DJ Premier Says Age Is One Of The Biggest Problems In Today's Hip Hop

most viewed right now
Elle Duncan got Cari Champion the F outta here!
45 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Nobody pulling out of Jesenia Echeverria :noahohno:
51 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside I Wanna Fu** U Hard On The Sink, After That, Give U Sumthin 2 Drink
59 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Drake Says He's With The GOAT
126 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #21
ChickBoss414 27 heat pts27
space
space
$1,547 | Props total: 318 318
 P Griff said:
Primo >>> these wack a.ss producers

One of the GREATEST to ever do it!
 5 years ago '04        #22
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,365 | Props total: 6376 6376
as much as people want to say that most rappers are in their 30s...do any of them really act like they are in their mid to late 30's
 5 years ago '07        #23
Deniro732 8 heat pts
space
space
$13,617 | Props total: 2456 2456
premierrrrr
 5 years ago '06        #24
jaycee 39 heat pts39
space
space
space
$9,350 | Props total: 827 827
Can someone post a new premo beat thats dope?..I'm curious to hear one
 5 years ago '05        #25
b_eazy 61 heat pts61
space
space
$17,665 | Props total: 2313 2313
 s7venwords said:

ďI think people have to be not so self-centered when it comes to the presentation of the music meaning donít get boggled down with the corporate radio and all that stuff,Ē said Bumpy Knuckles. ďI mean that stuff is definitely necessary you canít front on that, but thatís not what itís all about. Because if you really about keeping the culture alive and relevant thereís ways to do that.Ē
Realest sh*t I read....

Why the fu*k would people who work hard for their money, working a 9-5 everyday, want to keep hearing about how they get 50k per show, mansions, multiple exotic cars, various dymes daily and how they fu*ked "your girl."

sh*t is rediculous, copy cat and repetitive n*ggas, thats that sh*t I dont like.

07-24-2012, 04:50 PM         #26
Hotboy1982  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 justinjones said:
as much as people want to say that most rappers are in their 30s...do any of them really act like they are in their mid to late 30's
Exactly, because a lot of them don't, when you see Ye or Ross on tv, you tend to somewhat forget that they're in their thirties and up. I think as long as you make relevant music and has somethig to appeal to the masses without contradicting yourself , then you would be straight. Like you can find a medium/balance to where you're reaching your demographic without coming off as out of touch or trying to be touch with the younger audience either.
 5 years ago '06        #27
marcusaka50 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$29,620 | Props total: 8552 8552
I agree with premo age shouldn't matter but from a personal opinion age is factor.

rap is not better than r & B or anything that has to do with singing.

you got maxwell/sade who take a decade off and comeback and drop classic albums.

I think for the most part I haven't heard any classic rap music from an artist 35+ yet.

Jayz makes relevant music not classic sh*t and he will continue to make money but its not about that.
 5 years ago '06        #28
jaycee 39 heat pts39
space
space
space
$9,350 | Props total: 827 827
 marcusaka50 said:
I agree with premo age shouldn't matter but from a personal opinion age is factor.

rap is not better than r & B or anything that has to do with singing.

you got maxwell/sade who take a decade off and comeback and drop classic albums.

I think for the most part I haven't heard any classic rap music from an artist 35+ yet.

Jayz makes relevant music not classic sh*t and he will continue to make money but its not about that.
NAS just dropped a gem
 5 years ago '04        #29
teekarow 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,250 | Props total: 716 716
 ChickBoss414 said:
-- Its not AGE, as much as it is AGEISM.

*Ageism is a form of discrimination which is based on someone's chronological age. Many people use this term specifically to refer to discrimination against older people, but ageism can strike people of all ages. Like other forms of discrimination, ageism can be extremely harmful, especially when it is viewed as culturally normal and acceptable.

*age∑ism  [ey-jiz-uhm] noun
1. discrimination against persons of a certain age group.

2. a tendency to regard older persons as debilitated, unworthy of attention, or unsuitable for employment.

American culture is predicated on the idea that as we get older, we are not able to be as fashionable, trendy, or marketable-- ESPECIALLY IN THE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT WHERE THEY SELL THE FANTASIES OF (ETERNAL) BEAUTY AND (ETERNAL) YOUTH.

Consider the idea that we send our elders to senior living homes in this country, and the practices of other cultures/countries is to let the parent/elder reside with the family and not cast them off....

Rap music is not excluded from this phenomenon as we tend to lay our elders out to pasture-- just like putting seniors in a nursing home-- no matter if they are still talented and creative. It plagues rap music even moreso because of three primary reasons:

1. The age/generation gap between the old school and new school and how culture and tradition has not been passed down between said generations to help preserve it.

2. The entertainment business is a platform for selling a fantasy that involves an ongoing notion that youth and vigor (or beauty) are ongoing facets of life that should not meet an end. In the world of entertainment, youth and vitality, although wrongly paired, are synonomous with wealth and fame. (In everyday, normal/regular living, its is not the correct premise to be rich and famous-- thus the vicarious fantasy of entertainment intercedes and dilutes daily life and philosophy.)

3. Rap music is highly trendy (in terms of fashion, slang, dialect, etc.) These trends are what establish those same business models that are amplified by eternal youth and beauty- which help rebel or defy social norms. (For example, society shunning youth for wearing baggy clothes, saggy jeans, corn rows, excessive jewelry-- this image is doubly scorned and shamed for a 40 + year old male and viewed as someone who is immature or childish.)

Its very ironic that Hip-Hop music/culture, as a sub-genre of American culture, is absorbed in this idea. You dont see artists and acts (in other musical genres) like Mick Jagger & The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Steven Tyler & Aerosmith, John Cougar Mellencamp, Tina Turner, Patti Labelle, Celine Dion, etc., etc. being told they are not less creative or viable as contributors to their talents, art, and society because they are past any certain age. Sure, they all had their respective times that peaked in the marketplace, but that doesnt impede their sustainable abilities as creative beings that can still sell... Selling, is only part of the equation. There is also the component of being an "artist".

Creativity doesnt stop at 30, 40, or 50 years of age-- its an ongoing happenstance. Our (hip-hop) culture needs to remove this philosophy from its base or its going to k!ll the long-term abilities for growth and development-- not every rapper from the 80's needs to be put into "rap retirement". We need to bridge this rather large gap between generations somehow. I also believe, this occurence of ageism also takes place not only from young to old, but from old to young as well. Yet, somehow, we all need to come to more common grounds to make it better for all..not just in rap--but life in general.

Impressive and very thought provoking response. Im very impressed by this. Its true..big time.
 5 years ago '06        #30
marcusaka50 58 heat pts58
space
space
space
$29,620 | Props total: 8552 8552
 jaycee said:
NAS just dropped a gem
I promise you will not listen to that album 10yrs from now.

Its good album but to me 2-3 months from now I will forget all about it.

hiphop is just different that other genres.

its all about staying relevant on a year to year basics for hiphop.

you gotta make music to what the younger people as well as the old fan base will listen to.

Jayz/Nas make relevant music.

They don't make sade/maxwell music like take a decade off.

HipHop artist can't take 5yrs off and comeback strong like they never left.

They can't step outside the box.

Its young man game.

Now they can step outside the box but its all about record sells so they won't.

I can't hate on that.
 07-24-2012, 05:42 PM         #31
ElMarro10  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I think it has everything to do with age. He is right. We live in an age where "Rick Ross" is considered hip hop and talked about like if he is any good. But I mean what else is there to compare him to? Lil Wayne? Tyga?
 5 years ago '04        #32
One-O-One 14 heat pts14
space
space
$10,198 | Props total: 8912 8912
i dunno. Seems like nowadays its the older artist holding the game up right now. Most of the top MCs are pushing 30 or well over it.

Jay-Z
Kanye
Ross
Nas
2 Chainz
Nicki Minaj
Weezy

Even Currensy and Juicy J are k!llin' right now and they're over 30.

There's a few young artist dominating, but its not as bad as it seems.

I think the problem with a lot of older emcees is that they're bringing nothing new to the table, so they sound old. I believe you can rap forever as long as u innovate and mature with your core fanbase.
 07-24-2012, 06:38 PM         #33
Phoenix  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Didn't read because Bumpy Knuckles is trash

Opinions voided.
 07-24-2012, 06:56 PM         #34
WifeRaperMagnus  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 ChickBoss414 said:
-- Its not AGE, as much as it is AGEISM.

*Ageism is a form of discrimination which is based on someone's chronological age. Many people use this term specifically to refer to discrimination against older people, but ageism can strike people of all ages. Like other forms of discrimination, ageism can be extremely harmful, especially when it is viewed as culturally normal and acceptable.

*age∑ism  [ey-jiz-uhm] noun
1. discrimination against persons of a certain age group.

2. a tendency to regard older persons as debilitated, unworthy of attention, or unsuitable for employment.

American culture is predicated on the idea that as we get older, we are not able to be as fashionable, trendy, or marketable-- ESPECIALLY IN THE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT WHERE THEY SELL THE FANTASIES OF (ETERNAL) BEAUTY AND (ETERNAL) YOUTH.

Consider the idea that we send our elders to senior living homes in this country, and the practices of other cultures/countries is to let the parent/elder reside with the family and not cast them off....

Rap music is not excluded from this phenomenon as we tend to lay our elders out to pasture-- just like putting seniors in a nursing home-- no matter if they are still talented and creative. It plagues rap music even moreso because of three primary reasons:

1. The age/generation gap between the old school and new school and how culture and tradition has not been passed down between said generations to help preserve it.

2. The entertainment business is a platform for selling a fantasy that involves an ongoing notion that youth and vigor (or beauty) are ongoing facets of life that should not meet an end. In the world of entertainment, youth and vitality, although wrongly paired, are synonomous with wealth and fame. (In everyday, normal/regular living, its is not the correct premise to be rich and famous-- thus the vicarious fantasy of entertainment intercedes and dilutes daily life and philosophy.)

3. Rap music is highly trendy (in terms of fashion, slang, dialect, etc.) These trends are what establish those same business models that are amplified by eternal youth and beauty- which help rebel or defy social norms. (For example, society shunning youth for wearing baggy clothes, saggy jeans, corn rows, excessive jewelry-- this image is doubly scorned and shamed for a 40 + year old male and viewed as someone who is immature or childish.)

Its very ironic that Hip-Hop music/culture, as a sub-genre of American culture, is absorbed in this idea. You dont see artists and acts (in other musical genres) like Mick Jagger & The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Steven Tyler & Aerosmith, John Cougar Mellencamp, Tina Turner, Patti Labelle, Celine Dion, etc., etc. being told they are not less creative or viable as contributors to their talents, art, and society because they are past any certain age. Sure, they all had their respective times that peaked in the marketplace, but that doesnt impede their sustainable abilities as creative beings that can still sell... Selling, is only part of the equation. There is also the component of being an "artist".

Creativity doesnt stop at 30, 40, or 50 years of age-- its an ongoing happenstance. Our (hip-hop) culture needs to remove this philosophy from its base or its going to k!ll the long-term abilities for growth and development-- not every rapper from the 80's needs to be put into "rap retirement". We need to bridge this rather large gap between generations somehow. I also believe, this occurence of ageism also takes place not only from young to old, but from old to young as well. Yet, somehow, we all need to come to more common grounds to make it better for all..not just in rap--but life in general.

[pic - click to view]

Props.

Mothufuggin tabernacle.
 5 years ago '10        #35
trill jackson 737 heat pts737
space
space
$18,811 | Props total: 13075 13075
It's like any other game. The player gets old but the game always stays young . Salute to nas jay em and all those older cats still doing well but if wu tang were to put out an album right now it'll brick cause a 16 year old chief keef fan ain't fu*king with them. Kids buy records man. The older fans got mortgages and bills to pay they ain't buying CDs like that
 5 years ago '04        #36
young_al 
space
space
$1,385 | Props total: 88 88
That ageism definition works both ways young and old for example

The media culture seems to promote the youth as reckless, immature,
I give respect to those who came before me, however the future is not in there hands.

older people tend to view younger people as naive, stupid,
hip-hop is no where near what it was in its origin because it has been turn into a corporate model by gatekeepers. It will be a minute before we have some artist out there like with some content that is burnt into the world conscious of society.

Ageism is not just attitude towards older people it works the same for young people to.
You hear ageism when you talk to a person in their 60s who doesn't know how to use FACEBOOK and they get mad because its not there era anymore and cant adapt.

The game is to be sold!

And there are way more problems in hip-hop than this.

1. The (fuk you) contracts
2. Failed business model to adapt to digital media
3. Corporate control of radio, and TV station
4. Favoritism of commercialized artist

Last edited by young_al; 07-24-2012 at 08:08 PM..
 5 years ago '10        #37
space
space
the key for an old artist is to not leave. your most recent hit can't be a billion years ago it gotta be something the core age group of hip hop consumers are old enough to remember. that's why people like lauren hill and lil kim are fu*ked in 2012 even though they both younger than jay. you gotta keep hitting people off with hits
 5 years ago '10        #38
space
space
 Agentzer0oo0 said:
It's kinda funny when you see rappers who used to sh*t on old dudes still rapping
"i'll still whoop your a.ss your 36 in a karate class? n*ggas was calling jay old when he was 30
 5 years ago '10        #39
space
space
 P Griff said:
Primo >>> these wack a.ss producers
primos best beats are behind him not ahead of him let's be real. he can't even get placement on OLDER artists albums nowadays. all you hear is excuses as to why a new nas or jay album don't have any primo beats on them. uhh maybe its cause his sound aint changed in 20 years
 5 years ago '05        #40
Micheal C. Will 18 heat pts18
space
space
$28,197 | Props total: 15715 15715
Staying relevant and adapting is the key, being over 30 or 40 is not the problem.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
262 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
76 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
38 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL CBS James Brown Hairline Is Seriously Making Me Uncomfortable
103 comments
22 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside fu-k YOU BUNGIE........
32 comments
20 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside My Local Newscaster Has The Biggest Damn Head That I've Ever Seen *Pause
98 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
The Rock has a message for The Avengers
39 comments
22 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Maia Campbell Was Recently Spotted In Atlanta....
46 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy