How to get into the "office type" job field

most viewed right now
NBA Bron and the Cavs been on they sh-t since ...
30 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Teanna Trump got a son now? :deadpg:
85 comments
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Birdman broke af - about to lose his mansion due to $12 Million Dollar Loan
137 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
yukmouth responded to gonzoe
20 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 07-19-2012, 07:04 PM         #21
AKS MUZIK  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Here is what I did......with 0 educaiton

My first office position was a 3rd party call centre. I was there for a little less then a year. Hated the position but it was good experience fi me...

early 2000 I applied for a call centre positon @ Rogers AT&T Wireless, they hired me and that's where my career really started.

Worked in the call centre for 2 years then was promoted to the Network Engineering Dept. Totally new to network stuff but I did job shadowing with the group and I got along with the mgr so he took me on.

I did that for about 5 years and I loved the position but the dept was moving to another city so I decided to move on.

Got a dream job at sony music as a marketing mgr and life's been great since............going 6 years strong

again, I did this with 0 education. life is not about what you know.....it's who you know.....Im the prime example....
ColeWorld gave props

5 years ago '04        #22
Q80 
space
space
space
$479 | Props total: 2 2
1st job: 45k(funds management) 3 weeks after graduation. Moved cities and was sleeping in backpackers/hostels. Nailed the interview and started shortly.
2nr Job: AMEX(55k): BS cust service job, quit after 7 months
3rd Job: Salesforce (Cust service 42k): Hustlin backwards, lasted 4 months
4th Job: Funds accountant ($80k) lasted 3 months then some dodgy internal politics went down
5th Job: Online banking ($65k) lasted 4 months then security check came back bad :( stay outta trouble
6th Job: Ad Agency: 80k. Worked it then quit it.. Then got a $90k role then pumped and dumped
7th Job: Business Development Manager for company that refits offices. $160k commission only. Commission only is BS
Quit working. I'm 27. sh*ts played out.
 5 years ago '09        #23
mtva24 224 heat pts224
space
space
$8,832 | Props total: 1147 1147
Temp agencies got me started after I graduated college
 07-19-2012, 10:37 PM         #24
Skratch  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Q80 said:
1st job: 45k(funds management) 3 weeks after graduation. Moved cities and was sleeping in backpackers/hostels. Nailed the interview and started shortly.
4th Job: Funds accountant ($80k) lasted 3 months then some dodgy internal politics went down
5th Job: Online banking ($65k) lasted 4 months then security check came back bad :( stay outta trouble
6th Job: Ad Agency: 80k. Worked it then quit it.. Then got a $90k role then pumped and dumped
7th Job: Business Development Manager for company that refits offices. $160k commission only. Commission only is BS

i feel u, that sh*t is wack, so how u live now?
 5 years ago '04        #25
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$7,815 | Props total: 1492 1492
 Q80 said:
Not trying to sh*t on your but how the hell did all those places hire you with all that bad work history?

no job now.... cmon son... you trollin...
 5 years ago '04        #26
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 specialk103185 said:
Get yourself a suit or nice pair of slacks, shirt and tie. Start out as a temp--that means you will fill in for data entry/clerical work when other people are out. These jobs are out there and they are always looking for people. Look in the phone book or online for Temp Agencies. Whenever you temp somewhere do a great job...if you are there for a couple of weeks, and you do a good job and people seem to like you, ask if you can use one of them as a recommendation when you are applying for a permanent position. Add any useful experience you gain from working at these places to your resume and then start applying for permanent positions at some of the labor jobs you are talking about. All of them probably needs someone to answer phones, file, and do things around the office. Start there until you find some place you really want to work then you will have the experience/resume to do so.

People forgot the little things like dressing nice it goes far....
 5 years ago '04        #27
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 AKS MUZIK said:

My first office position was a 3rd party call centre. I was there for a little less then a year. Hated the position but it was good experience fi me...

early 2000 I applied for a call centre positon @ Rogers AT&T Wireless, they hired me and that's where my career really started.

Worked in the call centre for 2 years then was promoted to the Network Engineering Dept. Totally new to network stuff but I did job shadowing with the group and I got along with the mgr so he took me on.

I did that for about 5 years and I loved the position but the dept was moving to another city so I decided to move on.

Got a dream job at sony music as a marketing mgr and life's been great since............going 6 years strong

again, I did this with 0 education. life is not about what you know.....it's who you know.....Im the prime example....
How did you go from networking engineering to marketing mgr? Did you know somebody or just got lucky?
 07-20-2012, 01:53 PM         #28
AKS MUZIK  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 egotistical said:
How did you go from networking engineering to marketing mgr? Did you know somebody or just got lucky?
LOL, Im still trying to figure that out myself.....

Tho network engineering was big money, it was super difficult. alot of code and numbers that ment nothing to me. I even tried going out into the fields and fix cell sites etc but it just wasn't me.

Sales/Marketing was something that I was born with, I bumped into a old bredren of mine who was a V.P of Operations @ Sony.....He linked it up
 07-20-2012, 08:41 PM         #29
DwRecKeR77053  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 egotistical said:
Not trying to sh*t on your but how the hell did all those places hire you with all that bad work history?

LMAO!

he's had better breaks than me.......back to back to back not just once in a lifetime lol..
 07-20-2012, 08:57 PM         #30
DwRecKeR77053  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 AKS MUZIK said:

true story..i knew people in fitness who were gm's, dm's, rvp's with no college education pushing $120k+++
 5 years ago '04        #31
Q80 
space
space
space
 Skratch said:

i feel u, that sh*t is wack, so how u live now?
SEO

egotistical said:

Bad history ? I actually moved up financially with each job, granted my tenure was poor. But sometimes its like that. I am better in 3-6 month contracting roles. Now I consult. My day rate $350-$450 a day. Work/Life balance.

Keep in mind. I'm 27. I make quite good living before and after tax > $2000 a week from the 1 contract, and I do some other stuff on the side(affiliate marketing, seo, cpa)
 5 years ago '04        #32
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 Q80 said:
SEO

Bad history ? I actually moved up financially with each job, granted my tenure was poor. But sometimes its like that. I am better in 3-6 month contracting roles. Now I consult. My day rate $350-$450 a day. Work/Life balance.

Keep in mind. I'm 27. I make quite good living before and after tax > $2000 a week from the 1 contract, and I do some other stuff on the side(affiliate marketing, seo, cpa)
My question was what company would hire you giving the poor tenure issues? If a person is going to pump and dump for a few months. The company is wasting a huge amount of money.

Consultant and Contract jobs are a extremely good way to make good money. Problem is being able to be extremely versatile (usually you need to have many skills) and find continuous gigs.

One of my future plans was to spend a number of years (5-20 years) in a position get good at it then do consultant and contract jobs.
 5 years ago '04        #33
Q80 
space
space
space
 egotistical said:
My question was what company would hire you giving the poor tenure issues? If a person is going to pump and dump for a few months. The company is wasting a huge amount of money.

Consultant and Contract jobs are a extremely good way to make good money. Problem is being able to be extremely versatile (usually you need to have many skills) and find continuous gigs.

One of my future plans was to spend a number of years (5-20 years) in a position get good at it then do consultant and contract jobs.
Dude I do not run the companies that hire me. I interview well. We can argue semantics but I am not a typical 9-5 person. It doesn't suit me. I realised that from my short stints @ jobs. Granted I have been promoted within 2-3 months per role, but I lose interest fast. In my first 3 months I can typically make some great advances then get bored regardless of income.

My backup plan was to run my dad companies. Which I will prob do in 2-3 yrs as 49% is in my name(since birth).

Biggest piece of advice I can give is to listen to no one, follow your instincts.
 5 years ago '04        #34
Q80 
space
space
space
 egotistical said:

@ spending 5-20 years in 1 role in order to consult. In this current economic environment ? wow man, that is way too long.
within 2-3 yrs you should be able to consult if you know what you are doing (do your own pr, social media, inflate your profile etc).
eitherway, i'm not here to give advice, just my 2 cents on what has worked in my life and led me to my current income.
 5 years ago '04        #35
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 Q80 said:
@ spending 5-20 years in 1 role in order to consult. In this current economic environment ? wow man, that is way too long.
within 2-3 yrs you should be able to consult if you know what you are doing (do your own pr, social media, inflate your profile etc).
eitherway, i'm not here to give advice, just my 2 cents on what has worked in my life and led me to my current income.
No I understand... some interesting advice... I just jumped at you because I have never seen anybody have a career like that... usually people are at companies years at a time... and that helps leverage them to another position...

2-3 yrs is an interesting swing on things... I might do that.. I am going to probably test the market at 2-3 years and do some side consultant work and see where that goes...
 5 years ago '04        #36
Q80 
space
space
space
 egotistical said:
No I understand... some interesting advice... I just jumped at you because I have never seen anybody have a career like that... usually people are at companies years at a time... and that helps leverage them to another position...

2-3 yrs is an interesting swing on things... I might do that.. I am going to probably test the market at 2-3 years and do some side consultant work and see where that goes...
max 12-18 months in 1 role these days. I'm Gen Y so we move around alot. Granted my work history wasn't stable. I work 6 months of the year and holiday 6 months for the last 5 years.

I must admit that I had a trust fund that had money in it so I could be a lil comfortable. However when that run out, I got more entrepreneurial. Joined about 20 meetup.com groups and learnt from quite a few good people, got some mentors on the low that realized I had no interest in corporate slavery. Took 1.5 yrs off (2010-2011 june) to just travel and live, hit up like 15 countries then came back and now I've been steady turning down work.

Work is cool but taxes really eat up too much of the money. 35% tax on $120k really hurts.
 07-26-2012, 02:39 PM         #37
DwRecKeR77053  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Q80 said:
max 12-18 months in 1 role these days. I'm Gen Y so we move around alot. Granted my work history wasn't stable. I work 6 months of the year and holiday 6 months for the last 5 years.

I must admit that I had a trust fund that had money in it so I could be a lil comfortable. However when that run out, I got more entrepreneurial. Joined about 20 meetup.com groups and learnt from quite a few good people, got some mentors on the low that realized I had no interest in corporate slavery. Took 1.5 yrs off (2010-2011 june) to just travel and live, hit up like 15 countries then came back and now I've been steady turning down work.

Work is cool but taxes really eat up too much of the money. 35% tax on $120k really hurts.
my parents always ridicule me for this too..oh well..i cant work for 30+ yrs at the same company..its not even possible now days..those days are ancient history. i have seen it happen too many times from relatives and friends...companies wait until a year, 6 months, 3 months before you can retire and they doom you..they then turn around and hire someone my age or younger for the same job and pay them 50-75% less than the tenure person. its smart to move around in the generation y and z economy. the strugglers of the impact are the baby boomers and generation x...

Last edited by DwRecKeR77053; 07-26-2012 at 02:43 PM..
 5 years ago '04        #38
egotistical 1 heat pts
space
space
space
 DwRecKeR77053 said:
my parents always ridicule me for this too..oh well..i cant work for 30+ yrs at the same company..its not even possible now days..those days are ancient history. i have seen it happen too many times from relatives and friends...companies wait until a year, 6 months, 3 months before you can retire and they doom you..they then turn around and hire someone my age or younger for the same job and pay them 50-75% less than the tenure person. its smart to move around in the generation y and z economy. the strugglers of the impact are the baby boomers and generation x...
I been in my current job for 1.5 years should I be looking to go to a different company or move up?
 5 years ago '04        #39
Q80 
space
space
space
 DwRecKeR77053 said:
Add to that getting promoted off tenure is just a joke. There were too many barriers to moving up in the corporate world that made no sense. Either way, happy where i'm at now in life regardless of what it took. 27, 6 figures after tax. I cannot complain.
 07-30-2012, 06:51 PM         #40
DwRecKeR77053  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
good for you man..im trying to hit the 6 figures before i leave the corporate world for good, if that happens..
Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside trust a big butt and smile
34 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside So Maliah blessed us this morning
74 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
89 comments
20 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside ‘Saturday Night Live’ and Kevin Hart Deliver One Disappointing Christma..
35 comments
21 hours ago
@movies
most viewed right now
vida guerra
84 comments
21 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Eaton this booty for Breakfast, Lunch, & Dinner
65 comments
18 hours ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Man Confronts His Baby Mother With DNA Proof That He’s Not Their Allege..
193 comments
23 hours ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
NBA Blew $100 million and STILL eating good
85 comments
21 hours ago
@sports
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy