Nas' Ghostwriting Controversy And How Social Media Has Ruined Journalism

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
147 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
39 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
71 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-17-2012, 09:35 AM         #21
s7venwords  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 freshtoodef said:
I'm not a fan of ghostwriting but rap seems to be the only lane that ghostwriting is frowned upon
True, because in other genres of music the "fake sh*t " doesn't matter, where as in hip hop we want it to be authentic.
 5 years ago '08        #22
popsjenkins 26 heat pts26
space
space
$2,780 | Props total: 256 256
 freshtoodef said:
I'm not a fan of ghostwriting but rap seems to be the only lane that ghostwriting is frowned upon
It's the only medium where lyrics take center stage(or at least used to). The genesis of rap was not only what you said but HOW you said it. Rock, blues, country, R&B all focus on the story and voice quality(how good someone sings). Rap for the most part is spoken word, so the way words are put together is very important.

So if you find out that it's someone else's words he's spitting, there is nothing else to fall back on.
 5 years ago '11        #23
itstruemental 1 heat pts
space
space
$409 | Props total: 315 315
Just like people think Jay-Z wrote, "rosa parks sat so martin luther could walk martin luther walked so Barack Obama could run Barack Obama ran so all the children could fly"..... He didn't, someone "Ghostwrote"...Any one with common sense KNOWS Jay-Z didn't write that... He just spit it on "My President is Black" Remix...
 5 years ago '12        #24
Boo The Fool 12 heat pts12
space
space
$16,390 | Props total: 5651 5651
 itstruemental said:
Just like people think Jay-Z wrote, "rosa parks sat so martin luther could walk martin luther walked so Barack Obama could run Barack Obama ran so all the children could fly"..... He didn't, someone "Ghostwrote"...Any one with common sense KNOWS Jay-Z didn't write that... He just spit it on "My President is Black" Remix...
jigga been staying away from the pen....he freestyles everything and he stays out of jail
 08-17-2012, 10:25 AM         #25
ManWithoutFear!  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Good read

Same can be said about sports journalism right now.

And having a ghostwriter is a.ss cheeks. Just like a n*gga in a cipher spittin' some bullsh*t he memorized. I put those two in the same category. File that sh*t under CORNY.
 5 years ago '11        #26
superdrunken 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,849 | Props total: 82 82
tl;dr
 08-17-2012, 10:52 AM         #27
Old Man Quillis  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Journalism has never been right to begin with. It all comes down to what the check writer approves of.
 08-17-2012, 11:06 AM         #28
escay_muzik  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 2D.... said:
nobody works on an album alone

notice how those grammy and award speeches thank so many people?

major league music takes a team
and i really doubt anyone doubts nas's lyricism and writing
the fact he got stic's direction on there is great
Its a little too late to discred GOD SON...Albums=MONEY$$$$ Especially now! Im not surprised and I also would like to say WHO GIVES A fu*k?!? Nas put out CLASSICS...n now that a n*gga is in his mid 30s, tryina pay child support....hes just trying to get paid son....now if the n*gga is just comin out and n*gga is tryin to start a buzz...okay then bring this sh*t up...and who cares about UNTITLED ALBUM...that sh*t was WACK TO ME.....NOW I KNOW WHY!!!! GOD SON DIDNT WRITE IT!! SO fu*k THIS JOURNALIST...dumbass n*gga trying to tarnish the GOATS name...
 08-17-2012, 11:16 AM         #29
3rdcoasta  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Illuminati said:
BX n*ggas are popping in her and exiting just as quickly as soon as they spot that wall of text

Come on BX.
ya wanna hide something from a n*gga; put it in a book
 5 years ago '10        #30
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
I've been trying to say what this article points out the entire time.

You got a bunch of stans and haters quick to take sides...bloggers and news sites using whatever quotes they can get to generate hits... man it's ugly.

All of this with nothing concrete. So, really it's a non issue. I'm just disgusted with Nas' fans, haters alike...and Dream Hampton's ignorance of her actions. Because I believe she's telling the truth. The fact of the matter, you can't say sh*t like that without evidence.
 5 years ago '05        #31
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,226 | Props total: 9629 9629
 Hovi Bryant said:

You got a bunch of stans and haters quick to take sides...bloggers and news sites using whatever quotes they can get to generate hits... man it's ugly.

All of this with nothing concrete. So, really it's a non issue. I'm just disgusted with Nas' fans, haters alike...and Dream Hampton's ignorance of her actions. Because I believe she's telling the truth. The fact of the matter, you can't say sh*t like that without evidence.
You contradicted yourself wildly.

08-17-2012, 12:06 PM         #32
kevante  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Jackstunt said:
Paul Mooney wrote for Richard Pryor.
I could never understand that. If you're basically the greatest, or one of the greatest, why would you even want people writing for you? Maybe they wrote hooks for Nas
 5 years ago '10        #33
space
space
 WCIB said:
You contradicted yourself wildly.

No, I didn't contradict myself.

I don't need proof to believe in anything. You never asked my reasoning as to why I believe her. That response my lead to a contradictory answer, but no. It wouldn't in my case. I'll save you the time.
 5 years ago '07        #34
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,322 | Props total: 1109 1109
 freshtoodef said:
And it should be cuz all the rapper is doing is talking over an instrumental...
 5 years ago '11        #35
VicDutch 122 heat pts122
space
space
$4,510 | Props total: 1035 1035
 Illuminati said:
BX n*ggas are popping in her and exiting just as quickly as soon as they spot that wall of text

Come on BX.
This.

And i really want to know what it says.. but i'm not about to start reading that sh*t, fu*k that.. gotta catch me when i'm bored..
 5 years ago '07        #36
MOTTAFOOKAH 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,322 | Props total: 1109 1109
 kevante said:
I could never understand that. If you're basically the greatest, or one of the greatest, why would you even want people writing for you? Maybe they wrote hooks for Nas
 5 years ago '06        #37
MissLoveOne 7 heat pts
space
space
$3,129 | Props total: 42 42
 Hovi Bryant said:

That's why it's her word against everybody's now. As the saying goes, think before you speak. But I also understand why some may dismiss Dream. They're going to question her Jay Z connection. Who wouldn't. Jay has been connected to some of the bigger parts of her writing career. So it's easy for people to say, of course you'd throw Nas under the bus, Jay is low key paying you.

As far as the whole ghostwriter claims is concerned. Do I think Nas had flat out ghostwriters and didn't have a hand or diction in his own art? No. Do I think he had help crafting a lot of it? Yes, what artist doesn't. It depends on what you consider writing/ghostwriting. You can throw somebody one word and get a credit. Aside from substantial evidence, to what extent is it all?
 08-17-2012, 01:00 PM         #38
bbrossy313  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Illuminati said:

Come on BX.
so true lol bx people cant read we all know this
 5 years ago '07        #39
KeithHernandez 7 heat pts
space
space
$4,160 | Props total: 118 118
 noverum said:
Did this guy just wake up from a coma? 'Investigative journalism' is an antiquated facet of 'old media'. These days, information is provided to the public raw, unprocessed; universally, not just in Hip-Hop. There are many new problems that arise with the evolution of media, but exposure of conspiracy and industry secrets is not one of them.

When FWMJ got a phone-call that shattered his respect for his favourite artist and subsequently decided to publicise his thoughts on the issue before investigating the validity of the information he had been given, his conjecture became public, for better or worse. For me, conjecture is better than deceit. Journalists who hold back information because it's "off the record" lack integrity, because journalism should be about informing the masses at best - and providing facts without context at worst, not being a puppet of a PR machine.
Sounds like you're cynical toward the media and a little unclear as to what investigative journalism entails. There are so many cogs in rotation at any particular time that no piece is truly investigative because it's aways developing. The problem that Hale addresses in his piece is the rush to share, and the subsequent rush to judgment, that comes from thoughts in the social media space.

Sensationalism has fu*ked up a lot of things for journalism, especially in this CLICK ME! CLICK ME! era that we're in. It's worse than the PICK ME! game that the Daily News and New York Post play each morning with their covers, for example.

In your pursuit, or desire, for the absolute truth, you're suggesting that people sacrifice their livelihoods to expose details that would ruin them. For the most part, off the record remarks are usually suggested, by the best writers, while maintaining the innocence of the person who spoke it.

But the possibilities are far too hypothetical for this situation here. The problem with the Nas, Stic.Man, Jay Electronica fiasco is that there are no details, and no specifics. Yet, people jumped to conclusions and rushed to judgment. And because someone was irresponsible with the information, more seasoned and intelligent journalists couldn't discuss it or present it in a way readers could comprehend. That sucks.
 5 years ago '10        #40
space
space
 MissLoveOne said:
That's why it's her word against everybody's now. As the saying goes, think before you speak. But I also understand why some may dismiss Dream. They're going to question her Jay Z connection. Who wouldn't. Jay has been connected to some of the bigger parts of her writing career. So it's easy for people to say, of course you'd throw Nas under the bus, Jay is low key paying you.

As far as the whole ghostwriter claims is concerned. Do I think Nas had flat out ghostwriters and didn't have a hand or diction in his own art? No. Do I think he had help crafting a lot of it? Yes, what artist doesn't. It depends on what you consider writing/ghostwriting. You can throw somebody one word and get a credit. Aside from substantial evidence, to what extent is it all?
Dream had a connection to Nas and other big names way before Jay-Z if you read any of the other threads about this on the site. So, it's short-sighted to say her connection with Jay has anything to do with this. Why would she get paid to tweet that? Jay-Z's book came out years ago.

There's no clear motive besides Dream trying to win an argument about something bigger than what she claims anyway. She's not putting this out in a book or some blog, or somewhere to intentionally gather attention. So, this...along with her long history of being involved with numerous artists behind the scenes for decades ... gives me enough to believe she heard reference tracks.

It doesn't seem like a stretch at all. Given the fact that the artist were talking about is Nas... At first glance it looks like a big stretch, but in the reality of this industry, nothing really is.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
24 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
52 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA JR Smith passes Kobe for 12th all-time in 3 pointers made
52 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
77 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
4 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside If big tiddies and a phat ass aren't your cup of tea, then this isn't ..
61 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
105 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy