most viewed right now
Damn!! Is all I can say
57 comments
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside Was there ever a bigger weed carrier than SliffStar
68 comments
@hiphop

section   (0 bx goons and 1 bystanders) Share this on Twitter   Share this on Facebook

Props Slaps
 6 years ago '04        #1
8682 pageviews
108 comments

georgebenson 9 heat pts
space
space
$496 | Props total: 141 141
Jun 13 - Why Smart People Are Actually Dumb

[pic - click to view]

Why Smart People Are Actually Dumb

The human brain is a weird old thing. When confronted with a new, uncertain situation, it virtually always abandons careful analysis, and instead resorts to a host of mental shortcuts—that almost always lead to the wrong answer. Turns out, the smarter you are, the more likely you are to make such mistakes.

A new study, published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, suggests that you can be insanely intelligent, and still fall foul when it comes simple problems because of deviations in judgment—which are known as "cognitive bias".

To work all this out, a team of researchers form the University of Toronto gave 482 students a questionnaire of classic bias problems to complete. An example question runs along the lines of:

A bat and ball cost a dollar and ten cents. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

If you're rushing, you might blurt out that the ball costs ten cents. It doesn't: it costs five. If you got it wrong, your brain made some shortcuts if thought made sense, but abandoned math along the way. (If you're sat there incredulously a.ssuming that anyone getting that wrong is a dumb-ass, hear this: more than 50 percent of students at Harvard, Princeton, and M.I.T. give the incorrect answer.)

The researchers also measured a phenomenon called "anchoring bias", but what they were really interested in a.ssessing was how the biases correlated with intelligence. So, they interspersed tests with with cognitive measures, like S.A.T. and Need for Cognition Scale questions.

The results are unnerving. Firstly, awareness of bias in one's thinking doesn't help. As the researchers explain: "people who were aware of their own biases were not better able to overcome them." Dammit.

Turns out that intelligence makes things worse, too. Writing in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology they explain that "more cognitively sophisticated participants showed larger bias blind spots." In fact, that finding held across many different biases, and individuals who deliberated longer seemed to be even more susceptible to making mistakes. Double dammit.

So what's going on? Why are smart people seemingly so dumb some of the time? Sadly, nobody really knows. The best hypothesis yet suggests that it's tied up with the way we perceive ourselves and others. Basically, the way we process information, so some researchers suggest, makes it far easier for us to spot biases in other people than it is for us to notice ourselves making the exact same mistakes.

As a result, it's not clear whether there's anything that can be done about shaking off the problem. I'd suggest a drink to take the edge off your intelligence, but then, I can't guarantee that would make things any better. [Journal of Personality and Social Psychology via The New Yorker]

[pic - click to view]

Why Smart People Are Actually Dumb

108 comments for "Jun 13 - Why Smart People Are Actually Dumb"

6 years ago '10        #2
Trilluminati GA 433 heat pts433
space
space
$49,878 | Props total: 13677 13677
stay high my friends
 06-14-2012, 11:46 AM         #3
evici1 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
Thread Title Don't Make Sense..
 06-14-2012, 12:00 PM         #4
Stabbin101 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
University of Toronto!!! My school n*ggas!!!
 6 years ago '11        #5
GetuOne 73 heat pts73
space
space
$4,475 | Props total: 6 6
I'm still trying to find out why I came up with 10 cents
 6 years ago '05        #6
nahsuhmeanz 
space
space
$9,949 | Props total: 2752 2752
 GetuOne said:
I'm still trying to find out why I came up with 10 cents
lmao i got it wrong too. we smart dumb n*ggas
 6 years ago '11        #7
Trolling 64 heat pts64
space
space
$1,947 | Props total: 56 56
x+(1+x)=1.10

2x +1=1.10
2x=.10
x=.05

I got it wrong the first time tooo

6 years ago '04        #8
EGO 55 heat pts55
space
space
$30,670 | Props total: 524 524
I got it wrong too
 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM         #9
youknowmystelo 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 6 years ago '06        #10
krizzo741 
space
space
$689 | Props total: 16 16
I agree because many smart people especially those with high iq levels lack common sense.
 06-14-2012, 04:21 PM         #11
kevante 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Trolling said:
x+(1+x)=1.10

2x +1=1.10
2x=.10
x=.05

I got it wrong the first time tooo

6 years ago '10        #12
WhoNextWithPlex 40 heat pts40
space
space
$9,843 | Props total: 6014 6014
funny how even the article wont explain how you end up with a value of 5 cents for the ball.

if the ball is 5 cents, and the first statement is that the bat costs 1 dollar more than the ball, how is the total money spent 1.10$?

my man up there has an equation that looks correct. but i see youve squared X. why? nobody said there were 2 balls. it states you bought a ball and a bat which cost 1 dollar and 10 cents. the bat is 1 dollar more than the ball. if the ball is 5 cents then why didnt you spend 1 dollar and 5 cents?

i feel like a retard.
 6 years ago '06        #13
Jhnnyblz427 175 heat pts175
space
space
$35,339 | Props total: 18306 18306
 WhoNextWithPlex said:
funny how even the article wont explain how you end up with a value of 5 cents for the ball.

if the ball is 5 cents, and the first statement is that the bat costs 1 dollar more than the ball, how is the total money spent 1.10$?

my man up there has an equation that looks correct. but i see youve squared X. why? nobody said there were 2 balls. it states you bought a ball and a bat which cost 1 dollar and 10 cents. the bat is 1 dollar more than the ball. if the ball is 5 cents then why didnt you spend 1 dollar and 5 cents?

i feel like a retard.
SMH

Because if the ball is 5 cents. and bat costs 1 dollar more. the bat costs 1.05. Bat plus ball is 1.05 + .5 which equals 1.10
 6 years ago '10        #14
zaneduson 8 heat pts
space
space
$279 | Props total: 262 262
 WhoNextWithPlex said:

i feel like a retard.

fu*king idiot...LMAO I KEEP REREADING IT AND LAUGHING MORE

"i see you squared X..."

6 years ago '08        #15
Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269
space
space
$22,380 | Props total: 7934 7934
i got it right, but i was on guard. wonder how i woulda did if i wasn't expecting it
 6 years ago '08        #16
Dee Grande 1269 heat pts1269
space
space
$22,380 | Props total: 7934 7934
 zaneduson said:

"i see you squared X..."

this dude is goin hard. probably got some bunsen burners lit, still tryna figure it out
 06-14-2012, 05:21 PM         #17
yeahson 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WhoNextWithPlex said:

i feel like a retard.
And this is why dumb people are actually dumb. I got the question wrong too but DAMN SON, you got your whole life wrong HAHAHA

6 years ago '11        #18
superdrunken 7 heat pts
space
space
space
$6,849 | Props total: 82 82
 zaneduson said:

"i see you squared X..."

I'm
 06-14-2012, 05:36 PM         #19
Demetri 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 Chest Rockwell said:
aint no baseball bats out there that cost $1.05, fu*k outta here
 06-14-2012, 05:43 PM         #20
Demetri 
space
space
space
$n/a | Props total:  
 WhoNextWithPlex said:

i feel like a retard.
gaaarrrd!!

Your going to feel real stupid when you read this again!!! for either 1 or 2 reasons lol

either:

1. You'll finally understand the Math and, be like..... "O, my beautifully written argument for why the total spend should be $1.5 was waaaaaay stupid!!

or

2. you'll be like..... I still dont understand!! loooooool

Home         

most viewed right now
So this nigga YBN Nahmir really a fraud nigga?
79 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Steph Kegels
133 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Bx, can she be saved? Or is she Too Far Gone?
110 comments
1 day ago
@thotsdimesetc
most viewed right now
Video inside US DEPARMENT OF DEFENSE RELEASES NAVY JET ENCOUNTER WITH UFO VIDEO :mjd..
73 comments
1 day ago
@wild'ish
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 16 - Virginia woman killed by her pit bulls in ‘grisly mauling’
191 comments
2 days ago
@news
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Is it just me or did Kanye West dress poorly during the College Dropou..
67 comments
2 days ago
@gear
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Joe Budden coming out of retirement in 2018 over amigos beef? “Enough ..
118 comments
2 days ago
@hiphop
most viewed right now
Image(s) inside Dec 15 - Matt Damon Is Sharing All His Bad Opinions on Sexual Misconduct
51 comments
2 days ago
@news
register contact Follow BX @ Twitter Follow BX @ Facebook search BX privacy