How to get into the "office type" job field

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Sorry Em This Not It I Mean At Least You Tried
49 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Video inside Joe Budden Responds To Fans Saying Jeezy Had Him Scared & Shook On Ever..
70 comments
@hiphop
most viewed right now
NBA Warren Sapp blames CTE for sexually harassing woman
56 comments
@sports
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Ralo (Fam Goon) Posting Throwback MoneyBaggYo Ether
76 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 06-14-2012, 06:51 PM         #1
8808 pageviews
57 comments

TheCityOnMyMind 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
How to get into the "office type" job field

ok heres my story...

I grew up around factories and industry, where everyone had a job in making, building, or welding something or they worked for one of the auto plants or a auto mechanic.

this is all I know, and i don't like it. I hate these labor jobs.

right now i'm a carpet cleaner, and i hate it. I'm 23...i feel as if i dont do anything about this situation, than i'll be stuck with these labor jobs for my life..

what does it take to get into the office field? like data entry, excel, power point, or just a cubicle desk job.

I dont know how to obtain a job like this because i don't know anyone who has one. Can anyone give me some advice? should i go to college? what should i take up?

I already know how to do alot on the computer, what can i put on my resume to make it look good?

57 comments for "How to get into the "office type" job field"

06-14-2012, 07:40 PM         #2
TheCityOnMyMind  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Blood Edge said:
do you have a criminal record?
not really, why?
 06-14-2012, 08:07 PM         #3
BreatheEasyy  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
not really doesn't sound too promising. If you have a sweet personality go find yourself a sales job. Theres is good money and you wont be using your body for money.
 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM         #4
TheCityOnMyMind  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 eljesserocks said:
not really doesn't sound too promising. If you have a sweet personality go find yourself a sales job. Theres is good money and you wont be using your body for money.
I'm not a felon, and never did anything to ruin my self.

sales would be cool but i'm horrible at talking with people, especially trying to get someone to buy something
 5 years ago '05        #5
Demboyz746 
space
space
$1,569 | Props total: 103 103
go to indeed.com and apply for desk jobs simple point blank.. i have a corporate job and as you read this im out of town at a hotel that my company paid for.. So if i can do it, you can too. Just Pray, believe and keep applying.
 06-14-2012, 09:49 PM         #6
Patrick Galooly  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Learning how to spell the word field would be a good start.
 06-14-2012, 09:49 PM         #7
TheCityOnMyMind  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Demboyz746 said:
go to indeed.com and apply for desk jobs simple point blank.. i have a corporate job and as you read this im out of town at a hotel that my company paid for.. So if i can do it, you can too. Just Pray, believe and keep applying.
did you go to college or get a entry level job with out education?
what did you say/ put on your resume that made you look good?
 06-14-2012, 09:55 PM         #8
Real Hustler  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
make a resume and apply for clerical and clerk positions. they dont come with many qualifications.
 06-14-2012, 09:57 PM         #9
Skratch  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Im in the same position except im not doing labor im doing retail and i hate that sh*t, i hate standing up all day and want an office job, apply to temp agencies and go to indeed,careerbuilder, and simplyhired and search for "administrative a.ssistant, data entry, office a.ssistant, receptionist, clerical" separately,all of these are entry level positions and u should be able to get them without a degree but i had luck and i been doing it for a month now daily but no luck, some of those positions want ppl with previous office experience to be considered some dont it depends on the company
 5 years ago '04        #10
ShaneDawg 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$2,773 | Props total: 0 0
 Demboyz746 said:
and i would do those in the opposite order he listed them in
 5 years ago '05        #11
pnoi89 11 heat pts11
space
space
$11,303 | Props total: 4725 4725
Honestly, it really depends what you want to do. An "office job" is too general.
 06-15-2012, 07:51 AM         #12
Drone  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Volunteer for organization that give you the transferable skills on your resume.
 07-06-2012, 07:35 PM         #13
DwRecKeR77053  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
you have to look into something that you would like or put up with doing.. as far as office work, you can apply for clerk jobs, data entry, collections, call center jobs such as inbound/outbound calls for sales, customer service, or payment processing..call center jobs are easy to come by because they hire all the time since people do not stay long, and its high turnover. as long as you dont have a criminal background, you can work at a call center. most people who work at call centers dont have college degrees. front desk jobs are easy as well to get at an office, retail business, or gym. all you have to do is greet people, answer phones, process purchases from customers, and maybe making calls to collect late payments customers memberships accounts especially if you work at a gym.

Last edited by DwRecKeR77053; 07-06-2012 at 07:37 PM..
 5 years ago '05        #14
ReppinDaBurghh 55 heat pts55
space
space
$53,445 | Props total: 7088 7088
Office worker checking in. At work though. In for later.
 5 years ago '05        #15
KruptedWayz 21 heat pts21
space
space
space
$3,630 | Props total: 773 773
There's 3 basic programs I use at my job that you should get familiar with:

Excel
Powerpoint
Visio

If your job is more a call center, you'll be in a cubicle and most likely not need to know any of those programs. I had to work my way up from that cubicle to my own office.
 5 years ago '05        #16
StateProperty88 34 heat pts34
space
space
$39,881 | Props total: 8403 8403
i would say you need some type of formal education. at least and a.ssociates, if not a bachelors. however, with jobs being the way they are experience seems like its just as important as education...even for entry level positions

with that being said i would say stick in the field you know but try to get on the corporate side. those factories have offices (most likely). you'll need to have some tools (ms office). but try to get an office job in the field you're in. look up jobs and see what they are requiring, you'll get a good idea of what the consensus is
 5 years ago '09        #17
J Baltimore 1 heat pts
space
space
space
$27 | Props total: 1 1
get with a temp agency and make them like u. theyll put u in a sh*tty a.ssignment at 1st but if u impress them theyll keep putting u in places (theyll even lie to get u in there if they like u enough, my job history was terrible never worked anywhere for more than a few months & im 25 & tho i went to a prestigious college i never finished) and eventually one of them will hire u permanent. just happened to me. i went to temping in a warehouse to an office job with 401k, full benefits, paid vacation/holidays/sick leave/etc, discounts on cell phones, cars, etc, and no1 gives a fu*k if i come in a little late or leave a little early every once in a while. only black man in the office. company is well over 100 years old and growing (at least my dept is). dont get paid much still, but its better than where i was less than a year ago (sitting on my a.ss in the house broke and hustling a few pills here and there).
 5 years ago '08        #18
McBreezy 2 heat pts
space
space
space
$340 | Props total: 1 1
Another ups to temping. I finished college with a regular a.ss degree, nothing job related(econ/poli sci), from a run of the mill state school(USF) with no internships and abysmal work history(2 jobs, neither lasted over 4 months and weren't anything great). On top of that, I moved back home to my mommas house, which is in Gainesville, FL. If you don't know about it, it's UF and that's it, so everyone and their mother has a bachelors degree.

I was having no luck with jobs, and my moms suggested I goto a temp agency. I went, told them I wanted office work, took a typing/excel/word test(which I k!lled), and then did an interview with a staffer there. 4 days later, I'm workin at the university for 13/hour, and after 5 weeks of temping I was hired on full time at a significantly higher salary. I even had a juvenile crim record which I didn't disclose(didn't think I needed to), and they almost had to cancel my hire due to it. But because I had temped and did so well, my boss and his boss both went to bat for me and make sure the hire went through.

In short - go to a fu*king temp agency.
 5 years ago '07        #19
Bkjj11 3548 heat pts3548
space
space
$92,448 | Props total: 69961 69961
im bout to try this agency sh*t out if i cannot get anything. my girl recently told me to hold out on it for now tho since i just quit my job.
 07-19-2012, 06:45 PM         #20
AKS MUZIK  OP
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 specialk103185 said:
Get yourself a suit or nice pair of slacks, shirt and tie. Start out as a temp--that means you will fill in for data entry/clerical work when other people are out. These jobs are out there and they are always looking for people. Look in the phone book or online for Temp Agencies. Whenever you temp somewhere do a great job...if you are there for a couple of weeks, and you do a good job and people seem to like you, ask if you can use one of them as a recommendation when you are applying for a permanent position. Add any useful experience you gain from working at these places to your resume and then start applying for permanent positions at some of the labor jobs you are talking about. All of them probably needs someone to answer phones, file, and do things around the office. Start there until you find some place you really want to work then you will have the experience/resume to do so.
co sign and great advice.....

Home      

most viewed right now
Image(s) inside P0rnstar Skyy Black IG Pics
76 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
BOX Mayweather reveals comeback offer, fighting in ufc; poppin mad sh*t:"th..
42 comments
1 day ago
@sports
most viewed right now
Jeezy Sets the Record Straight With Budden and Akademiks | Everyday Struggle
290 comments
1 day ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside 19 yo Becky with a phatty 🍑
97 comments
2 days ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside PUBG XBOX ONE Official Thread
156 comments
2 days ago
@games
most viewed right now
Dec 11 - The bubble is here: People taking out mortgages to cop bitcoins
251 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Letís keep it real: is she a 6 in your area?
56 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside WTF is Rick & Morty?
113 comments
20 hours ago
@wild'ish
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy