Aug 1 - Adult kids living at home on the rise across the board

most viewed right now
Joe Budden says Eminem is using the Plight of Black People as a way to sell re..
80 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
40 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Benzino Speaks On Joe Budden's Opinion Of Eminem's Music
65 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 13 - Man is thrown 45 feet off bridge for intervening in couple's ..
44 comments
@news

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '10        #41
TiestoFriendly 6 heat pts
space
space
$15,363 | Props total: 14 14
This thread is kinda making me sad. I'm 18 right now so I'm younger than most of you but right now I'm in community college (and thank God I won't be in any debt once I get my a.ssociates degree) but after that I plan on getting a Bachelors so i'll only be living with my mom for one more year but then after that WTF am I gonna do? It sounds scary, the adult world. The real world out there. Gonna really have to struggle just to survive. Damn. I dunno just wher i'll move when I'm done with college but I know I can't do this New Jersey/New York thing for the rest of my life. The cost of living here is just too damn high Cost of living is much cheaper down south but I ain't about that southern lifestyle. I'm a city person. >_> I can walk to the store in five minutes, down south you gotta drive half an hour just to go grocery shopping
 5 years ago '06        #42
DominicanLou 17 heat pts17
space
space
$7,364 | Props total: 4635 4635
 TiestoFriendly said:
This thread is kinda making me sad. I'm 18 right now so I'm younger than most of you but right now I'm in community college (and thank God I won't be in any debt once I get my a.ssociates degree) but after that I plan on getting a Bachelors so i'll only be living with my mom for one more year but then after that WTF am I gonna do? It sounds scary, the adult world. The real world out there. Gonna really have to struggle just to survive. Damn. I dunno just wher i'll move when I'm done with college but I know I can't do this New Jersey/New York thing for the rest of my life. The cost of living here is just too damn high Cost of living is much cheaper down south but I ain't about that southern lifestyle. I'm a city person. >_> I can walk to the store in five minutes, down south you gotta drive half an hour just to go grocery shopping
Go to Portland or maybe Seattle.

You also have.....the rest of the world to live in too
 08-01-2012, 11:01 PM         #43
SOCIALITE 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
22 still live with my fam I don't think I would want to be gone even if I was rich. My family gets along great, nobody crowds anyone's space. No f!ghting. sh*t is chill is fu*k. My brother is my best friend, we talk basketball and music all day. I wouldn't have it any other way.
 5 years ago '07        #44
Ham Rove 3511 heat pts3511
space
space
$55,224 | Props total: 19963 19963
lots of kids are coming back home after college also, the job market is a large reason.
 08-01-2012, 11:28 PM         #45
Bigresse1486 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k that Raleigh gets it in number 99 huh dosnt seem like it but none of my g really lives with there dukes and or peoples anymore mfs down here kick that a.ss out at 18 plus u can get a apt in the hood for 650 water and elecrtic included for a two bedroom that wat i pay
 08-01-2012, 11:34 PM         #46
Killa Kwamz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I remember I could hardly wait to move out now I'm in this apt and want to move back to moms had it so good over there.

fu*k that tho fin to cop this house
 5 years ago '04        #47
killababi 31 heat pts31
space
space
$16,551 | Props total: 2656 2656
 TiestoFriendly said:
u describing the country tho, there are cities in those same states where u can find corner stores and groceries stores just as close.
 5 years ago '06        #48
Stupid Fresh 183 heat pts183
space
space
$24,225 | Props total: 5035 5035
save yall money

wish i stayed with my parents.. that is until I bring a bi*ch home and then I'm thankful I moved out
 5 years ago '05        #49
astroblack9 4 heat pts
space
space
$14,037 | Props total: 127 127
 phantomnation said:

[pic - click to view]

Whether in their 20s or 30s, black or white, in the West or Northeast, adult kids find there's no place like home when their finances are in a tailspin or their relationships in shambles.

The number of young adults ages 20 to 34 who lived with their parents jumped from 17% in 1980 to 24% in 2007-09 — the Great Recession— according to a detailed analysis out today.

The rise was sharpest among those under 25 — a new high of 43% vs. 32% in 1980 — but it increased largely across the board. Even among 30- to 34-year-olds, nearly one in 10 lived with parents.

"This 'Great Recession' has had tremendous effects that previous smaller recessions did not," says Zhenchao Qian, a sociology professor at Ohio State University and the author of the report for the US2010 Project, which studies trends in American society. "The surprise mostly is that it's increasing for every group."

The only segment not affected: young adults with graduate degrees. The share living with parents has stayed at 8% since 1980.

The number of kids never moving out or coming back after college or divorce had declined in the 1990s but increased faster during the last recession, which hit young adults the hardest. Unemployment among young workers has hovered above 12%.

Financial insecurity, coupled with massive student loan debt, has exacerbated another trend that might encourage some to live with their parents: delaying marriage and postponing having children.

The biggest impact has been on lower-income groups and the less educated. In 1980, 18% of young adults living with parents had a high school education. In 2007-09, it had jumped to 29%.

"Sometimes young people live at home for practical reasons," says Sally Koslow, author of Slouching Toward Adulthood: Observations From the Not-So-Empty Nest. "Sometimes it's for the lifestyle. They don't have to pay and have access to a full refrigerator."

Qian's research found:

•Metropolitan areas with a higher share of residents who are low-income, unmarried or young minorities have high rates of adult children at home. The Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Conn., region had the highest share of the 100 largest metros, at 34%.

"This is a case of families adapting to difficult circumstances," says Paul Taylor, director of the Pew Research Center's Social & Demographic Trends project. "Family is the ultimate social safety net."

High-cost areas such as New York (30%) and Los Angeles (28%), where doubling up can save money, also rank high on the list.

•Men are much more likely to live with parents than women, partly because they marry later.

"It's not the only reason," Qian says. "Compared with daughters, sons have fewer domestic responsibilities — such as cleaning and cooking — when they live home with parents."

•Non-Hispanic whites had the lowest percentage living with parents. Asians had the biggest jump (from 17% in 1980 to 26% in 2007-09). Qian attributes that to later marriages among Asians, cultural traditions and a greater likelihood to live in expensive regions.

Hispanics' rates were lower (24%), largely because many parents of immigrants do not live in the USA. Blacks (27%) and Native Americans (30%) had the highest.

Koslow says it has become far more socially acceptable for adult children to live at home for long periods of time.

She was recently asked to write a piece for Cosmopolitan: tips for women who date men who still live at home.

"I don't think young people feel any embarrassment or stigma," Koslow says.

Percent of young adults aged 25-29 living with parents, 2007-2009:

Highest

1. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Conn. (34%)
2. Honolulu (32%)
3. McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas (31%)
4. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach (31%)
5. New York-Northern N.J.-Long Island (30%)
6. Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, Calif. (28%)
7. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana (28%)
8. El Paso, Texas (28%)
9. Scranton-Wilkes-Barre, Pa. (27%)
10. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif. (26%)

Lowest

100. Des Moines-West Des Moines, Iowa (8%)
99. Raleigh-Cary, N.C. (9%)
98. Boise-Nampa, Ida. (9%)
97. Austin-Round Rock, Texas (10%)
96. Madison, Wis. (10%)
95. Columbus, Ohio (11%)
94. Omaha-Council Bluffs, Neb.-Iowa (12%)
93. Oklahoma City (12%)
92. Colorado Springs (12%)
91. Provo-Orem, Utah (12%)

Source:

[pic - click to view]

Im from the OX...its fu*kin ridiculous out here. Cant believe we're that high on the list...damn shame
 5 years ago '04        #50
The S-Word 
space
space
$3,678 | Props total: 1300 1300
 BlkHoodie88 said:

I Hear a lot of Excuses in this mutha phucka. If you mid 20's & still living with Moms time 2 man the phuck

up simple as that. I'm 24 with a full time job, my cars paid off, got 2 bedroom apt (shared with co-worker)

& come home to a well cooked meal from my lady. So save the" its hard out here because it can be done!"

Srry I had 2 vent bx a n*gga got kicked out @ 19 I haven't looked back since.......

I expected a post or three like this in this thread. Explain how people are supposed to' man the phuck up simple as that' if jobs are as hard to come by as they are? Like a few people have said, they're living at home because they have to (And, unlike your parent(s), they're apparently welcome to), not because they want to/are lazy/won't 'man the phuck up.' Hell, for all we know, you could've lucked out and got a good job and/or live in an area with more jobs than 'usual'
 5 years ago '10        #51
ReelCeasar 182 heat pts182
space
space
$6,029 | Props total: 4297 4297
fu*k this article..and fu*k the op...its hard out here for us young n*ggas mane
 08-02-2012, 01:01 AM         #52
LankanLatino 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
23 at home
 5 years ago '04        #53
King Kusanagi 36 heat pts36
space
space
$8,941 | Props total: 3140 3140
sh*t really is hard out here & Sallie & JP Morgan are the biggest Legit pimps ever. I don't stay with moms but I can understand how it is 100%. I don't look down on anybody cause at one time, I was out here looking for a job heavy. knocking on every door who was hiring but Interview after interview after interview, I didn't get the job. One point I thought I was doing or saying something wrong but I found out why...Like some ppl said, They have ppl with masters & Bachelors still looking for job or settled for a job that's not in their field for less pay. sh*t is no joke & everybody not fortunate as some.
 5 years ago '04        #54
young_al 
space
space
$1,385 | Props total: 88 88
This a good topic and I feel like this if your over 18 attending college/work I have respect for you.
Some people are not as lucky as others finding job opportunities. However, if you are staying with family its rules.

If your a.ss older than 21 got baby(ies) you need to man up consider getting your own sh*t and stop trying to project yourself to be image you cant afford.

If you work/small business/school you are a man. I do my dirt far away from home because at my age its disrespectful to use hotel grandma like that. My folks are nice they feel as long as I am trying or making some progress towards a goal they will not see me struggle. Just finish school, find a job, work on small business.

at my age I see alot of folks have failed young marriages, unhappy with children, and job. The early mid 20s crowd.

I trust nobody older than 21 because people have tendency to lie about they life living from reality.
I had a couple pregnancy scares. Tried to rush out of high school, and start my own music business thinking I would make it big time. I feel like I never really learned sh*t in high school, and college has delayed my adulthood. I see college as an investment into an idea, and if my plan works it can lead to financial freedom, world travel, and entrepreneurship. The reality is its tough out there when MBA/JD/PHDs have are doing sh*t out the abnormal to survive.

We just bailed out JP morgan, goldman sachs, and wall street but so many people from humble backgrounds doing bad.

Last edited by young_al; 08-02-2012 at 02:20 AM..
 5 years ago '08        #55
VerbalAssassin 100 heat pts100
space
space
$16,094 | Props total: 2715 2715
Percent of young adults aged 25-29 living with parents, 2007-2009:

Lowest

100. Des Moines-West Des Moines, Iowa (8%)
99. Raleigh-Cary, N.C. (9%)
98. Boise-Nampa, Ida. (9%)
97. Austin-Round Rock, Texas (10%) (Just moved here in May )
96. Madison, Wis. (10%)
95. Columbus, Ohio (11%)
94. Omaha-Council Bluffs, Neb.-Iowa (12%)
93. Oklahoma City (12%) (Born and raised )
92. Colorado Springs (12%)
91. Provo-Orem, Utah (12%)
29 and been living on my own since I stepped out of college in '06. To y'all saying there isn't any work, where are you looking? What did you decide on as a career path?
 08-02-2012, 08:43 AM         #56
KrayzieCMB 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I recently had to move back in with my parents for a bit and I'm getting closer to 30. I have medical issues myself and am off on disability so can't really afford to live on my own right now. This just isn't in the U.S. though, here in Canada the exact same trend is happening.
 5 years ago '07        #57
ham00di 30 heat pts30
space
space
$1,434 | Props total: 3 3
 Fras1788 said:
"I don't think young people feel any embarrassment or stigma," Koslow says."

Wow....

ITS NOT ABOUT EMBARRASSMENT....Its about no jobs, no money, rising rent, rising costs to live, rising gas prices so it costs more just to get to work, inflation so your dollar is worthless, and food costs going through the roof, and toilet paper costing more than a T-Bone steak.

Its also not about "oh kewl I have less responsibility living at home I'm just gonna stay here for the rest of my life" fu*k OFF.

I live at home because I have to, not because I want to.

Rich pieces of fu*king trash
couldnt have said it any better myself, its so expensive to live outside the house. the only people i know that do that at a young age are students and thats because of the loans they are given, as soon as that stops they all return back home looking for jobs that dont exist.
 08-02-2012, 10:28 AM         #58
ManWithoutFear! 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
This thread smh
I cant knock it I guess. Ima grown a.ss n*gga. I cant be living at home with my moms.
Sheeeit. I cant live with anyone. I love being on MY OWN.

But yo...

What do yall do when its time to get pu$$y?
Hotels? Friends pad?

Last edited by ManWithoutFear!; 08-02-2012 at 10:39 AM..
 5 years ago '07        #59
MissStush88 1 heat pts
space
space
$903 | Props total: 4 4
This might be the first SERIOUS thread ive eva come across. The struggle is real!
I'm about to start working on my Masters just to get out the crib. I just graduated in Dec and the rents look at me like i aint sh*t. Thankfully i just got a job but aside from that ive just been cleanin folks cribs and babysitting to get by.

That REFUND CHECK wouldve pretty much been my livelihood if i didnt get hired.

I dont sh*t on folks living at home at all cuz most nowadays are not there by choice. Post grad life is THE ULTIMATE struggle
 5 years ago '12        #60
Prostyle 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,447 | Props total: 956 956
You can't find a decent 1 bedroom apt in LA for less than 1300… landlords want you to make 3 times the monthly rent, the average kid out of college ain't making 20k alone year let a 40k b, catch 22 in full effect

Last edited by Prostyle; 08-02-2012 at 10:56 AM..
Home      

most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
35 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
71 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
288 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
95 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
DMV Niggas Get In Here (DC/MD/VA)
93 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
129 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
242 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
55 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy