Microsoft "our top 4 franchises outsell Sony's top 11"

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
165 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
31 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
46 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden at age 26 vs Quavious Marshall at age 26
100 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #1
6118 pageviews
147 comments

Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
Microsoft "our top 4 franchises outsell Sony's top 11"

Nothing we didn't already know really lol...

\

Phil Spencer is understandably biased when it comes to talking to the press about the Xbox 360 and games published by Microsoft Studios. He is the Vice President after all, and in a recent interview Spencer shed some light on Microsoft's strategy for the Xbox 360 when it comes to first party exclusive games. In a recent interview with Games Industry International, Spencer touts the Xbox 360's lineup as the best in class. Putting it up against Sony, Spencer says that "our top 4 (franchises) outsell like the top 11 Sony franchises."

"Our top 4 outsell like the top 11 Sony franchises or something like that.""We have always been about trying to create hits that really push our platform and reach millions of people. I've never looked at our first-party mandate as trying to simply pump out content that only a few select people will go out and buy. If you look at our top franchises in our first-party, they do incredibly well relative to other first-party franchises. If you rank our top four franchises against the other franchises, our top 4 outsell like the top 11 Sony franchises or something like that. In the end, it's about creating something to scale and something that matters."

Microsoft and the Xbox 360 have seen some criticism over the last few years as first party exclusive titles have begun to dry up. Considerable resources have been thrown towards the Kinect, and many of the first party titles have been geared towards the motion controller. Spencer doesn't believe that Microsoft should be competing with the big third party developers, nor do they have to.

"I also look at the great third party support that we have and I don't need to go compete with Batman or Call of Duty or a.ssassin's Creed that shows up on our platform. It's great that we got Warner Bros, EA, Activision and Ubisoft making a lot of money on our platform and bringing great content. So we take our first-party and we try to do unique things. We focused early on Kinect with quite a few things because we knew that third-parties might have taken a 'wait-and-see' attitude. They actually didn't. There were more third-parties on stage this year with a lot of Kinect content this year."

As for the future, things are starting to shift immensely in Redmond. Microsoft is getting ready to launch Windows 8, and as promised, its got a greater focus on games and apps than previous versions of the Windows operating system has in the past.

"If I'm an owner of an Xbox, it is an amazing time.""First-party is going to invest early in a lot of things. We actually have over 30 launch games on the Windows 8 tablets coming from first-party. Now we're starting to build on SmartGlass, and that thinking with a lot of connections between different screens, I think will pay off. I've never really looked at first-party as simply a portfolio filler strategy. I want to pick some things that will really differentiate, whether it is working with ESPN and Nike to create something new, or Sesame Street or making a great Halo game which we are right in the middle of being born. It's showing very well right now."

When its eventually time for Microsoft to show its next generation hardware, its safe to a.ssume that they'll be throwing their resources behind the console once again, if they aren't already. No word on when the next console will arrive. From Spencer's recent statements it doesn't sound like Microsoft is any rush at all.

"If I'm an owner of an Xbox, it is an amazing time. I've got Halo, Call of Duty, TV showing up, Nike, Sesame Street, and I mean the platform has reached a scale now that you see a diversity of content that you really do have something for everyone on the box. You have video consumption outpacing online gameplay now, but both are growing. The Xbox is just on more hours in the home. From a value perspective, I think people feel great about the investment they've made in the Xbox. We've introduced the Live plan and the $99 Xbox which is going well.

So when we say people are interested in the next, there is a sub-set of people that are always wondering what is next and even the next, next. That's great enthusiasm, but we don't want to turn it into the world is somehow waiting. We see that the 360 is in the number one position, we have a ton of engagement, games are selling really well, Live subscriptions are going well and it's an opportunity for content creators to ship content into a huge installed base that are actively engaged. That's a great opportunity."

-
[pic - click to view]

AttackOfThefanboy

147 comments for "Microsoft "our top 4 franchises outsell Sony's top 11""

5 years ago '11        #2
Jesszman 2209 heat pts2209
space
space
space
$29,855 | Props total: 208 208
and nintendo outsells everybody
 5 years ago '12        #3
Jake2by4 
space
space
space
$1,023 | Props total: 12 12
Can't say thats really anything to brag about, when you really have is 4 franchises, halo, gears,fable,forza. Maybe the money they made for kinect can be better suited to making new franchises and stop buying exclusives on dlc and demos.

Last edited by Jake2by4; 07-07-2012 at 02:33 PM..
 5 years ago '06        #4
Soraci7 34 heat pts34
space
space
$14,081 | Props total: 39 39
If Sony only had 4 exclusives theyd sell more of those same 4 games than they would if they had 11. Simple supply & demand...
 5 years ago '04        #5
Da Ill One|M 4602 heat pts4602 OP
space
space
$45,508 | Props total: 4990 4990
 Jesszman said:
and nintendo outsells everybody
But Nintendo wasn't mentioned...

Jake2by4 said:
Can't say thats really anything to brag about, when you really have is 4 franchises, halo, gears,fable,forza. Maybe the money they made for kinect can be better suited to making new franchises and stop buying exclusives on dlc and demos.
Yeah I agree...but from a business standpoint it is a lot to brag about ... Sales = everything Business wise...consumer wise this sucks for fans of the System

KSoraci7 said:
If Sony only had 4 exclusives theyd sell more of those same 4 games than they would if they had 11. Simple supply & demand...
True more choices on Sony to spread your money around on...but MS also caters more towards MP and Sony caters more towards SP on frist party games... so that's probably why
 5 years ago '11        #6
Norcal 78 heat pts78
space
space
$11,808 | Props total: 1189 1189
Ether...
 07-07-2012, 03:07 PM         #7
DarkSidesHero 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I'll take new IP over what MS has to offer
 5 years ago '11        #8
space
space
space
MS likes to play it safe.
 07-07-2012, 03:18 PM         #9
LakeHawks 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Microsoft delivers that pure ether

Its true tho ps3 gamers don't buy games
They gamefly
 5 years ago '11        #10
bd2eazy 37 heat pts37
space
space
$5,138 | Props total: 155 155
 5 years ago '06        #11
PG-13 126 heat pts126
space
space
$31,928 | Props total: 7 7
 norcal925 said:
Ether...
 5 years ago '11        #12
space
space
space

[pic - click to view]

5 years ago '05        #13
Krazie 134 heat pts134
space
space
$45,868 | Props total: 20866 20866
 5 years ago '10        #14
Hovi Bryant 676 heat pts676
space
space
$30,730 | Props total: 19626 19626
Don't see how this makes anyone happy. If Sony ever played their cards right, they can throw out a lineup that'll sh*t on anyone next gen. I just don't think it's likely.
 5 years ago '05        #15
PhrozenMenace 
space
space
$14,036 | Props total: 1400 1400
 DarkSidesHero said:
I'll take new IP over what MS has to offer
yup...same ol shyt gets boring no matter how good xbl is
 07-07-2012, 05:01 PM         #16
IronMaiden 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
call of duty outsells everything

does that mean it's the best game? sales mean nothing and that applies to all forms of media, especially movies/music.
 5 years ago '11        #17
space
space
space
 IronMaiden said:
call of duty outsells everything

does that mean it's the best game? sales mean nothing and that applies to all forms of media, especially movies/music.
shhh, microsoft's making money, they dont care.
 5 years ago '05        #18
TattooedMPsz 50 heat pts50
space
space
$25,372 | Props total: 8050 8050
 norcal925 said:
Ether...
 5 years ago '11        #19
dom 30 heat pts30
space
space
space
$8,349 | Props total: 204 204
Mothafu*kas will only bring up sales when its beneficial to there side. Someone says CoD sucks I defend it with sale numbers. I say the Ps3 is better than the 360, people will say the 360 sold more. I say the Wii is better than the 360 where sales is on my side 360 n*ggas will say looks who's buying it, kids. In this case sales dont mean sh*t.

When sale numbers is on your side its all good but when its not it doesnt mean sh*t
 5 years ago '11        #20
space
space
space
 DominationCM said:
Mothafu*kas will only bring up sales when its beneficial to there side. Someone says CoD sucks I defend it with sale numbers. I say the Ps3 is better than the 360, people will say the 360 sold more. I say the Wii is better than the 360 where sales is on my side 360 n*ggas will say looks who's buying it, kids. In this case sales dont mean sh*t.

When sale numbers is on your side its all good but when its not it doesnt mean sh*t
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
9 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
29 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
53 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
31 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Air Jordan 11 "Win Like 96" finally releases after a long history of r..
63 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
9 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 'The Walking Dead' Fans Are Flipping Out That AMC Is Promoting Sunday'..
77 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Article inside How Apple has won (and kept) my business
69 comments
1 day ago
@tech
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy