UFC 151 Canceled: Dan Henderson Injured, Jones Turns Down Sonnen As replacement

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
28 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
177 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
77 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
88 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-23-2012, 01:36 PM         #1
10815 pageviews
281 comments

BlackStar922 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
UFC 151 Canceled: Dan Henderson Injured, Jones Turns Down Sonnen As replacement

A partial tear to the medial collateral ligament in Dan Henderson's right knee forced the cancelation Thursday of the entire UFC 151 card, which was slated for Sept. 1 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center.

UFC president Dana White said light heavyweight champion Jon Jones declined to f!ght Chael Sonnen, whom he proposed as a replacement for Henderson. That would have kept the show alive, but White said when Jones wouldn't agree to meet Sonnen, he had no choice but to cancel the show.

"I'm stunned," White told Yahoo! Sports on Thursday. "We've never had a situation where this happened before, where a champion wouldn't step up to f!ght."

Jon Jones was in attendance at UFC 148 when Anderson Silva beat Chael Sonnen. (Getty)
Jones agreed to f!ght Lyoto Machida on Sept. 22 at UFC 152 in Toronto. It is a rematch of the main event of UFC 140, which Jones won by choking out Machida in the second round.
White heaped praise upon Sonnen for being willing to take the f!ght on such short notice.
"Chael's been out there talking all this crazy [expletive] about Jones, but he proved that he not only talks the talk, he walks the walk," White said. "I offered the f!ght to a couple of guys, and believe me when I tell you, nobody wants to f!ght Jon Jones on [short] notice. Nobody. But when I called Chael, that crazy [expletive] said, 'Not only will I f!ght him, but I'll get on a plane and f!ght him at Mandalay Bay tonight, if that's what you want.' "

Henderson said Thursday he injured his knee while defending a takedown in practice. He said it won't require surgery, but doctors advised him to stay completely off of it for three weeks. He said the knee "is pretty unstable right now."

He was devastated by the cancelation because he believed he had a great opportunity to upset the highly regarded Jones, who is rated No. 2 in the world in the Yahoo! Sports pound-for-pound rankings. He said he was willing to f!ght injured if he had any way of doing so, but said the lack of stability in his knee prevented that.

"This is the first time in UFC history that the champion wouldn't step up and f!ght [a replacement], and I was pretty shocked to hear that," Henderson said. "It's not like he's injured. It's unbelievable to me that he wouldn't take that 'the show must go on' attitude. If there was any way I could have gone, and any way that I thought I could give myself a chance to win, I would have done that."

In a bid to save the card, White called several f!ghters and offered them the match against Jones. None but Sonnen, though, wanted to take on Jones without the benefit of a full training camp.

Sonnen, a middleweight who announced during an appearance on Fuel TV on Aug. 14 that he would be moving up to light heavyweight for a Dec. 29 f!ght against Forrest Griffin, was willing to take the risk.
Sonnen, who was knocked out by middleweight champion Anderson Silva after missing a spinning back fist in a highly profitable rematch on July 7 in Las Vegas, said he never considered saying no.

"I was shocked and I'm shocked much more that the show was canceled," Sonnen said. "We all have to pitch in and help. It surprised me [Jones turned down the f!ght]. That's the first time I can recall that happening."

Sonnen hadn't trained since he lost to Silva and conceded his weight was high. He declined to say specifically what he weighed on Thursday, but said he would have had a lot of work to do to make the 205-pound limit. However, he insisted he would have made it.
In a defense of Jones, Sonnen said "it's a big thing to ask of anybody," to take on a new opponent on such short notice. But he said it's much riskier for the person in his position, as the f!ghter who hadn't been training, than it would have been for Jones, who had been preparing for Henderson.

Even given his disadvantages, Sonnen said he thought he could win the f!ght.
"Of course I could have won," Sonnen said. "You have to realize, I fell down in my last f!ght and I didn't get back up. It's not like it was a hard match for me up to that point. I'm not going to fall down again."

Sonnen said he's unsure if he will f!ght Griffin as was originally planned on Dec. 29.
Neither Jones nor any representatives could be reached for comment.
White said the decision to cancel the show was the first time in more than 11 years owning the UFC he had to do that. The UFC canceled a planned March show in Montreal, but that was before matches were officially announced.

[pic - click to view]

Source: Yahoo

281 comments for "UFC 151 Canceled: Dan Henderson Injured, Jones Turns Down Sonnen As replacement"

5 years ago '05        #2
Danger Zone 58 heat pts58
space
space
$34,163 | Props total: 18436 18436

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '11        #3
kushkulture420 43 heat pts43
space
space
$2,197 | Props total: 1029 1029
fu*kKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!! I dont wanna see Bones embarrass this n*gga Lyoto again
 5 years ago '12        #4
TRILL SH1T 95 heat pts95
space
space
$5,855 | Props total: 3490 3490
Why and the fu*k would Dana even offer Chael that f!ght? I'm convinced Chael and Dana are lovers how the hell is Chael deserving at all of that offer? It's laughable
 5 years ago '08        #5
AnyGiven 39 heat pts39
space
space
$7,411 | Props total: 422 422
Damn, I can't even defend Jones on that one. That might possibly be a bi*ch a.ss move.
 5 years ago '05        #6
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
 TRILL SH1T said:
Why and the fu*k would Dana even offer Chael that f!ght? I'm convinced Chael and Dana are lovers how the hell is Chael deserving at all of that offer? It's laughable
dude gets his a.ss kicked and still gets offered to f!ght the best

The fact that it was even considered..wow
 5 years ago '05        #7
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
 AnyGiven said:
Damn, I can't even defend Jones on that one. That might possibly be a bi*ch a.ss move.
hows it a bi*ch a.ss move, Chael doesnt deserve that f!ght and its a huge waste of time

just because dude opened his mouth doesnt mean jones should lower himself and f!ght this bum
 5 years ago '12        #8
CosbySweater 297 heat pts297
space
space
$36,129 | Props total: 15806 15806
 Bea5T said:
hows it a bi*ch a.ss move, Chael doesnt deserve that f!ght and its a huge waste of time

just because dude opened his mouth doesnt mean jones should lower himself and f!ght this bum
 5 years ago '07        #9
Welsh! 
space
space
$5,541 | Props total: 39 39
Dana on Sonnens d!ck once again. What a f*ggot.
 5 years ago '12        #10
TRILL SH1T 95 heat pts95
space
space
$5,855 | Props total: 3490 3490
 AnyGiven said:
I actually think its more of a bi*ch move to take that Chael f!ght; f!ghting a guy who just got his a.ss beat and looked like sh*t in the f!ght before that's undersized and moving up in weight... More reason that it's laughable Dana even made Jones that offer if I was Jones I woulda slapped the fu*k outta Dana for even mentioning such a joke... The lyota f!ghts a joke too IMO
 5 years ago '08        #11
AnyGiven 39 heat pts39
space
space
 Bea5T said:

A whole card is cancelled because he didn't take the f!ght. Nobody is getting paid now. People fly in to see a show that isn't happening anymore. "The show must go on".

Lower himself? Chael just fought for the middleweight title.
 5 years ago '10        #12
JETSoverERTHING 171 heat pts171
space
space
$22,593 | Props total: 5679 5679
man..... fu*k the whole UFC right now.....
 5 years ago '05        #13
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
Jones is the headliner, why the fu*k would he care about the card?

And chael got his a.ss kicked, you don't move up in weight and f!ght the champ at that weight after losing in your current weight

thatd be like floyd f!ghting amir khan
 5 years ago '05        #14
space
space
Dana offered it to Chael because that would have gotten the biggest numbers. He said he called other ppl but who else would there have been?
 5 years ago '04        #15
D1nOnlyMrM@ 43 heat pts43
space
space
$12,457 | Props total: 1447 1447
^ but he looked like sh*t. he would get absolutely destroyed
 5 years ago '05        #16
space
space
 D1nOnlyMrM@ said:
^ but he looked like sh*t. he would get absolutely destroyed
Maybe so but it was the only logical matchup. Machida was gonna get his title shot anyways. But now a whole event is canceled
 5 years ago '08        #17
AnyGiven 39 heat pts39
space
space
 Bea5T said:
Jones is the headliner, why the fu*k would he care about the card?

And chael got his a.ss kicked, you don't move up in weight and f!ght the champ at that weight after losing in your current weight

thatd be like floyd f!ghting amir khan
He should care. That's the company he works for. That's also ppl lively hoods. There is not much else to explain.

You think Chael was his first choice? He's the only one that stepped up and is a name. The show has to continue. Chael would have been the only one with a disadvantage.
 5 years ago '09        #18
TriniSoldier 64 heat pts64
space
space
$49,102 | Props total: 22560 22560
 AnyGiven said:
A whole card is cancelled because he didn't take the f!ght. Nobody is getting paid now. People fly in to see a show that isn't happening anymore. "The show must go on".

Lower himself? Chael just fought for the middleweight title.
It's an unfortunate situation but oh well. He was all set for the original agreement and someone else went and hurt themselves thats not his fault And doesnt involve him. Them other f!ghters should step there game up and headline there own event instead of relying on another man to feed your family a n*gga ain't tryna hear that.
 5 years ago '12        #19
Dee352 170 heat pts170
space
space
$10,741 | Props total: 610 610
 5 years ago '07        #20
DaForce13 27 heat pts27
space
space
$4,643 | Props total: 437 437
yea... that's a bi*ch a.ss move by Jones
Home      

most viewed right now
What's the best punchline you heard this year?
102 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
86 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
91 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
188 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
joie chavis
32 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
44 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New Pictures Of DG Yola In Jail
70 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who are these washed up niggas next to Drake?
61 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy