How to get FREE 2012 Sunday Ticket with DirecTV (Current customers not new sign-ups)

most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
40 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
86 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
30 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Learn the difference between a DR. Wife and a "Boxden Simp Thot"!
61 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-11-2012, 11:54 AM         #1
22161 pageviews
75 comments

KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
How to get FREE 2012 Sunday Ticket with DirecTV (Current customers not new sign-ups)

I JUST got a free season of NFL Sunday Ticket with DirecTV - not by signing up - this will only work for customers who have been active for at least a month (and hopefully like me you had Sunday Ticket 2011 to make it go smoother).

As any DirecTV customers probably know, last night at midnight you lost a block of Viacom owned channels (Comedy Central, Nick, BET, MTV, Spike, Nick JR, etc) because they failed to get the negotiation done in time. The blackout was supposed to begin at midnight on July 1st, and was extended 10 days, but the deal did not get done. So last night if you were watching a Viacom owned channel on DirecTV you lost service and were left only with this message.
"Viacom, the owner of this channel, forced us to suspend it despite our many requests to keep it on. We're working on bringing it back without an unfair increase to your bill. Disruptions are brief. Go to Directvpromise.com for the latest information"

[pic - click to view]

What you may not know is that this constitutes a breach of contract on the provider end, and even if the channels DO come back, it might include a rate hike, which is also a breach of contract - they are only allowed to raise rates with a single annual rate hike, not any other time. Essentially by removing these channels, or making you pay more than what you signed on your agreement, they changed the terms of your service without you agreeing. This means you are allowed to break your contract, since they broke the terms of their provider contract. If you want to leave DirecTV without paying an early cancellation fee, now would be a good time, but if you are like me that is a pain and you would just like them to compensate you for the loss of shows.

This means you have MAJOR negotiation leverage with them - installation of the dish is expensive, and they need you to keep the service for 2 years to make a good profit. They DO NOT want you leaving them because they failed to offer you the service you paid for.

So here is what you do. Call up DirecTV customer service.
the cancellation number is 1-800-531-5000
Enter your phone number, and the prompt will ask you what you are calling for. Say "cancel service"
This will bring you to an initial operator. They will verify account information and ask you what you want to do. Tell her that you are very upset that DirecTV has changed the terms of their service agreement, that this constitutes a breach of their provider terms, and you want to cancel service because of this. The first operator will transfer you to the Account Retention department, which is the department that can give you freebies to try and get you to stay with them.

Once you have been transferred to Retention, be nice. Be courteous. Be professional, but be firm. DO NOT YELL OR GET ANGRY IN ANY WAY OR THEY WILL JUST MOVE TO CANCEL YOUR SERVICE OR CALL YOUR BLUFF AND SAY THEY WILL CHARGE YOU EARLY TERMINATION FEES. Nobody likes being yelled at for something that they did not do, and you need the rep to want to work FOR you, not AGAINST you. This should not be confrontational in ANY way, you should be upset that they breached the terms, and let them know that normally you are relatively happy with service... but not TOO happy.

Dictate the conversation. Tell them that you were watching one of these channels last night and it cut out, and then this morning it has been removed from your programming line up (you may want to verify this first so you don't name a channel that you don't even get, that will end this right then and there). Tell them you are not happy with what amounts to, on there end, a breach of contract, and that you want to cancel your service. Name one of the channels as the channel you watch all the time, that you are not interested in service without this/these channels. Not only are you NOT confident that they will get the deal done, but that you are not happy with an extra rate hike that may come if they get the deal done.

They a.ssure you the channels will come back (let them know you are not confident they will, and you are not pleased with having to pay more), and they will ask you if there is anything they can do to make this period without your favorite channels better. Say something like "I don't know, what are you thinking of?" Do not say "No, there is nothing you can do" because they may move to cancel your service, and the point of this is not to get out of your contract, but to get free Sunday Ticket 2012. DO NOT bring up Sunday Ticket YET - be patient. Let them go through the standard offers.

So at first they will offer you the standard 50$ credit. Tell them that you are not interested. They may go higher to 100$, or they may ask you if "you like movies?" - tell them once again you are not interested. You don't need the money, and you don't care about movies, it is about your favorite channels and the possibility of losing them. If you got a free movie package like I did, you can say "Well, when I signed up I got free movies for 3 months, and on the 4th month you charged me for them without telling me I had to cancel, so I don't really like how you handle movies"

Now they will probably ask you what they could do. This is where you have to chime in - say something like "well I really like football, and I heard about Sunday Ticket," wait for their response, if it is not favorable say something like
"if I could watch all my teams I wouldn't even care about (my favorite channel) if you got it back or not"

Alternately if you are like me and signed up with Free Sunday Ticket 2011, then you say "Well, I signed up last year and got free Sunday Ticket 2011, I was led to believe that it would be free next year, but I found out it is not for 2012 and I have to pay for it again. I would think that if you gave me Sunday Ticket this year, then that would be a value worth it for me to stay with you"

or if you paid for it last year say something like "Well, I had Sunday Ticket last year, and I really like the service, but I am not going to get the service without my other favorite channel. If you guys gave me Sunday Ticket for this year I think it would be worth it and I would not care about missing (my favorite channel)"

At this point you will probably be told something like "OK let me see what I can do for you" and put on silent hold. This is your Customer Service Rep checking with his manager, since it is a 200$ value and they need manager approval for anything usually over 100$.

When they come back, they should inform you (like they did me) that you are getting Sunday Ticket 2012, and they are giving you a $195 credit to cover the full cost. You will get email confirmation, and the Sunday Ticket $195 charge and subsequent credit will appear on your billing statement.

If for some reason you get rejected, which will only happen if a million people do this or you sound like you are reading a script from the internet (don't be like that - practice if you are terrible with talking to people) - tell them that you have to think about it, and you will call them back later, or tell them you have to go to work, and that this call has taken too long, or whatever other reason. However it should go smooth if you are in general not an idiot, and you should get the confirmation email sent within a few minutes.

Hope you enjoy your free Sunday Ticket, but keep in mind you can always use this guide to get another service, perhaps several months of movies, or a bill credit. Since the removal of these channels DOES constitute a breach of contract, and it DOES entitle you to get out of your contract without the early cancellation fee, you can use this as a powerful negotiation tool. Keep in mind, if you sound jittery the rep MAY decide to pull your bluff and tell you that you have to pay the early termination fee. Tell them that this is not legal, since THEY broke the contract on the provider end, and you are not obligated to pay the early termination fee. If that doesn't work, tell them that your uncle/dad/brother/sister/etc is a lawyer and you know your rights, and you will not accept an early termination fee. However, it should not come to this, as it did not for me. My call time from start to finish was 27 minutes, and it should not run much longer than half an hour, since this included all the legal information they are required to read me. I would say if you are getting over 30 minutes and still have not been offered the Sunday Ticket, you should tell them you have to go and try back in 3 or 4 hours.

KEEP IN MIND this will only work as long as the Viacom channel blackout is going on. If the channels come back tomorrow, you will have no case for terminating your contract without paying the termination fee, and you will lose your negotiation advantage. Renegotiate the terms of your contract now, it is your right.

75 comments for "How to get FREE 2012 Sunday Ticket with DirecTV (Current customers not new sign-ups)"

07-11-2012, 12:12 PM         #2
BKLYNTAKEOVER  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 5 years ago '07        #3
theynd 11 heat pts11
space
space
$691 | Props total: 406 406
Good sh*t
Calling right now
 5 years ago '08        #4
d3athb4dishonor 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,470 | Props total: 562 562
Hahahhaa my boxden brethren I will try this when I get home but good looks. Lemme ask those did they give you the regular ticket or the max ticket for free???
 07-11-2012, 12:17 PM         #5
KrugeR  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Hope this hooks people up, companies that provide service are always renegotiating with you, now that you have some leverage it's good to get back.

Just regular sunday ticket, you may try and play even harder-ball and get max ticket, getting Max ticket for 100$ is not a bad deal either tho if I decide to upgrade
"Thank you for contacting DIRECTV. We have updated your account with a credit of $197.94. Please print or keep a copy of this email for your records."

Last edited by KrugeR; 07-11-2012 at 12:20 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #6
theynd 11 heat pts11
space
space
$691 | Props total: 406 406
damn yall...lady was trying to be difficult on me
but got $10 off for the next 24 months!
thanks for the $240 saving...
 5 years ago '08        #7
EMER1TUS 11 heat pts11
space
space
$34,761 | Props total: 12229 12229
I worked for DirecTV as a Field Sales Rep...he is right call Rentention and pretty much do as he said. May work may not all depends on how Trill "you" are at getting what you want feel me. If you the type to go along with what people say then you gonna get a $50 credit or some movie channels but if you know how to talk to people to get what you really want this will prolly work.

Another example: my brother used was with the NBA League Pass...he had it pre-lockout season but they charged him for it this year....he called, told them he was charged the full price for it (unknowingly lol)and that he didn't want it (knowing he did lol) but he ended up getting the whole season for free. He was already watching the games when the season started but he called a third of the season through and got them to give him the rest of the season for free...its all in how you talk to people my dudes...No BS I was a DirecTV Sales Rep...TS handled this the right way.
 07-11-2012, 01:20 PM         #8
KrugeR  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Mike Nitty said:
I worked for DirecTV as a Field Sales Rep...he is right call Rentention and pretty much do as he said. May work may not all depends on how Trill "you" are at getting what you want feel me. If you the type to go along with what people say then you gonna get a $50 credit or some movie channels but if you know how to talk to people to get what you really want this will prolly work.
Pretty much - I work in contract sales sometimes and talking to CSRs is always really easy for me because I have to negotiate a lot anyway. It's all a back and forth game and you have to sound like you know what you are talking about, if not actually know what you are talking about.
 07-11-2012, 01:20 PM         #9
KrugeR  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 theynd said:
damn yall...lady was trying to be difficult on me
but got $10 off for the next 24 months!
thanks for the $240 saving...
You technically got a bigger dollar value credit than I did, so you did pretty good for yourself.
 07-11-2012, 01:26 PM         #10
Ca$h Out  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
didn't direct tv lose like 20 sum viacom channels? lol everybody on twitter said they bout to leave.

5 years ago '04        #11
stalyon2004 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,191 | Props total: 0 0
Just got myself the Sunday Ticket Max for free!

First went to the cancellation dept...told them I was upset with the whole Viacom situation (since I have a son who loves NickJr and I watch Comedy Central alot) and how the RedZone channel isnt added into the base NFL Package. I explained how I enjoy watching the RedZone channel when my team isnt playing. And how it was BS that if I wanted it I had to go to the Max deal and just end up paying what I been for the past 2 years.

First guy wasnt very helpful, kept giving me the run around on how customers would be compensated on the Viacom issue...I just said is there someone else I can speak with, he said yes just hold for a sec(which ended up being about a 15 min hold)

Next guy that came on, I asked what dept I was in now, he said he can do anything on his end. So I knew I was in the right dept, I told him everything I was upset with. He asked if I was ok with the premiere package still, I said for the most part yes, since I dont watch the movie channels much until Spartacus and Game of Thrones are on. But after that, he offered the Sunday Ticket Max for free this year with a 1 year agreement with no back and forth negotiating.

He did mention how I been a customer for some time now, so I'm a.ssuming that helped out too.

CAN'T WAIT TO GET THE SEASON STARTED NOW!
 5 years ago '06        #12
samsin420 39 heat pts39
space
space
$5,946 | Props total: 487 487
Apparently they aren't a breech of contract. In their terms of agreement it states channels and prices are subject to change. I know cause I called trying to get this same deal and she exposed article 1-4 or some sh*t. Looked it up and sure enough she was telling the truth. If you are tied into contract you sir are fu*ked. If not then you have crazy leverage.
 5 years ago '04        #13
W24x55 50 heat pts50
space
space
$12,350 | Props total: 11070 11070
This will be a lot easier for long-time customers.
 5 years ago '04        #14
stalyon2004 9 heat pts
space
space
$2,191 | Props total: 0 0
 samsin420 said:
Apparently they aren't a breech of contract. In their terms of agreement it states channels and prices are subject to change. I know cause I called trying to get this same deal and she exposed article 1-4 or some sh*t. Looked it up and sure enough she was telling the truth. If you are tied into contract you sir are fu*ked. If not then you have crazy leverage.
Glad my original contract ended last year then. Now in a 1 yr agreement with NFL Max for free!
 07-11-2012, 02:07 PM         #15
KrugeR  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I am most definitely under contract, only 10 months into a 24 month contract and I got it no problem. That's not a long term customer by any definition, and I am definitely still under contract. Perhaps it helps I am signed up for direct deposit for bill payment, they really like that - it means you never have a service interruption. If you ever forgot to pay your bill even once during your agreement they may be more inclined to not care.
 07-11-2012, 02:12 PM         #16
KrugeR  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 stalyon2004 said:

Next guy that came on, I asked what dept I was in now, he said he can do anything on his end. So I knew I was in the right dept, I told him everything I was upset with. He asked if I was ok with the premiere package still, I said for the most part yes, since I dont watch the movie channels much until Spartacus and Game of Thrones are on. But after that, he offered the Sunday Ticket Max for free this year with a 1 year agreement with no back and forth negotiating.

He did mention how I been a customer for some time now, so I'm a.ssuming that helped out too.
Having the premiere package helped you a lot too, that is a large contract for them - it's not like they can offer you a 50$ credit or free movie channels for 3 months if you are already paying for them and 50$ doesn't even cover one month of service. Congrats.

FYI I didn't have to extend my contract, since I am still under contract, but I DID have to sign an agreement that the credit would have to be paid for if I cancelled within 60 days.
 5 years ago '10        #17
Trill Livin 65 heat pts65
space
space
$14,412 | Props total: 6247 6247
one time for my comcast n*ggas
 5 years ago '04        #18
cali22buck 1 heat pts
space
space
$3,379 | Props total: 42 42
Got free Sunday ticket, Showtime & Starz for 6 months, DVR $8 monthly service waived for 6 months

Shoots & scores!..
 5 years ago '06        #19
Honolulu Blue 32 heat pts32
space
space
$17,449 | Props total: 1099 1099
This really may have nothing to do with the Viacom situation. I mean, that may factor in just a little bit, but the Retention department for any company like DTV will always give you great offers to keep you. NFL Red Zone is nothing to DTV, especially since cable providers offer Red Zone. That's why they're giving it away for free now. 3 years ago this never would've happened, even in this circumstance with Viacom. But I'm not hating, just stating that the Viacom situation likely has little influence on Retention's attempts to keep customers.

Some companies like Verizon and Comcast are harder to come by for deals like this, but it's possible. I got over on Verizon a few months back. But only because 3 of the 4 phones on the family plan were out of contract.

If you were considering doing this, you should call right now -- do not wait. DTV will most likely circulate an internal memo briefing their call reps on this and how to handle it.

Last edited by Honolulu Blue; 07-11-2012 at 03:08 PM..
 5 years ago '07        #20
CASH1 5 heat pts
space
space
$7,783 | Props total: 2396 2396
damn now i wish I had directv lol.

free sunday ticket, damn.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside The Administration Kicked Me Out But I Went Round Back On They A@%
40 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
100 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
83 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
69 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
256 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
135 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
296 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
197 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy