NFL Todd Todd Todd Mcshay first mock.
48 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Video inside DJ Khaled pays homage to Wayne
35 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Even Dr.Disrespect can get caught up in the life it seems......
73 comments
@games

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #1
5976 pageviews
60 comments

doczdaname 28 heat pts28
space
space
space
$12,985 | Props total: 5029 5029
Kobe: David Stern's idea 'stupid'

[pic - click to view]

http://espn.go.com/olympi .. pt-stupid-idea

MANCHESTER, England -- After saying in Las Vegas that he hopes NBA pros will continue to represent their countries in the Olympics, Kobe Bryant voiced his dismay with the 23-and-under concept floated by NBA commissioner David Stern in even stronger terms Tuesday when Team USA arrived in the United Kingdom ahead of London 2012.

Speaking at an appearance at the town hall in Manchester not long after the Americans reached British soil via an overnight flight after Monday night's exhibition victory over Brazil in Washington, D.C., Bryant branded Stern's proposal to restrict the NBA's Olympic involvement to players aged 23 and younger as "stupid."

"It's a stupid idea," Bryant told local reporters at the reception to welcome them to Manchester in advance of Thursday night's exhibition game here against Team Great Britain. "It should be a (player's) choice."

Asked how much he and his Team USA teammates have talked about Stern's proposal since getting together in Vegas on July 5, Bryant said: "Our discussion is this: Basically, it's just a dumb idea and we (discuss) it that way. ... We just discuss it like that (and) kind of voice our opinions through you (media) guys."

Bryant, subsequently, wasted no time getting comfortable with his new surroundings. Shortly after the town hall stop, Bryant and longtime personal skills guru Tim Grover were spotted strolling along the Deansgate strip of Manchester's city center in the company of a tour guide and a small security detail ... with Bryant decked out in full Team USA practice gear and stopping occasionally to snap pictures with excited fans who recognized him.

His comments about the Olympic age debate expounded upon sentiments Bryant shared during Team USA's recent week-plus stay in Vegas, where he was openly dismissive of the injury concerns frequently raised by NBA owners such as Dallas' Mark Cuban.

The Los Angeles Times quoted Bryant as saying, "I think that's the wrong way to look at things. If I'm an owner, I would want my player to play (internationally) because I understand that they're going to be playing anyway, going to be playing pickup basketball in the summertime, and I'm not going to be able to know where they are. They could be playing against a bunch of bums -- no, really -- guys that feel like they have something to prove and all of a sudden, a (star player) goes to the rim and a guy takes them out and now he's hurt.

"Here you're playing against the best guys, you have treatment around the clock, your (NBA) coaching staff can always come sit in the stands and view practice. To me, playing on an Olympic basketball team is actually better if you're an owner."

With Team USA poised to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the original Dream Team that captivated the world and changed international basketball forever at the Summer Games in Barcelona, Stern announced at the NBA Finals that the league needed to "step back and take stock of where we're going" in terms of sending its best and, often, most highly paid players to the Olympics.

The change Stern favors is switching to a system similar to that used in men's Olympic soccer -- which is a 23-and-under competition with three overage players allowed per country -- and allowing all NBA players to remain eligible for the quadrennial FIBA World Championship. That competition will be renamed the World Cup of Basketball in 2014 and, if eligibility changes also are made, theoretically sets up NBA owners to finally earn a share of revenues in return for allowing their top players to participate. At present, NBA teams get no revenue from the Olympic basketball tournament.

It's thus conceivable this summer's London Games might be the last time that Team USA is comprised of America's best NBAers, but Team USA chairman Jerry Colangelo is also resistant to the proposed changes.

"I don't want to change anything because I like what we have," Colangelo told the Times earlier this month. "We take care of our players and I think we do the right things.

"You need a lot of things to fall into place in order for all of this to happen. You need the cooperation and the votes and support of a lot of people. So when I hear something like this, I say it may happen. The real question is when. Is it '16, is it 2020? Don't know at this point. It's a long way from the finish line."

Injuries have been the major storyline for Team USA for months, thanks to a succession of serious setbacks during the lockout-compacted regular season that knocked London finalists Dwight Howard (back), Dwyane Wade (knee), Chris Bosh (abdominal muscle), LaMarcus Aldridge (knee) and Chauncey Billups (torn Achilles) off the roster before coach Mike Krzyzewski could hold a single practice in Vegas. Team USA then lost Blake Griffin to a re-aggravated knee injury that this week required arthroscopic surgery.

In Manchester, when asked if he understands the concerns of NBA owners, Bryant scoffed, saying such reservations are motivated by owners merely wanting "to protect their investments."

Team USA guard Chris Paul also appeared at the town hall event, dismissed concerns about his recent thumb injury during training camp and said in support of Bryant: "I heard about this a while ago and I was thankful they haven't thought about (Stern's proposal) now, because if they were, I wouldn't be able to play now because I'm 27 years old. I personally would like for it to be your own decision, because playing in an Olympics -- this will be my second -- is the greatest experience of my life.

"If you look at the track record for it, I can honestly say my best season in the NBA statistically was the 2008-09 season, which was after my first Olympics. You see guys, when they come back from playing on a team like this, they go into the new season with the ultimate confidence. We talk during the season, we talk about how tired we're going to be in the summer, but as soon as we all get out to Vegas, we're excited. We're ready to go -- it's on. It's better than being at home just working out and playing ball. You get to play against the best players in the world."

Last edited by doczdaname; 07-17-2012 at 08:20 PM..

60 comments for "Kobe: David Stern's idea 'stupid'"

5 years ago '09        #2
Lupe Hunter 77 heat pts77
space
space
$15,518 | Props total: 5708 5708
Kobe doesn't give a fu*k anymore
Dude is about to retire in two years so he's like fu*k it
 5 years ago '05        #3
Bea5T 137 heat pts137
space
space
$20,515 | Props total: 206 206
goddamn, kobe is on his barkley this olympic trip
 5 years ago '12        #4
Kastanova 91 heat pts91
space
space
$16,234 | Props total: 1391 1391
We fu*ked.... we not getting any calls or ref help come playoff time just like when Bron & Wade made those comments about Stern
 5 years ago '04        #5
ghettofied 341 heat pts341
space
space
$21,889 | Props total: 8223 8223
 Kastanova said:
We fu*ked.... we not getting any calls or ref help come playoff time just like when Bron & Wade made those comments about Stern
Scar, you got 16 championships bro. I think you'll be ok man.
 5 years ago '07        #6
Cartel-Clipz 28 heat pts28
space
space
$29,393 | Props total: 21535 21535
 MichaelKnight said:
dammit now Lakers arent winnin the chip this year
 5 years ago '04        #7
A.G 27 heat pts27
space
space
space
$39,409 | Props total: 3456 3456
 MichaelKnight said:
 5 years ago '12        #8
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,762 | Props total: 22144 22144
 ghettofied said:
Scar, you got 16 championships bro. I think you'll be ok man.
No, we won't.
 5 years ago '04        #9
GollyI'mGully 69 heat pts69
space
space
$7,735 | Props total: 400 400

[pic - click to view]

"give that n*gga kobe even less fouls"
 5 years ago '04        #10
space
space
 ThePainkiller said:
No, we won't.
My post was pointed towards Scar. Not you, sir.
 5 years ago '07        #11
blackjewelz 
space
space
$5,446 | Props total: 3247 3247
How many players have actually gotten hurt during Olympic play for it to be that big of a concern??
 5 years ago '04        #12
space
space
 MichaelKnight said:
we have very high expectations comin into every season, i know u wouldnt understand n*gga. after all ur guys goal each year is to get the 1st pick in the draft... maybe yall will finally get it this year.
HAHA, oh you Lakers stans are funny. It would be nice to have another team win the title is all I'm saying. I know 95 percent of you a.ss holes are bandwagoners and Kobe fans. But seriously, 9 title winners the past 35 years. This is why the NBA isn't everybody's favorite sport. NFL>NBA all day every day.
 5 years ago '12        #13
ThePainkiller 347 heat pts347
space
space
$69,762 | Props total: 22144 22144
 ghettofied said:
I don't care.
 5 years ago '04        #14
space
space
 ThePainkiller said:
I don't care.
Then don't comment. It's better to not type unless typed about.
 5 years ago '05        #15
Dun Language 3971 heat pts3971
space
space
$75,921 | Props total: 30305 30305
 ghettofied said:
dissed that soggy face n*gga pain k!ller. always in n*ggas business like someone talking to his bo legged a.ss
 5 years ago '04        #16
space
space
 Dun Language said:
dissed that soggy face n*gga pain k!ller. always in n*ggas business like someone talking to his bo legged a.ss
Lots of clown Lakers and Kobe stans on this site dude. Gotta keep them in check, Scar tries hard but he can't check em all.
 5 years ago '04        #17
doczdaname 28 heat pts28 OP
space
space
space
$12,985 | Props total: 5029 5029
I'm sure he will get fined for this
 07-17-2012, 08:46 PM         #18
k3llz 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Kobe on his Barkley "I'm Not A Role Model" sh*t right now lmao
 07-17-2012, 08:48 PM         #19
youknowmystelo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 MichaelKnight said:
 5 years ago '12        #20
DontHateDaGreat 10 heat pts10
space
space
$12,358 | Props total: 2100 2100
 ghettofied said:
HAHA, oh you Lakers stans are funny. It would be nice to have another team win the title is all I'm saying. I know 95 percent of you a.ss holes are bandwagoners and Kobe fans. But seriously, 9 title winners the past 35 years. This is why the NBA isn't everybody's favorite sport. NFL>NBA all day every day.
Heat just won and the mavericks won before that. It's been a two year drought that shouldn't satisfy your laker hate for the moment? Is having every (or almost every team) win a title within the next 32 years gonna make it better? What's wrong with fans of a team wanting more titles? Guess celtics fans shouldn't want more titles for the celtics since they have the most?

Kobe is becoming a loose cannon tho you can tell he give no fu*ks. Probably didn't give too many before but now towards the end of his career with no phil jackson he's taking shots at anybody. Anything for an offseason story i guess
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside 2 Arrest Made in The Murder of Rapper Chinx
125 comments
22 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Houston Better Stop Playing With Me 😩
42 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now