Nas' "Life Is Good" Proves Jay-Z Right?

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
125 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
110 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
66 comments
@movies

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '11        #61
ChickBoss414 27 heat pts27
space
space
$1,547 | Props total: 318 318
 Hovi Bryant said:
That's where I have a problem. I don't think Nas is qualified to educate others. Hell, I don't think any hip hop artist is qualified for that matter. Most are dropouts, have poor grammar and have a limited vocabulary.

Nas is no exception, yet I believe he is at his best when he relates political and societal struggles with his own upbringing and life experiences. It makes the music much more genuine than just another notch on his belt or subject checked on a list of topics.

I agree that the fact that him speaking on the subject generates awareness, but how much more than what we already have? He didn't elaborate any more than what we've learned in grade school, or from what our grandparents told us directly. With racism alive and well almost every day, how much more awareness can be generated? Nas' audience is mostly minority in terms of racial demographics?

I can underdig that postion, however, I would rather have a Nas trying to relate and create conceptual art and awareness through the music over, say, a Michael Eric Dyson (a "masturbating hip hop intellectual") who would speak over most of the audience we are trying to empower....

His articulation of philosophy an ideology helps to people to tune him out and scare them away because it is presented in a manner that can be interpreted as "arrogant" and "off-putting" to his own people...(and I am a reader of many of his works) I witnessed this first hand at a forum he was apart of at a local university...

That "talented tenth" that W.E.B DuBois spoke of can do more harm than good in this day and age of ignorance....It can be the device of the divide......Yet, someone who can relate and speak "the same language" is something NaS was able to do, while trying to expand the mind and empower (with that album) at the same tme...
 5 years ago '10        #62
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,731 | Props total: 19626 19626
 Real said:
Fixed.
Not really. Most would say you're incorrect.

His name has a plural sound, adding the apostrophe-s lends to an awkward sound. The single apostrophe denotes the same purpose.
 5 years ago '04        #63
Real 2 heat pts
space
space
$391 | Props total: 0 0
 Hovi Bryant said:
Not really. Most would say you're incorrect.

His name has a plural sound, adding the apostrophe-s lends to an awkward sound. The single apostrophe denotes the same purpose.
Most people, including yourself would be wrong. Having an "awkward sound" doesn't justify omitting an entire rule of grammar. Possession is being shown, you can't ignore a grammar rule just because the name ends in s. A rule is a rule. The only reason Nas' is even acceptable is because so many people have become accustomed to ignoring the rule like you said. You're welcome.

Last edited by Real; 07-12-2012 at 12:05 PM..
 5 years ago '05        #64
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
$13,334 | Props total: 1672 1672
People need to stop hating on Untitled, fu*k is wrong with y'all. It's such a cohesive piece of body of work.

1. Lost Tapes - 10/10 (2001)
2. Illmatic - 10/10 (1994)
3. It Was Written - 9.5/10 (1996)
4. Untitled - 9.5/10 (2008)
5. Stillmatic - 9/10 (2001)
6. Distant Relatives - 8.5/10 (2011)
7. God's Son - 8/10 (2002)
8. I Am - 7.5/10 (1999)
9. Hip-Hop I Dead - 6/10 (2006)
10. Street's Disciple - 5/10 (2004)
11. Nastradamus - 3/10 (1999)

Can't rate Life Is Good yet. But nonetheless, to entertain this thread, here's my breakdown of the number of "good" (i.e. 7/10+) albums he's had during the decades.

Decade of the 90s
  • One perfect album (Illmatic)
  • One near perfect album (IWW)
  • One good album (I Am)
= 3 hot albums.

Decade of the 00s
  • One perfect album (Lost Tapes)
  • Three great albums (Stillmatic, God's Son, Untitled)
= 4 hot albums

Decade of the 10s
  • Two great albums (if we include Life Is Good, according to OP and Distant Relatives)
= 2 hot albums so far

Conclusion
Jay-Z is wrong

Thus, Jay-Z's line should've been "that's 2.6666667 hot albums every 10 year average", but then again not really, considering this decade just started. Give Nas the benefit of the doubt and say he'll have 3 hot albums every 10 year average.

Last edited by Left Hook; 07-12-2012 at 12:08 PM..
 5 years ago '11        #65
Retro 83 heat pts83
space
space
space
$21,151 | Props total: 369 369
 Left Hook said:
People need to stop hating on Untitled, fu*k is wrong with y'all. It's such a cohesive piece of body of work.

8. I Am - 7.5/10 (1999)

Can't rate Life Is Good yet. But nonetheless, to entertain this thread, here's my breakdown of the number of "good" (i.e. 7/10+) albums he's had during the decades.

Decade of the 90s
  • One good album (I Am)
= 3 hot albums.

Decade of the 00s
= 4 hot albums

Decade of the 10s
  • Two great albums (if we include Life Is Good, according to OP and Distant Relatives)
= 2 hot albums so far

Conclusion
Jay-Z is wrong

Thus, Jay-Z's line should've been "that's 2.6666667 hot albums every 10 year average", but then again not really, considering this decade just started. Give Nas the benefit of the doubt and say he'll have 3 hot albums every 10 year average.
/thread
 5 years ago '10        #66
Mocking Mind 2 heat pts
space
space
$7,448 | Props total: 88 88
 Left Hook said:

8. I Am - 7.5/10 (1999)

Decade of the 90s
  • One good album (I Am)
= 3 hot albums.

Decade of the 00s
= 4 hot albums

Decade of the 10s
= 2 hot albums so far

Conclusion
Jay-Z is wrong

I agree and all, but Untitled 9.5 tho?
 5 years ago '04        #67
Real 2 heat pts
space
space
 Left Hook said:

8. I Am - 7.5/10 (1999)

Decade of the 90s
  • One good album (I Am)
= 3 hot albums.

Decade of the 00s
= 4 hot albums

Decade of the 10s
= 2 hot albums so far

Conclusion
Jay-Z is wrong

/thread
 5 years ago '05        #68
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
I know someone's gonna say my math was off 'cause I divided 8 albums by 3 decades to get 2.66667 even though I stated there were 9 hot albums (hence making the average to 3 hot albums every 10 year average), but I didn't include Life Is Good in my initial math.

So if you include Life Is Good and give Nas the extra benefit of the doubt, that's more than 3 hot albums every 10 year average. Jay was off by a good 300%
 5 years ago '04        #69
skillahmang 2 heat pts
space
space
$23,694 | Props total: 11376 11376
 Left Hook said:
I know someone's gonna say my math was off 'cause I divided 8 albums by 3 decades to get 2.66667 even though I stated there were 9 hot albums (hence making the average to 3 hot albums every 10 year average), but I didn't include Life Is Good in my initial math.

So if you include Life Is Good and give Nas the extra benefit of the doubt, that's more than 3 hot albums every 10 year average. Jay was off by a good 300%

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '10        #70
space
space
 Real said:
Most people, including yourself would be wrong. Having an "awkward sound" doesn't justify omitting an entire rule of grammar. Possession is being shown, you can't ignore a grammar rule just because the name ends in s. A rule is a rule. The only reason Nas' is even acceptable is because so many people have become accustomed to ignoring the rule like you said. You're welcome.

Shall we look this up? Did you bother with any research before even attempting to "correct" me?

I was a.ssuming you did. But I clearly see that you didn't. I'm really disappointed with you.

When someone's name ends with an "s," it is acceptable to use an apostrophe without an "s" to show ownership. For example, "Isis' temple." If you don't like how the s-less apostrophe looks, rework the order to be something like "the temple of Isis."

However, this IS NOT a defined RULE in which one is either correct or incorrect. The English language constantly changes and such a scenario is one of them.

For example, spell check will not "correct" Jones's or Jones'. It's preference, and most English professors and teachers will shun the usage of the former, however they will accept it.

So don't bother trying to "fix" any of my posts again. I got it you fu*king idioit.
 5 years ago '05        #71
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,240 | Props total: 9646 9646
 Mocking Mind said:
It really is fantastic. I consider it, artistically, his second best album just ahead of it was written. Not to paint with a broad stroke, but a lot of the dumber people I knew either didn't like it or didn't get it. IMO it's wildly underrated in terms of what people think of HHID and Stillmatic.
 5 years ago '05        #72
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
 Mocking Mind said:
 King856 said:
stillmatic is way better then untitled come on keep it real
It is what it is personally. I was travelling around the country during that time, so I had that album on play every day while I was going around different places, from NY, LA to Alaska. The album reflected so much of the country's history, and for it to be witnessed right in front of my eyes, it was like a cultural and musical mix that probably I could only appreciate while I was travelling.

That album is a classic, personally. Like, listening to "America" while I was actually going around America, meeting new people and doing new things every day, is something I'll remember forever.

Just a personal recollection meshed with the fondness I have with the album's themes
 5 years ago '08        #73
Future 44 heat pts44
space
space
$34,246 | Props total: 1276 1276
 hollabizak said:
I highly doubted
1)Tupac
2)Ice Cube
3)Biggie
4)Eminem
5)Rakim
Ice Cube number 2??? Haha

Only rapper better than Nas is Tupac
 5 years ago '05        #74
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
 skillahmang said:

[pic - click to view]

So on that note, "smarten up", Jay He clearly couldn't divide
 5 years ago '10        #75
space
space
 ChickBoss414 said:
I can underdig that postion, however, I would rather have a Nas trying to relate and create conceptual art and awareness through the music over, say, a Michael Eric Dyson (a "masturbating hip hop intellectual") who would speak over most of the audience we are trying to empower....

His articulation of philosophy an ideology helps to people to tune him out and scare them away because it is presented in a manner that can be interpreted as "arrogant" and "off-putting" to his own people...(and I am a reader of many of his works) I witnessed this first hand at a forum he was apart of at a local university...

That "talented tenth" that W.E.B DuBois spoke of can do more harm than good in this day and age of ignorance....It can be the device of the divide......Yet, someone who can relate and speak "the same language" is something NaS was able to do, while trying to expand the mind and empower (with that album) at the same tme...
You're going to have to break this down for me. I don't understand your point, outside of you preferring Nas doing this versus say...Soulja Boy.

In the end, to me that's like saying you trust Ray Allen more than Reggie Miller to take the last shot.
 5 years ago '04        #76
Real 2 heat pts
space
space
 Hovi Bryant said:
Shall we look this up? Did you bother with any research before even attempting to "correct" me?

I was a.ssuming you did. But I clearly see that you didn't. I'm really disappointed with you.

However, this IS NOT a defined RULE in which one is either correct or incorrect. The English language constantly changes and such a scenario is one of them.

For example, spell check will not "correct" Jones's or Jones'. It's preference, and most English professors and teachers will shun the usage of the former, however they will accept it.

So don't bother trying to "fix" any of my posts again. I got it you fu*king idioit.
LMAO. I don't need to look it up because I know what I'm talking about as you just proved for me. Like I said, the majority have ignored the rule as you did. So that "constantly changing English language" has made it acceptable for the ignorant to use Nas'.. You're welcome...again. Don't be mad and too prideful to accept corrections. It is what it is.
 5 years ago '10        #77
space
space
 King856 said:
niche artist can go forever tho. WHile Jay-z hops on kanye's d!ck because he hasn't made a hot album in 5 years

BP 3 was utter trash lets talk about that disappointment? he recruiting Cudi,Drake ,ALicia Keys and still put out garbage

while Jay is making music to remain "hot" Nas is catering to the fans that will buy his album no matter what.

a loyal fanbase>>>>>>>>>>> pop culture
Jay-Z has more than just a nitch following...

He can put out trash (by his standards) and it will go platinum in less than a month.

He can sell out concerts as soon as it's announced. I can't believe you're actually attributing the strength of the name "Jay-Z" alone to Kanye West. That's asinine.

If someone, or something has his co-sign, it immediately garners attention. You're not giving the man enough credit.

So let me know when you're done hating.

Five years ago was American Gangster. 8/10, 4/5 however you want to slice it. Hot album. Just recently, Watch the Throne, another 8/10, 4/5. Get over it.
 07-12-2012, 12:29 PM         #78
Karamu 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
10 years is Gods Son and thats his last great album before LIG IMO

SD is awful, HHID is mediocre, and Untitled is borderline decent
 5 years ago '05        #79
WCIB 111 heat pts111
space
space
$25,240 | Props total: 9646 9646
 King856 said:
how smart do you have to be to get it? y'all are taking it way to far now. I love Nas but lets stop acting like he's so smart

Stillmatic was raw and uncut. we can go song for song and still matic will definitely win this argument

he was just so much hungrier w stillmatic. he was being question after a few meh albums. Stillmatic put him back into the conversation as far as greatness
I think Left Hook put it very eloquently a few posts above.

It's apples and oranges to me, but I'll say this. Stillmatic is very raw and gutter. It's a true testament to Nas' ability as an emcee. But Untitled is something different to me. It's almost more than rap and more than emceeing. It hits me on a deeper level than stillmatic. But let's not get it twisted, I still think it's like 9.9 for Untitled and 9.5 for stillmatic which isn't that big of a difference.
 5 years ago '05        #80
Left Hook 28 heat pts28
space
space
 Ghost Writer said:
lol you should be an MC statistician...

P.S. Your signature cuts off....
Cuts off for people using Safari and Chrome, I think. Cuts off for me too but oh well

By the way, it's nearly been a year since Cole won Time sure does fly
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
137 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
89 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
70 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
296 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Kelly Oubre with the supreme sleeve in a game
79 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joyner Lucas responds back to criticisms of “I’m not racist”
103 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
76 comments
1 day ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy