DJ Premier Says Age Is One Of The Biggest Problems In Today's Hip Hop

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
70 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
131 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
35 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA JAYSON TATUMS CAREER IS OFFICIALLY OVER :mjdamn:
52 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-24-2012, 05:01 AM         #1
6004 pageviews
58 comments

s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
DJ Premier Says Age Is One Of The Biggest Problems In Today's Hip Hop

[pic - click to view]

DJ Premier and Bumpy Knuckles speak in-depth on Hip Hop and more during an interview with Out Da Box TV.

During a conversation with Out Da Box TV, noted producer DJ Premier and rapper Bumpy Knuckles spoke in-depth on the current state of Hip Hop. The two musicians spoke specifically on the age gap in Hip Hop, corporate radio, and paying homage to those who came first.

When asked what his thoughts are on the progression of Hip Hop, DJ Premier touched on those who believe that being an entertainer in Hip Hop has an age limit. The producer clearly and concisely expressed his opinion on the topic by simply stating that, “you never stop something that you love.”

“I’m 46-years-old so I represent a different area of the culture. The area we’re from is really the original area because before there was any scratching and cutting we were enjoying R&B, soul, jazz, rock, pop, new wave music, everything you could think of,” DJ Premier explained. “Everything that channeled into it becoming what it is now. So my respect for it is way more different than the average Hip Hop so called fan, emcee, DJ, whatever that’s involved in it now that’s at a younger age. The age thing is really one of the biggest problems that we face in Hip Hop right now. Because it seems like everybody wants to focus on ‘when should you stop.’ And you never stop something that you love.”

Bumpy Knuckles touched on another much discussed topic in today’s Hip Hop, corporate radio. The rapper revealed that while corporate radio is a necessity it shouldn’t become the primary focus in music.

“I think people have to be not so self-centered when it comes to the presentation of the music meaning don’t get boggled down with the corporate radio and all that stuff,” said Bumpy Knuckles. “I mean that stuff is definitely necessary you can’t front on that, but that’s not what it’s all about. Because if you really about keeping the culture alive and relevant there’s ways to do that.”

[pic - click to view]

DJ Premier Says Age Is One Of The Biggest Problems In Today's Hip Hop | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX

58 comments for "DJ Premier Says Age Is One Of The Biggest Problems In Today's Hip Hop"

07-24-2012, 01:59 PM         #2
dlettern  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hip Hop has always been a youth inspired culture. Premo was producing for Nas when Nas was 17, Bumpy has been in the game since he was in HS. Age doesn't have much to do with it. Our environment and appreciation of the culture is what is different. So I can partially see where Premo is coming from.

Bumpy is that dude! I'm still happy he checked Benzino when dude thought he was some Hip Hop Debo. That little punk was never the same after, ha
 5 years ago '06        #3
jaycee 39 heat pts39
space
space
space
$9,354 | Props total: 834 834
Ross is proof that its not about age ..dude is in his 30's
 5 years ago '11        #4
VicDutch 122 heat pts122
space
space
$4,510 | Props total: 1035 1035
Primo for President..
 07-24-2012, 02:57 PM         #5
King Jove  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"The age thing is really one of the biggest problems that we face in Hip Hop right now. Because it seems like everybody wants to focus on ‘when should you stop.’ And you never stop something that you love.”

aint nobody saying when someone should stop.

just don't go crying when someone doesn't want to hear some dusty 40 year old n*gga rappin over some wack 90's style beats
 5 years ago '10        #6
Bandito 92 heat pts92
space
space
space
$4,859 | Props total: 7076 7076
I think one thing that Premo said that's overlooked is this"

The area we’re from is really the original area because before there was any scratching and cutting we
were enjoying R&B, soul, jazz, rock, pop, new wave music, everything you could think of,” DJ Premier
explained. “Everything that channeled into it becoming what it is now. So my respect for it is way more
different than the average Hip Hop so called fan, emcee, DJ, whatever that’s involved in it now that’s
at a younger age.

The kids in Hip Hop now have grown up only listening to Rap or Hip Hop tinged R&B.
Where do they get their inspiration to take Hip Hop to the next level. You're left
with a art form that's very repetitive and derivative. You have a rapper come out
with a hit one week and there's 20 coming out just like him the next.
 5 years ago '09        #7
LOONATIK 1 heat pts
space
space
$8,149 | Props total: 472 472
Yea, age is only part of the it. I feel premo but in my eyes its about the love, respect for the game. n*ggas these days swear they being original lol, and when you say something they don't like you're a hater. Its a different world today.
 5 years ago '09        #8
Lupe Hunter 77 heat pts77
space
space
$15,518 | Props total: 5708 5708
also the repetitive music is one of the biggest problems too

Premier knows something about that
 5 years ago '05        #9
katalist 229 heat pts229
space
space
$36,999 | Props total: 1318 1318
Its true, alot of these young fu*ks just dismiss old school rappers because they are not under 25 years old.

Masta Ace still k!llin it, E-40 still k!llin it, Monch still k!llin it, there is still some old school mc's that still doing it. Hiphop is one of the only genres where AGE is such a huge thing and its dumb as fu*k imo. If you can still make great music at 30 or 40 then why the fu*k not? Jazz and Blues genres don't hate on others that are older.
 07-24-2012, 03:08 PM         #10
DrX  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 jaycee said:
Ross is proof that its not about age ..dude is in his 30's
most popular rappers are

2 chainz
wayne
kanye etc...
 07-24-2012, 03:11 PM         #11
FASTLIFE  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
he's right tho, fans and the artists themselves are too worried on when you should stop when really if you are a great artist you should never stop
 5 years ago '04        #12
tanman10 2 heat pts
space
space
$1,075 | Props total: 1 1
premo beat legend spittin truth
 5 years ago '10        #13
Rebirth46 59 heat pts59
space
space
$3,997 | Props total: 982 982
Originality is at a stand still in hiphop minus a few. Everybody rapping over the same beats talking about the same sh*t tryna be like the next mf. I was in the studio with my homie and he wanted me to get on a track with him but the thing is he wanted me to rap a certain like on some Chief Keef type of sh*t and its a lot of young cats following the lastest trends from clothing to stealing other n*ggaz flow or just copying cats I dont see no kind of originality out here dont nobody want to be different they want to have a big radio hit with the same washed up trap beats sh*t be making me mad sometimes
 5 years ago '05        #14
GUNIT-FINEST 
space
space
$17,631 | Props total: 309 309
hip hop just seems like a young person game and yea age does play a role in it . its like sports u get your prime years then u start to fade once u hit certain age. idk why hip hop is like that but the young ppl stop caring about u after awhile
 5 years ago '06        #15
jaycee 39 heat pts39
space
space
space
$9,354 | Props total: 834 834
Nothing wrong with a old rapper just stay relevant..I'm sorry Big shug and bumpy knuckles is not relevant
 5 years ago '11        #16
Mr X 19 heat pts19
space
space
$2,265 | Props total: 241 241
 tanman10 said:
premo beat legend spittin truth

his beats are boring
 5 years ago '11        #17
ChickBoss414 27 heat pts27
space
space
$1,547 | Props total: 318 318
-- Its not AGE, as much as it is AGEISM.

*Ageism is a form of discrimination which is based on someone's chronological age. Many people use this term specifically to refer to discrimination against older people, but ageism can strike people of all ages. Like other forms of discrimination, ageism can be extremely harmful, especially when it is viewed as culturally normal and acceptable.

*age·ism  [ey-jiz-uhm] noun
1. discrimination against persons of a certain age group.

2. a tendency to regard older persons as debilitated, unworthy of attention, or unsuitable for employment.

American culture is predicated on the idea that as we get older, we are not able to be as fashionable, trendy, or marketable-- ESPECIALLY IN THE WORLD OF ENTERTAINMENT WHERE THEY SELL THE FANTASIES OF (ETERNAL) BEAUTY AND (ETERNAL) YOUTH.

Consider the idea that we send our elders to senior living homes in this country, and the practices of other cultures/countries is to let the parent/elder reside with the family and not cast them off....

Rap music is not excluded from this phenomenon as we tend to lay our elders out to pasture-- just like putting seniors in a nursing home-- no matter if they are still talented and creative. It plagues rap music even moreso because of three primary reasons:

1. The age/generation gap between the old school and new school and how culture and tradition has not been passed down between said generations to help preserve it.

2. The entertainment business is a platform for selling a fantasy that involves an ongoing notion that youth and vigor (or beauty) are ongoing facets of life that should not meet an end. In the world of entertainment, youth and vitality, although wrongly paired, are synonomous with wealth and fame. (In everyday, normal/regular living, its is not the correct premise to be rich and famous-- thus the vicarious fantasy of entertainment intercedes and dilutes daily life and philosophy.)

3. Rap music is highly trendy (in terms of fashion, slang, dialect, etc.) These trends are what establish those same business models that are amplified by eternal youth and beauty- which help rebel or defy social norms. (For example, society shunning youth for wearing baggy clothes, saggy jeans, corn rows, excessive jewelry-- this image is doubly scorned and shamed for a 40 + year old male and viewed as someone who is immature or childish.)

Its very ironic that Hip-Hop music/culture, as a sub-genre of American culture, is absorbed in this idea. You dont see artists and acts (in other musical genres) like Mick Jagger & The Rolling Stones, Billy Joel, Steven Tyler & Aerosmith, John Cougar Mellencamp, Tina Turner, Patti Labelle, Celine Dion, etc., etc. being told they are not less creative or viable as contributors to their talents, art, and society because they are past any certain age. Sure, they all had their respective times that peaked in the marketplace, but that doesnt impede their sustainable abilities as creative beings that can still sell... Selling, is only part of the equation. There is also the component of being an "artist".

Creativity doesnt stop at 30, 40, or 50 years of age-- its an ongoing happenstance. Our (hip-hop) culture needs to remove this philosophy from its base or its going to k!ll the long-term abilities for growth and development-- not every rapper from the 80's needs to be put into "rap retirement". We need to bridge this rather large gap between generations somehow. I also believe, this occurence of ageism also takes place not only from young to old, but from old to young as well. Yet, somehow, we all need to come to more common grounds to make it better for all..not just in rap--but life in general.

Last edited by ChickBoss414; 07-24-2012 at 03:55 PM..
 5 years ago '06        #18
Down-N-H-Town 6 heat pts
space
space
$3,629 | Props total: 602 602
I think that currently it is about age, but once we age, it will become a genre like rock and R&B b/c our age group grew up on rap, so the rappers will grow with us. There are currently 30 year olds still listening to rap b/c that is what they grew up on. Snoop Doog, Jay Z, and Dr. Dre are still in the game 40 years old. Soon Ross will be too and Birdman.
 5 years ago '10        #19
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,873 | Props total: 20888 20888
It's kinda funny when you see rappers who used to sh*t on old dudes still rapping
 07-24-2012, 04:07 PM         #20
P Griff  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Primo >>> these wack a.ss producers
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside The Administration Kicked Me Out But I Went Round Back On They A@%
36 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
99 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
67 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
79 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
86 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
89 comments
1 day ago
@misc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Let’s keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
57 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
256 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy