“Freeway” Ricky Ross’ Identity Lawsuit Against Rick Ross Still Alive

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
199 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
46 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
50 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside The 10 Worst Jay-Z Songs Of All Time
131 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-19-2012, 10:54 AM         #1
6573 pageviews
123 comments

s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
“Freeway” Ricky Ross’ Identity Lawsuit Against Rick Ross Still Alive

[pic - click to view]

The former drug kingpin’s suit against Rozay is still alive…

July 19, 2012 - 11:51 AM

Part of former drug kingpin “Freeway” Ricky Ross’s lawsuit against Rick Ross is still alive.

According to multiple reports, including Billboard.Biz, earlier this week on Tuesday (July 17), a California state judge rejected Warner Bros. Records’ motion to dismiss “Freeway” Ricky Ross’ lawsuit against Rick Ross—one that alleges that Rozay had misappropriated the name and identity of “Freeway Ricky Ross—ruling that the statute of limitations hadn’t expired.

That decision may spell Warner Bros. Records to face “Freeway” Ross’ claims of publicity rights, false advertising, unjust enrichment, and unfair business practice, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Although the judge rejected statute of limitations as means to dismiss the lawsuit Tuesday, he did tell “Freeway” that the amended complaint doesn’t contain allegations specific to the defendant and is giving him 10 days to amend the suit with new allegations, a time period that “Freeway” has agreed to amend it in.

Tuesday’s decision to keep part of his suit alive is a win for “Freeway,” considering his original $10 million lawsuit against Ross, Jay-Z, Def Jam, Universal Music Group, Vivendi and others was thrown out back in 2010 after a judge ruled that “Freeway” couldn’t legitimately show he had trademark rights to his name.

He then re-filed his lawsuit, but a second judge dismissed it on the statute of limitations having passed, as it was deemed that Rozay was already famous by 2005.—Jakinder Singh

[pic - click to view]

“Freeway” Ricky Ross’ Identity Lawsuit Against Rick Ross Still Alive | XXL

123 comments for "“Freeway” Ricky Ross’ Identity Lawsuit Against Rick Ross Still Alive"

5 years ago '12        #2
44wade 289 heat pts289
space
space
space
$24,061 | Props total: 11269 11269
this one gonna get thrown out too, soon.

warner signed MMG, not Rick Ross. No case.
 5 years ago '12        #3
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
$12,457 | Props total: 12967 12967
this dude need to wake the fu*k up and realize he not getting sh*t. He honestly think the judge is gonna grant a former kingpin with money? But i do wish ross would cut this dude a check so he stfu though. This dude destroyed communities,etc with crack and yet n*ggas glorify this dude. Same sh*t happened when Kelvin Martin( the real 50cent)'s family tried to sued 50(the rapper)

Its a stage name and dude is broke so he pulls out a lawsuit. He deserves to rot in fu*kin jail with all the destruction he caused. Cricket lookin a.ss n*gga.
 07-19-2012, 12:34 PM         #4
YesUcantCme  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
That fat fu*k should jus pay the real n*gga some money..since he makin money of using his image, name etc
 5 years ago '12        #5
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
 YesUcantCme said:
That fat fu*k should jus pay the real n*gga some money..since he makin money of using his image, name etc
lol so he real cause he sold crack/poison to his own people in which the CIA was supplying him? Then snitched his way out of prison when caught? fu*k outta brainwashed a.ss n*gga. He dont deserve sh*t and this case gonna be thrown out just like the last one

Last edited by daman729; 07-19-2012 at 12:45 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #6
bigjoshi2002 12 heat pts12
space
space
space
$1,047 | Props total: 87 87
Wednesday July 18th, 2012 11:28
Rick Ross sued over name and deposit

Rick Ross

A Californian state court yesterday allowed a lawsuit being pursued against Warner Music by Rick Ross over Rick Ross to continue. Yeah, follow that one.

Rick Ross the rapper, real name William Roberts, took his stage name from the real Rick Ross, one of America’s best known convicted drug traffickers (and in doing so turned down the opportunity to perform as Bill Bob, which would have been much more fun). The real Rick Ross, often known as Freeway Rick Ross, was still in prison when the rapper first emerged on the scene, but once freed he sued the hip hop man in 2010, claiming the rapper had misappropriated his name.

Freeway Ross’s first lawsuit in the California federal court in 2010 failed, because the judge ruled that the claimant did not own any trademarks in the name, and couldn’t claim such rights on the basis of his infamy. The former drugs man then tried again, through the California state court, claiming, according to Law 360, false advertising, unjust enrichment, unfair business practice, and common-law claims of misappropriation of name, identity and rights of publicity.

The main defendants in that lawsuit were William Roberts himself, and his original label Universal Music. The case failed in March on the basis of statute of limitations, the legal principle that says that litigation relating to a specific action must be taken within a predetermined time after the offending incident. The court ruled that the claimant hadn’t acted soon enough, under Californian law, after Roberts and his label starting using the Rick Ross moniker. Ross tried to argue that each new album released by Roberts and Universal constituted a new offence, but the courts did not concur.

But, as previously reported, Warner Music only entered into its business partnership with Roberts to release music using the Rick Ross name in February 2011, meaning, Ross claimed, the statute of limitations did not apply if he sued them. And yesterday a Californian judge agreed, telling the music major it couldn’t have the case dismissed on statute of limitations grounds, because of the 2011 agreement. Though the judge added that Ross’s lawsuit would need to be amended, because it doesn’t currently make specific allegations against the music company. Reps for the claimant said this would now be done.

Ross, who it’s thought amassed a fortune of up to $600 million via his drug trafficking network through the 1980s and early 1990s, was given early release from prison due to good behaviour, and says he is now involved in youth projects to help his local community, and wants his name to be a.ssociated, not with rap, but with “the struggles Black America has had as a result of the crack cocaine epidemic, and to correctly represent what I went through personally when I was given a federal life sentence”.

Welcoming this week’s ruling, and confirming he is appealing the March decision, Ross told CMU: “While we are still confident in our case against Universal on appeal, and believe they were filed against in time, and each new CD restarted the statue of limitations too, we take this [new] decision as a good sign”.

Elsewhere in Rick Ross the rapper news, he, his sister and his manager are all being sued by a UK company over a planned appearance at a concert in Nigeria in 2011.

London-based Zons PR worked for African beer brand Star Lager on its annual Star Mega Jam event, and booked Ross to headline via his sister, Tawanda Roberts. The promotions firm handed over a deposit of $87,500, but Ross ultimately pulled out of the Nigerian show citing security concerns. But, say Zons PR, he is yet to return the deposit, and has refused to discuss paying back the money or agreeing to an alternative project. Ross’s people are yet to respond to the lawsuit.

God forgives, Freeway Rick Ross don't!
 5 years ago '11        #7
Wavy WoNka 
space
space
space
$568 | Props total: 1 1
will this bum let it go already.

Last edited by Wavy WoNka; 07-19-2012 at 12:59 PM..
 5 years ago '12        #8
Dee352 170 heat pts170
space
space
$10,734 | Props total: 604 604
daman729 is a bigger ross stan then grafted
 07-19-2012, 12:58 PM         #9
Mwana Ya Lola  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 YesUcantCme said:
Nobody gon' pay this bi*ch a.ss n*gga.

He played himself.
 07-19-2012, 01:03 PM         #10
madeulook  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 daman729 said:
this dude need to wake the fu*k up and realize he not getting sh*t. He honestly think the judge is gonna grant a former kingpin with money? But i do wish ross would cut this dude a check so he stfu though. This dude destroyed communities,etc with crack and yet n*ggas glorify this dude. Same sh*t happened when Kelvin Martin( the real 50cent)'s family tried to sued 50(the rapper)

Its a stage name and dude is broke so he pulls out a lawsuit. He deserves to rot in fu*kin jail with all the destruction he caused. Cricket lookin a.ss n*gga.
you're still ignoring the fact that ross STOLE his name and IMAGE, wether it was ethical to poison the streets or not. he did it, he moved the weight, and william roberts is taking credit for all that and stealing the mans life...and i dont give a fu*k about either one of them. but fu*k YOU
 5 years ago '06        #11
Special Edd 167 heat pts167
space
space
$26,589 | Props total: 8764 8764
Ross just lucked out. And he got out of jail..all these rappers names are dead. Name wont change if it did fu*k it.. 2chainz did it. Nothing will Change. No one knew a real rick ross existed.
 5 years ago '12        #12
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
 Dee352 said:
lol so now Im a stan cause I dont like a crack dealer? fu*k outta here. Just like i see you in very ross thread
 5 years ago '07        #13
Pos 90 heat pts90
space
space
$9,610 | Props total: 5462 5462
Ross still putting albums out too, the real Rick Ross gotta be mad....all he can do is watch fake Ricky stack money and live "his" life
 5 years ago '12        #14
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
 madeulook said:
you're still ignoring the fact that ross STOLE his name and IMAGE, wether it was ethical to poison the streets or not. he did it, he moved the weight, and william roberts is taking credit for all that and stealing the mans life...and i dont give a fu*k about either one of them. but fu*k YOU
you know how many rapper's took names and/or personas and capitalized? 50cent, busta rhymes, beanie segal, nore, wacka flacka, tupac(makeveli), biggie( frank white). You clownin bruh. 50 was even sued by the real 50 cents's family for this sh*t. Like i said, its a stage name and dude just want a pay cut. 75% of you n*ggas didnt even know who the real rick ross was before it got exposed so the name at what got ross where he at. And i even said in my earlier comment that ross should give the dude a check so he'd stfu. I'm not even gonna start an argument cause that sh*t played out. I'm spewing logical, irrefutable facts. yall n*ggas are brainwashed just like a beat up prostitute who thinks her pimp loves her.
 5 years ago '11        #15
Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
 Dee352 said:
The sad thing about it is, this cat tried to change the definition because he didn't want to be called one. Stans are bad, stans in denial are worse
 07-19-2012, 01:28 PM         #16
DopeManDan  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
William and the industry people behind him knew exactly what they were doing Not only does he have the mans real name he also looks like him and has the exact same drug lord history it ain't a coincidence He stole his identity and then the label people told him to trademark the name

William is a joke and the stupid kids who support him are even worse

If a man from a good home who worked as a CO and it is documented that he shot a inmate trying to escape stole your government name made himself look like you and talked about your life and the things you did and made money from it while you were in prison for really doing that sh*t you would be fu*king pissed aswell
 5 years ago '07        #17
Barnone254 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$4,670 | Props total: 1165 1165
 daman729 said:
lol so now Im a stan cause I dont like a crack dealer? fu*k outta here. Just like i see you in very ross thread
n*gga you can't be serious. Please tell me you joking? How the fu*k you crying about Rick Ross being a crack dealer then turn around and praise the n*gga that stole his likeness and life story? Yeah crack destroyed a lot of black communities but so is the bullsh*t that this MC Gusto a.ss n*gga is spewing. Be real with yourself fam. Ross can rap but how can you respect a n*gga like that entertainment or not.
 5 years ago '12        #18
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
 Retro said:
The sad thing about it is, this cat tried to change the definition because he didn't want to be called one. Stans are bad, stans in denial are worse
yeah lol just like you got your whole profile dedicated to nas and you in every nas thread as well as every ross thread sayin sh*t so what does that make you n*gga? Aint that a midget callin a munchkin short? lol You dont know what what a stan is. You have a great deal of misconception and ignorance is on your side. I didnt change any definition. What i said was fact. n*ggas like you cant take truth. Accuse a fan of being a stan yet your profile is dedicated to another grown a.ss man you may have never met? lmao foh
 5 years ago '12        #19
daman729 27 heat pts27
space
space
 Barnone254 said:
n*gga you can't be serious. Please tell me you joking? How the fu*k you crying about Rick Ross being a crack dealer then turn around and praise the n*gga that stole his likeness and life story? Yeah crack destroyed a lot of black communities but so is the bullsh*t that this MC Gusto a.ss n*gga is spewing. Be real with yourself fam. Ross can rap but how can you respect a n*gga like that entertainment or not.
Please look at my comments and tell me one time when i praised ross the rapper. Be coherent.
 5 years ago '11        #20
Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
 daman729 said:
yeah lol just like you got your whole profile dedicated to nas and you in every nas thread as well as every ross thread sayin sh*t so what does that make you n*gga? Aint that a midget callin a munchkin short? lol You dont know what what a stan is. You have a great deal of misconception and ignorance is on your side. I didnt change any definition. What i said was fact. n*ggas like you cant take truth. Accuse a fan of being a stan yet your profile is dedicated to another grown a.ss man you may have never met? lmao foh
One - Reusing arguments from Grafted when I already bodied them isn't a smart thing to do. You call yourself educated every chance you get. Start acting like it.

Two - The album of the moment is Life Is Good, which I continue to discuss because it just dropped. Am I in every Nas vs. _____? No. Am I in every Nas thread period? No.

You on the other hand are knee deep in every Ross thread typing paragraphs. That's not normal fan behavior, that's stan behavior.

For someone to call themselves educated all the time & be this delusional is hilarious. It seems you can't even get the definition of educated correct...
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
15 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
14 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
53 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
33 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Article inside Rick Ross’ Longtime Manager Black Bo Has Died
47 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Azealia Banks Disses Remy Ma “You Are Not Important to Rap, Who Lied to You”
96 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
48 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy