Aug 15 - Damn!! USA's longest-serving female inmate freed after 49 years

most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
38 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Uncle Murda Comments On Chinx's Killer Who Is Linked To Him!
55 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Jeezy wildin 😩😩😂😂😂
77 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Minnesota with lime green uniforms tonight -- yay or nay?
25 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #1
8361 pageviews
89 comments

Budala 418 heat pts418
space
space
$12,323 | Props total: 1298 1298
Aug 15 - Damn!! USA's longest-serving female inmate freed after 49 years

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

Betty Smithey, 69, whose prison term began following her conviction for the murder of a 15-month-old Phoenix girl in 1963, appeared at a parole hearing Monday morning and by that afternoon walked, with the aid of a cane, out of the gates of the Perryville state prison.

"It's wonderful driving down the road and not seeing any barbed wire," Smithey said by phone as she traveled with relatives to her niece's Mesa home, where she will reside. "I am lucky, so very lucky."

"Like I told the (parole) board, I know it's going to be a big adjustment, but I'll take it and I'll make good," she said.

Members of Arizona's Board of Executive Clemency agreed that Smithey had proved she is no longer the troubled woman who at age 20 murdered Sandy Gerberick on New Year's Day 1963, while working as the family's live-in baby-sitter, or the woman who that same year threatened to k!ll herself after being sentenced to life without the possibility of parole.

Board members voted 4-1 to grant an absolute discharge, not only freeing Smithey from prison but also any community supervision.

Smithey became eligible for discharge after Gov. Jan Brewer granted her clemency in June, reducing her sentence to 49 years to life.

"I really see no value in keeping you in prison any longer. I really see no value in keeping strings on you any longer," Parole Board Chairman and Director Jesse Hernandez told Smithey before voting to grant her discharge.

Monday's vote was a rare occurrence. Sentenced to life before August 1973, Smithey was numbered among the so-called "old-code lifers" who are eligible for parole only if first granted a commutation by the governor. She is only the third such inmate to be granted clemency since 1989.

In 1994 and 2003, boards recommended clemency for Smithey only to have first Gov. Fife Symington and then Gov. Janet Napolitano deny it.

Last spring, not long after the board unanimously recommended clemency for Smithey, Brewer replaced three of its five members; on Monday, the new members in particular sought reassurance that Smithey doesn't pose any danger of violence. Much of their questioning of Smithey, her attorneys and supporters and psychiatrist Elizabeth Kohlhepp focused on Smithey's youthful mental state, whether the board could be sure she'd changed, and whether she could handle the stress of returning to the outside world after five decades.

As the deciding vote came down in her favor, Smithey crossed herself and looked down briefly as if in disbelief that the moment had finally arrived.

Smithey endured a horrific childhood of abandonment, abuse and mistreatment by foster and adoptive parents, creating, Kohlhepp said, a fragile youth with poor coping skills who became psychotic under extreme stress.

In her early years in prison she was rebellious and troublesome, escaping four times from three different prisons between 1974 and 1981.

But Kohlhepp, who evaluated Smithey's mental health in 2003 and again recently, said that over the decades Smithey worked hard to transform herself.

"She has no risk factors for violence," said Kohlhepp. "She doesn't have a criminal mind-set."

The key moment, said Smithey, came in 1983 when she received a letter from Emma Simmons, Sandy Gerberick's mother, forgiving her for the crime.

"She made me feel that I wasn't a monster," said Smithey. "I felt if she could forgive me for taking her child's life, I could forgive myself. It was my responsibility to try to become a better person than I was."

[pic - click to view]

USA's longest-serving female inmate freed after 49 years – USATODAY.com

[pic - click to view]

History of abuse: Smithey in 1959 with Mitchell Johnson, who she kidnapped from an employer four years before murdering another baby. The parole board said she was no longer a threat

89 comments for "Aug 15 - Damn!! USA's longest-serving female inmate freed after 49 years"

5 years ago '11        #2
Mikey c 
space
space
$1,225 | Props total: 390 390
Smithey in 1959 with Mitchell Johnson, who she kidnapped from an employer four years before murdering another baby.

And they let her out...
 5 years ago '11        #3
xo xo xo 85 heat pts85
space
space
space
$5,426 | Props total: 430 430
I would have never released her. She should have rotted in jail, smh.
 5 years ago '11        #4
Suppafresh 26 heat pts26
space
space
$6,090 | Props total: 265 265
bi*ch should have died
 5 years ago '04        #5
SpyDa 180 heat pts180
space
space
$12,910 | Props total: 2549 2549
 08-15-2012, 09:43 AM         #6
Joehook 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
inb4racewar....
 08-15-2012, 09:49 AM         #7
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
50 year is a long fu*king time........she did her time.....it is what it is............
 5 years ago '12        #8
Prostyle 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,475 | Props total: 1029 1029
She gone to shocked seeing blacks runnin sh*t out chea now
 5 years ago '10        #9
space
space
space
$1,232 | Props total: 1836 1836
 Dos-effect said:
50 year is a long fu*king time........she did her time.....it is what it is............
I respectfully disagree.
 08-15-2012, 01:38 PM         #10
Dos-effect 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Nothing wrong with that, but to put it in full perspective.........it wasn't exactly a cake walk.........I imagine this was a incredibly hard 50 year stretch, especially the beginning.
 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM         #11
killya 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I heard she escaped from jail at one point.
 5 years ago '10        #12
space
space
space
 Dos-effect said:
Nothing wrong with that, but to put it in full perspective.........it wasn't exactly a cake walk.........I imagine this was a incredibly hard 50 year stretch, especially the beginning.
No doubt about that, and our justice system isn't the best however murdering a 15 month old, and not spending the rest of your natural life in jail just does not sit well with me.
 5 years ago '10        #13
TheMindOf 21 heat pts21
space
space
$27,749 | Props total: 16554 16554
Good for her. She did her time. That's what the system is about. Hope she can make good with her remaining years.

Also, hope she doesn't find out what crack is..
 5 years ago '10        #14
space
space
space
 TheMindOf said:
Good for her. She did her time. That's what the system is about. Hope she can make good with her remaining years.

Also, hope she doesn't find out what Bath Salts are..
Fixed*
 5 years ago '04        #15
MosDefinition 19 heat pts19
space
space
$25,081 | Props total: 4427 4427
 Dos-effect said:
as opposed to the 50 years that child didnt get to live
 5 years ago '07        #16
joshdogg26 193 heat pts193
space
space
$34,395 | Props total: 13067 13067
should have died in there
 5 years ago '04        #17
Decan45 2 heat pts
space
space
$10,863 | Props total: 3992 3992
Hide your babies...
 5 years ago '09        #18
MPipes101 44 heat pts44
space
space
$3,887 | Props total: 1100 1100
 joshdogg26 said:
should have died in there

hate to say it but pretty much
 5 years ago '05        #19
darquecinnamon 6 heat pts
space
space
space
$15,348 | Props total: 152 152
 08-15-2012, 06:26 PM         #20
lifeundthescope 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
she shouldve got the firing squad, they only let her out cause she is White.

Research White Privilege, if she was Black she would get the death penalty.
Home      

most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
70 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
78 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Chick Rants About Only Liking Hood Guys! "I Love When I see A N*gga Glo..
195 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
77 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
80 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Dec 15 - California Warns People to Limit Exposure to Cellphones
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
pocaahantus
25 comments
22 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
26 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy