'The Dark Knight Rises' Debuts With Estimated $160 Million Amid Tragedy 7.22.2012

most viewed right now
50 cent did something to Comedienne Aarona Lopez. She has her friends worried!!!
70 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Akademiks: If you see EDS next year it won't be with me and Joe unless we get ..
62 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fan Draws life like Picture Of Joe Budden
53 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA 5 Players Who Were Lebron Before Lebron
53 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '12        #1
5621 pageviews
97 comments

SHADOW 326 heat pts326
space
space
$8,652 | Props total: 322 322
'The Dark Knight Rises' Debuts With Estimated $160 Million Amid Tragedy 7.22.2012

[pic - click to view]

In the wake of the tragic movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colo., "The Dark Knight Rises" performed strongly at the box office during its opening weekend, although below earlier projections.

Sources in Hollywood estimated that the final installment in Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy grossed around $160 million upon its debut. Before the tragedy, pre-release audience surveys had indicated that the film would likely collect between $180 million and $200 million during its first weekend in theaters.

Still, the movie's opening weekend take is the third-highest ever — not adjusting for inflation — behind only two 3-D films, "The Avengers" and the final entry in the "Harry Potter" series. In 2008, "The Dark Knight" debuted with $158 million and went on to become one of 12 films to gross over $1 billion worldwide.

Official weekend estimates were not made available Sunday because Warner Bros. and other major Hollywood studios did not release box office revenue figures out of respect for those involved in the shootings. The company that gathers box office data, Rentrak, also did not report weekend numbers.

As such, international grosses were also not released, and overseas ticket sales will be the true indication of the movie's ultimate financial success. On Friday, Warner Bros. said it would cancel the remaining red carpet premieres for "The Dark Knight Rises" abroad, which were to take place in Paris, Mexico City and Tokyo.

It is unclear how much Friday's events in Colorado affected opening weekend receipts for "The Dark Knight Rises." A number of moviegoers purchased their tickets to the film in advance of the weekend, though a handful of theater chains said they would honor buyer requests for refunds.

It does not appear that many cinema chains canceled screenings of "Dark Knight" this weekend, though a number of theater owners vowed to ramp up security at their locations in response to the shootings.

Those who saw the $250-million-plus production starring Christian Bale as the Caped Crusader loved it, a.ssigning it an average grade of A. It remains to be seen if that strong word-of-mouth will convince those who stayed out of the theater this weekend to see the movie in the coming weeks.

Just wait until next weekend, when all these cats goin' in for rounds 2, 3, and 4 image

[pic - click to view]

[pic - click to view]

'Dark Knight Rises' debuts with estimated $160 million amid tragedy - latimes.com

97 comments for "'The Dark Knight Rises' Debuts With Estimated $160 Million Amid Tragedy 7.22.2012"

5 years ago '08        #2
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
$40,109 | Props total: 23334 23334

[pic - click to view]

Just sucks that the shooting will be the scapegoat for why it didn't beat Avengers

Last edited by Arson; 07-22-2012 at 12:13 PM..
 5 years ago '12        #3
SHADOW 326 heat pts326 OP
space
space
$8,652 | Props total: 322 322
 Arson said:

[pic - click to view]

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '09        #4
circleofpurple 58 heat pts58
space
space
$7,912 | Props total: 14033 14033
The shooting had nothing to do with it, atleast I don't think so. Look at the Tucson shooting a couple years ago. Did people stop going to Safeway? No.
 07-22-2012, 12:40 PM         #5
BobRossIsAlive 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 circleofpurple said:
The shooting had nothing to do with it, atleast I don't think so. Look at the Tucson shooting a couple years ago. Did people stop going to Safeway? No.
I don't mean to be a d!ck but who are we going to believe? You or Deadline Hollywood?

5 years ago '09        #6
circleofpurple 58 heat pts58
space
space
$7,912 | Props total: 14033 14033
Guess what? There's no way for deadline Hollywood to know that the shooting had anything to do with it, they're just speculating. This isn't something you can accurately measure. Did they go out and ask millions of people why they didn't go see batman? No.
 5 years ago '10        #7
2113 36 heat pts36
space
space
$2,364 | Props total: 49 49
 circleofpurple said:
I think it did play a role,it was blasted all over media outlets the morning of the release of TDKR,my homie who I went with almost didn't end up going becaue he was skeptical after watching that report and his girl was begging him not to go out of paranoia of course but still.While not on the same scale as 9/11 weren't people afraid to get on planes after those random terrorist attacks? It's very plausibale tht the theater shooting played a role in people not going to the theaters.
 5 years ago '08        #8
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
 2113 said:
I think it did play a role,it was blasted all over media outlets the morning of the release of TDKR,my homie who I went with almost didn't end up going becaue he was skeptical after watching that report and his girl was begging him not to go out of paranoia of course but still.While not on the same scale as 9/11 weren't people afraid to get on planes after those random terrorist attacks? It's very plausibale tht the theater shooting played a role in people not going to the theaters.
I'd say they lost 10-20M because of the shooting.
 5 years ago '12        #9
LicensedLegend 11 heat pts11
space
space
$8,626 | Props total: 2140 2140
 Arson said:
I'd say they lost 10-20M because of the shooting.
I agree.
 5 years ago '09        #10
TraV 77 heat pts77
space
space
$21,099 | Props total: 1831 1831
 2113 said:
Millions though?

Little hard to believe. It still did its numbers either way.
 5 years ago '06        #11
raw51188 3 heat pts
space
space
space
$1,606 | Props total: 1 1
Not hard at all to believe. It lost about 50 million. Numbers don't go down like that after a 76 million dollar first day, especially a movie that attracts viewers of all ages. It does 70 mil a day no shooting.
 5 years ago '04        #12
Tha754kid 1 heat pts
space
space
$4,906 | Props total: 833 833
 Arson said:

[pic - click to view]

Just sucks that the shooting will be the scapegoat for why it didn't beat Avengers
Well I've seen them both but the Avengers entertained me more
 5 years ago '05        #13
iggyemu 
space
space
$24,787 | Props total: 4901 4901
I think everyone that was going to see it probably saw it. Shooting definitely lowered second viewings. I watched it twice...just like I did with Avengers.
 5 years ago '12        #14
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,762 | Props total: 22145 22145
To the dumbass that posted earlier in the topic, are you fu*king stupid? Safeway is a fu*king grocery story and everyone has to go to the fu*king grocery store. You know what instead of some of the victims that got shot you should have been there taking the bullets for them for saying such a retarded statement.
 07-22-2012, 05:39 PM         #15
Cheeze 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 raw51188 said:
Not hard at all to believe. It lost about 50 million. Numbers don't go down like that after a 76 million dollar first day, especially a movie that attracts viewers of all ages. It does 70 mil a day no shooting.
Awesome facts you've created

5 years ago '05        #16
ondareal 
space
space
$2,512 | Props total: 781 781
lol yall n*ggas be funny. Its kinda dumb to a.ssume NOBODY decided to not see based on a movie theatre shooting. You cant put a figure on it. But im sure SOMEBODY turned on the news that morning and said "yeah, fu*k goin to the movies today"
 5 years ago '06        #17
piru87 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$531 | Props total: 1 1
SO................ Yall Really Thought One Hero Was Going to Beat 6 Heros..............NOPE
 5 years ago '08        #18
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
 Michael 1987 said:
Oh things will change later on it's only a matter of time.
you gon be mad folk
 07-22-2012, 08:25 PM         #19
Illstreet 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Arson said:

[pic - click to view]

Dat Poll...
 5 years ago '08        #20
Arson 84 heat pts84
space
space
 Illstreet said:

Dat Poll...

Dat Runtime

Fact still remains that Avengers has won the Box office race and the most important race of all.....the race to 90+% on Rotten Tomatoes
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside T1tty Meat from Nicki Minaj
46 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Lawyer with big ass t1ttys
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Thread worthy Cute thick Latina
26 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Five MORE women accuse Russell Simmons of sexual misconduct - bringing total t..
129 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Star Wars Last Jedi Spoiler review
82 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Lil Duval with the joke of the year
57 comments
1 day ago