Forbes Magazine Calls Jeremy Lin The Dumbest Harvard Grad Ever LOL

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
33 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
49 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Well Damn quavo is out here clowning buddens again
189 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Migos clown Joe Budden to oblivion
137 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '10        #1
7947 pageviews
59 comments

Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,829 | Props total: 20645 20645
Forbes Magazine Calls Jeremy Lin The Dumbest Harvard Grad Ever LOL

[pic - click to view]

Jeremy Lin May Be The Dumbest Harvard Grad Ever

Sorry for the harsh headline, but Iím having a hard time coming up with any other conclusion. While I havenít checked the Harvard core curriculum lately, it must surely be light on math, psychology and logic, and completely devoid of Marketing 101. How else to explain the self-destructive actions of its most famous basketball alum, Jeremy Lin, who has taken the global phenomenon known as Linsanity and doused it with kerosene.

After last nightís decision by the New York Knicks to let him walk to the Houston Rockets, almost all of the analysis has focused on Knicks owner Jim Dolan. He faced a vexing dilemma, given the back-loaded contract offer from the Houston Rockets that would have forced the Knicks to effectively pay $50 million for Linís services three years hence. (My friend Howard Beck of the New York Times provides a useful primer here.) How do you weigh Linís basketball and marketing potential against a very small sample set (heís started all of 25 games in his career) and also against not just what he would be paid, but the larger ramifications of his contract down the line? Given that the adjectives a.ssociated with Dolan, backed up a dysfunctional track record, generally include illogical, vindictive, paranoid and dumb (and because Iím a lifelong Knicks fan, Iím being kind), heís predictably being ripped apart.

In the end, though, Iím more fascinated by the choices Lin made. Dolan will be rich and reviled no matter what he does. Lin may have signed a big contract, but he also just provided the folks at Harvard Business School with a brilliant case study how to cost yourself millions of dollars and scads of influence when youíre not looking at the big picture.

To review, the point guardís scrub-to-star rise in February Ė Linsanity! ó has arguably been the best sports story of the year, played out on one of the biggest stages, Madison Square Garden. But the NBAís complicated labor rules forced Lin to shop around his services in order to maximize his next contract with the Knicks. At first, he did so brilliantly, according to numerous reports, originally getting Houston to offer him roughly $5 million for his first two years of his contract (the maximum anyone was allowed), and then a $9 million balloon in the third year, with a team option for a fourth.

Various Knicks sources, including their coach, playing poker as deftly as a late-night drunk at Circus Circus, announced that they would match it, and that was presumably that. A global marketing machine would remain in the global marketing capital, as had been his goal all along, Lin just told Sports Illustrated.

And this where Lin flunked miserably. After the clumsy Knicks showed their hand, Lin and Houston agreed to add another $5 million to his guaranteed salary in third year Ė a true poison pill, since that extra $5 million would cost the Knicks an extra $20 million or so, courtesy of the NBAís punitive new luxury tax, atop the effective $30 million bite they had already internalized.

I get why Houston did it. But why did Lin, as an equal party to the new offer, go along? I can only offer two theories:

Financial Certainty: With the revised offer, Lin guaranteed himself an extra $5 million in his pocket, three years from now. Thatís serious scratch for a man who had been sleeping on his brotherís couch earlier this year. And given legitimate worries that he was way overperforming during his magical 25 game coming out, taking the sure thing now makes some sense.

But why structure it in a way so punitive to New York? If it was all about certainty, Lin could have instead tried to guarantee that fourth year (or even a fifth year). At $9 million per, thatís way more downside protection, yet spreading it out in a way that didnít push the Knicks toward the fiscal cliff.

As for the upside, forcing the Knicks to even consider ending his tenure in New York is the truest definition of Linsanity. If Lin is even 80% as good as he showed in flashes last season, fronting a very good, very hyped Knicks team had the potential to bring him tens of millions in endorsements. But as Steve Herz, who cuts celebrity endorsement deals as president of IF Management previously told my colleague Tom Van Riper: ďLin leading the Charlotte Bobcats back to respectability wouldnít be that interesting. Itís not something that Coca-Cola is going to play $10 million for.Ē

Insert ďHouston RocketsĒ into that sentence, and you get Linís new reality. Rather than the golden boy on an obsessed-over team in the worldís media capital, heís now an above-average player on a below-average team in a low-profile city.

[pic - click to view]

Jeremy Lin May Be The Dumbest Harvard Grad Ever - Forbes

59 comments for "Forbes Magazine Calls Jeremy Lin The Dumbest Harvard Grad Ever LOL"

5 years ago '10        #2
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209 OP
space
space
Part 2:

Yes, Yao Ming made the Rockets popular in China. It’s another reason why Houston made a smart move here. But it doesn’t do much for Lin.

Ego: If you believe “sources close to Lin,” he was offended that the Knicks didn’t court him pro-actively (ignoring the fact that the way the system was set up, they needed to let someone else make an offer if he wanted more money). Compounding matters, when he sent out a Tweet trying to clarify, Lin said that such blind item stories are “probably not” true – the kind of squishy response that conjures the classic celebrity “I’m sorry if anyone was offended” apology.

Others have posited that he wanted to be the go-to guy on his team, versus share with ball hog Carmelo Anthony and the rest of the star-laden Knicks.

Even speculation in these areas damages Lin’s brand. People didn’t fall in love with Lin because he was a star player. They loved him because he’s an underdog, he was humble and he won. The choice he just made, amid the circus he helped create, undermines all of those attributes.

Last night, as I watched SportsCenter, the anchors declared these developments as the formal “end of Linsanity.” But it’s more accurate to say that Jeremy Lin sold it for a $5 million note three years from now – a monumentally foolish price for a brand that could have been golden.
In short:

Knicks Lost

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '11        #3
X_WunderKind_X 909 heat pts909
space
space
$42,162 | Props total: 17498 17498
The FO set him up, this guy knows nothing
 5 years ago '07        #4
r.burgundy 16 heat pts16
space
space
$39,827 | Props total: 4800 4800
dumbest forbes article eva.knicks played a bad game of poker,and lost.end of story.they shoulda just waited till midnight on tha original offer and matched
 5 years ago '10        #5
space
space
 X_WunderKind_X said:
The FO set him up, this guy knows nothing
Smooth you the homie but you can't keep going on this FO witch hunt

Lin played a part in this he wasn't as innocent as many believe him to be. With that said I agree & disagree with the article but it's an interesting and amusing article.
 5 years ago '11        #6
X_WunderKind_X 909 heat pts909
space
space
$42,162 | Props total: 17498 17498
 Agentzer0oo0 said:
Smooth you the homie but you can't keep going on this FO witch hunt

Lin played a part in this he wasn't as innocent as many believe him to be. With that said I agree & disagree with the article but it's an interesting and amusing article.
A witch hunt? lol this is Jimmy Dolan, he practically burns his own self at the stake.

I'll get over it soon, but this is the day after tho. We still fu*ked up no matter what by not getting anything for him, and if we are in win now mode like we say, I dont agree with the moves that we've made making us Championship contenders, which is what all this is about, winning a championship. I know we just got into the playoffs 2 years ago, but we haven't had a better roster in I don't know how long.

How far do you think we can get with this roster constructed?
 07-18-2012, 03:31 PM         #7
King Jove 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
went from being cut and living on a couch to a starter and media star with one of the biggest fanbases in sports making millons of dollars with hundreds of asians bi*ches that want to sucky sucky.

sounds like winning to me.
 5 years ago '10        #8
space
space
 X_WunderKind_X said:
A witch hunt? lol this is Jimmy Dolan, he practically burns his own self at the stake.

I'll get over it soon, but this is the day after tho. We still fu*ked up no matter what by not getting anything for him, and if we are in win now mode like we say, I dont agree with the moves that we've made making us Championship contenders, which is what all this is about, winning a championship. I know we just got into the playoffs 2 years ago, but we haven't had a better roster in I don't know how long.

How far do you think we can get with this roster constructed?
true, true

And yea now that you said it I get where you coming from. It's a lot of built up frustration from our history, our continual incompetence, the questionable roster decisions, I understand

As far as where I think we can go honestly I believe a second round upset is our ceiling. I'm passionate about us winning a title in the next 2 years but being realistic, at the most the furthest we are getting is to the ECF.
 5 years ago '08        #9
The N 466 heat pts466
space
space
$45,481 | Props total: 17033 17033
Knicks ain't winning sh*t, realistically speaking

EFC will be HEAT VS CELTICS for years to come

those two Organizations only play to WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS NOW
 5 years ago '08        #10
The N 466 heat pts466
space
space
$45,481 | Props total: 17033 17033
 White Face said:
Lin sucks tho
nah he can ball, he like 23 year olds and had that LINSANITY dude MADE A BRAND OF HIMSELF LAST SEASON, nobody on the Knicks did anything like that or anything to get the Knicks a much needed winning streak that got them into the Playoffs.

LIN ain't no SUPERSTAR but he is a STAR in the making at this point, in Houston with Stern/NBA giving him the YAO treatment he will become an international STAR for the NBA. This guy is unique for the NBA brand, ain't no other LIN's out there look around, KNICKS LOST that aspect of his value.
 5 years ago '10        #11
space
space
 The N said:

You not taking into circumstances. People had the Bulls & Heat pegged for the ECF every year but what happened? Rose went down.

So you don't know if key members on the heat or celtics go down with injuries or start playing atrocious come playoff time or whatever.
 5 years ago '04        #12
refuze 284 heat pts284
space
space
$18,669 | Props total: 15376 15376
Knicks have no problem paying huge contracts for one dimensional players like Amare and Carmelo but don't want to shell out the cash for a player with huge upside.

The worst part is that they got NOTHING in return. Absolutely NOTHING.
 5 years ago '05        #13
BronxBombers 195 heat pts195
space
space
$37,691 | Props total: 2418 2418
 The N said:

Like The Nets Going anywhere

NETSLOST f*ggot
 5 years ago '05        #14
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,729 | Props total: 12514 12514
What a stupid forbes article. Clearly the writer is a hurt Knicks fan.

Provide a list of grads from Harvard in the last 5 years who are worth 25mil.
 5 years ago '11        #15
maxnn 129 heat pts129
space
space
$12,180 | Props total: 1034 1034
Knicks should have still matched. I know i'm spending Dolans money by saying that, but Dolan never has had problems paying the luxury tax before, and if you didn't want to pay that tax he could have traded him in two years to a team that is desperate to get attendance up.
 5 years ago '07        #16
INFAMOUS 13 heat pts13
space
space
space
$35,778 | Props total: 2740 2740
[email changed - confirm acct by email]
#LinLost
 5 years ago '05        #17
Hold That 103 heat pts103
space
space
$36,729 | Props total: 12514 12514
 maxnn said:
Knicks should have still matched. I know i'm spending Dolans money by saying that, but Dolan never has had problems paying the luxury tax before, and if you didn't want to pay that tax he could have traded him in two years to a team that is desperate to get attendance up.
The luxury tax has never been more expensive than it is now. You don't lose money for Jeremy Lin. Dolan made the.right.choice.
 5 years ago '12        #18
AceBoogie 45 heat pts45
space
space
$6,201 | Props total: 59 59
i dont know if the lockout really helped anyone tho. small market teams like okc cant afford to keep the players they "earned" and the knicks cant win
 5 years ago '11        #19
Trolling 64 heat pts64
space
space
$1,947 | Props total: 56 56
#linlost
 5 years ago '10        #20
Smoke500 37 heat pts37
space
space
$10,480 | Props total: 275 275
This is a dumbass article. They could have signed him to a contract early on....they told him to go "shop around"

This story is about as dumb as when newspapers wrote those articles about Melo being jealous of Lin and selfish. You can't be okay with this and not be okay with what happened to Melo

He could have made plenty from endorsements staying here. He went to the team where his future was 1000x secure. Don't ask me to trust the team that was willing to fcking trade Shump
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
44 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
56 comments
21 hours ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Video inside He just burned the soul of a lazy teacher
95 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
59 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
23 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
I love things about her, but I still don't love her
74 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
73 comments
20 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Video inside Time Traveler Came From 4126 To Give This Message
66 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy