Google Nexus 7 is now official, comes in July for $199

most viewed right now
 77
Nicki Minaj speaks up against White rappers taking over the charts
153 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 64
NBA New NBA logo? 👑🔥🔥🔥
30 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
 56
Image(s) inside 50 cent Ex likes photo of his shooter Hommo on IG
56 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
 33
NBA Isiah Thomas Says His Family was Worse than Lavar Ball "He Used to Rob Eve..
62 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook
 

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '04        #41
fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323
space
avatar space
space
$9,570 | Props total: 2715 2715
it's official, i just preordered this.

I figure it makes more sense to get a cheap tablet now then pick up a high end one next year. A15 processors are dropping in the fall and winter that will make the sIII look slow
 06-28-2012, 07:36 PM         #42
xeduran  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Se7en said:
You sure this is doable? Because other wise I might not cop this. I want 32Gbs
It supports USB host mode, I am 1000% positive it is doable. It can be done on the Galaxy Tab. Unless if Google specifically implemented something to prevent USB host mode (of course not) it is completely doable.

I just checked online and it has been confirmed that the Nexus 7 has USB OTG. In order words it supports host mode.



"Update: I've had many emails and questions about whether USB-OTG (On The Go) is supported on the Nexus 7, and didn't touch on it when I originally hit publish becuause I wasn't entirely sure. I've now confirmed that USB-OTG is supported on the Nexus 7, and works on the current Android 4.1 non-final build that has been sampled. That's encouraging, and I'll test it myself when I get home and to my miniUSB OTG adapter."


Last edited by xeduran; 06-28-2012 at 07:49 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #43
Explicit 239 heat pts239
space
avatar space
space
$10,092 | Props total: 2398 2398
 Merzennary said:
It charged me when I purchased it yesterday.

I dont think it will be in stores.... I might be wrong.
No it says on the receipt that you will be charged when it is shipped.
 5 years ago '09        #44
mtva24 224 heat pts224
space
avatar space
space
$8,832 | Props total: 1146 1146
Just pre-ordered the 16gb from the google play store

Sold my HP touchpad to my father in law for 130 so that's a nexus 7 for 120


Last edited by mtva24; 07-01-2012 at 10:27 AM..
 5 years ago '09        #45
mtva24 224 heat pts224
space
avatar space
space
$8,832 | Props total: 1146 1146
So what are you ninjas gonna spend your $25 play store credit on?
 07-01-2012, 03:50 PM         #46
xeduran  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 xeduran said:
It supports USB host mode, I am 1000% positive it is doable. It can be done on the Galaxy Tab. Unless if Google specifically implemented something to prevent USB host mode (of course not) it is completely doable.

I just checked online and it has been confirmed that the Nexus 7 has USB OTG. In order words it supports host mode.



"Update: I've had many emails and questions about whether USB-OTG (On The Go) is supported on the Nexus 7, and didn't touch on it when I originally hit publish becuause I wasn't entirely sure. I've now confirmed that USB-OTG is supported on the Nexus 7, and works on the current Android 4.1 non-final build that has been sampled. That's encouraging, and I'll test it myself when I get home and to my miniUSB OTG adapter."
I just found out some disappointing news for some of you. The Nexus 7 has been confirmed to support USB-OTG, but it does not natively support external storage devices. I do not know why Google did this, but they did. This means that you will have to root your Nexus 7 to use thumb drives. It has been done already over at XDA and they have used an external thumb drive successfully, but you must root your device.

As of right now, you can only mount the drive and copy from the external drive onto the internal memory. You cannot read directly from the external drive. So you would have to copy the movie/music/files to your internal temporarily while you access it. This method is using an app called StickMount which also works on the Galaxy Nexus. Maybe once CM10 is made, you will be able to access the external memory directly. The hardware is there, Google did not add the software. I cannot believe they did this, it is complete utter bullsh*t on Google's part. They do not include an sdcard slot and then they add all the hardware for USB-OTG and purposely leave out the software.


Last edited by xeduran; 07-01-2012 at 04:03 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #47
fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323
space
avatar space
space
$9,570 | Props total: 2715 2715
 xeduran said:
I just found out some disappointing news for some of you. The Nexus 7 has been confirmed to support USB-OTG, but it does not natively support external storage devices. I do not know why Google did this, but they did. This means that you will have to root your Nexus 7 to use thumb drives. It has been done already over at XDA and they have used an external thumb drive successfully, but you must root your device.

As of right now, you can only mount the drive and copy from the external drive onto the internal memory. You cannot read directly from the external drive. So you would have to copy the movie/music/files to your internal temporarily while you access it. This method is using an app called StickMount which also works on the Galaxy Nexus. Maybe once CM10 is made, you will be able to access the external memory directly. The hardware is there, Google did not add the software. I cannot believe they did this, it is complete utter bullsh*t on Google's part. They do not include an sdcard slot and then they add all the hardware for USB-OTG and purposely leave out the software.

Remember the release that's out now is just a beta... so lets wait until the nexus 7 releases to see if its a feature or not. We don't know if journalists and developers have test models or the official model


Last edited by fat_boyy21; 07-01-2012 at 04:29 PM..
 07-01-2012, 06:23 PM         #48
xeduran  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fat_boyy21 said:
Remember the release that's out now is just a beta... so lets wait until the nexus 7 releases to see if its a feature or not. We don't know if journalists and developers have test models or the official model
According to emails sent to Google, external harddrives are not supported in the software. You will need to root the tablet.
 5 years ago '04        #49
fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323
space
avatar space
space
$9,570 | Props total: 2715 2715
 xeduran said:
According to emails sent to Google, external harddrives are not supported in the software. You will need to root the tablet.
I think you meant to say 'sent from Google' and it sucks if that's the case
 07-01-2012, 06:49 PM         #50
xeduran  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fat_boyy21 said:
I think you meant to say 'sent from Google' and it sucks if that's the case
Well I meant both, sent to and from Google. Developers and reviewers have asked Google if it would be supported in software and Google's reply has been no. Yes it sucks. You would have to root it just to be able to access the external drive. And even in that case, you can only copy files from the external to the internal. You still have to play the media from the internal. I guess it is better than nothing though. Custom ROMs may be able to give you full access, but it sucks that Google went this route. I think they really are pushing people to use the cloud.
 5 years ago '05        #51
PhrozenMenace 
space
avatar space
space
$14,039 | Props total: 1403 1403
sucks for now but i dont mind rooting..still copping that 16gb
 5 years ago '04        #52
fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323
space
avatar space
space
$9,570 | Props total: 2715 2715
 xeduran said:
Well I meant both, sent to and from Google. Developers and reviewers have asked Google if it would be supported in software and Google's reply has been no. Yes it sucks. You would have to root it just to be able to access the external drive. And even in that case, you can only copy files from the external to the internal. You still have to play the media from the internal. I guess it is better than nothing though. Custom ROMs may be able to give you full access, but it sucks that Google went this route. I think they really are pushing people to use the cloud.
the other reason is that they dont want to compete to hard against the oems they work with. if it allowed sd cards and had full usb hosting why would someone get another android tablet
 07-01-2012, 07:57 PM         #53
xeduran  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fat_boyy21 said:
the other reason is that they dont want to compete to hard against the oems they work with. if it allowed sd cards and had full usb hosting why would someone get another android tablet
I am sorry, but that is a stupid reason. Why release a tablet then if they are worried about taking the thunder from other manufacturers. Purposely gimping a tablet so that people would buy other tablets makes no sense. Either release a full product or do not release it at all. It would be different if they had to remove some hardware to cut costs. This is purely software. They purposely left the software needed out. It is a shame that the GSIII (a phone) has more USB functionality than the Nexus 7 (a dang tablet).

I usually support Google, but they can suck a d*ck with this move.
 5 years ago '05        #54
PhrozenMenace 
space
avatar space
space
$14,039 | Props total: 1403 1403
so you think the asus 370t will still come out,or google just took over for nexus 7? read a lil bit and found out the 370t had the same specs,price,and a decent 8mp camera
 5 years ago '04        #55
fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323
space
avatar space
space
$9,570 | Props total: 2715 2715
 xeduran said:
I am sorry, but that is a stupid reason. Why release a tablet then if they are worried about taking the thunder from other manufacturers. Purposely gimping a tablet so that people would buy other tablets makes no sense. Either release a full product or do not release it at all. It would be different if they had to remove some hardware to cut costs. This is purely software. They purposely left the software needed out. It is a shame that the GSIII (a phone) has more USB functionality than the Nexus 7 (a dang tablet).

I usually support Google, but they can suck a d*ck with this move.
think about it, google cares most about the software, and nexus devices are to mainly showcase the software. look at all of the other nexus releases, they never have all of the latest hardware. they're always a little 'gimped' (think the galaxy nexus camera compared to the sII camera) also, asus is about to drop the infinity and the nexus tablet would hurt that release if it came fully spec'd out. and remember google owns motorola now so do they really need another company to manufacture nexus devices?... of course not, but a device release like this tells me they did this IN PART to stay on good terms with the oem's they work with.
 07-01-2012, 08:30 PM         #56
xeduran  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 fat_boyy21 said:
think about it, google cares most about the software, and nexus devices are to mainly showcase the software. look at all of the other nexus releases, they never have all of the latest hardware. they're always a little 'gimped' (think the galaxy nexus camera compared to the sII camera) also, asus is about to drop the infinity and the nexus tablet would hurt that release if it came fully spec'd out. and remember google owns motorola now so do they really need another company to manufacture nexus devices?... of course not, but a device release like this tells me they did this IN PART to stay on good terms with the oem's they work with.
Again then do not release the tablet. They could have showcase Jelly Bean running on a Transformer Prime. It is the same internal hardware. Gimping a phone or tablet in hardware I do not care about. But removing software features is ridiculous. I cannot take Google serious when they release products then. I just will not buy Google based phones or tablets if that is the case. What is the point? I can just buy better hardware and get the software from the open source community. Seeing as how I have to do that anyway now because Google is removing software features.
 5 years ago '04        #57
fat_boyy21 323 heat pts323
space
avatar space
space
$9,570 | Props total: 2715 2715
 xeduran said:
Again then do not release the tablet. They could have showcase Jelly Bean running on a Transformer Prime. It is the same internal hardware. Gimping a phone or tablet in hardware I do not care about. But removing software features is ridiculous. I cannot take Google serious when they release products then. I just will not buy Google based phones or tablets if that is the case. What is the point? I can just buy better hardware and get the software from the open source community. Seeing as how I have to do that anyway now because Google is removing software features.
it does suck, but it looks like that's how it's going to be. I remember when I had my nexus one, i hacked it in part to enable the fm radio, and hd video recording. then the desire released around a bit later with those features enabled . This specific move does strike me as odd tho because it's a software feature that's been available since honeycomb.
 5 years ago '09        #58
mtva24 224 heat pts224
space
avatar space
space
$8,832 | Props total: 1146 1146
Who cares, they had to short something since they are selling this at cost...the average user isn't going to burn 8-16 gbs....plus u have Google music anyways...
 07-02-2012, 12:15 PM         #59
xeduran  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 mtva24 said:
Who cares, they had to short something since they are selling this at cost...the average user isn't going to burn 8-16 gbs....plus u have Google music anyways...
They did not have to short external hard drive access. It is purely a software feature, the hardware is already there. It would have cost Google $0 to implement the feature. Whether the average user needs the extra storage or not is not the point. Why purposely remove a feature that is present in all other ICS devices as well as Honeycomb?
 5 years ago '04        #60
dgangsta 
space
space
space
$1,771 | Props total: 0 0
anyone know if there's gonna be a bigger (10.1") version of this coming out soon? these 7 inches probably too small for what i need.
Home      
  
 

 






most viewed right now
 20
Erykah badu shows that fur burger
90 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 19
Image(s) inside Might let her meet the parents
81 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
 14
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - China is raising the next generation of African elites by tra..
41 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 12
Infinity War Countdown - 140 days left: Disney pulls dick out on the entertain..
82 comments
1 day ago
@movies
most viewed right now
 6
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Amazon may have just dropped a clue about the home of its new..
88 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 6
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - This Colorado city declined to allow pot sales. Now it's havi..
29 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
 5
Dragon Ball FighterZ Jump Festa 2018 Trailer
39 comments
21 hours ago
@games
most viewed right now
 4
NBA Kobe Bryant legendary stories like when MJ yelled @ Mugsy shoot u f'n midg..
94 comments
23 hours ago
@sports
back to top
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy