Lord Finesse Sues Mac Miller For $10 Million

most viewed right now
 106
Image(s) inside Fake Ashanti Look WAAY BADDER Than The Real Ashanti
30 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 78
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
133 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 55
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
71 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 50
Whoo Kid says 50 Cent used to be out here beatin up random drug dealers
121 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #21
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
avatar space
space
$49,376 | Props total: 6397 6397
using rap instrumentals is stealing now

if thats the case then rap been stealing for 20 years
 07-10-2012, 10:29 PM         #22
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Lord Finesse paid for and cleared his sample... SMH
 5 years ago '10        #23
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
avatar space
space
$67,851 | Props total: 20810 20810
Why y'all always gotta turn this into some race sh*t?

Why?
 5 years ago '12        #24
Melle 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$3,904 | Props total: 2403 2403
Finesse right for doing this!!! Mac himself happens to be a Lord Finesse/Big L fan... Mac is the most Ignorant Artist in the Industry, u can tell just by the interviews that this kid is a complete scumbag

People get upset even when they watch a Youtube video of a "No Name" rapping over their own beat... its disgraceful to them which I don't blame!!!
 5 years ago '05        #25
Martel 18 heat pts18
space
avatar space
space
$14,818 | Props total: 2621 2621
i wish y'all would stop using the "free mixtape/free song" excuse. y'all see what one free song got Chief Keef. these dudes cakin off these "free" songs.
 07-10-2012, 10:36 PM         #26
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
joey bada$$ used a lord finesse beat...

 5 years ago '04        #27
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
avatar space
space
$49,376 | Props total: 6397 6397
 otherside said:
Finesse right for doing this!!! Mac himself happens to be a Lord Finesse/Big L fan... Mac is the most Ignorant Artist in the Industry, u can tell just by the interviews that this kid is a complete scumbag

People get upset even when they watch a Youtube video of a "No Name" rapping over their own beat... its disgraceful to them which I don't blame!!!
then he shouldn't of put the instrumental out then. like i said he can only sue him for performing it since mac never sold the song

and

when did they start having sample credits into albums because i never seen anybody know where the lord finesse sample came from


Last edited by justinjones; 07-10-2012 at 10:41 PM..
 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM         #28
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 1992 said:
joey bada$$ used a lord finesse beat...

Joey Bada$$ got Lord Finesse to sign off on it, and Lord Finesse gave him legal permission to use his beat - Mac Miller did not.
 07-10-2012, 10:41 PM         #29
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 justinjones said:
then he shouldn't of put the instrumental out then. like i said he can only sue him for performing it since mac never sold the song
This is not true at all - even if the song was "for promotional use only" you can not legally take an instrumental without asking permission - you can only play the song as recorded, with original performance lyrics on it, not record new lyrics over an instrumental (this is legally making a new work from a sample of someone else's work - in this case Mac making a new song through unauthorized sampling of Lord Finesse's previous work). On top of that, no matter what the status, you have to list the royalty owner and the rights holder's address in the liner notes for it to be legal, which I am sure Mac did not do. Finesse is going to make the claim that using his work helped give Mac millions of dollars worth of promotion that he did not pay for, and he wants his cut of said promotion. Even though it was not sold for direct profit (and he can not seek direct profits) he CAN seek profits he claims were generated through the promotion gained from the unauthorized sampling. Obviously he is not going to get 10 Mil, but in lawsuits you ask for a ridiculously high number and have them settle for a fraction, so even if he settles on .10 cents on the dollar, he still gets a million just to drop suit.
 07-10-2012, 10:43 PM         #30
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Is Mac Miller even worth $10 dollars? I thought he was older than 20. I doubt he's going to walk away with 10, they'll probably settle out of court for a lot less.
 07-10-2012, 10:44 PM         #31
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 KrugeR said:
Joey Bada$$ got Lord Finesse to sign off on it, and Lord Finesse gave him legal permission to use his beat - Mac Miller did not.
 07-10-2012, 10:45 PM         #32
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
They will definitely settle, probably for somewhere just under a mil.
 5 years ago '12        #33
Melle 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$3,904 | Props total: 2403 2403
 justinjones said:
then he shouldn't of put the instrumental out then. like i said he can only sue him for performing it since mac never sold the song

and

when did they start having sample credits into albums because i never seen anybody know where the lord finesse sample came from


he did profit off of it by releasing it, Finesse filed the lawsuit after he saw the Track on DatPiff so Mac did Profit off it!!!
 5 years ago '04        #34
justinjones 307 heat pts307
space
avatar space
space
$49,376 | Props total: 6397 6397
 otherside said:


he did profit off of it by releasing it, Finesse filed the lawsuit after he saw the Track on DatPiff so Mac did Profit off it!!!

 KrugeR said:
This is not true at all - even if the song was "for promotional use only" you can not legally take an instrumental without asking permission - you can only play the song as recorded, with original performance lyrics on it, not record new lyrics over an instrumental (this is legally making a new work from a sample of someone else's work - in this case Mac making a new song through unauthorized sampling of Lord Finesse's previous work). On top of that, no matter what the status, you have to list the royalty owner and the rights holder's address in the liner notes for it to be legal, which I am sure Mac did not do. Finesse is going to make the claim that using his work helped give Mac millions of dollars worth of promotion that he did not pay for, and he wants his cut of said promotion. Even though it was not sold for direct profit (and he can not seek direct profits) he CAN seek profits he claims were generated through the promotion gained from the unauthorized sampling. Obviously he is not going to get 10 Mil, but in lawsuits you ask for a ridiculously high number and have them settle for a fraction, so even if he settles on .10 cents on the dollar, he still gets a million just to drop suit.

so hold on. you're telling me that every rapper from 96 til 2009 can get sued based off of just using a beat on a free tape?

yup open the flood gates. there has to be some kind of case on this years ago. mac isn't the 1st rapper to do this.

i don't know if lil wayne's case even got finished because the last i heard it got postponed and that was off of him doing the song at shows

frank ocean case probably got dropped on the condition of not performing the song again. the eagles are not exactly broke

all this time no producer ever wanted to stake this claim?
 07-10-2012, 10:48 PM         #35
Ca$h Out 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
10 mill tho???



if you broke n*gga just ask for a couple g's and this sh*t will be over with.
 07-10-2012, 10:54 PM         #36
Sam Rothstein 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 refuze said:
if Mac miller didn't blow up lord finesse wouldn't have done sh*t

it was a song on a mixtape that was released for free.. come on man.

n*gga ain't eat since the 90s so he's trying to get bread any way he can these days
sh*t, that's how the game go. I dropped a beat and n*ggas hopped on it and got it on the radio station, XXL, and etc. But if you feel like you aren't getting broke off and paid respect ain't nothing you can do but sit back and see what legal action you can take.

Rappers out here getting shows and paid features and etc while you sit back and starve. Rules are still being created everyday and so are loopholes, the game don't stop, just have to have the right lawyers.
 07-10-2012, 10:55 PM         #37
KrugeR 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 justinjones said:
so hold on. you're telling me that every rapper from 96 til 2009 can get sued based off of just using a beat on a free tape?

yup open the flood gates. there has to be some kind of case on this years ago. mac isn't the 1st rapper to do this.

i don't know if lil wayne's case even got finished because the last i heard it got postponed and that was off of him doing the song at shows

frank ocean case probably got dropped on the condition of not performing the song again. the eagles are not exactly broke

all this time no producer ever wanted to stake this claim?
Every circumstance is different - the big part is claiming monetary loss - in this case Mac blew up off that mixtape without giving credit. A lot of artists who have enough sales for people to be looking at suing for profits have royalty owners either sign off (like Joey Bada$$ did with Lord Finesse) or they list the full royalty holder's name in the liner notes, with the address.

Look at how Girl Talk has to do his mixes - he is not allowed to sell them, and his liner notes are multiple pages. This is how you do things legally - you HAVE to list the full right holder and address.

A landmark case in recent history? DJ Drama, who was raided by the feds for piracy even though he had label permission, because the RIAA wanted it done to see what they could collect. When all was said and done, it turned out he actually DID have permission, but where he got in trouble was not listing the right holder in his mixtape liner notes.

So basically it is a combination of how important you are, how much damages they think they can claim off of the value of the promotion of your "promotional use only" mix, and if you gave proper legal credit in the form of full copyright holder and address. Each case is a little different, but every so often something like this pops up, and they settle, because they know they fu*ked up and don't want to get in a long drawn out legal battle.
 07-10-2012, 10:56 PM         #38
Francis Schilke 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
cant knock the hustle, get ya money Finesse
 5 years ago '12        #39
Melle 52 heat pts52
space
avatar space
space
$3,904 | Props total: 2403 2403
 justinjones said:
so hold on. you're telling me that every rapper from 96 til 2009 can get sued based off of just using a beat on a free tape?

yup open the flood gates. there has to be some kind of case on this years ago. mac isn't the 1st rapper to do this.

i don't know if lil wayne's case even got finished because the last i heard it got postponed and that was off of him doing the song at shows

frank ocean case probably got dropped on the condition of not performing the song again. the eagles are not exactly broke

all this time no producer ever wanted to stake this claim?
I'm going to introduce u to 1 of the realest quotes ever "no lunch is free"!!!

The track was released on a Mixtape sponsored through DatPiff... The mixtape is distributed as "Free" but money is still made off it which means money is profited off of the Lord Finesse Track

and yes any rapper from 1996-2009 can get sued at any point for using someone else's work, if you didnt know that imma take a guess & say you dropped out of high school


Last edited by Melle; 07-10-2012 at 10:58 PM..
 5 years ago '06        #40
Affectz 131 heat pts131
space
avatar space
space
$8,211 | Props total: 4484 4484
 Sam Rothstein said:
Is Mac Miller even worth $10 dollars? I thought he was older than 20. I doubt he's going to walk away with 10, they'll probably settle out of court for a lot less.
Mac already made a million dollars independently,the kid is doing it big
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 43
Rappers that have or had AIDS
169 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 41
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
188 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 40
Video inside Boxden man is in tears after getting robbed of $20,000 by his friends..
91 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
 38
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
203 comments
20 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
 32
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
229 comments
20 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 21
NBA Matt Barnes retires
52 comments
20 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
 21
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
91 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 19
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
263 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy