This NBC controversial commercial: just bad timing? (video)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Chinx’s Killer attended his funeral!!!!!smh
89 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Phat ass white girl for real
35 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Former NBA All Star Lorenzen Wright's ex wife is arrested in connection to..
109 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 08-04-2012, 12:36 AM         #101
bxrulez 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Flawless Image said:
you think theres reptiles walking around disguised as humans
U think your not a slave, And u know what reality is. I don't know what's more hillarious
 5 years ago '05        #102
ebcrew 2 heat pts
space
space
$9,888 | Props total: 105 105
nothing at all wrong with this, unless of course ur racists yourself.. because then your mind will think its racist.

theres nothing wrong about a commercial of gabby douglas on the rings

oooohhhhhhhh

its only a joke!
 5 years ago '06        #103
Nugen2384 
space
space
$3,573 | Props total: 0 0
What if the chick was white or any other race but black. Would we be having this conversation? To be honest, I haven't watched very much of the Olympics but if this commercial aired routinely throughout the games then I find it hard to believe that it was an intentional slight.
 5 years ago '05        #104
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,735 | Props total: 12560 12560
 ra1n said:
Your entire rant is based on a "what if"

You have no idea if there was really racist intent behind the commercial or if it was just a coincidental commercial & your mind is merely finding patterns to justify racist intent.
How does finding the pattern mean my basis is a what if? Did they not run a monkey commercial playing the same sport as Gabby?

Is it not common for racist to refer to African Americans as monkeys?

It seems that you WANT there to be something racial.
Yes you're right, I wanted NBC to run that monkey commercial, and I like being subliminally insulted as an African American. I love having to go back and forth with insensitive white people. I love racism in my direction, I live to complain about it.. You got me..
 08-04-2012, 01:08 AM         #105
bigree61 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
is my 98% to low
 5 years ago '05        #106
gslim3000 
space
space
$508 | Props total: 12 12
 5 years ago '04        #107
The S-Word 
space
space
$3,679 | Props total: 1300 1300
 Russ369 said:
Sensitive a.ss black people fu*kin get over yourselves
 Russ369 said:

[pic - click to view]

Bea5T said:
Black people whine about everything

bunch of soccer moms here

...You two Attention-Whoring clowns seem to have a real problem with black people and don't believe that racism exists, which is especially pathetic because you're on a Message Board for a genre of music that was partly founded because of racism. Irony is a b!tch, isn't it? It's common knowledge that the quickest way to infuriate white guilt-ridden, racist whites (Even the ones Trolling Hip-Hop Forums who buy all the Hip-Hop they see and may secretly wish they were black/pretend to be black online so they can be 'down') is to bring up racism, something they'll never have to experience, yet have the audacity to try (And FAIL, might I add) to tell blacks and other Minorities how they should think, feel about, and react to it. What fu*king nerve. Or maybe I should search teh Internetz and find some snide, racist,, puerile, and unfunny picture of Jesse Jackson to illustrate my point? Speaking of which:

"...The Race Card...What White folks forget is there's 52 cards in a deck. If we're gonna to play with cards, let's play with all of them--Let's play the Jew card, let's play the homophobic card, let's play the s3xist card, let's play the cards white folks are born with in their butt, the Massa Card. Let's play all these damn cards...When I get to callin' them cards, they don't wanna play anymore."

[video - click to view]

^0:59-1:23

A word of advice regarding racial matters--Don't start sh!t you can't finish. Now find a picture of that online...
 5 years ago '07        #108
I bleed GREEN 34 heat pts34
space
space
$22,670 | Props total: 17918 17918
 bxrulez said:
U think your not a slave, And u know what reality is. I don't know what's more hillarious
reptiles disguised as humans = i cant take anything you say serious.

"smarter"
 5 years ago '07        #109
I bleed GREEN 34 heat pts34
space
space
$22,670 | Props total: 17918 17918
 Hold That said:
How does finding the pattern mean my basis is a what if? Did they not run a monkey commercial playing the same sport as Gabby?

Is it not common for racist to refer to African Americans as monkeys?

Yes you're right, I wanted NBC to run that monkey commercial, and I like being subliminally insulted as an African American. I love having to go back and forth with insensitive white people. I love racism in my direction, I live to complain about it.. You got me..
theyve been playing this and the other commercials for that show the whole olympics,give it up.
 08-04-2012, 07:17 AM         #110
deLeet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 5 years ago '05        #111
zogby 42 heat pts42
space
space
$2,131 | Props total: 26 26
commercial space is normally sold and organized in advance to the program
they people doing the adds dont organize content for the show.
 5 years ago '11        #112
megalomaniacal 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,660 | Props total: 4769 4769
 ra1n said:
Yes, I'm aware that certain racists call black people monkeys. And? The problem is that you're automatically implying guilt of NBC being racist without considering the possibility of coincidence (which is the more probable explanation because it requires less a.ssumptions.) So yes, your rant is based on a "what if".

Logic, learn to use it.

And I'm not saying you had to like the commercial, or that you wanted to see the commercial. But you shouldn't automatically blame someone else because your mind, for some reason, automatically connects monkey with blackness.

Lol@ the black people stfu and stop

bringing up racism youre annoying me

lecture. Some people are hilarious for all

the wrong reasons.
 5 years ago '05        #113
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,253 | Props total: 9668 9668
 Hold That said:

It's like that saying, "It's only racist if you think you're a n*gg*r"..

stand for nothing you will fall for anything
Actually it's not. But looking at your posts in this thread i can see why you'd think so. If it was Jordan weaver (sp) that won or those Russian girls, we wouldn't be here. They've been playing that commercial throughout the Olympics... And like I said, if you think Gabby is a monkey, then yeah, it is racist. But she isn't and neither am I so to me it's just a commercial for a show that won't make it one season.
 5 years ago '05        #114
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,253 | Props total: 9668 9668
 The S-Word said:

...You two Attention-Whoring clowns seem to have a real problem with black people and don't believe that racism exists, which is especially pathetic because you're on a Message Board for a genre of music that was partly founded because of racism. Irony is a b!tch, isn't it? It's common knowledge that the quickest way to infuriate white guilt-ridden, racist whites (Even the ones Trolling Hip-Hop Forums who buy all the Hip-Hop they see and may secretly wish they were black/pretend to be black online so they can be 'down') is to bring up racism, something they'll never have to experience, yet have the audacity to try (And FAIL, might I add) to tell blacks and other Minorities how they should think, feel about, and react to it. What fu*king nerve. Or maybe I should search teh Internetz and find some snide, racist,, puerile, and unfunny picture of Jesse Jackson to illustrate my point? Speaking of which:

"...The Race Card...What White folks forget is there's 52 cards in a deck. If we're gonna to play with cards, let's play with all of them--Let's play the Jew card, let's play the homophobic card, let's play the s3xist card, let's play the cards white folks are born with in their butt, the Massa Card. Let's play all these damn cards...When I get to callin' them cards, they don't wanna play anymore."

^0:59-1:23

A word of advice regarding racial matters--Don't start sh!t you can't finish. Now find a picture of that online...
 5 years ago '07        #115
TWINSFAN 37 heat pts37
space
space
$2,952 | Props total: 0 0
Every damn time you fools are looking to make something racist. Blah blah blah blah blah. You guys seriously need to shut the phuck up.
 5 years ago '08        #116
centercourt 
space
space
$152 | Props total: 20 20
NBC forced to apologise...

NBC has become the centre of a race storm after airing an ad featuring a monkey performing gymnastics, right after showing the performance of Gabby Douglas, the first African-American to win Olympic gold.
The network has since apologised for the advert's poor timing, explaining: 'No offense was intended.'

The controversy ignited as sportscaster Bob Costas wrapped his analysis of her incredible routine during the all-around competition last night.
Costas said: 'There are some African American girls out there who tonight are saying to themselves: "Hey, I’d like to try that too." More from London in a moment.'

The broadcast then went to a commercial break, showing an advertisement featuring a monkey wearing a gymnastics uniform and performing a rings gymnastics event.
The unintentional, but poorly-timed ad was for Animal Practice, an upcoming NBC sitcom.

Angry viewers lashed out at the network on social media platforms like Twitter, accusing them of racism.
'Disgusted at NBC for showing Animal Practice with monkey right after Gabby wins her gold,' one user posted.

Another called it 'risky.'
In a statement to MailOnline, NBC Sports said: 'Gabby Douglas' gold medal performance last night was an historic and inspiring achievement.

'This spot promoting ’Animal Practice,’ which has run three times previously, is one in a series with an Olympic theme which have been scheduled for maximum exposure. Certainly no offense was intended.'

Gabby may be a rising star in gymnastics, but the golden achievement has also brought unwanted attention.

The race uproar came after another nasty row involving Twitter over the gymnastics sensation’s hair, expressing their disapproval over how it was styled.
Critics have argued that her dark locks should in fact mimic the tight, ballerina-style bun that gymnasts usually tuck their hair into.

One user wrote: 'Gabby Douglas gotta [sic] do something with this hair! These clips and this brown gel residue aint it!'.

Another posted: 'In Olympic news, why hasn't anyone tried to fix Gabby Douglas' hair?'.
To which a further user replied: 'That's an Olympic sport too!'
Despite the unwanted criticism, Douglas has also had a strong show of support from public figures like singers P!nk and Nicki Minaj, as well as Condoleezza Rice, the first African-American secretary of state.
The Capuchin monkey in the ad, named Crystal, is the same primate that appears in We Bought a Zoo, The Hangover Part II and the Night at the Museum films.
She also appears in Community, another NBC sitcom.
NBC's broadcast of the London games has come under intense scrutiny, which has been exacerbated due to Twitter, which viewers have used as a soap box to gripe about the coverage.
It was accused of manufacturing unnecessary suspense for the women's team gymnastics final on Wednesday night- which was arguably not even close.
Protests erupted earlier this week following a promo that showed U.S. swimmer Missy Franklin with her gold medal - moments before the network aired the dramatic race in which she won it.
In a statement to MailOnline, NBC apologised for the tape delay mistake

On Monday night, a Los Angeles-based reporter and vocal critic of the network had his Twitter page suspended.
Guy Adams, who writes for The Independent, lost his account after NBC complained he tweeted the email address of NBC Olympics president Gary Zenkel so viewers could 'tell him what you think.'
Adams' account was later reinstated.
There was also outrage over NBC's decision to cut a tribute for the victims of the London 2005 terrorist bombings from its Olympics Opening Ceremony coverage on Friday.
The network said it did not air the tribute because it wasn't tailored for the U.S. audience - and aired a Ryan Seacrest interview with iconic swimmer Michael Phelps instead.

5 years ago '05        #117
space
space
^If they knew they did nothing wrong they wouldn't have never apologized.. Case closed I was right..
 5 years ago '05        #118
space
space
 ra1n said:
Yes, I'm aware that certain racists call black people monkeys. And? The problem is that you're automatically implying guilt of NBC being racist without considering the possibility of coincidence (which is the more probable explanation because it requires less a.ssumptions.) So yes, your rant is based on a "what if".

Logic, learn to use it.
Coincidence, goes out the window when theres a 7 hour delay and plenty of time to edit things out. Thats my logical a.ssessment.
And I'm not saying you had to like the commercial, or that you wanted to see the commercial. But you shouldn't automatically blame someone else because your mind, for some reason, automatically connects monkey with blackness.
You speak of it like it's just me? NBC was forced to apologize, there's millions who thought JUST LIKE I DID. Millions who were offended JUST LIKE ME. Who mostly likely happen to be black, and some who aren't but thought it was tasteless as well.

Sorry I just can't play devil's advocate and give benefit of the doubt so easily like you can, who's probably not black, and really doesn't "get it"
 5 years ago '05        #119
THEINFAMOUS 19 heat pts19
space
space
$47,195 | Props total: 11803 11803
 gathugga said:
Questions about it being racists aside, what exactly is the commercial promoting?
This.
 5 years ago '05        #120
DanBootleg 210 heat pts210
space
space
$18,772 | Props total: 8933 8933
 skeetmcghee said:
That's not helping NBC's case. The commercial was for an NBC show though .
They didn't know she was going to win before the commercial segments were set, so explain to me how a matter of coincidence is racism?
Home      

most viewed right now
Black thought freestyles on funk flex | #freestyle087
146 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
113 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
57 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
51 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
143 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Some confused X Men actors think they won't be Recast :mjlol:
206 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
58 comments
2 days ago