Kevin Hart X-mad card
31 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
71 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
102 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
240 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-10-2012, 10:57 PM         #41
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Sam Rothstein said:
sh*t, that's how the game go. I dropped a beat and n*ggas hopped on it and got it on the radio station, XXL, and etc. But if you feel like you aren't getting broke off and paid respect ain't nothing you can do but sit back and see what legal action you can take.

Rappers out here getting shows and paid features and etc while you sit back and starve. Rules are still being created everyday and so are loopholes, the game don't stop, just have to have the right lawyers.
If Mac Miller wouldn't have blown up, Lord Finesse would have had no case because his promotional value could not be monetized. If you use a beat for promotional use and never blow, then it is hard to seek monetary damages because you never made any money off of the promotion, because you never got famous. The only reason Finesse CAN seek compensation is because Mac DID blow up, so clearly the promotional value of the mixtape had real monetary value that can be litigated for. If your tape is worthless and you end up at McDonalds, it is hard to say the promotion had any value, and there is no way to determine the value of that promotion.
 5 years ago '09        #42
WILLIAM 49 heat pts49
space
space
space
$22,629 | Props total: 1802 1802
Then lil wayne has 20 diff charges for no ceilings mixtape
 5 years ago '04        #43
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,444 | Props total: 6515 6515
 HATEWILL! said:
Then lil wayne has 20 diff charges for no ceilings mixtape
this, like i said. open up the flood gates. do y'all know how many tapes datpiff "sponsors"

get 40 to hit up meek mill for the dreamchasers 2 tape. sh!t went 3x platinum on there
 5 years ago '04        #44
killadre 229 heat pts229
space
space
$20,504 | Props total: 16334 16334
I'd respect finesse more if he just came out and ask for some money for the use of it, if that's fine with you..
 5 years ago '12        #45
Melle 52 heat pts52
space
space
$3,933 | Props total: 2687 2687
 KrugeR said:
If Mac Miller wouldn't have blown up, Lord Finesse would have had no case because his promotional value could not be monetized. If you use a beat for promotional use and never blow, then it is hard to seek monetary damages because you never made any money off of the promotion, because you never got famous. The only reason Finesse CAN seek compensation is because Mac DID blow up, so clearly the promotional value of the mixtape had real monetary value that can be litigated for. If your tape is worthless and you end up at McDonalds, it is hard to say the promotion had any value, and there is no way to determine the value of that promotion.
i think you are forgetting some points that have already been made, Mac profited off Finesses track through DatPiff!!! Copy Writers can go after Any1 who profits, even if 99 Cents was made off a track...
 5 years ago '11        #46
ImInHerMouth 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$8,974 | Props total: 4718 4718
 KrugeR said:
This is not true at all - even if the song was "for promotional use only" you can not legally take an instrumental without asking permission - you can only play the song as recorded, with original performance lyrics on it, not record new lyrics over an instrumental (this is legally making a new work from a sample of someone else's work - in this case Mac making a new song through unauthorized sampling of Lord Finesse's previous work). On top of that, no matter what the status, you have to list the royalty owner and the rights holder's address in the liner notes for it to be legal, which I am sure Mac did not do. Finesse is going to make the claim that using his work helped give Mac millions of dollars worth of promotion that he did not pay for, and he wants his cut of said promotion. Even though it was not sold for direct profit (and he can not seek direct profits) he CAN seek profits he claims were generated through the promotion gained from the unauthorized sampling. Obviously he is not going to get 10 Mil, but in lawsuits you ask for a ridiculously high number and have them settle for a fraction, so even if he settles on .10 cents on the dollar, he still gets a million just to drop suit.
So any rapper that ever did a jackin for beats could be sued the sh*t out of right now? Bullsh*t. I remember Deadmau5 was bi*ching at Nick Cannon for rapping over one if his tracks then proceeded to tell Nick that he "didnt know the business". I would lawyer up and take Lord Finesse's project apartment
 5 years ago '12        #47
Melle 52 heat pts52
space
space
 614FACE said:
Lil Wayne has the bread and lawyers to take care of that sh*t though.
Wayne is respected by most old Heads N most Industry people in General!!! him jumping on someone else's beat will give the original song a Ton of Free Promotion... if it weren't for artists doing that id have no idea some tracks even existed...

the problem here is Mac made a name for himself using some else's track without finesse signing off on it!!! a copywriter doesn't have to go after anyone, its their choice
 5 years ago '04        #48
Tastemaker331 46 heat pts46
space
space
$39,167 | Props total: 9607 9607
c'mon Finesse
not a good look for the DITC crew
 5 years ago '11        #49
ImInHerMouth 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$8,974 | Props total: 4718 4718
 otherside said:
I'm going to introduce u to 1 of the realest quotes ever "no lunch is free"!!!

The track was released on a Mixtape sponsored through DatPiff... The mixtape is distributed as "Free" but money is still made off it which means money is profited off of the Lord Finesse Track

and yes any rapper from 1996-2009 can get sued at any point for using someone else's work, if you didnt know that imma take a guess & say you dropped out of high school
This n*gga here has the nerve to talk about who didn't graduate high school while having no idea what the fu*k it is he's even mouthing off about. You think every n*gga here is as dumb as you. Finesse has no case. He's using YouTube ads as a defense. He's way over his head and out of his element and used some hood lawyer cause no one with a lick of sense who has actually won cases would take this. And ten million dollars? I believe this same sh*t happened with LL or someone a couple years back. Nothing came of it. Sit the fu*k down and shut the fu*k up.
 07-10-2012, 11:19 PM         #50
SOCIALITE 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I hate when this happens. How about when dudes like Slaughterhouse was rapping over Jay-Z beats live. It's just a given man. As a rapper majority of them look at it as an honor, unless the rapper is selling it. Which in most cases it isn't being sold.
 07-10-2012, 11:22 PM         #51
Maafa 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
wasnt this n*gga just selling his SP 1200 on ebay? n*gga hurtin
 5 years ago '12        #52
CosbySweater 297 heat pts297
space
space
$36,131 | Props total: 15811 15811
10 Mill though Cmon man let Mac live....
 5 years ago '04        #53
PrisonRules 70 heat pts70
space
space
$26,136 | Props total: 4527 4527
lol lord aint finna get nothing.

it was a free mixtape. if mac would of sold it it would of been different. as far as him claiming that song propelled his career, thats a lie. i dont even rmbr song...i just know this boy has been grinding
 5 years ago '04        #54
PrisonRules 70 heat pts70
space
space
$26,136 | Props total: 4527 4527
 AuthenticMade said:
Its not gonna get thrown out, and this is like the 6th case against him regarding that tape....he was selling that Tape on Itunes and amazon Mp3 at one point.
o well in that case, yea this n*gga is gonna have to pay something in court to lord. i wonder why he would not ask a lawyer first. how this n*gga think he could sample and not pay the rights holders. lol

are u sure the tape was for sale? cuz if it was then this n*gga is gonna have mad lawsuits
 5 years ago '04        #55
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
space
$49,444 | Props total: 6515 6515
 2totimes said:
lol lord aint finna get nothing.

it was a free mixtape. if mac would of sold it it would of been different. as far as him claiming that song propelled his career, thats a lie. i dont even rmbr song...i just know this boy has been grinding
the biggest song from that tape was knock knock with either nikes on my feet or kool aid and frozen pizza being behind that.

what really propelled his career was donald trump
 5 years ago '12        #56
Melle 52 heat pts52
space
space
 ImInHerMouth said:
This n*gga here has the nerve to talk about who didn't graduate high school while having no idea what the fu*k it is he's even mouthing off about. You think every n*gga here is as dumb as you. Finesse has no case. He's using YouTube ads as a defense. He's way over his head and out of his element and used some hood lawyer cause no one with a lick of sense who has actually won cases would take this. And ten million dollars? I believe this same sh*t happened with LL or someone a couple years back. Nothing came of it. Sit the fu*k down and shut the fu*k up.

your a fu*kin idiot for trying to come at me like that... DatPiff MADE MONEY OFF OF LORD FINESSES BEAT BC OF MAC MILLERS MIXTAPE!!!

your a fu*king Sped!!! pack my groceries bi*ch n*gga...
 07-10-2012, 11:41 PM         #57
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 otherside said:
i think you are forgetting some points that have already been made, Mac profited off Finesses track through DatPiff!!! Copy Writers can go after Any1 who profits, even if 99 Cents was made off a track...
Going after DatPiff as a distributer is different, since part of their Terms of Service agreement absolves them from any copyright violation that may arise from people uploading material they do not own the rights for. Even if they profit off of advertising through the download, they make it clear that they are an upload service and that the liability lies with the artist who uploads infringing material. If DatPiff was named, then it would be a landmark case, but Mac being named is not a landmark case at all - it has happened before and will happen again.

ImInHerMouth said:
So any rapper that ever did a jackin for beats could be sued the sh*t out of right now? Bullsh*t. I remember Deadmau5 was bi*ching at Nick Cannon for rapping over one if his tracks then proceeded to tell Nick that he "didnt know the business". I would lawyer up and take Lord Finesse's project apartment
Are you saying that Finesse could be sued by Mac? No. There is no case for that to happen.

And yes, any rapper that records over an instrumental who does not give proper credit to the right holder can potentially be sued, it is just that most rappers doing this who are worth suing either get permission or at least give credit to the right holder in the first place, making it nearly impossible to sue since it would be viewed as mutually beneficial - since if you have the right holder in the liner notes, then the courts will a.ssume that any promotion the artist gained was also given to the right holder. In this case, Mac did not do it legally. This is not some landmark case, stuff like this happens all the time, and is usually quickly settled out of court because Finesse really has a pretty open and shut case. What IS up to interpretation is the financial liability that Mac owes to him - in this case like all infringement cases you shoot for the moon and settle on pennies on the dollar so the infringer can avoid a costly legal battle and a possibly high settlement. This is just how the copyright game goes, and Mac really should have reached out to Finesse in the first place, or AT LEAST gave him proper credit. Why is it such a hard thing to give people credit for their instrumentals? Doesn't Finesse deserve to be credited? If I made a beat and someone went over it without even citing me legally in the liner, you better believe I would be suing them if they blew up and made a career off of my beat. That is only fair.
 07-10-2012, 11:44 PM         #58
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Also you guys saying Finesse will get nothing are wrong - he will get SOMETHING, just not anywhere near 10 mil. To anyone who knows anything about copyright law, this is an open and shut infringement case, and the lawyer would not have even taken it up if it was a lost cause. People on here think they know more about copyright law than Finesse's copyright lawyer, but people can't even spell copyright correctly. Lawyers work on the front end for this sort of thing, so no lawyer worth his bar certification is going to work on a case he knows will get nothing from.
 5 years ago '12        #59
Melle 52 heat pts52
space
space
 KrugeR said:
Going after DatPiff as a distributer is different, since part of their Terms of Service agreement absolves them from any copyright violation that may arise from people uploading material they do not own the rights for. Even if they profit off of advertising through the download, they make it clear that they are an upload service and that the liability lies with the artist who uploads infringing material. If DatPiff was named, then it would be a landmark case, but Mac being named is not a landmark case at all - it has happened before and will happen again.
if you read my post that you quoted you will see that i said Mac profited off DatPiff... Mac made money off that Mixtape, n*ggas shouldn't be bullsh*ting on here covering Miller
 07-10-2012, 11:48 PM         #60
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
BTW the Finesse sample is Oscar Peterson - Dream of You
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
60 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
89 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
joie chavis
36 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Roseanne Revival Gets Premiere Date on ABC — Watch Season 10 Teaser
61 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside XXXTentacles facing 77 years in jail :niggaomg:
196 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Dad challenges daughter’s boyfriend to video game grudge match, gets ..
18 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Ashamed Of Pixel Sales, Google Begins Hiding Pixel Launcher Install Count In P..
10 comments
2 days ago
@tech
most viewed right now
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
94 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy