most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
80 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
70 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '05        #1
9534 pageviews
94 comments

DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,830 | Props total: 4096 4096
Christopher Nolan's farewell letter to the Batman Franchise

No prefacing from me. This letter appears in the book "The Art & Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy".

Alfred. Gordon. Lucius. Bruce . . . Wayne. Names that have come to mean so much to me. Today, I’m three weeks from saying a final good-bye to these characters and their world. It’s my son’s ninth birthday. He was born as the Tumbler was being glued together in my garage from random parts of model kits. Much time, many changes. A shift from sets where some gunplay or a helicopter were extraordinary events to working days where crowds of extras, building demolitions, or mayhem thousands of feet in the air have become familiar.

People ask if we’d always planned a trilogy. This is like being asked whether you had planned on growing up, getting married, having kids. The answer is complicated. When David and I first started cracking open Bruce’s story, we flirted with what might come after, then backed away, not wanting to look too deep into the future. I didn’t want to know everything that Bruce couldn’t; I wanted to live it with him. I told David and Jonah to put everything they knew into each film as we made it. The entire cast and crew put all they had into the first film. Nothing held back. Nothing saved for next time. They built an entire city. Then Christian and Michael and Gary and Morgan and Liam and Cillian started living in it. Christian bit off a big chunk of Bruce Wayne’s life and made it utterly compelling. He took us into a pop icon’s mind and never let us notice for an instant the fanciful nature of Bruce’s methods.

I never thought we’d do a second—how many good sequels are there? Why roll those dice? But once I knew where it would take Bruce, and when I started to see glimpses of the antagonist, it became essential. We re-assembled the team and went back to Gotham. It had changed in three years. Bigger. More real. More modern. And a new force of chaos was coming to the fore. The ultimate scary clown, as brought to terrifying life by Heath. We’d held nothing back, but there were things we hadn’t been able to do the first time out—a Batsuit with a flexible neck, shooting on Imax. And things we’d chickened out on—destroying the Batmobile, burning up the villain’s blood money to show a complete disregard for conventional motivation. We took the supposed security of a sequel as license to throw caution to the wind and headed for the darkest corners of Gotham.

I never thought we’d do a third—are there any great second sequels? But I kept wondering about the end of Bruce’s journey, and once David and I discovered it, I had to see it for myself. We had come back to what we had barely dared whisper about in those first days in my garage. We had been making a trilogy. I called everyone back together for another tour of Gotham. Four years later, it was still there. It even seemed a little cleaner, a little more polished. Wayne Manor had been rebuilt. Familiar faces were back—a little older, a little wiser . . . but not all was as it seemed.

Gotham was rotting away at its foundations. A new evil bubbling up from beneath. Bruce had thought Batman was not needed anymore, but Bruce was wrong, just as I had been wrong. The Batman had to come back. I suppose he always will.

Michael, Morgan, Gary, Cillian, Liam, Heath, Christian . . . Bale. Names that have come to mean so much to me. My time in Gotham, looking after one of the greatest and most enduring figures in pop culture, has been the most challenging and rewarding experience a filmmaker could hope for. I will miss the Batman. I like to think that he’ll miss me, but he’s never been particularly sentimental.

[pic - click to view]

Read Christopher Nolan’s Farewell Letter to the Batman Franchise | Collider

94 comments for "Christopher Nolan's farewell letter to the Batman Franchise"

07-24-2012, 05:44 PM         #2
endless lies 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Da gawd.

(edit: you LOVE stealing .gifs from other peoples' posts, don't you Michael? )
 5 years ago '11        #3
dom 30 heat pts30
space
space
space
$8,349 | Props total: 204 204
Thanks Nolan
 5 years ago '11        #4
dom 30 heat pts30
space
space
space
 Se7en said:
Man I'm going to miss looking forward to the next Nolan Batman movie. Luckily he blessed us with 3 amazing movies. Thank you based Nolan
look forward to that Blu Ray Collectors Edition boxed Trilogy
 5 years ago '05        #5
P DRILLA 103 heat pts103
space
space
$10,675 | Props total: 6426 6426
 DominationCM said:
 5 years ago '04        #6
CTre 22 heat pts22
space
space
$33,267 | Props total: 2837 2837
Its a new day!!

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '11        #7
dom 30 heat pts30
space
space
space
 CTre said:
Its a new day!!

[pic - click to view]

I'm not even going to compare the 2 its not fair to Zack
 5 years ago '12        #8
DireWolf07 4 heat pts
space
space
$2,759 | Props total: 1007 1007

DominationCM said:
 5 years ago '04        #9
CTre 22 heat pts22
space
space
$33,267 | Props total: 2837 2837
 Michael 1987 said:

I cannot wait for this.
 5 years ago '04        #10
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
$16,980 | Props total: 4321 4321
 DaOmega_1 said:

No prefacing from me. This letter appears in the book "The Art & Making of The Dark Knight Trilogy".

5 years ago '05        #11
CTR 376 heat pts376
space
space
$2,976 | Props total: 5 5
 DominationCM said:
................ can't wait for this to drop
 5 years ago '04        #12
iMaGrOWNassMAN! 
space
space
$3,543 | Props total: 0 0
I need that gotdamn book.
 5 years ago '07        #13
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,775 | Props total: 14587 14587

[pic - click to view]

He did justice to the franchise but I'm so glad he's done with it. Leave on a high note, don't milk the franchise, and start working on original stuff.
 5 years ago '11        #14
PotheadFocker 169 heat pts169
space
space
$33,318 | Props total: 8443 8443
So when does the Nightwing trilogy begin?

[pic - click to view]

In all seriousness, thank you Based Nolan
 5 years ago '04        #15
Explicit 239 heat pts239
space
space
$10,091 | Props total: 2393 2393
 5 years ago '07        #16
ptwist 43 heat pts43
space
space
$16,099 | Props total: 6302 6302
The GOD with the flawless movie record leaves on a high note.

Goat.
 07-24-2012, 09:24 PM         #17
@RG3 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TH35 said:

[pic - click to view]

He did justice to the franchise but I'm so glad he's done with it. Leave on a high note, don't milk the franchise, and start working on original stuff.
leave on a high note? if he did another batman he would still k!ll it.. hes in the zone.. should do one more and wrap the story and k!ll batman off.. even though he already had his legit chance.
 5 years ago '06        #18
kyh0mpb 11 heat pts11
space
space
$3,011 | Props total: 4 4
He probably would k!ll it if he made another, but I think this is a great place to stop. Let him work on original ideas. Stopping after a trilogy is logical.
 5 years ago '04        #19
NBA Brawler 112 heat pts112
space
space
$17,560 | Props total: 2413 2413

DominationCM said:
First day cop
 5 years ago '09        #20
DesertEagle 48 heat pts48
space
space
$7,981 | Props total: 1851 1851
 DominationCM said:
Just take my money now
Home      

most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
202 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
167 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden man is in tears after getting robbed of $20,000 by his friends..
90 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
188 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
227 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
261 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
90 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Matt Barnes retires
52 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy