Lord Finesse Sues Mac Miller For $10 Million

most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
39 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 17 - Do You Do These 5 Things W ur Cellphone That Health Officials..
29 comments
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Peewee Longway chain supposedly snatched in Macon, Georgia
57 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NFL They Used A Piece Of Paper To Measure A First Down, Twitter Going Nuts
70 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-10-2012, 11:53 PM         #61
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 otherside said:
if you read my post that you quoted you will see that i said Mac profited off DatPiff... Mac made money off that Mixtape, n*ggas shouldn't be bullsh*ting on here covering Miller
I thought you said DatPiff profited off of it
 I-NeeD-$$$ said:
mannnnnnnnnnn stfu

He dont own the rights to the sample, the song wasn't on an official release, and he cant prove there was money made off the song.

HE AINT GETTIN sh*t!
Actually, when you CLEAR a sample - in this case Oscar Peterson "Dream of You", and incorporate it into a new work, as long as you pay for clearance (WHICH FINESSE DID DO) then guess what? You now OWN all rights to the new work, including however you reworked that sample. RZA took advantage of this many times by sampling his own work and reworking samples, so he did not have to pay for clearance on the sample again, since he was sampling his work that had a cleared sample. Clearly you do not know the difference legally between a paid for and cleared sample and what Mac did. When you pay for clearance you DO own the rights for however you flipped the sample, since you paid for the rights, and if anyone takes your original work and infringes on it, it is YOUR WORK, not the original work. You don't know about how sample clearance works, clearly. Sit down.
 5 years ago '04        #62
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,446 | Props total: 6517 6517
 MichaelKnight said:
so wait hold up, he suing him cuz he performed it in a concert in which he benifited $$$ right?

also its alright to use other n*ggas beats on mixtapes right? as long as u dont make profit off of it?
no it sounds like he is suing him for just using the beat in the 1st place
 5 years ago '04        #63
space
space
 otherside said:
if you read my post that you quoted you will see that i said Mac profited off DatPiff... Mac made money off that Mixtape, n*ggas shouldn't be bullsh*ting on here covering Miller

i thought datpiff's business practices was to get artists to pay them not the other way around
 5 years ago '09        #64
YungPrinceNY 474 heat pts474
space
space
space
$6,244 | Props total: 621 621

[video - click to view]

07-11-2012, 12:03 AM         #65
DrX 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
LF broke as sh*t
 07-11-2012, 12:03 AM         #66
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 I-NeeD-$$$ said:
sh*t I remember when kevin federline did a track over mobb deep "get it twisted" and got millions of plays and got sued by the actual artist who they sampled.. and guess what?? HE AINT GET sh*t either... all they did was make him take the track off his myspace/youtube
OK first off, Federlines album sold 4000 units at best, so there is not much to sue for. Second, him being forced to remove the Thomas Dolby "She Blinded Me With Science" sampled song "by Mobb Deep is called a cease and desist order, which means they DID actually have an infringement case on him. But the reason he was never sued was because 1) YouTube plays - especially back then before they were monetized with google advertising - do not have a real monetary value. You can not sue for anything except for something that has a real value that you can seek damages for, and 2 mil youtube plays had no real financial value before they merged with google and then implemented their AdSence - NOW they have monetary value based on what advertising they have set up for the video, and what sort of click through returns you get, but back then they did not, and a youtube play was essentially worthless. 2,000,000 X 0 = 0 ... This might not be the case now, but if someone had a YouTube video that was infringing on a right holder without advertising it would essentially be the same deal.

2) Kevin Federline's album sold under 4000 units, so it is clear that he had no financial gain through the promotion gained by using an unauthorized Thomas Dolby sample - had he cleared it with Mobb Deep, since Alchemist cleared it with Thomas Dolby, then they would not have been able to remove it, since it was a cleared sample... but he did not. Seeing as he clearly did not profit through use of the sample (hence terrible album sales) all they could do is send him a cease and desist takedown notice. Just by the fact you claim you know it was taken down shows that the original artist or right holder DID in fact have an infringement case against him, it's just that the dollar amount was so small that there would be no point in bringing suit, since he made no money off of the album, so clearly the promotion had no value. If Federline lears the work with Alchemist and Mobb Deep, then Dolby has no case since it was a paid for and cleared sample. If he had cleared it with Dolby and not Mobb Deep, then Mobb Deep seeks damages for him sampling the arrangement, including how they chopped the sample. In this case you can clear it with the arranger (mobb deep) and not the original sample right holder (dolby), but if you do it the other way around (clear with dolby and not mobb deep) you can get an infringement suit because you also sampled the arrangement as well as the original sample. Mobb Deep could have equally filed for infringement and had an even stronger case, but they didn't bother for whatever reason, possibly because they were signed to Jive which was under Brittaney Spears label.

Last edited by KrugeR; 07-11-2012 at 12:08 AM..
 5 years ago '04        #67
space
space
 AuthenticMade said:
Was being sold online at one point...even on Itunes.

now he can get sued with what lord finesse is saying
 07-11-2012, 12:08 AM         #68
1337_ONE 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
get ya money finesse

@ these white boys definding their idol on youtube.
 5 years ago '04        #69
Adwerdz 320 heat pts320
space
space
$32,802 | Props total: 23560 23560
damn my n*gga said 10 million
 5 years ago '05        #70
JayThunder 
space
space
$1,984 | Props total: 80 80
mac miller is the biggest theft ive seen since kanye back in his 2004-2008 run .... west learned the hard way.... so is mac.... this white boy does not believe in respecting producers at all an if i ever met him i would kept it 1000 with him cause he dont think alot of producers out here aint in the trap ...n*ggas have gotten k!lled over fruity loop beats in NYC
 5 years ago '09        #71
RaIVIpAG3x 3 heat pts
space
space
$9,363 | Props total: 2729 2729
its a fu*king mixtape track, how is that biting? The beats aren't even exactly the same just the same sample. Lord finesse is a legend in the game and one of the pioneers when it comes to punchline rap, but he sounds salty

*Bumps Kool Aid & Frozen Pizza*
 5 years ago '09        #72
RaIVIpAG3x 3 heat pts
space
space
$9,363 | Props total: 2729 2729
Why Are some of you acting like 'kool aid and frozen pizza' was the only reason why Mac blew up, that's not even the case. Mac rapped over the 'coolie high' beat you don't see camp Lo trying to Sue.

Last edited by RaIVIpAG3x; 07-11-2012 at 12:47 AM..
 5 years ago '07        #73
Deceiva 
space
space
space
$717 | Props total: 2 2
 RaIVIpAG3x said:
its a fu*king mixtape track, how is that biting? The beats aren't even exactly the same just the same sample. Lord finesse is a legend in the game and one of the pioneers when it comes to punchline rap, but he sounds salty

*Bumps Kool Aid & Frozen Pizza*
read the entire thread.

the mixtape was for sale at amazon.com
 5 years ago '09        #74
YungPrinceNY 474 heat pts474
space
space
space
$6,244 | Props total: 621 621

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '11        #75
Dray 1187 heat pts1187
space
space
$59,348 | Props total: 25260 25260
Dont have any mac miller on my itunes but the second i heard its from a mixtape..

Case dismissed in 5..4...3..2..1.
 07-11-2012, 01:53 AM         #76
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 AuthenticMade said:
Was being sold online at one point...even on Itunes.

For the record no lawyer would've taken this case if he didnt see an attempt at winning some $. This isnt a criminal matter, so nobody HAS to represent Lord Finesse in this....in other words nobody would've been dumb enough to take a case and ruin their rep just to get a few hundred dollars on their counseling fee...the lawyer knew he could get far more, thats why he took this case. And he can

Most definitely - people saying Finesse will get nothing think they know more than a bar certified Copyright trial lawyer...SMH. You can really pick out the kids from the people who know something by the responses in this thread.

1337_ONE said:
get ya money finesse

@ these white boys definding their idol on youtube.
I'm white, and normally I would disagree with this being racialized, but you have a solid point - it seems like people are just in denial about what Mac's liability is to the point of insanity. That, and I'm old school, I grew up on Finesse and respect him as an originator... and I see Mac as this wave of gentrification-hop that is fu*king up the game.

swayze said:
Theres sample credits on every album i have that has samples,but bootlegs don't have them.. Damn they took that sh*t off Amazon fast. Got some truth to it i guess.
Well, looks like a cease and desist order has been sent - if they acknowledge a C&D, then they are admitting to some degree that there IS infringement.

614FACE said:

Didn't kno that about rza though.
Yeah, some samples he used for Wu albums where he left the sample open were flipped and rearranged in later Wu solo albums. He talks about it in the Wax Poetics interview, how he saved a lot of money by doing this, since he was clearing samples to works he already paid clearance.

Also a lot of you confused Mac Miller fans need to read this article before you comment any more and expose yourself, as if being a Mac Miller fan wasn't bad enough.

)
 07-11-2012, 01:54 AM         #77
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Dray said:
Case dismissed in 5..4...3..2..1.
Mixtape has been pulled from Amazon, where they were selling it...

You might want to rethink this
 5 years ago '11        #78
DsRueHz 
space
space
$926 | Props total: 14 14
gotcha byietch
rewind and jack again youngn.....getcha own swag
emulating kids "the movie" on the mixtape cover, and swagg jacking that finesse joint to build up ya fan base is smart.....dis dude is an orchestration. a design built with a demographic in mind.

If it was me, and I aint feelin you, and I think you corny???---10milly weegro.STFU
samplin is one thing....mac seem like a gimmick.---FWYT
 5 years ago '12        #79
Prostyle 2 heat pts
space
space
$2,495 | Props total: 1082 1082
Mac dont have more than 2 m's to his name, if that.
 5 years ago '04        #80
ant30ant33 214 heat pts214
space
space
space
$11,813 | Props total: 4783 4783
 JayThunder said:
mac miller is the biggest theft ive seen since kanye back in his 2004-2008 run .... west learned the hard way.... so is mac.... this white boy does not believe in respecting producers at all an if i ever met him i would kept it 1000 with him cause he dont think alot of producers out here aint in the trap ...n*ggas have gotten k!lled over fruity loop beats in NYC
Mac Miller has a history of stealing from producers?? Lord Finesse is really bout to change mixtapes forever on this case...

Last edited by ant30ant33; 07-11-2012 at 02:54 AM..
Home      

most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
130 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
104 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
48 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Ultimate mugen build(tell me the characters and Ill build you a custom game)
49 comments
1 day ago
@games
most viewed right now
NBA Jahlil making the move to small forward
114 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
64 comments
1 day ago
@gear
most viewed right now
When Popeyes runs out of chicken
96 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Rape Case Against Nelly DROPPED........Nelly Plans To Sue Accuseer
32 comments
1 day ago