The Official "The Dark Knight Rises" Review Thread - (Reactions will start coming in Today)

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Fake Ashanti Look WAAY BADDER Than The Real Ashanti
29 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Troy ave is back ladies and gentleman
66 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Stoner slut Nani -- would fu-k 4 weed
78 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside New IG PIcs of Cocain.Lorraine
129 comments
@thotsdimesetc

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-18-2012, 02:57 PM         #441
youknowmystelo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
get the fu*k outta here with that bullsh*t.
 5 years ago '10        #442
Agentzer0oo0 209 heat pts209
space
space
$67,849 | Props total: 20807 20807
 DaOmega_1 said:

4 stars (out of 4)

So much for negative New York critics...
Out of all the reviews this is probably the most surprising. Daily News & Post are notorious for their negative reviews.

Only one more day
 07-18-2012, 03:03 PM         #443
Illstreet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Why do cats insist on ruining sh*t for others? I really don't get it...

This cat that just came in...

The Brazidee Thread with all that sh*t in the title(haven't gone in). It's like are you really that desperate? Fukk off...

Ok, Brazidee is a Bills fan, he is desperate... But still, don't be such a fukken as*hole.

People make me sick.
 07-18-2012, 03:20 PM         #444
youknowmystelo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
what a bi*ch a.ss n*gga.
 5 years ago '04        #445
C.R.I.P. 3 heat pts
space
space
$17,923 | Props total: 4282 4282
 Antbone said:
Spoiler Alert

The ending leaves it open for a possible spinoff movie..
You son of a bi*ch.
 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM         #446
Illstreet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Jeffrey Wells - Hollywood Elsewhere - RIDICULOUSLY POSITIVE

Propulsive, Disciplined, Densely Woven...Wow

Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises (Warner Bros., 7.20) is the first superhero flick in a long time to have won me over so completely that it made me feel like a geek. It felt so overwhelmingly effective that I just folded up my crabby attitude and put it in a Fed Ex package and sent it off to a p.o. box in New Jersey. It k!lls, this thing. It really does. Knockout City.

Ultra-disciplined pacing, dialogue that is clear and true and adds up (and which you can actually understand except for occasional Bane moments), breathtaking IMAX footage, whomping aural impact and an exhilarating movie-ish euphoria...Nolan wins, I capitulate, and Marshall Fine and the naysayers are just too picky and picayune.

Every line of dialogue, every shot, and every cut counts in this thing. The sheer discipline that went into The Dark Knight Rises got me off more than anything else. It's made of high-quality fibre and is densely and expertly threaded like a world-class T-shirt. And it is eighteen or nineteen times better than either of the Joel Schumacher or Tim Burton Batman films. When they say "stop your bi*ching and just kick back and enjoy it for the movie-movie wows and adrenaline highs," this is the kind of film they're referring to -- this is the gold and silver and bronze standard rolled into one.

TDKR is tight, tight, tight, tight. It breathes and moves and doesn't feel turgid but God, it's like it began as a four-hour movie and somehow Nolan whittled it down to 165 minutes. I can't imagine how Nolan could tell the story he's chosen and cram it all into a two-hour running time. It flew right the hell by, I can tell you that. (I was furious that I was forced to hit the head at the 75-minute mark.) And when something is flying by (as opposed to plodding or jogging by), you just stop caring about the problems and the speed-bumps, which TDKR certainly has if you really wanna go there.

I'm not going to argue with anyone who says The Dark Knight is a better film. Fine, I don't care, whatever. And I could complain about some aspects that bothered me here and there (like the almost Taxi Driver-ish finale), but if a well-oiled, well-tuned movie of this sort is just blitzkrieging and rolling over you like a tank and you're lying there and loving the sheer craft and the power and the will of it, all of this stuff falls by the wayside.

I don't even know what TDKR is really "saying" in a cultural-political-philosphical vein and for all I know it is some kind of Republican fantasy action flick that guys like John Boehner will love, but I forgot about my political affiliation as I watched it. And that's saying something.

I didn't like The Avengers to begin with (I called it "corporate p!ss in a gleaming silver bucket"), but that movie is dog excrement compared to The Dark Knight Rises. Joss Whedon is a good guy now because of his ComicCon rant about the U.S. turning into Tsarist Russia, but don't even mention his directorial skills alongside Nolan's. Nolan knows, Nolan is a madman, Nolan delivers and will kick your a.ss around the block with this film. He and his co-writing brother Jonathan and co-story guy David Goyer...all in the weaving and the tight, tight, tight, tight, tight construction.

I won't argue with anyone who's claiming that TDKR doesn't align all that well with what's percolating today with the banksta gangstas and Occupy-ers and official lies about the spirit-soaring wonder of living in the USA today (which nobody with half a brain believes in any more), and I won't argue against anyone who feels that Bane's (i.e., Tom Hardy's) Escape From New York-style imprisonment of Manhattan is like some loony Republican fantasia about what could happen to this country if leftist hooligans and illegals were to have their way entirely. There are obvious echoes in the financial calamities that befall Buce Wayne's empire, but I will say no more than that.

But I will argue against anyone who claims that The Dark Knight Rises doesn't work. It has to be regarded as one of the year's best so far, and I really don't see how the Academy oldsters can dismiss it and not say "okay, we get it...we should have nominated The Dark Knight and we know we fu*ked up, so we're going to nominate the finale...not with any expectation that it will win or anything, but because it absolutely deserves to be called one of the year's finest films."

This is a movie and a half that just carries you along like white-water. I went in with a bit of a pissy attitude -- I'll admit that now. I was waiting to be disappointed or underwhelmed in some Marshall Fine-like way, but it just refused to comply. A lady academic friend who came along said she felt bored, but for me it never sagged or wheezed or felt tedious or ponderous. I know I was in good hands almost immediately. By the half-hour mark I said, "Oh, the hell with it...this thing is wailing."

There's no way you can see this except on a huge IMAX screen. I would love to go back and catch it in IMAX again this weekend, but I know I won't be able to get in. And forget Bluray or watching it on an iPad or iPhone or any other substitute experience. And cheers to dp Wally Pfister, who's one of the last hold-outs against digital photography. It may be that The Dark Knight Rises will be one of the last super-successful movies shot on celluloid, but what a finale! This is one terrific-looking film. And what a glorious thing not to have to deal with 3D glasses...pure pleasure!

People over at SHH were acting shocked by this one, so I'm a.ssuming he either doesn't like Nolan or his Batman series before this one.

07-18-2012, 03:45 PM         #447
Illstreet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Sasha Stone - Awards Daily - EXTREMELY POSITIVE:

For the first time in US history, the Presidential election may be won by twenty or so billionaires who are funneling their resources into the Mitt Romney campaign. When we look back on this period in our history we will be astounded that the land of the free, home of the brave would have ever sold out so easily to the top 1%. But things aren’t just bad here. Ruination has been seeping under the infrastructure for a long time. The rotting starts from below and eventually, no structure on the surface can hold. The children get left behind. They are our future and if we erode the foundation for them, they will have no ground to stand on, no ground to build their world up from, and they will be left on a bridge to nowhere, staring incomprehendingly at the wasteland we’ve left for them.

It is no surprise, then, that with The Dark Knight Rises Christopher Nolan would dive even deeper into what he touched on in the masterful second film in the trilogy, The Dark Knight. With the third, and maybe last, there is no question where the sentiment lies. This is a fierce indictment of the upper class, an unashamed rejection of the old money to which Bruce Wayne had become accustomed, and the illusion that those who protest economic theft really are self-serving thugs. The easiest way to control people is when you superimpose your own agenda onto theirs. The villain here isn’t Wall Street, though; it’s a beefy, ironclaw-faced ball of rage named Bane (an unrecognizable Thomas Hardy) who will take Gotham, swat Batman away like a fly, and hold the city under siege as we await our superhero to pull through and save the day, as promised

Nothing is really as it seems in The Dark Knight Rises. You peel back one layer and another layer is laid bare. Batman (Christian Bale digging out Bruce Wayne like never before). But to find the real Batman, Bruce Wayne must be destroyed. Like the City of Gotham, Wayne is dismantled, literally, piece by piece, body blow by body blow – outsmarted, outmuscled, outgunned. Batman takes a tumble, of course, and it isn’t a spoiler to say that eventually Batman returns, though he’s forever changed.

The Dark Knight Rises puts the “dark” back in “the knight” — for Bruce Wayne to change, for Batman to see things from the bottom up. But to build from the ground up, Batman has to work outside the system and live life as those who really do have nothing. And in many ways, this is where the whole story starts.

While there will be those writers who look at the first layer and decide that Bane and the prisoners he frees to work as his army are an allusion to the Wall Street protesters, the thugs surf the wave of anger that was already in place long before they got there, the wave of anger and frustration we all feel. The movie doesn’t set that right. It doesn’t even try. It lets it be, the same way much of the Joker’s angst was understandable. There is right and there is wrong and there is something in between. The in-between is where Christopher Nolan lives and that isn’t ever going to be comfortable for viewers. He asks questions more than he answers them. Nolan isn’t ready to deliver his own morality so easily to the audience. It’s open for interpretation and it will be interesting where audiences fall. I suspect the debate will rage on. Either way, no other film so far this year, except perhaps Beasts of the Southern Wild, will crack open the can of worms that gets people talking about what the author means like this one.

There isn’t a Joker around this time to make things painfully clear. Because audiences are more conditioned now to see the male figure as the only one who could have taken the Joker’s place, they neglect to see that the one who mostly does that this time around is the brilliantly bitter Catwoman. Hathaway has hinted at what she’s capable of as an actress for a while now. But I suspect that 2012 is going to be the year she becomes a force to be reckoned with. With this and her upcoming performance in Les Miz, Hathaway is going to show many colors in her spectral light. Strutting around in latex, heels and a shock of red across her plump lips, Hathaway moves like liquid mercury. Her Catwoman doesn’t try to tread ground already covered by Michelle Pfeiffer, the best thing about Batman Returns. Pfeiffer’s Catwoman is beaten down until she finally morphs into half-cat to exact her revenge. Hathaway’s Catwoman is smarter than any of her male counterparts and is held back only by the slim figure she cuts. She is the moral weather vane in this film because she teeters on the edge of right and wrong. She has the best lines in the film and if The Dark Knight Rises has any one major flaw it’s that there isn’t enough of Catwoman. Like The Joker, the movie suffers when she isn’t around to liven things up. Hathaway hits the target every time, and finds yet another layer of her iconic figure to reveal – scrappy, resourceful survivor.

We are not left feeling satisfied by the end of The Dark Knight Rises, which is perhaps its greatest triumph and biggest obstacle. There isn’t anyone working in film now like Christopher Nolan. He is an auteur working in the mainstream, proving that it can still be done 35 years after Star Wars. We’re so used to getting everything all at once in movies anymore. But it is a smarter collective Nolan is working for. He never dumbs it down. You’re expecting cliches but you never hear them. How can anyone not applaud a filmmaker who holds his audience in such high esteem? How can anyone criticize fans of Nolan’s who have come to expect such treatment? Is it any wonder we are all so emotionally involved?

New York City has been burned and saved by at least three times by super heroes this summer. Those rescues, by design, become an escapist fantasy where there really are super heroes who can right the wrongs human beings multiply. We need our superheroes now more than ever because our collective future looks more bleak than ever. We need superheroes because our elected officials can’t miraculously fix things. How satisfying, then, to spend a couple of hours where the superheroes do what none of us can. But Christopher Nolan is never going to make it that easy. In his film, our problems don’t go away because the villains are stopped. Because society can’t change, the superhero must.

It really is amazing how some see it as Right Wing... And Others just as clearly as Left Wing. Nolan is too nice with it.
 07-18-2012, 03:55 PM         #448
Illstreet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Cluadia Puig - USA Today - Rating "3/4" - Apparently contains big spoilers so minimum quotes:

"The Dark Knight Rises" is a fitting conclusion to an artful trilogy, culminating with satisfying dazzle, despite some notable flaws.

Christopher Nolan's intelligent take on the classic Batman comic book saga is grounded in complexity, realism and grit. As in the previous two films, the plot is intricate and the characters are multidimensional.

What stands out most, particularly on IMAX screens, is the film's gorgeous cinematography. Nolan's beautifully framed shots are remarkably artful, such as the first quick glimpse of Wayne in the reflection of a silver platter.

Nolan also skillfully juxtaposes sound and silence to heighten a mood. In a few scenes, however, Hans Zimmer's musical score approaches bombast, but then dials down and intensifies the action. Scenes of eerie quiet are particularly powerful.

"A hero can be anyone," says Bale as Batman. But it's impossible to imagine anyone as pitch-perfect as Bale in the heroic role.

And no one could have told the saga better than Nolan.
 07-18-2012, 04:12 PM         #449
Illstreet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Peter Suderman - The Washington Times - Rating 3 1/2 out of 4:

Holy trilogy, Batman! After three films, it’s finally become clear as a Batarang to the face what British director Christopher Nolan’s marvelously grim-‘n’-gloomy take on the caped crusader was really about: not Batman, and not even the villains he fought, but their home, Gotham, and the breakdown of urban social order. And, yes, also guys in rubber, ribbed costumes beating the living snot out of each other.

“The Dark Knight Rises” is a blitz film about a city under siege in which survival requires personal sacrifice and a resistance to mob impulses. Like its immediate predecessor, “The Dark Knight,” Mr. Nolan’s final film flirts with contemporary politics.

But is the movie just Occupy Gotham, with Bane as a super-villain class warrior and Batman — the alter ego of billionaire Bruce Wayne — as an avatar of the one percent sent to save the city?

As with Mr. Nolan’s earlier entries in the Batman franchise, the political particulars serve partly as scenery designed to give it contemporary flair, the narrative equivalent of high-tech Bat-junk hanging around Batman’s secret cave lair. But the class warfare that drives Bane’s urban siege also serves a larger metaphor.

Mr. Nolan has said the movie is inspired by Charles d!ckens‘ novel about the French Revolution, “A Tale of Two Cities,” and that’s telling: “The Dark Knight Rises” is not so much anti-Occupy Wall Street as it is anti-revolutionary, positioning Batman as a small-c conservative defender of duty and common manners.

Americans have frequently cast Batman as a vigilante bent on vengeance, but Mr. Nolan’s British sensibility repositions him as a warrior in a f!ght for social decency: He f!ghts crime with a stiff upper lip.

As “The Dark Knight” explicitly acknowledged, there is something odd about the idea of a hero who dresses up like a bat and stalks a city looking for criminals. But the popular and critical success of Mr. Nolan’s films suggests something odder still: the enduring cultural fascination with Batman.

How many mental hours — not to mention hard earned dollars — have Americans devoted to creating and consuming the elaborately imagined adventures of this quasi-psychopathic spandex-clad weirdo? Yet at this point, liking Batman is as common as hating Congress, and some of our best pop-artists have devoted considerable effort to relaying his story. The character, who first appeared in a 1939 comic book, has arguably passed the test that marks a true fictional classic: He’s stood the test of time.

Mr. Nolan’s gloriously bleak take on Batman is perhaps the best possible vision of the seven-decade old character — a powerful man who, like the city he inhabits, is at war with himself. In part that’s because unlike so many would-be superhero auteurs, Mr. Nolan has figured out that Batman’s origin story is not the most interesting thing about him. Instead, he’s cast the Dark Knight as a reflection of the world he lives in, a defender of security and calm in an era of uncertainty and instability — a dark anti-radical who is not part of any revolution, but leading the charge against it, one Bam!, Pow! and Whap! at a time.
 5 years ago '07        #450
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
$85,775 | Props total: 14587 14587
Damn Antbone over here dropping huge spoilers
 07-18-2012, 04:25 PM         #451
Illstreet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
I got Ronnie to Delete his Posts and put him on warning... Do it again and he's Banned for good.

Fukken as*hole.
 5 years ago '07        #452
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 Michael 1987 said:
sh*t got removed.
People still quoted it though, delete those... I mean I already know what happens in the movie (I like spoilers and I'll read them sometimes) but I'm not the type to say what happens. If I do (on rare occasions) I use tags.
 07-18-2012, 04:29 PM         #453
Illstreet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Thanks for confirming the info Houge...

It is what it is at this point. ... I fu*kken ruined this for myself just like I did TDK.

I hate myself.
 5 years ago '05        #454
DaOmega_1 271 heat pts271
space
space
$13,830 | Props total: 4096 4096
 Illstreet said:

It is what it is at this point. ... I fu*kken ruined this for myself just like I did TDK.

I hate myself.
He didn't really confirm anything...

PLUS, those "spoilers" directly contradict things I've heard about the movie from folks I know who work at WB.
 5 years ago '07        #455
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 Illstreet said:

I hate myself.
It wouldn't have mattered you had two people quoting it... I'm like

and I thought you already read a review that contained spoilers.
 07-18-2012, 04:44 PM         #456
Illstreet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Oh boy, here comes one for Stelo LOL... The Term FACIST!... Yet a Glowing Review.

SPOILER FILLED REVIEW

Andrew O'Hehir - SALON.com(was expected to be a bad Review) - EXTREMELY POSITIVE:

“The Dark Knight Rises”: Christopher Nolan’s evil masterpiece

The "Dark Knight" trilogy thunders to an end with this huge, gloomy, magnificent (and fascistic) spectacle

I’m tempted to argue that the real story of Nolan’s “Dark Knight” trilogy is the story of its own creation, a dark, personal, auteurist spectacle on a scale never before possible and never before attempted, and an enormously successful mass-market entertainment to boot. If the central theme of these movies is the triumph of the will (to coin a phrase), then that triumph is not Batman’s or Bruce Wayne’s but that of solitary and devious superhero/supervillain Chris Nolan, as he imposes his bizarre obsessions on the entire world.

Again, I have to point out the awesomeness that, Some Right Wingers think it's Liberal... Some Liberals think it's Right Wing... Some Right Wingers think it's Right Wing... Some Left Wingers think it's Left Wing.

Pretty funny, and impressive if you ask me.
 07-18-2012, 04:46 PM         #457
Illstreet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
People Viewing This Topic: 13 (10 members and 3 guests)
Illstreet, Antbone, akeem923, Heisenberg, adam1122, youknowmystelo, L-E-Dub bi*ch, GodsFavorite

Get out of here sh*thead... Unless you want a Permanant Ban...
 5 years ago '07        #458
TH35 103 heat pts103
space
space
 Illstreet said:
Again, I have to point out the awesomeness that, Some Right Wingers think it's Liberal... Some Liberals think it's Right Wing... Some Right Wingers think it's Right Wing... Some Left Wingers think it's Left Wing.

Isn't that almost with every controversial film? I only say this is controversial because they label Bane a "terrorist".
 07-18-2012, 04:50 PM         #459
youknowmystelo  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Illstreet said:
Oh boy, here comes one for Stelo LOL... The Term FACIST!... Yet a Glowing Review.

SPOILER FILLED REVIEW

Andrew O'Hehir - SALON.com(was expected to be a bad Review) - EXTREMELY POSITIVE:

[pic - click to view]

07-18-2012, 04:53 PM         #460
Illstreet  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 TH35 said:
Isn't that almost with every controversial film? I only say this is controversial because they label Bane a "terrorist".
I need examples, cause right now I'm not sure what your refering to.

I can't think of many off hand that have been this divided.
Home      

most viewed right now
Rappers that have or had AIDS
166 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
202 comments
19 hours ago
@news
most viewed right now
Video inside Boxden man is in tears after getting robbed of $20,000 by his friends..
89 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Video inside Response to Joyner Lucas 'I'm Not Racist'
225 comments
19 hours ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA IT OFFICIAL: Lamelo & LiAngelo Ball Have Gone Pro, Sign 1 Year Deal With L..
261 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sweet Colombian....Baddie... IDK nigga she got ass and she pretty. peep
90 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
The internet reacts to people getting finessed by the mother of the viral bull..
187 comments
19 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 11 - Government agencies announce plan to sellout the internet
134 comments
19 hours ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy