Aug 1 - Adult kids living at home on the rise across the board

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
116 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
60 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
101 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
60 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #1
9221 pageviews
168 comments

phantomnation 2093 heat pts2093
space
space
$6,493 | Props total: 18765 18765
Aug 1 - Adult kids living at home on the rise across the board

[pic - click to view]

Whether in their 20s or 30s, black or white, in the West or Northeast, adult kids find there's no place like home when their finances are in a tailspin or their relationships in shambles.

The number of young adults ages 20 to 34 who lived with their parents jumped from 17% in 1980 to 24% in 2007-09 — the Great Recession— according to a detailed analysis out today.

The rise was sharpest among those under 25 — a new high of 43% vs. 32% in 1980 — but it increased largely across the board. Even among 30- to 34-year-olds, nearly one in 10 lived with parents.

"This 'Great Recession' has had tremendous effects that previous smaller recessions did not," says Zhenchao Qian, a sociology professor at Ohio State University and the author of the report for the US2010 Project, which studies trends in American society. "The surprise mostly is that it's increasing for every group."

The only segment not affected: young adults with graduate degrees. The share living with parents has stayed at 8% since 1980.

The number of kids never moving out or coming back after college or divorce had declined in the 1990s but increased faster during the last recession, which hit young adults the hardest. Unemployment among young workers has hovered above 12%.

Financial insecurity, coupled with massive student loan debt, has exacerbated another trend that might encourage some to live with their parents: delaying marriage and postponing having children.

The biggest impact has been on lower-income groups and the less educated. In 1980, 18% of young adults living with parents had a high school education. In 2007-09, it had jumped to 29%.

"Sometimes young people live at home for practical reasons," says Sally Koslow, author of Slouching Toward Adulthood: Observations From the Not-So-Empty Nest. "Sometimes it's for the lifestyle. They don't have to pay and have access to a full refrigerator."

Qian's research found:

•Metropolitan areas with a higher share of residents who are low-income, unmarried or young minorities have high rates of adult children at home. The Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Conn., region had the highest share of the 100 largest metros, at 34%.

"This is a case of families adapting to difficult circumstances," says Paul Taylor, director of the Pew Research Center's Social & Demographic Trends project. "Family is the ultimate social safety net."

High-cost areas such as New York (30%) and Los Angeles (28%), where doubling up can save money, also rank high on the list.

•Men are much more likely to live with parents than women, partly because they marry later.

"It's not the only reason," Qian says. "Compared with daughters, sons have fewer domestic responsibilities — such as cleaning and cooking — when they live home with parents."

•Non-Hispanic whites had the lowest percentage living with parents. Asians had the biggest jump (from 17% in 1980 to 26% in 2007-09). Qian attributes that to later marriages among Asians, cultural traditions and a greater likelihood to live in expensive regions.

Hispanics' rates were lower (24%), largely because many parents of immigrants do not live in the USA. Blacks (27%) and Native Americans (30%) had the highest.

Koslow says it has become far more socially acceptable for adult children to live at home for long periods of time.

She was recently asked to write a piece for Cosmopolitan: tips for women who date men who still live at home.

"I don't think young people feel any embarrassment or stigma," Koslow says.

Percent of young adults aged 25-29 living with parents, 2007-2009:

Highest

1. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Conn. (34%)
2. Honolulu (32%)
3. McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, Texas (31%)
4. Miami-Fort Lauderdale-Pompano Beach (31%)
5. New York-Northern N.J.-Long Island (30%)
6. Oxnard-Thousand Oaks-Ventura, Calif. (28%)
7. Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana (28%)
8. El Paso, Texas (28%)
9. Scranton-Wilkes-Barre, Pa. (27%)
10. Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario, Calif. (26%)

Lowest

100. Des Moines-West Des Moines, Iowa (8%)
99. Raleigh-Cary, N.C. (9%)
98. Boise-Nampa, Ida. (9%)
97. Austin-Round Rock, Texas (10%)
96. Madison, Wis. (10%)
95. Columbus, Ohio (11%)
94. Omaha-Council Bluffs, Neb.-Iowa (12%)
93. Oklahoma City (12%)
92. Colorado Springs (12%)
91. Provo-Orem, Utah (12%)

Source:
[pic - click to view]

USAToday

[pic - click to view]

168 comments for "Aug 1 - Adult kids living at home on the rise across the board"

5 years ago '04        #2
J.BEEZY 10 heat pts10
space
space
$8,323 | Props total: 2472 2472
i had to move back once for a min, sh*t wasnt that bad i just felt like a bum

so i got out
 5 years ago '05        #3
MemphBleek05 47 heat pts47
space
space
$10,230 | Props total: 8825 8825
 Fras1788 said:
"I don't think young people feel any embarrassment or stigma," Koslow says."

Wow....

ITS NOT ABOUT EMBARRASSMENT....Its about no jobs, no money, rising rent, rising costs to live, rising gas prices so it costs more just to get to work, inflation so your dollar is worthless, and food costs going through the roof, and toilet paper costing more than a T-Bone steak.

Its also not about "oh kewl I have less responsibility living at home I'm just gonna stay here for the rest of my life" fu*k OFF.

I live at home because I have to, not because I want to.

Rich pieces of fu*king trash
Could not have said it better.....
 08-01-2012, 01:59 PM         #4
Silver N Black 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
it's a good way to get your money up, then you move out. If you aren't stacking though
 5 years ago '04        #5
deziking 81 heat pts81
space
space
$19,554 | Props total: 5213 5213
I wanna smack this f*ggot who wrote up this article.
 08-01-2012, 02:36 PM         #6
NVmystyle 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Im 22 still home with momdukes, but its to help her out cuz economy had her with that everyday struggle .. she too old to hav her stressin bout bills... and i aint ballin enough to pay for 2 cribs mine and hers
 08-01-2012, 02:38 PM         #7
NVmystyle 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Ft Laudy 31% we in this biitch!
 5 years ago '05        #8
A-Dot 25 heat pts25
space
space
$1,840 | Props total: 792 792
No one should feel embarrassed of living at home. As long as you're at least trying to do something with your life or be productive in a positive way. The world we live in today in the U.S. is kinda designed for us to fail but its up to individuals to persevere with the odds against us. #timesishardontheblvd
 5 years ago '09        #9
HennyHeat 6 heat pts
space
space
$7,394 | Props total: 632 632
 Fras1788 said:
"I don't think young people feel any embarrassment or stigma," Koslow says."

Wow....

ITS NOT ABOUT EMBARRASSMENT....Its about no jobs, no money, rising rent, rising costs to live, rising gas prices so it costs more just to get to work, inflation so your dollar is worthless, and food costs going through the roof, and toilet paper costing more than a T-Bone steak.

Its also not about "oh kewl I have less responsibility living at home I'm just gonna stay here for the rest of my life" fu*k OFF.

Rich pieces of fu*king trash
Ya I'm 26 been at home since after college

Stayin home definitely helped me save up money and all from working... But Cost of Living is ridiculous... I also had a job 5 minutes from where I lived

I did not want to live at home at all but with the cost of living in this world the sensible thing is to stay at home and not live everyday on your last penny

The way expenses are out here and I'm saying this as a person with no kids and family to take care of... I don't know how people survive out here... It's nearly impossible for some people not to live in debt

I will be moving out in the fall though got a new job in NYC and can't wait to escape home finally

No one WANTS to live home... Its a Cole World
 5 years ago '05        #10
QualityRecords 8 heat pts
space
space
$15,108 | Props total: 1550 1550
I don't laugh or make fun of anyone that stays with their parent(s). The economy sucks and everything is too damn expensive. If I wasn't married I would consider living with my parents. Since I moved out both of them have gotten better jobs that pay really well so they're living good right about now.
 5 years ago '11        #11
KeithClark 10 heat pts10
space
space
$4,458 | Props total: 122 122
I've moved in and out 7 times since I graduated high school in 2008 life has been hard as fu*k for me lived on the streets all across Florida for 11 months; I'm on welfare today is August 1st and I've officially been unemployed for an entire year; moving to Louisiana in a few months to go to Job Corp and work as an offshore roustabout ($50k a year job) praying the 8th time will be my last. - Keith Clark
 5 years ago '04        #12
Tic Toc 7 heat pts
space
space
$6,166 | Props total: 876 876
 Fras1788 said:

That was my philosophy when i lived at home...and its truth...

i just had to get out because I got sick of coming home and hearing the Isley brothers bumpin from around the corner and opening the door to them all hugged up and slow dancin and sh*t
 5 years ago '07        #13
cankstoochie 48 heat pts48
space
space
$16,585 | Props total: 1051 1051
this thread is #reallife
 5 years ago '07        #14
KeepinItTrill 30 heat pts30
space
space
$49,200 | Props total: 15035 15035
 HennyHeat said:
Ya I'm 26 been at home since after college

Stayin home definitely helped me save up money and all from working... But Cost of Living is ridiculous... I also had a job 5 minutes from where I lived

I did not want to live at home at all but with the cost of living in this world the sensible thing is to stay at home and not live everyday on your last penny

The way expenses are out here and I'm saying this as a person with no kids and family to take care of... I don't know how people survive out here... It's nearly impossible for some people not to live in debt

I will be moving out in the fall though got a new job in NYC and can't wait to escape home finally

No one WANTS to live home... Its a Cole World
uh...
 5 years ago '09        #15
A2P89 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,488 | Props total: 54 54
 Tic Toc said:
That was my philosophy when i lived at home...and its truth...

i just had to get out because I got sick of coming home and hearing the Isley brothers bumpin from around the corner and opening the door to them all hugged up and slow dancin and sh*t
pops was trying to beat those cheeks
 5 years ago '11        #16
dgamer101 3 heat pts
space
space
$1,130 | Props total: 1637 1637
Im gonna be at home til I'm like 25 cuz of college.

Just for summers and breaks though.
 5 years ago '06        #17
TheKastOne 
space
space
$2,083 | Props total: 270 270
All these posts are fu*ked up but true, I do make fun of friends who live with their parents, but lightly for laughs :D. I understand that society has molded itself into hard place to live for many. I make a good living and live on my own with a 3 year old baby girl, I lived at my parents place a few years back to get on my feet and now I am.

I make 50k a year, take home 36k. Sallie Mae at my door for 950 bucks a month, student loans were one of the biggest fu*k ups of my life. When I wasn't working, Sallie Mae was at my door for like 350 too, they don't give a fu*k. I won't even mention the interest rates.

That J. Cole song though I could really relate to.

[video - click to view]

Last edited by TheKastOne; 08-01-2012 at 06:05 PM..
 5 years ago '09        #18
ImAMonster 407 heat pts407
space
space
$37,406 | Props total: 10530 10530
The economy is fu*ked. Most of these parents got retirement, disability, etc. It's hard enough to get a job, and because of that the crime rate is up, amongst a sh*tload of other negative things. I'm not saying that's a reason to live at home with your parents, though. But sometimes the circumstances just don't fit for you to move on your own.
 5 years ago '05        #19
zogby 42 heat pts42
space
space
$2,131 | Props total: 26 26
Stay at home - dont pay rent and save up to buy a house
vs
Rent a house and pay another persons house off.
 5 years ago '04        #20
enetblazin4eva 4 heat pts
space
space
$11,116 | Props total: 597 597
I Own two properties and live in my fams-families home, fu*k this article.....

Majority of the people I know whom live at home have good jobs but are still saving for a 25% down payment for some real estate.
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
87 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
75 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
79 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
70 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
296 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joyner Lucas responds back to criticisms of “I’m not racist”
103 comments
1 day ago