, i dont see it happening but these coming days are going to be interesting
 5 years ago '05        #67
Bigrel 7 heat pts
space
space
$798 | Props total: 326 326

[pic - click to view]

Jury: Samsung violated Apple patents, owes more than $1B

Apple shares rose 1.8% to $675.04 in after-hours trading after the news.

The $1.05 billion in damages is the largest surviving verdict in patent history. Two larger verdicts were reversed, according to Stanford University law professor Mark Lemley.

"It's a huge win for Apple," says Lemley, who specializes in technology. "But this is one lawsuit among 50 in the smartphone market, and Apple's real target may be the Android ecosystem."

Apple's nearly clean sweep is likely to blunt momentum for Samsung which recently passed Apple as the world's largest seller of smartphones and will probably force it to redesign its mobile devices, Lemley says.

The bigger question is whether Apple's resounding victory "scares off" Google-Motorola and others in the smartphone wars, he says.

Jurors found that on the screen bounce-back patent, Samsung infringed on all phones and tablets. On patent 915, pinch and zoom, the jury found Samsung infringed with all but three devices.

Samsung violated the design patent for the front of the iPhone for all but one phone, according to the jury. On the home screen patent, Samsung violated with all phones, the jury found. Samsung did not violate one particular Apple iPad patent that covers its design, the jury found.

Samsung said in a statement: "Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer."

After the verdicts were read, the judge sent the jury back to deliberate further on two inconsistencies involving about $2.5 million in damages awarded to Apple based on products jurors found didn't infringe Apple's patents. Those deliberations were continuing.

The technology titans battled for more than three weeks in court over allegations that Samsung copied Apple's mobile device designs and software.

"If Apple patents are upheld long-term, it will force the industry toward innovation and differentiation," says Gartner analyst Michael Gartenberg. "That's not a bad thing for the market and for consumers."

U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh presided over the San Jose courtroom. Last month, she awarded Apple a preliminary injunction that could force Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet computer from stores pending the outcome of the trial.

"I think she's going to grant an injunction and a fairly broad one," says Lemley, indicating Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 could be yanked from the market.

Apple presented hundreds of pages of documents, as well as the testimony of scientists, executives and engineers, to support its claims that its iPad and iPhone were being copied by Samsung. Apple wanted products pulled and $2.5 billion in damages.

In closing arguments on Tuesday, Apple attorney Harold McElhinny alleged that Samsung documents show that in three months, it was able to copy four years of Apple development. He said they show "hundreds of pages of copying directions" for icon design and functions such as tap-to-zoom that were put into the Galaxy phone and tablet line.

He also said Samsung met with Google, which advised the company to change Galaxy designs, but Samsung declined.

"The damages in this case should be large, because the infringement was massive," McElhinny said.

Samsung lawyer Charles Verhoeven, in closing, shot back that the documents don't show what Apple claims. "It's a shell game for counsel trying to mislead you," he said. "They have to prove to you with their evidence that consumers will be deceived, there's a likelihood of deception. This doesn't meet the burden of proof."

Much is at stake over patents that cover Apple's graphic user interface patents for touch screen functionality. Samsung, in effect, serves as a proxy for Google because the search giant's Android software powers the Samsung devices in question. The outcome could have implications for patent cases worldwide and for other makers of Android-powered devices.

Samsung was seeking royalties for specific wireless technologies used by Apple.

08-24-2012, 11:16 PM         #68
xeduran 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fat_boyy21 said:
Appeals go through judges only, no jury is involved in an appeal. So depending on the judge, Samsung could win in court or at least get some of the ruling reversed.
 08-24-2012, 11:17 PM         #69
xeduran 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jamega2f said:
this could be dangerous since every android phone uses those zoom effects, when apple push for the ban for this and if its allowed that would be crazy, i dont see it happening but these coming days are going to be interesting
Apple is definitely going to push against other Android devices. The jury did not realize the implications of their ruling. They think this case was only about Samsung when in reality it is about Android. Apple will use this case to sue all the other Android phone manufacturers.
 5 years ago '11        #70
rec1989 5 heat pts
space
space
$2,543 | Props total: 19 19
Steve Jobs putting in work from the grave
 5 years ago '10        #71
jayjay2 11 heat pts11
space
space
$8,408 | Props total: 2275 2275
 1ironboy1 said:
good. tired of these iphone copycats
 08-24-2012, 11:34 PM         #72
Kuchiki_Byakuya 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Bout to buy myself an Macbook... time to join the winners' circle.
 08-24-2012, 11:43 PM         #73
Walt Thizzney 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 1ironboy1 said:
googles next tired all of all these copycats
speechless.....
 5 years ago '04        #74
famoussasjohn 17 heat pts17
space
space
$9,705 | Props total: 193 193
 Kadillac87 said:
Nothing as of yet. These are the devices that were named in the lawsuit that infringed on patents

Captivate
Continuum
Droid Charge
Epic 4G
Exhibit 4G
Fascinate
Galaxy
Galaxy Ace
Galaxy Prevail
Galaxy S
Galaxy S Showcase
Galaxy S 4G
Galaxy S II (AT&T)
Galaxy S II (T-Mobile)
Galaxy S II (unlocked)
Galaxy Tab
Galaxy Tab 10.1
Gem
Indulge
Infuse 4G
Mesmerize
Replenish
Vibrant
breakdown of charges per device
Captivate 80.4M
Continum 16.399M
Droid charge - $50.67M
Epic 4G - $130.1M
Exhibit 4G - 1.8M
Fascinate 143M
Galaxy - $0
Galaxy Prevail $57.867M
Vibrant - 86M
Replenish - $3.350M
Nexus S 4g - $1m
mesmerize $53.123M
Intercept - $2m
infuse 4G- $44m
Indulge - $16m
Gem- 4m
4G Tab - $219k
Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi- $833K
Tab - $1.966M
S Showcase - $22.21M
S2 Skyrocket - $32.273M
Epic 4G - $100.325M
S2 TMobile- 83.7M
S 2 i9100 - 0
S 2 AT&T - $40.4M
Galaxy S i9000 0
 5 years ago '07        #75
jamega2f 80 heat pts80
space
space
$1,307 | Props total: 31 31
 fat_boyy21 said:
 xeduran said:
Apple is definitely going to push against other Android devices. The jury did not realize the implications of their ruling. They think this case was only about Samsung when in reality it is about Android. Apple will use this case to sue all the other Android phone manufacturers.
they obviously didn't realize what they were doing, you right it is about android from that stand point that effects all android phones
 5 years ago '04        #76
NBA Brawler 112 heat pts112
space
space
$17,566 | Props total: 2426 2426
 PhI|0z0pH3r said:
That fact that the Jury came back so quickly right there should tell you whats really going on.
Yup...
 5 years ago '04        #77
mtbatol 11 heat pts11
space
space
$4,700 | Props total: 1163 1163
Samsung's dumbass internal emails on that "WE GOTTA BE LIKE APPLE" fuked everything up

I don't mind Samsung taking a L on this, except even the damn Nexus it seems was dragged into everything else which can be argued was a product of Samsung's "BE LIKE APPLE" stupidity in TouchWiz UI is being marred into this. Meanwhile Nexus is nothing like iOS yet dragged into this $hit.

Samsung's own self snitching in them internal documents done placed a huge target on having even stock Android not safe from Apple with this huge a.ss victory
 5 years ago '07        #78
JohnDoe 207 heat pts207
space
space
$12,035 | Props total: 3900 3900
real question can they appeal this decision? BTW why we letting a jury of random folks decide patent copyright litigation?
 5 years ago '05        #79
PhI|0z0pH3r 72 heat pts72
space
space
$15,376 | Props total: 3 3
 JohnDoe said:
real question can they appeal this decision? BTW why we letting a jury of random folks decide patent copyright litigation?
They can and will.

From CNN

What happens now? Does Samsung have to pay up? Before the verdict even came down, industry experts predicted that an appeal would be all but certain in this complex case.
Samsung alluded strongly to that point in a statement e-mailed to CNN after the verdict: "This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims."
The statement continued: "It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners."
Apple, of course, was thrilled with the ruling: "The mountain of evidence presented during the trial showed that Samsung's copying went far deeper than even we knew."
Samsung has to be sorely disappointed, but it has enough cash to handle the $1 billion ruling with relative ease: It earned $12 billion last year and has $14 billion in cash in the bank.
If Samsung does choose to appeal, it's unclear what timeline that move will follow. The case involved 109 pages of instructions, a fact that made headlines, although in a surprise move, the jury came back with a verdict after only three days.

Last edited by PhI|0z0pH3r; 08-25-2012 at 01:08 AM..
 08-25-2012, 03:54 AM         #80
Dangerously 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
If anything, Jonathan Ive and his UI design team at Apple won. I'm really surprised Samsung hasn't tried to wrestle Ive away from Apple, he wasn't happy working in the Bay Area and wanted to work more from England so I'm sure Samsung would've accommodated that.
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
111 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Niggas just crucified Lil Kim
118 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
117 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Kevin Hart X-mad card
78 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
74 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
36 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Girl, you look so good, it's to die for (die for) | Ooh, that pus-y go..
22 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
65 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy