Seth MacFarlane Responds to 'Ted' Backlash

most viewed right now
Post Malone almost commits career suicide on stream
100 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Salma Hayek claims Harvey Weinstein threatened 'I will kill you, don'..
88 comments
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Yall thought Twitter on Big Sean was bad? Check out the comments about..
149 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Rare Pics of B.G. Derrick (N.O. Rap)
52 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-07-2012, 01:56 PM         #1
7694 pageviews
53 comments

s7venwords 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Seth MacFarlane Responds to 'Ted' Backlash

[pic - click to view]

By KATIE MOISSE (@katiemoisse)
July 7, 2012

"Ted" writer Seth MacFarlane is defending a punch line that sparked outrage among people with Lou Gehrig's disease and their supporters.

"ALS is a horrific tragedy for those who suffer from it, and by no means do I or anyone a.ssociated with this film have anything but compassion for the individuals afflicted," MacFarlane said in a statement. "However, the joke in the film is made at the expense of our villain, Rex, and not at the expense of those suffering from the disease."

The joke, "From one man to another, I hope you get Lou Gehrig's disease," shocked movie-going patients and advocates, who say it crossed a line.

"I didn't expect to go to a movie and sit with an audience laughing at the expense of people with ALS," said Randy Pipkin, who was diagnosed in 2005. "I think the message this film sends out is a huge slap in the face to people dying from this horrific disease."

Lou Gehrig's disease, also known as ALS, progressively robs people of their ability to move, speak, eat and breathe. There is currently no cure.

The punch line prompted an online petition urging MacFarlane to apologize and donate $200,000 of the movie's proceedings to ALS research.

"The thing that Mr. MacFarlane and others fail to realize is that ALS sufferers are some of the kindest, compassionate, thoughtful, and loving individuals one will ever meet," Bridget Reeves Jeter, whose mother has ALS, wrote in the petition posted at Change.org. "Wishing ALS on another individual is really nothing but a foundationless insult, rather than an edgy, humorous scatological quip, as was intended."

But MacFarlane, 38, who is famous for his boundary-pushing humor, argues the "mere mention of any disease should not be cause for ire."

"I lost my mother to cancer, yet there is a joke in the film which contains the word cancer," he said. "I urge analysis of context, lest the 'outrage industry' get the better of us."

"Ted" scored $54 million at the box office last weekend, and the offensive punch line has been making the rounds on Twitter ever since.

"We just want to stop this alarming trend before it becomes too widespread," Traci Bisson of the ALS Therapy Alliance, a Boston-based advocacy group, said in a statement. "We want to make it clear that ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease, is not a laughing matter for people and families suffering from this life-threatening illness."

Actor Mark Wahlberg, who delivers the line, says he "had no idea" it would offend people with ALS.

"Obviously, you know, it wasn't our intention to really offend anybody," Wahlberg told "The Tommy Show" on 94.7 Fresh FM. "Seth wrote the material, so you've got to take it up with him."

Jeff Lester, a self-professed MacFarlane fan with ALS, says the joke went too far.

"This line from Ted is something that never should have been said much less survived the editing process for a major movie release especially as a punch line for a comedy," Lester wrote in an open letter to MacFarlane and Wahlberg posted on Facebook. "From one man to another, I hope you or anyone you know or love NEVER GETS Lou Gehrig's disease."

[pic - click to view]

Lou Gehrig's Disease: Seth MacFarlane Responds to 'Ted' Backlash - ABC News

53 comments for "Seth MacFarlane Responds to 'Ted' Backlash"

07-07-2012, 01:59 PM         #2
Silver N Black  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
dudes caught feelings over that line?
 5 years ago '04        #3
Drug Free|M 11 heat pts11
space
space
$49,203 | Props total: 1360 1360
that was the most memorable line of the movie for me

i was dying

iv even said it to a couple of people since seeing it
 07-07-2012, 02:22 PM         #4
-BigC-  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
But other movies/shows can say I hope you get aids etc?

People laughed because it was random, which is Seths humor.
 5 years ago '05        #5
Dillinger805 4 heat pts
space
space
$6,994 | Props total: 83 83
its a joke, ya prob little in bad taste but funny lol
 07-07-2012, 02:53 PM         #6
kevante  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
it's a fu*king joke. Oversensitive people are the worst
 5 years ago '07        #7
tacuna 320 12 heat pts12
space
space
$4,124 | Props total: 1350 1350
 -BigC- said:
But other movies/shows can say I hope you get aids etc?

People laughed because it was random, which is Seths humor.
good avy
 07-07-2012, 04:34 PM         #8
Apostrophe  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
God people are such pussies now a days. You'd think having a life threatening disease they'd have more to worry about than a line in a fu*king comedy movie starring an animated teddy bear. fu*k em, it was the funniest line in the whole movie.
 5 years ago '04        #9
mikebizzle 
space
space
$322 | Props total: 0 0
 07-07-2012, 04:36 PM         #10
adadfalife607  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
its either everythings okay..or nothing...people still so damn sensitive
 07-07-2012, 04:37 PM         #11
Throbbin' Thicke  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
fu*k them, they should be in therapy instead of watchin movies anyway.
 5 years ago '04        #12
JFamis 235 heat pts235
space
space
$16,985 | Props total: 4329 4329
Wow... My little sister is dying from an autoimmune disease and cancer and if anyone made a joke like this with one of those two diseases, I wouldn't be offended at all and neither would she. What pussies.
 5 years ago '07        #13
Jayceon 492 heat pts492
space
space
$27,600 | Props total: 912 912
Als has never affected me or anyone around me to my knowledge so I really have no opinion on this beyond artistic freedom.
 5 years ago '04        #14
cold_young_thug 40 heat pts40
space
space
$9,608 | Props total: 1775 1775
maybe its ironic ALS sufferers are sensitive??
 5 years ago '07        #15
Kinglew88 13 heat pts13
space
space
$13,551 | Props total: 1169 1169
Them ppl need to sit the fu*k down

A joke in a movie....damn this world turning soft as baby sh*t
 5 years ago '08        #16
The Fifth KD 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$3,478 | Props total: 1271 1271
My grandmother died of Lou Gehrigs disease.

.....And I laughed with everyone else in that theater when that joke came around. As I'm sure the Jewish and Mexican people did when there were jokes at their expense.

Does comedy play a part in creating attitudes that trivialize the struggle/life conditions of various group of people? Absolutely.

But that's not the fault of comedy that people can be such pieces of sh*t that can't sympathize or empathize with other people. And the beautiful thing about comedy is that jokes can and are made about everyone. You might not hear it in a multimillion dollar box office smash, but that doesn't mean they dont and can't exist. Comedy should have no boundaries.
 07-07-2012, 06:25 PM         #17
yeahson  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
"The punch line prompted an online petition urging MacFarlane to apologize and donate $200,000 of the movie's proceedings to ALS research."

That's what this is really about.
 5 years ago '05        #18
mikesaimname 4 heat pts
space
space
$1,645 | Props total: 200 200
whiny liberals....stop it
 5 years ago '08        #19
BRonin357 4 heat pts
space
space
$5,877 | Props total: 1155 1155
straight BS, but if I was him I'd give the dough and not give an apology. Tell'em if they can't take a joke then don't take my cash!
 07-07-2012, 06:42 PM         #20
tj.iscool  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 S.TEX said:
dudes caught feelings over that line?
u don't see black people crying about that black joke line tho
Home      

most viewed right now
NFL The Explicit Details of Accusations Vs NFL Network Employees
153 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside X-MEN return to Marvel Studios in less than 48 hours
90 comments
2 days ago
@movies
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Snippets of American Dream-Cole ft. Kendrick
46 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 12 - US 'Living Off 1950s Infrastructure,' Must Spend $2 Trillion to Moder..
78 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Floor Kids (Game looks dope)
20 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Who's jumping on this Tron(Trx) Spaceship??
96 comments
2 days ago
@misc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
71 comments
2 days ago
@sports
most viewed right now
NBA LONZO BALL FULL HIGHLIGHTS DEBUT GAME IN NY GOES OFF FROM 3 POINT LAND :mj..
50 comments
1 day ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy