Dextrose after a workout - good or bad??

most viewed right now
Video inside My experience after record deal (warning)
209 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Article inside The 10 Worst Jay-Z Songs Of All Time
136 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Only 500 followers, catch her before she blow as a ig thot
52 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
NFL Things got out of control real quick during Sea/Jax game..player almost ju..
50 comments
@sports

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 5 years ago '09        #1
10189 pageviews
29 comments

rdogg11 25 heat pts25
space
space
space
$960 | Props total: 30 30
Dextrose after a workout - good or bad??

I usually injest about 50 grams protein mix with 60 gram dextrose which 60 grams of carbs.

I heard good and bad things. What do you guys usually take immediately after a workout??

29 comments for "Dextrose after a workout - good or bad??"

5 years ago '06        #2
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
$4,827 | Props total: 1169 1169

I've read both...personally I mass simple carbs post-workout as well for the insulin spike. There's articles both promoting and discouraging it.

You've now made me a bit curious so I'll be doing a little more research on this myself. The article above is from Chad Waterbury's website....he has a pretty good name for himself in the fitness industry.

Last edited by Hit Em' Up; 06-15-2012 at 06:29 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #3
CentsCuZ 19 heat pts19
space
space
$11,002 | Props total: 771 771
best thing to do is wait about 1 hr after your workout, then take it w/protein or have a well-balanced meal. you should wait to take advantage of the human growth hormone release that occurs post-workout. as soon as you take in carbs, you shut this process down because insulin and hgh do not coexist well together, in fact almost not at all, and carbs spike insulin. this is why they say not to eat carbs before bed, because during sleep your body releases hgh. don't buy the hype of these supplement companies that say you've gotta have carbs/post-workout supps within 30 min, etc.
 5 years ago '04        #4
Prodigy 36 heat pts36
space
space
$9,152 | Props total: 1 1
 CentsCuZ said:
best thing to do is wait about 1 hr after your workout, then take it w/protein or have a well-balanced meal. you should wait to take advantage of the human growth hormone release that occurs post-workout. as soon as you take in carbs, you shut this process down because insulin and hgh do not coexist well together, in fact almost not at all, and carbs spike insulin. this is why they say not to eat carbs before bed, because during sleep your body releases hgh. don't buy the hype of these supplement companies that say you've gotta have carbs/post-workout supps within 30 min, etc.
So much misinformation in one post. You're spreading old theories that have been debunked by science countless times.
 5 years ago '04        #5
CentsCuZ 19 heat pts19
space
space
 Prodigy said:
So much misinformation in one post. You're spreading old theories that have been debunked by science countless times.
Yet you refuted nothing specifically and presented no alternative approaches or sources. Hmm...
 5 years ago '04        #6
Prodigy 36 heat pts36
space
space
I think I've posted the studies before on this forum if I remember correctly. Too lazy to look for them right now.

'But analyzing a single meal without consideration to daily nutrition and workout protocol isn't going to help much, if at all, in practical terms.

Meal timing and macronutrient composition are typically unimportant, a.ssuming sufficient daily intake and sub-depletion workouts.

Also, although pre/post workout nutrient timing may be relevant for certain scenarios, for the average person on this website, for the goal of body composition, focusing on nutrient timing is going to be pretty irrelevant. Now if you are talking about maximizing athletic performance or someone who is pre-contest, or fasting, or some narrow scenario, then pre- & post- workout nutrient timing may be relevant, but when you are talking about a 45-60 minute weight lifting session in the afternoon when you already have a couple meals in your belly, no it is not worth worrying about.'

Same thing regarding nutrient timing applies to the no "carbs after (insert time)" myth as well.

Last edited by Prodigy; 06-16-2012 at 06:50 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #7
CentsCuZ 19 heat pts19
space
space
 Prodigy said:
I think I've posted the studies before on this forum if I remember correctly. Too lazy to look for them right now.

'But analyzing a single meal without consideration to daily nutrition and workout protocol isn't going to help much, if at all, in practical terms.

Meal timing and macronutrient composition are typically unimportant, a.ssuming sufficient daily intake and sub-depletion workouts.

Also, although pre/post workout nutrient timing may be relevant for certain scenarios, for the average person on this website, for the goal of body composition, focusing on nutrient timing is going to be pretty irrelevant. Now if you are talking about maximizing athletic performance or someone who is pre-contest, or fasting, or some narrow scenario, then pre- & post- workout nutrient timing may be relevant, but when you are talking about a 45-60 minute weight lifting session in the afternoon when you already have a couple meals in your belly, no it is not worth worrying about.'

Same thing regarding nutrient timing applies to the no "carbs after (insert time)" myth as well.
"Meal timing and macro-nutrient composition are unimportant a.ssuming sufficient daily intake"?

So if I wake up and eat 150 grams of protein, then don't get anymore protein the rest of the day, you don't think that the results will be any different than if I ate 30 grams of protein per meal, spread out over five meals every three hours?

If the answer is, "yes, there will be a difference in results", then you just refuted your entire point. If no, then ...

Anyway, take a look at this article which cites recent research from the University of Virginia:
 5 years ago '04        #8
CentsCuZ 19 heat pts19
space
space

[video - click to view]

5 years ago '09        #9
rdogg11 25 heat pts25 OP
space
space
space
$960 | Props total: 30 30
 CentsCuZ said:

Those dudes contradict themselves so much its a little confusing watching there videos.

I know they say in another video that they take a glass of juice with some creatine right after a workout and also to get that protein into your system as soon as possible.
 5 years ago '04        #10
CentsCuZ 19 heat pts19
space
space
 rdogg11 said:
Those dudes contradict themselves so much its a little confusing watching there videos.

I know they say in another video that they take a glass of juice with some creatine right after a workout and also to get that protein into your system as soon as possible.
Some of their videos are like 3+ years old. People learn things over that amount of time and, as a result, change beliefs. In this instance, they said they learned it in their sports nutrition class they're taking.
 5 years ago '06        #11
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
 CentsCuZ said:
That video was painful to watch those guys are really annoying and take 100 years to get to the point.

Anyway, like I said in my first post you'll come across trainers and articles that both promote and discourage carbs PWO. The article in my first post discourages it but here is an exerpt from Charles Poliquins website. He is very well respected in the fitness industry having trained professional athletes such as Donovan Bailey. He is an advocate of carbs PWO.

You may not be aware that post-workout nutrition is just as important as a robust pre-workout stack. Indeed, the latest research on exercise nutrition points to the following five significant findings to consider when developing an after-workout nutrition protocol:
1) the optimal ratio of carb/protein supplements
2) the differences in milk-based protein sources and the value of using whey rather than casein
3) the major benefit of adding creatine for the most potent carb/protein ratio and optimal protein anabolism
4) the reasons to add essential amino acids (EAAs) to your post-workout nutrition regimen
5) ideal carb/protein recommendations for aerobic endurance athletes.
Take heed of these valuable research-based suggestions and get the most from your nutrition program.

1) Get the greatest improvements in strength and body composition after resistance training by using a carb to protein ratio that meets your training goals. A conservative approach is to consume a supplement containing carb and protein in a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio within 30 minutes following exercise. This translates to 1.2 – 1.5 g/kg of simple carbs (e.g., dextrose, sucrose) with 0.3 – 0.5 g/kg of a quality protein containing essential amino acids.

A ratio of 2:1 to 1:1 of carb to protein may be indicated for resistance trained/anaerobic athletes to get the greatest increases in strength and hypertrophy. Few studies compare the benefits of different carb to protein ratios without including other variables such as the addition of creatine to the supplement, but there is data to support the use of ratios between 2:1 and 1:1. One study using a 1:1 ratio was more effective at promoting muscle hypertrophy among both fast and slow twitch fibers than supplementing with protein or carbs alone.

A universal finding of the studies surveyed support these ratios and suggest that adding a combination of carbohydrate (50 – 75 g) to protein (20 – 75 g) while completing heavy resistance training yields greater development of lean mass, decreases in body fat, and overall improvements in body composition. You can’t go wrong there, and just wait until you consider the benefits of throwing creatine into the mix!

Another study used a concentration of 10 g of protein, 8 g of carbs, and 3 g of fat, a ratio even more dramatic than the 1:1 option. Researchers found that participants saw a threefold increase in leg muscle synthesis and 12 percent increase in whole-body protein synthesis. Aerobic endurance athletes take note that the subjects also had an increase in leg muscle glucose uptake and whole body glucose utilization levels by 30 percent and 44 percent, respectively with the 10g/8g/3g supplement.

Last edited by Hit Em' Up; 06-16-2012 at 11:23 PM..
 5 years ago '06        #12
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
In the end it comes down to trying it for yourself and seeing how it goes. I don't think it makes a huge difference to be honest. I know my brother takes a weight gainer with like 100 grams of carbs PWO and he's doing good as well. I've made good gains as well with just eating a full meal PWO and not having any shakes at all.

Experiment...keep what works and discard what doesn't to maximize efficiency.

Last edited by Hit Em' Up; 06-16-2012 at 11:31 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #13
123456 1 heat pts
space
space
$6,272 | Props total: 273 273
Prodigy is right....it's unnecessary.

Your glycogen is NOT depleted after a workout. Unless you're an endurance athlete that works out at least 2 or 3 times a day, you don't need to have a "fast carb" meal or anything like that.

The only thing you need to worry about is getting the right amount of calories and protein in a day. CentsCuz...you can have 1 meal with 150g of protein or have 5 meals of 30 grams of protein in each one. Results will be the same.

A lot of stuff on this forum is old beliefs that many studies recently have been proven wrong. In the end, calories are what matter more than ANYTHING.
 5 years ago '04        #14
123456 1 heat pts
space
space
 Hit Em' Up said:
That video was painful to watch those guys are really annoying and take 100 years to get to the point.

Anyway, like I said in my first post you'll come across trainers and articles that both promote and discourage carbs PWO. The article in my first post discourages it but here is an exerpt from Charles Poliquins website. He is very well respected in the fitness industry having trained professional athletes such as Donovan Bailey. He is an advocate of carbs PWO.
After a video I watched recently from Poliquin, I refuse to listen to ANYTHING that he says anymore. He got one video where he talks about supplements that are "important". Do you know how many pills he tells people to take DURING their workout? over 50 pills....yes during a workout.

[video - click to view]

Last edited by 123456; 06-17-2012 at 12:06 AM..
 5 years ago '06        #15
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
 123456 said:
After a video I watched recently from Poliquin, I refuse to listen to ANYTHING that he says anymore. He got one video where he talks about supplements that are "important". Do you know how many pills he tells people to take DURING their workout? over 50 pills....yes during a workout.

Yea there's a sh*tload of pills because for whatever reason he's choosing not to take it in the free powder form. All those pills would probably equate to like 4-5 tablespoons. Poliquin's known to be a bit extreme (high dosing fish oil and protein consumption as well) but hes trained many professional athletes and gold medalists. Some of his methods of training and nutrition are geared more towards intermediate to advanced trainees without a doubt but don't be so quick to brush him aside. All professional athletes are on a sh*tload of supplements...anything that will deliver an extra boost.

Guaranteed if you got on any of his routines and followed his nutrition plans to a T no matter how crazy it sounded, you'd get GREAT results.
 5 years ago '04        #16
123456 1 heat pts
space
space
Poliquin knows about training...but I would not take his advice on nutrition.

I'd go with Alan Aragon and Lyle Mcdonalds nutrition advice over anyone elses. If you keep up with them, you'll realize that A LOT of sh*t that keeps getting preached has been proven false lately. Especially the whole "simple carbs" "low gi" "replenish your glycogen" stuff that everyone keeps talking about.

To be honest, everyone makes things more difficult than they should be. As far as training, all you need is progressive overload to gain muscle. For nutrition, all you need is the adequate number of calories and protein. I'm being extremely general with those 2 statements but all of the extra sh*t that is always being talked about is real unnecessary, especially for MOST people just trying to get in shape.
 5 years ago '06        #17
Hit Em' Up 61 heat pts61
space
space
space
 123456 said:
Poliquin knows about training...but I would not take his advice on nutrition.

I'd go with Alan Aragon and Lyle Mcdonalds nutrition advice over anyone elses. If you keep up with them, you'll realize that A LOT of sh*t that keeps getting preached has been proven false lately. Especially the whole "simple carbs" "low gi" "replenish your glycogen" stuff that everyone keeps talking about.

To be honest, everyone makes things more difficult than they should be. As far as training, all you need is progressive overload to gain muscle. For nutrition, all you need is the adequate number of calories and protein. I'm being extremely general with those 2 statements but all of the extra sh*t that is always being talked about is real unnecessary, especially for MOST people just trying to get in shape.
Like I said it comes down to a matter of opinion...the whole message in my all of my posts was pretty much that there's no definitive answer. There's high profile trainers and nutritionists on both sides that support and discourage it.

As for the last paragraph no one is talking about the bare minimum required to put on muscle...we know no supplement is a requirement. He wants to know if carbs are good or bad PWO and like I said you basically have to chose a side.
 5 years ago '04        #18
Prodigy 36 heat pts36
space
space
 CentsCuZ said:
The fact that you just used a Hodgetwins video in order to back up your argument shows you know nothing on the matter.

God damn
 5 years ago '04        #19
CentsCuZ 19 heat pts19
space
space
 Prodigy said:
The fact that you just used a Hodgetwins video in order to back up your argument shows you know nothing on the matter.

God damn
Yeah, cause I didn't post anything else, like an article which cites recent research.

Your dumb a.ss thinks you can take 150 grams of protein in one meal and have no other protein for the next 23+ hrs and have the same results as someone who gets 30 grams per meal every 3 hrs over the course of a day.
 5 years ago '04        #20
bibbyboi 25 heat pts25
space
space
$11,213 | Props total: 2214 2214
 CentsCuZ said:
Yeah, cause I didn't post anything else, like an article which cites recent research.

Your dumb a.ss thinks you can take 150 grams of protein in one meal and have no other protein for the next 23+ hrs and have the same results as someone who gets 30 grams per meal every 3 hrs over the course of a day.
I think I.F/IIFYM guys are proof that it doesn't make a noticeable difference until you get to the very top level of bodybuilding. For the average to above average joe, it wouldn't make even a noticeable difference to the eye or to your lifts.

But if you feel it works for you and you think it's beneficial more power to you. A lot of it is a placebo effect, and i'm not saying that in a bad way.
Home      

most viewed right now
Video inside Every retarded thot think they a dime on IG
16 comments
2 days ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside dannielledai
15 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ukrainian Fashion Model Mariya Melny Thong Bikini
33 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Boskoe 100 tells Trippie Redd,"You Can't Ban No One From L.A. If you fr..
51 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Article inside Rick Rossí Longtime Manager Black Bo Has Died
47 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside olliejayy (those pierced nipples...)
53 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Dec 9 - Scientists Create Vitamin A-Rich Fruit That Could Save Many Lives
34 comments
1 day ago
@news
most viewed right now
audio inside HOV IS Back!: Jay-Z - Motorsport Freestyle!!! FIREEEEEEE
131 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy