Im From The Hood Part II: I Used To Get Shoes From Payless...

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
100 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
44 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
80 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
26 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '08        #121
Sowhat 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,571 | Props total: 1 1
I remember my moms got me a fake starter Jacket. Cowboys at that. I'm an Eagles fan and so are most people in my area.

I left that sh*t at the football field. I got home told my mom somebody stole that sh*t.
 5 years ago '07        #122
Avon_Barksdale 4341 heat pts4341 OP
space
space
$42,442 | Props total: 55887 55887
 Sowhat said:
I remember my moms got me a fake starter Jacket. Cowboys at that. I'm an Eagles fan and so are most people in my area.

I left that sh*t at the football field. I got home told my mom somebody stole that sh*t.
 5 years ago '05        #123
pele20 3 heat pts
space
space
$923 | Props total: 236 236
I wore payless all the time... If i couldnt afford better shoes today, i would still rock some payless shoes...

[IMG]http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/gallery/and-not-a-single-fu*k-was-given-that-day/and-not-a-single-fu*k-was-given-that-day-black-soccer-player.jpg[/IMG]
 5 years ago '04        #124
BackBlock_OG 34 heat pts34
space
space
$6,958 | Props total: 1094 1094
 Monoblock said:
I'm from the hood but never had to go to Payless. Nike's and Adidas since birth. I never clowned people who wore XJ-900s though. I never was that type. Some people had it worse than others and I always took that into consideration.
^This, the cheapest shoes I ever rocked were some Ewings. My moms kept a n*gga fly, stuntin on these n*ggaz and hoes. All my homeboys used to think I was hood rich.

"backblock was fly, they used to steal my gear"
 5 years ago '11        #125
darealvelle 96 heat pts96
space
space
$7,877 | Props total: 4470 4470
I never wore sh*t from payless. But my folks did shop at famous footwear and rackroom shoes.
 5 years ago '10        #126
anthonyperl 5 heat pts
space
space
$1,122 | Props total: 1 1
 1994Nuisance said:
I had a few pair of Wal Mart shoes back in like 4th Grade

Told everybody they cost $200, and they believed me
nobody believed you bruh, they just said they did
 5 years ago '11        #127
BuckedCrazy 46 heat pts46
space
space
$5,048 | Props total: 1513 1513
My parents didn't buy shoes from there except LA gears,I remember my mom use to get the shoe polish and shine n*ggas shoes up
 5 years ago '05        #128
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,234 | Props total: 9632 9632
my mom couldn't afford nikes apparently when i was in the 7th grade.... i had to wear Sega Sports shoes with the strap and Sonic The Hedgehog on the side... plus the L.A. gears and British Knights.........................

from that day forth i promised myself i'd never want for nothing ever again. i love my mom for working so hard for all of us.
 5 years ago '04        #129
Lavares 19 heat pts19
space
space
$10,387 | Props total: 28 28
The Right Shoes Equal Acceptance

Gabriela Basulto

Children are the epitome of innocence and, at the same time, ignorance. In growing up, the evils and ills of society begin to filter into our minds and rectify our behavior. Simultaneously, we learn what "can" and "can't" be done, and what is "acceptable" or "unacceptable." Sometimes the reality of social conditions are not realized until someone bluntly and oftentimes purposely points it out. I was ignorant of my impoverished social condition until I was humiliated and taught to be ashamed of who I was. Later, I learned how to use that terrible experience to make myself a stronger person and acknowledge that personal value has nothing to do with material objects.

When I was a child, I had never noticed that there were social and economic divisions within society. I knew there were things I could not have, but I never knew why I could not have them. Later on, I learned why. It was because there was not enough money to go around. For me, every new shoe was a Payless Shoe Source shoe. All of my clothes came from K-Mart, but then again "Didn't everyone shop at K-Mart?" My naiveté could only be justified by my age. I never noticed what brand of clothing or shoes I wore, that is, until somebody made it obvious to me.

I was nine years old as the end of summer was nearing, and fall would give way to my fourth grade year. In my family there were five children, four of them ready to begin a new school year, and all four needing new shoes, clothes, and supplies. My mother was raising us as a single parent, so bargain-hunting was not an option, but a way of life. Our transportation anywhere was a SMART bus number eleven which would take us to the only two places we ever went shopping: K-Mart and Payless Shoe Source.

Our first stop, and the only important one on my agenda, was the shoe store. My mother cautiously unloaded her squabbling brood of children, making sure nobody was left behind, and made everyone hold each other's hands to cross the street, an activity not at all favored by my eldest brother because he adamantly believed girls had chronic cooties. Amidst accusations of "You pulled my hair!" and "You stepped on my foot!" my mother was able to corral us into the shoe store. It was a more spectacular sight than I had remembered. Shoes everywhere! All styles and colors to choose from too! I was obviously in heaven. Instantly, my eyes went to a pair of laced, not velcro mind you, white Pro Wing tennis shoes, and I knew they were perfect for me. New shoes! That meant I did not have to struggle stuffing my sock back in through the hole on the side of my old shoes. That meant I could go out and play in the rain if I wanted to without getting my feet soaked. But most of all, it meant I did not have to hide my feet because my shoes were old, tattered, and smelly. This year was going to be different than any other year; I could just feel it.

I was going into the fourth grade that year, and I was happier than a worm in a basket full of apples. Fourth grade was a big step up from third grade. In fourth grade, I did not have to share a glue bottle because I got one of my own. Most importantly, I got to use pointed-tip scissors, and not the blunt-tipped scissors of third grade. As I could tell, fourth grade was a big event, and what made it bigger was that I was in a new school, and I got to ride the bus! What more could a nine-year-old ask out of life. I had new shoes, a new school, and new school transportation. I was ready for anything, or so I thought.

The day I had so anxiously been awaiting had finally come, and I woke up extra early because I did not want anything to go wrong. I boarded the bus and greeted friends from the previous school year and made new friends. My day had started on the right track. I entered my new classroom and saw a few familiar faces, but not many. I looked for the desk with my name on it, and when I found it, I quietly sat down. It was five minutes before the bell rang that it happened. Jerome, the class bully, sneered and shriveled up his face as if in utter disgust while pointing at my nice new white shoes and said, "She's wearing Pro Wings!" In a flash everyone in class turned around to look at my $9.99 special Payless Shoe Source shoes. I looked down as well to see if I had stepped on anything or if I had laced them wrong, but everything was perfect. Then, when he said it again, I noticed that Pro Wings was what the logo on the side of my shoe said. I didn't understand what the fuss was about. When I heard murmurs of "cheap shoes... eew, Pro Wings," I realized that wearing Pro Wings was not "acceptable." I looked around at the people who had pointed and laughed to see what kind of shoes they were wearing. Sure enough, they were wearing Nike, Fila, Reebok, L.A. Gear, British Knights, and all other kinds of expensive shoes.

A great feeling or shame and embarrassment came over me because the children whose families had more money were mocking my poverty, and those who were also wearing Pro Wings looked away as if fearful that their $9.99 special Pro Wings would be discovered and would be the new center of attention. For the first time in my life, I felt like an outcast and felt the full weight of my low socio-economic condition over my head. I waited to see when the novelty of my Pro Wing shoes was going to wear off, but it did not. I spent the rest of the fourth grade hiding my shoes under my chair or covering them with my sweater. I did not know I was poor until that day in the fourth grade.

As time progressed, I got over the shoe incident and eventually went on to wear Nike shoes. I realized, though, that whether I was wearing Nike or Pro Wing shoes did not matter because, regardless of that, I was the same person. I came to terms with the fact that I didn't have as much money as others, but that did not mean that I was less than a person. The fact that our society is extremely materialistic was the culprit of my suffering in the fourth grade. Although at the time of the incident I felt my world had been destroyed, time helped heal the self-esteem of the poor and alienated nine-year-old who sat in class hiding her $9.99 special Pro Wings.
 5 years ago '11        #130
Trolling 64 heat pts64
space
space
$1,947 | Props total: 56 56
 1994Nuisance said:
I had a few pair of Wal Mart shoes back in like 4th Grade

Told everybody they cost $200, and they believed me
 5 years ago '05        #131
Da Gooneyz 5 heat pts
space
space
$8,042 | Props total: 817 817
 FlippiN Oz's said:
Can't find a picture but I had the payless knockoffs of the Jordan 8's
 5 years ago '11        #132
Trolling 64 heat pts64
space
space
$1,947 | Props total: 56 56
Did not get my first pair of Nikes till 5th grade .
 5 years ago '06        #133
NCAT_Boi 1 heat pts
space
space
$1,518 | Props total: 19 19
never had to wear shoes from payless, but we would get one pair of sneakers every semester, and had to keep them sombi*ches clean. i remember having a pair of black/turquoise Diamond Fury Griffey's from The Athlete's Foot. And the blue patent leather Iverson's from Marshall's.

My brother bought me a pair of the Columbia 11's for my birthday one year in high school. I had one pair of Air Forces (will never buy another pair). Some Reebok ATR's, and some Fila's. Used to just change the shoe strings to match the shirt.
 07-28-2012, 09:39 PM         #134
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 BackBlock_OG said:
^This, the cheapest shoes I ever rocked were some Ewings. My moms kept a n*gga fly, stuntin on these n*ggaz and hoes. All my homeboys used to think I was hood rich.

"backblock was fly, they used to steal my gear"
real sh*t, moms was like that to....

She'll put her children first before she'll get her something. That's why on mothers day I give her some top notch sh*t.
 07-28-2012, 09:40 PM         #135
BENGALSfan 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Had js on my feet since I came out the womb
 5 years ago '09        #136
ReggieA 196 heat pts196
space
space
$41,639 | Props total: 2745 2745
I had to rock payless also, never ever had Jordans when we were kids. I did have some Reebok Classics, the white ones, when Converse came out with the new Chucks, and when Puma started getting big
 5 years ago '04        #137
marcchrome 42 heat pts42
space
space
$11,740 | Props total: 2402 2402
 arthurmack27 said:
yall frontin muthafu*kas, acting like some of yall didnt grow up broke. im proud of my past, no matter how bad it seemed at the time. lol. all i know is being seen in payless by ur friends was like being seen at the grocery store on the 1st with 2 baskets full of sh*t. and in my day there was no fu*kin EBT card to play off like it was a debit card, just food stamps. shieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. yall takin me back. lol

xj-900s - payless
faded glory -wal mart
jerseys of n*ggas no longer on the team - any surplus store or 90% rack
canned meats and blocks of cheese that u couldnt slice - welfare
rtd - old school los angeles bus system
nintendo u had to sit on its side, cartridges u blew in to make work
putting foil on the antenna for reception cus i didnt have cable
heavy swapmeet skateboards w/he big pink gumball wheels (was always pink and green )

although i grew up poor, my moms would still cop me name brand kicks, had to make them bi*ches last though do not get sh*t fu*ked up. but the above statements are very similiar to how i grew up. very humbling words.

Last edited by marcchrome; 07-28-2012 at 10:01 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #138
curry_boi04 
space
space
$295 | Props total: 2 2
idk bout that life it was strictly J's and Nikes my grandma spoiled me
 5 years ago '10        #139
Jinusean 5 heat pts
space
space
$3,287 | Props total: 10 10
n*ggas use to clown me for wearing a couple knock offs back in the day.... 5 years later after high school, half of them are either in debt or homeless
 07-28-2012, 10:37 PM         #140
Twelve 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Shmiddy said:
light up payless shoes >>>>
Hell yeah. Lights would go in those shoes after a week. Same with the pumps. Return them sh*ts and get another pair.

Back when you just return stuff and didnt need a receipt. I miss those days.
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
81 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 10 - Putin: America Is Godless, Has Turned Away from Christian Values
130 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
297 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
audio inside Quavo & Lil Yachty “Ice Tray” (Joe Budden Diss)
76 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Kodi addon site TVAddons to stop proactively checking for piracy
26 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Time Traveler Came From 4127 To Get Away From Child Support
48 comments
1 day ago